Mafia: Lifers vs Darkies

Comments

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Omei: Yeah. Would have been nice to at least live through the first night, first time playing. I didn't even get a chance to do anything more than bandwagon because I had no idea what else to do. We'll see if I try this another time.

• Well, as Teani didn't start a train on anyone... where does that really leave us? As was said, it seems they voted at random.
  • I am the doctor, I think that the best choice is to send a PM to me claiming roles and check for any counter claims, or in the least find out who the other village aligned power roles are. 

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    I'd guess Teani told someone sneaky what she was since Xenia was all bent on protecting herself, there was no reason not to take that opportunity to kill someone more vocal.

And yes, I'd suggest a mass claim to Xenia now. It's less powerful than it was originally since our cop is dead, but meh. I'll gather my thoughts and post my customary spam when I feel less lazy.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    There is the disturbing thought that Teani might have jumped the gun and claimed to Xenia early, but meh, if that's the case the real doctor should've really said something by now.
    Aryanne
  • Since we now know her affiliations now, I suggest everyone go back and read over Valenae's posts for gathering information. I also suggest looking at the people who contributed piddly squat but "sure I'll follow that train"
    Angwe, Iosyne, Piper & Ilyon stood out to me the most with Arbre, Alexina & Periluna taking a backseat in the questionably-quiet section.

This first round of kill-axe-ing has proven that: quiet background voters aren't necessarily suspicious and vocal voters aren't necessarily beyond reproach. (Val was reasonably chatty for a little while there until we got the Omei/Setne switch over)

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I've mostly been quiet because I'm not entirely familiar with the subtleties of the mafia games. In one game in the past, I was lynched in like the third or fourth round because I'd been vocal so I'm sort of just trying to get my bearings. Anyway, since Xenia is (supposedly) the Luminary, shouldn't we be able to start getting the lifer special roles together? What'd be the next step?
    Also, I need to bookmark this thread. I forget reading through the new posts.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Well, the last time there was a Mafia game, we lost players because I was WAY too noisy and was all roleplaying in the thread with a group. Trying to fnd the middle ground when it comes right down to it. As far as I'm concerned, we all have a chance of being guilty, even if we claim otherwise. At this moment, I think we're still all flailing around in the dark. I'm holding my vote as I continue to watch people.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Aryanne said:
    Arbre taking a backseat in the questionably-quiet section.

Dang, and I thought I was talking more.  I've played a couple of mafias but I still don't quite get them well enough to be terribly useful (especially in the beginning).
  • @Moirean: do we know how many shots the Daru/Syssin have left, or is that something we have to track independently?

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    edited June 2013
    hmm I do not believe we have seen or heard from @Ilyon on this thread, and it is the quiet ones you have to watch out for.  

VOTE: Ilyon
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    The shots are at 2 each.

• Aryanne said:
    Since we now know her affiliations now, I suggest everyone go back and read over Valenae's posts for gathering information. I also suggest looking at the people who contributed piddly squat but "sure I'll follow that train"
    Angwe, Iosyne, Piper & Ilyon stood out to me the most with Arbre, Alexina & Periluna taking a backseat in the questionably-quiet section.

This first round of kill-axe-ing has proven that: quiet background voters aren't necessarily suspicious and vocal voters aren't necessarily beyond reproach. (Val was reasonably chatty for a little while there until we got the Omei/Setne switch over)
    True. I share your general suspicions, although I'm retaining a healthy skepticism of everyone at this point - even Xenia, who I don't think I'm going to commit to 100% until the Daru or scum hit her shield. I'd like to see the people who trained on Valenae give an accounting of themselves and speak up a bit more, as I am certain we will find at least some of our remaining scum in that list of names. Knowing what I do of the game, it's that the closer to the tail end of a vote people get, the more likely they are to be scum, who feel that with the number of people who have already committed to the vote, they're 'safe'.

At the same time, though, Valenae's presence establishes that not all the scum in this game are going the quiet route. The best way to get more information, at this point, is to force the quiet people to speak up in their own defense. To that end, I'm going to throw out a preliminary vote against...

VOTE: Piper

You were in a real rush to get the last round wrapped. While I understand that it had been drawn out, you seemed especially anxious, and your vote was all over the place. Care to give an accounting of that?

i am rapture coder
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited June 2013
    Surprisingly, after the loss of their Sentaari, the crowd still had appetite for breakfast and so the group began a slow, shambling shuffle down the buffet line. Porridge, sausages, pancakes, all got piled up on their plates - one woman, in particular, scooped up double portions. Perhaps her exceptionally restful sleep had her ravenous. Maybe it was because she was eating for two, what with her angel and all to care for.

Whatever the cause, it only made it all the more tragic when she fell to the ground, suddenly grasping at her throat. Her face began to turn a steady shade of purple and her tongue lolled out as her eyes widened. And then she died. The end.  All that food wasted.

Xenia has been assassinated.
    She was the Luminary.

SEVEN votes are now needed for a lynch.
  • Oh, hell.

i am rapture coder
    Aryanne
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    the fact that Esper asked how many shots was left, makes them VERY specious in my eye....

UNVOTE: Ilyon

VOTE: ESPER
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Course, I'll explain. Not every person in this place is a grand speaker, some of us just know when to nod at logic when it pops up. Seemed to me that Ezalor made sense, so I followed his judgement calls rather then hop on and point a finger without having any reason to.

As for wrapping up the day round, you can't blame me and JUST me for wanting that. As much as I love the sunlight, a girl's got to get their beauty sleep at some point.

• edited June 2013
    @Piper: I can grant you that everyone must have been getting a bit frustrated by then. What Ezalor says does make a great deal of sense, and you did stick with your vote for a while before switching onto the train. You strike me as less suspicious, at the moment, than some of the other people in this thread.

@Macavity: I'm not sure I buy your logic, to be quite honest with you. If Esper were one of the roles that had ammunition, he wouldn't have asked in-thread to check - he'd know for sure he hadn't used his ammunition. That would be too obvious and give him away. If anything, I'm betting he's one of the vampires, although at this point I'm skeptical even of that. I have a sneaking suspicion that your first vote, for Ilyon, was more on the money. Until otherwise convinced, I'm going to lay my actual bets on him.

@Ilyon: You've been very quiet, and your voting has been very suspicious. Let's hear it, pal.

UNVOTE: Piper
    VOTE: Ilyon

i am rapture coder
    Aryanne
  • @Macavity seems to be holding a grudge against me, which I don't blame him for; I did start the train which almost strung him up.  Like @Omei said, though, I wouldn't have asked about ammunition if I were the syssin, that would have been way too obvious.

I'm not quite ready to vote for him yet, but @Ilyon has jumped onto every bandwagon early. He at least made a courtesy effort about a reason, but nothing too draw too much attention to himself.

Re: @Esper

I'd just like to point out that everyone in the thread don't want to draw too much attention to themselves. Really, no one wants to get voted off, so no one would intentionally go out to draw attention to themselves. Well, the Luminary was an exception in this game, but we all saw how that worked out.

I just keep reading posts and my conclusion so far is 'everyone is a vampire' (some people that post a lot are trying to start trains for very whimsical reasons and people who don't post at all are just trying to remain below the radar) and then I really have no idea what to think. So far, Omei and Ezalor are the ones that seem to make the most reasonable points, which doesn't necessarily exclude them from being mafia. Still, if they're not vampires, they might actually have a chance of winning the game for us. So:

Vote: Ilyon

I guess I have somewhat of a sheep mentality right now, but we're only in the second day and there's not really all that much information to go on. Well, at least not that I can discern.
  • Mm, suspicious voting. It was the day one, not much more to do than flail randomly.

Anyway, let's see! We have some interesting information, fortunately.

First, Ezalor stops the Macavity vote, stating that Macavity randomly claimed some role to him. Why would Macavity randomly claim role to Ezalor? This makes no sense whatsover.

Then, Ezalor shifts the vote to Xenia, claiming her to be 60% mafia and a near-sure lynch. And Xenia turns out to be the luminary.

Then, Ezalor and Xenia start organizing the town, asking other power roles to sync with them. Omei then starts the Valenae vote (which indicates that Omei is fine) and is successful. All is well, and then the vampires get the sentaari.

Luck? Maybe. But there's an awful lot of luck going on here - first we nearly hit the luminary, then we do score a lucky hit against the vampire, and now the vampires strike a lucky hit against the sentaari. So much luck, mm, we should start selling it.

Unless ... what if the last hit wasn't a lucky hit at all? What if Teani did reveal her role to Xenia and Ezalor both (which is a reasonable assumption) in an attempt to coordinate? The most obvious conclusion to draw from all that is fairly simple:

VOTE: Ezalor

• I'm not sure I agree with you, Ilyon. Let's go point by point.

Ezalor and Macavity likely communicate OOC because of their shared allegiance in Aetolia; Ezalor, being obviously very experienced with the game, probably advised Macavity, and Macavity, in a novice display, probably confessed his role to him. It is for that reason that I am willing to accept the claim implicitly until otherwise stated, as such mistakes are typical of beginning players.

Ezalor's claim as regards Xenia was one I might have made myself, had I been in the game earlier; it is very easy for inexperienced players, like Xenia, to come off as scum when they don't actually mean to. Ezalor's reaction was studied, informed by by the same context of experience that I draw on, and he made an assumption that overestimated, rather than correctly estimated, Xenia's intentions.

Your third point is inaccurate. At no point did Ezalor suggest that anyone communicate with him; he knows for a fact he isn't a guaranteed town, and he wouldn't presume to act the part. What he suggested was that people communicate with Xenia, who seemed a far more likely prospect at that point - which is an intention I agree with, even if I wanted to wait for the Daru to directly confirm her role before trusting her.

While it is possible that Teani confessed her role, it seems a bit farfetched as a narrative; she was playing her cards close to the chest and doing quite well for a novice player, and it doesn't strike me as the sort of mistake she'd easily make. No; my appraisal is that the vampires voted, randomly, and got lucky. You're right in that a lot of very strange coincidences have occurred one after another, but it seems to me more plausible to write them off as mere coincidence than to construct a narrative that flies in the face of every sensible strategy connected to this game. Your story requires not just that the players be novices, but that they actively do things that render them at risk of dying.

So, for these reasons, my vote remains on you.

i am rapture coder
  • Shrug, not agreeing with my reasoning isn't a reason to suspect me, but you are free to do so nonetheless. You are also wrong, of course, but I'd claim that even if it were not the case, so there's that.

All I can do is advice you to pay close attention to who participates on this voting train, as you'll need it after you find out that I am, in fact, perfectly innocent.

• aww didn't know Syssin got day shots :(

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden

Xenia said:
    aww didn't know Syssin got day shots :(
    Same. No idea how that role works.

Aryanne

• Teani said:

Xenia said:
    aww didn't know Syssin got day shots :(
    Same. No idea how that role works.
    Yeah, I'm alright, prefer to watch and learn from this point. Also, not sure if forum post mafia is for me, I think I'll stick to the actual real time games in game I start up. Less deliberation. 

• Omei said:

Your third point is inaccurate. At no point did Ezalor suggest that anyone communicate with him; he knows for a fact he isn't a guaranteed town, and he wouldn't presume to act the part.

Actually, yes he did. On multiple occasions:

We started talking about how that was a horrible idea and he supported the point, and then we argued about it for a bit starting around here. I argued the point you're claiming he already understood.

Omei
  • Oh. My mistake, and I stand corrected. I suppose Ilyon claims a fair point, but I still don't buy Ezalor being scum. He strikes me more as a townie suggesting extreme measures to try and win the game, and he was always careful to emphasize the risk to himself; no. Our scum are playing very strangely, like they're new to the game, and if Ezalor were one I think we would have seen a more judicious night kill based on existing information. Instead he spoke as if he had nothing to lose; suggesting that he is, in fact, a plain townie. I disagree re: putting faith in Xenia without testing, but otherwise his logic makes a great deal of sense.

i am rapture coder
    Piper