Short Questions

Comments

• Tza said:
    How does avoidance work exactly?

From the helpfile:

9.1.1 Avoidance

As you train in Avoidance, you will learn the art of controlling your
    prana-musculature in order to avoid physical attacks (such as a sword) or
    lessen the damage received from a physical attack by partially dodging it and
    thus taking the wound on a less damaging place.

There are five different Dodge/Divert types:
       * Melee   - Cutting/blunt damage melee attacks.
       * Ranged  - Ranged physical attacks, such as arrows, and throwing.
       * Charges - Any attack which moves the user from one room to another.
       * Upsets  - Avoiding balance and equilibrium loss on attacks.
       * All     - All of the above, but with a far smaller chance.

How does Ranged, Charges and Upsets work in pk? Does it give an actual chance to dodge, thus avoiding the effect (for example room movers) or just lessen the damage? What's the chance in any case?

Does no one know? *sad panda*
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited April 2013
    It does both. You can sidestep an attack entirely or divert it to take less damage. I don't know how entirely well it works for ranged stuff. I do know that you CAN, especially with bows and joust back when that was a thing (omg joust spam) and handaxe spam (sadface), but there might be guaranteed hits for some skills like movement attempts.

As for the chance, I'm fairly certain that it's supposed to be higher when you focus on a certain type, but I don't know the numbers. Also, your worn armour level factors in as a negative to your chance, while dexterity gives you a higher dodge chance. Edit: Oh duh, it's right there in the help file these days.

I'm really bad with numbers - I'm sure someone has a spreadsheet or something somewhere?

Tza
  • Tekura: Do I need to get graded for each kata, one at a time? Or can I just powerlearn my way to Trans, and master the last one? Or do I still have to master one before I move on to the next?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Rivas said:

Tekura: Do I need to get graded for each kata, one at a time? Or can I just powerlearn my way to Trans, and master the last one? Or do I still have to master one before I move on to the next?

I want to say you can learn to trans but you'll still need to be graded for each kata unless you're a "novice". Then you gotta learn up to Orange belt graduate then proceed as normal.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    The last time I had tekura, no, you don't need to master/be graded on katas, but if you do, you get a small bonus to...tekura-y things.
    Haven
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    There's an accuracy and damage bonus if your katas are fully graded. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • Right, I was just wondering if it went master/grade, then master/grade, then master/grade, or if it was better to master/master/master/grade/grade/grade...

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Rivas said:
    Right, I was just wondering if it went master/grade, then master/grade, then master/grade, or if it was better to master/master/master/grade/grade/grade...
    Doesn't matter. Either or works.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • If you want to multiclass into a class that has 2 of the same skillsets as your original one, do you still have to learn those skillsets for the new class, or just the 1 skillset you didn't have in common?
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • edited April 2013
    Malok said:
    If you want to multiclass into a class that has 2 of the same skillsets as your original one, do you still have to learn those skillsets for the new class, or just the 1 skillset you didn't have in common?
    Unfortunately you've gotta pump the lessons back into all of the skills. The idea is that soon(tm) there won't be classes sharing skills. 
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • Aldric said:
    Malok said:
    If you want to multiclass into a class that has 2 of the same skillsets as your original one, do you still have to learn those skillsets for the new class, or just the 1 skillset you didn't have in common?
    Unfortunately you've gotta pump the lessons back into all of the skills. The idea is that soon(tm) there won't be classes sharing skills. 
    So the Praenomen and Bloodborn will have seperate skillsets? Hmm.
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Yeah, don't hold your breath on that one though.
  • Yeah, that's the whole 'coming revamps' thing. Happily, there's only a handful of skills that are shared amongst viable multiclass options - tekura, necromancy/domination, corpus/mentis and illumination. There's also toxicology and venoms, but those are different in name, so I'm not sure what to think of those, particularly since toxicology requires a woodlore ent to function.

That said, don't expect it to be something that happens this year or maybe even next, considering the rate of revamps. The priority seems to be dealing with the classes that have a mercantile skill first, meaning ascendril, sciomancer, sentinel and syssin will all be getting, at the very least, a third class skill if not a full revamp (we already know both magi are getting the full treatment).

• edited April 2013
    <P>Try to figure out if this is a good order to build my envenomer with, this is the main two I just made for use as a Carnifex. So I can pretty much do two venoms at a time and think the order is wrong. Well it feels like its wrong at least, so should I swap stuff around etc</P>
    <P><STRONG><EM>Undead/living kelp stack</EM></STRONG></P>
    <P>stupidity,<BR>Paralysis,<BR>clumsiness,<BR>weariness,<BR>limpveins,or asthma<BR>slickness,<BR>belonephobia, or anorexia<BR>vomiting,<BR>recklessness,<BR>rightlegbroke,<BR>leftlegbroke,<BR>rightarmbroke,<BR>leftarmbroke,<BR>darkshade,<BR>voyria,</P>
    <P><STRONG><EM>Fallback limb stack</EM></STRONG></P>
    <P>paralysis,<BR>stupidity,<BR>rightlegbroke,<BR>leftlegbroke,<BR>slickness,<BR>rightarmbroke,<BR>leftarmbroke, <BR>vomiting,<BR>hepafarin,<BR>clumsiness,<BR>weariness,</P>
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
    edited April 2013
    You can toss in prefarar as well after weariness, though I'm on the fence about that these days. It used to be a no-brainer when I was a paladin, because of battlecry, but unless you are at max soul speed, it might not be worth it since we can't capitalize on deafness except for charge/wail/skewer.
    Mastema
  • Yeah I am not sure either. I was going to add it to the stack, but I thought the same, mmm.
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
    Well, on the other hand, if you have them behind enough, you'll just constantly be keeping sensitivity on them, which is useful in its own right.
  • edited April 2013
    Can anyone explain why lycanthrope limb damage scales with health?

Or, alternatively, does anyone know how much it scales by?
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Isto said:
    Can anyone explain why lycanthrope limb damage scales with health?

Or, alternatively, does anyone know how much it scales by?
    I've always thought it was the dumbest thing ever, and it needs to be killed with fire. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    LaniraIsto
  • So, I managed to get my hands on a good bit of bound credits recently due to protege purchases, cashing out about 500k gold, membership, and the recent bound credit/levelling change. Even though I said I never would, I'm highly considering getting a Hammer of Forging since I'm over halfway there. Is it really worth it? Is it worth it if you don't own a shop? Does it actually decrease the balance times for all the Forging commands?
    edited April 2013
    It does not decrease the times (though being dexterous does). - Note, I do have the racial bonus.

An example of the differences in stats
    Bucklers:
    WITHOUT HAMMER (reinforced, +5 to blunt)
    #163829              32           27           120          No
    #166078              33           26           120          No

WITH HAMMER (reinforced, +5 to blunt)
    #171589              33           32           120          No
    #209490              32           34           120          No

NOW, let us look at extremes for weapons:
    Clubs
    WITHOUT HAMMER (lightweight, +6 to speed)
    #235941         67        91        170       0         80        No
    #36920          69        92        169       0         80        No

WITH HAMMER (lightweight, +6 to speed)
    #235363         70        91        177       0         80        No
    #235567         70        92        177       0         80        No

WITH hammers, for weapon extremes the average is around 175, as opposed to the 167 average for without hammers. This does not mean that you cannot get the 178-179 without hammers - you just have to spend more time and comms working on it.

NOTE: These are just slapped together, the first handful of each iteration.

• Interesting. Do you feel its a worthwhile investment?
    Considering forging is such a large part of my character, her RP, and something I personally enjoy doing (I'm a bit, JUST A BIT NOBODY COMMENT, of a cold-arms and armour nerd OOC), yes. If it is just something you're going to be dabbling with on the side, I'd say no, just borrow one from someone. I frequently lend mine to a certain Belgarion en masse.
  • I know credits bought through the website can be transferred between characters...but what about giftbags and stuff like that? Can those be transferred too?

Last time this came up, the ruling was no. 
  • (I think I'm the one who asked last time, too. I'll just copy/paste the question for the next time we have a giftbag promotion.)

• Another multiclassing question. I only have Praenomen, I do have Transcendent in all three skills. If I gain the class of say, Sciomancer, can I just learn 1 of those new skillsets to Transcendent and then still be able to switch freely between the two classes?
  • Once you get a new class, you've got it. You don't have to be Trans in order to switch back and forth between what you've already got, you only have to learn to a certain level if you want to learn a -new- class.

Haven
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    A third class would require you to dutrans/trivirt.
  • Is there any etiquette here for a polite length of time to wait for a reply, before awkwardly just abandoning a conversation that might be dead?

It's hard to tell sometimes if people are just responding slowly, or have randomly decided to go afk.