Aetolian AMA

Comments

• IosyneIosyne the Lair
    edited March 2013
    Seir said:

@Everyone: If there was a second Divine for your character to serve, who would it be and why?

If She weren't so self-serving, Iosyne would totally have a complex towards @Severn.

I'll also answer some AMAs, selectively.
  • Seir said:
    Alright, since I'm coming back, I'll participate as well.

@Everyone: If there was a second Divine for your character to serve, who would it be and why?

[spoiler] Periluna had only served Auresae, but with her now being a Syssin and most of her ideals changing (not completely though) - She agrees with a lot of Maghak's tenets. [/spoiler]
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    Seir said:
    @Emelle: With Omei gone, has her loyalties to the Order changed at all?
    [spoiler]No.  Despite that she's the only remaining active Order member, Emelle is still completely devoted to Omei.  She struggles with Her absence, but it would take something massive to shake her loyalty.[/spoiler]
  • Seir said:

[spoiler] Good question. I don't think Lia would choose a second divine even if she had the choice. Although, if she ever were to do it, or change to someone else completely, I could see her going for Auresae [/spoiler]
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited March 2013
    Seir said:

[spoiler]He'd be a shoe-in for Omei's order, especially with the aspects of supernatural terror and mind games associated with Her. Angwe would revel in that shit.[/spoiler]
  • edited March 2013
    Seir said:

[spoiler]A casual atmosphere, drunken debauchery and random fistfights? Haern please.[/spoiler]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

• edited March 2013
    @Iosyne: I'm not sure if this appropriate for this thread or not since it's more OOC than IC, but where do you draw your inspiration from for Iosyne's antics/teachings/etc.? I absolutely love the horrifying touch you've placed in the Goddess, and she's just.. well.. creepy as hell. In a totally awesome way.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
  • Real life, obviously.

IosyneDharEzalorLinPiperArbreAldricRhoKiyotan
    edited March 2013
    @Iosyne: As the only active (last remaining?) member of Omei's order, Emelle is such an easy target -- why has Iosyne approached her with occasional conversations instead of enacting some kind of dreadful torment?

@Seir (I realize this is totally a spoiler-y question and also vague, so feel free to disregard or be as vague as you want in return, but NONETHELESS): Do you find yourself approaching Seir's character differently as you're returning to the game, and if so, how?

@Everyone: If your character's guild ended up being one of the next ones on the chopping block, how would your character react?
  • @Everyone: Which NPC could you see your character dating/being BFF's with?

I guess I'll answer some questions too.

• AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    Angwe said:
    Seir said:

Emelle said:

@Everyone: If your character's guild ended up being one of the next ones on the chopping block, how would your character react?
    [spoiler] Auresae, obviously. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Alistaire would probably join the Daru and hang out with the other crazy ass zealots. [/spoiler]

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Dhar said:
    @Everyone: Which NPC could you see your character dating/being BFF's with?

[spoiler]Baelak Shipbreaker.[/spoiler]
    Periluna
  • Emelle said:
    [spoiler] He'd resignedly accept it and probably hang around guildless or do something drastic like go to Duiran. Yeah, that's drastic for him. [/spoiler]
    Dhar said:

[spoiler] I can see him being BFF's with Tuiln, but he wouldn't date anybody because he's trying to be faithful.[/spoiler]

Questions...

@Angwe: Why is he so fluent in Yeleni but so short in common? Is there a reason, like he doesn't like common as a language or something? It interests me.

@Dhar: Was Dhar kind of hoping for a war with Chakrasul? 

@Periluna: What happened to make a follow of Auresae go Syssin? 

@Everyone: Is there a certain age that you most associate with your character and/or what is the mental age of your character? 

• IosyneIosyne the Lair
    edited March 2013
    Aldric said:
    @Iosyne: I'm not sure if this appropriate for this thread or not since it's more OOC than IC, but where do you draw your inspiration from for Iosyne's antics/teachings/etc.? I absolutely love the horrifying touch you've placed in the Goddess, and she's just.. well.. creepy as hell. In a totally awesome way.
    [spoiler]Despite evidence to the contrary, I don't know much at all of the Lolth or Drider lore. If anything, Iosyne's lair and the lore behind the doubles/simulacrums is a combination of Lovecraft's Old Ones, Warcraft scourge, and the homunculi from FMA. When I was writing up the concept of Iosyne, I was thinking primarily about how to occupy an underserved demographic - the Shadow pantheon lacked a truly in-your-face, unapologetic, malicious God/dess. I aimed to balance a volatile and unfriendly personality with very accessible teachings and tangible, straightforward goals. Her Rules - as a few people have already pointed out - draw a healthy amount of inspiration from Fight Club (Draden Jibbs is very Tyler). Her Order mobs are pretty much in line with that mindset - say what you mean, not a lot of fluff kinda folk - and are very easy to relate to. On the adverse, Iosyne is purposely difficult to relate to or even like, and that's the space I enjoy having Her occupy. She is both hateful and hated, and so much of Her symbolism and imagery revolves around forcing the unpleasant on people - the spiders, centipedes, gore, offal, et cetera. When I think about how Iosyne presents Herself, I think about what people loathe and start from there. The more visceral and emotional, the better - at the end of the day, She wants people to be enraged, maddened, and otherwise highly motivated to do something insane and/or dangerous. That's the world She wants to live in.[/spoiler]
    Emelle said:
    @Iosyne: As the only active (last remaining?) member of Omei's order, Emelle is such an easy target -- why has Iosyne approached her with occasional conversations instead of enacting some kind of dreadful torment?
    [spoiler]This question was surprisingly more complex than I thought it would be. Iosyne is definitely dreadful and cruel and all of those things, but She tends to direct Her wrath to whatever is directly in front of Her face at the moment. Until She has a real plan on how to enact revenge on Omei, the followers of Omei will likely fly safely under the radar unless they stand out somehow. Secondly, and this is more of an OOC answer, I don't generally like to mess with other Orders that don't have an active God, it would just seem unfair to do something mean to Emelle and leave her with no real way to get back at Iosyne.

tl;dr version: Iosyne has a very short-term attention span and I don't really like imbalanced Godmoding that might upset a player.[/spoiler]
    AldricEmelleAngweHadoryuNola
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    edited March 2013
    Seir said:

[spoiler]Arb couldn't follow any other divine, but her love of Kalavar could easily descend into worship - it's on its way there already.[/spoiler]

Seir said:
    @Arbre: Arbre is engaged. What caused her to change and ultimately become monogamous?

[spoiler]It's taking me forever to come up with an answer for this.  I guess the ultimate reason is because I, as a player, was bored.  I realized that I needed to drop some of her habits to be able to have her more sociable so that I can actually play the game with other people.[/spoiler]

Emelle said:
    [spoiler]Depression.  She already feels like she's letting the guild down.[/spoiler]

• @Everyone: If there was a second Divine for your character to serve, who would it be and why?

[spoiler]
    I think Konnorn would most likely lean towards Slyphe. The thought of adaptation and change is appealing to him and would fit well with the Sentaari ideals.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
    Frustrated. He loves his guild and all the members. It's always a good atmosphere among the members that he haven't really seen elsewhere.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
    The nameless monk attendant in the Chapel of Change. He visits him often enough to be a bff.
    [/spoiler]

@Everyone: Is there a certain age that you most associate with your character and/or what is the mental age of your character?

[spoiler]
    Mid-twenties to early thirties. Konnorn was accidentally molded after a friend of mine, so that's how I see him.
    [/spoiler]

Edhain
  • Edhain said:
    @Dhar: Was Dhar kind of hoping for a war with Chakrasul? 

[spoiler]Dhar? Yes, absolutely. He'd never pass up a chance to smack @Chakrasul around, and I'm certain the feeling is mutual.[/spoiler]
    EdhainDaskalos
    Edhain said:

[spoiler]For some reason, I think of Emelle as being the equivalent of a well-preserved human at sixty years.[/spoiler]

@Iosyne: That's a really good answer. You have my permission to mess, though! Emelle's a tough cookie, and conflict is always fun. :D
    EdhainAryanne
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited March 2013
    Dhar said:
    [Spoiler]Nianvi and Korvok all the way. All of the ways. Yes.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] Something between an old, world-weary vet forever disappointed, a confused/opinionated Russian/Slavik/Yiddish wisened matriarch (Vhat, vhat is it alvays vith the crying?), and something I'd ballpark around their 40s, the ornery out-of-place uncle/aunt- determined and still having shit to get done and bordering a mid-life crisis, but will still drink you under the table and tell your children jokes with curses in them, just because it upsets you.[/spoiler]

EdhainHaydyn
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica

[spoiler]
    Phoe doesn't follow any god since she's too fickle to trust any of them to any deep extent. The only ones she'd probably consider are Auresae or Slyphe.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
    Annoyed. She's a knight through and through (shady tendencies aside), and there aren't really any other guilds that she thinks she'd feel at home in, so if the Templars ever fell under, she'd probably just go back to being a rogue knight.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
    Matilda the baker in Attica. ICly, she's the one that's been teaching Phoe how to cook.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
    Physically, Phoe looks like she's in her mid- or late-twenties. In terms of emotional/intellectual age, it gets more complicated. At baseline, she acts like she's in her twenties. When she's being more mentoring and advisorly, she feels more like she's in her thirties or forties. And when she's bored or goofing off, she acts like a child.
    [/spoiler]

• Wow Areka. <3
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Edhain said:

[spoiler]It shouldn't surprise anyone that I always place Lin, mentally, in her early twenties or so. Or used to, anyway![/spoiler]
  • @Everyone: If your character's guild ended up being one of the next ones on the chopping block, how would your character react?

[spoiler]Rivas would probably go rogue again, MAYBE lean towards the Daru. Maybe. He's not a Knight, and he'll always stick with Eno.

Trask would just...find someone else, he's hopped around enough lately. Probably go back to the wolves. MAAAAAYBE go lighter and join the Sentinels. MAYBE. (Probably not)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Rivas: Oh man, Arion's old priestess/library lady...I think her name was Lona, or something like that? Her description literally had the words "leather and lace". C'MON.

Trask: Draden and Trask could be BFFs, definitely. They'd just beat each other up when they get bored.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Rivas is, and has always, been an extension of me. So basically he's in his late 20s now, physically. Mentally he's been through plenty of stuff and is WELL over 200 years old, so he's one of those "old souls in a young body" kinda guys. I think of Dom from Inception as inspiration sometimes.

Trask is harder, physically, cause he's so...inhuman. Maybe 20s/30s? He's kinda timeless, though, no matter what he is. He's just a mean cuss.[/spoiler]

Aryanne
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Emelle said:
    @Seir (I realize this is totally a spoiler-y question and also vague, so feel free to disregard or be as vague as you want in return, but NONETHELESS): Do you find yourself approaching Seir's character differently as you're returning to the game, and if so, how?

[spoiler]I did a few things for Seir so he'd have a personality to come back to if I decided to play again. But, I made a post in a Historic Messages thread earlier about a really chilling but enlightening discovery I made by reviewing some of my oldest messages and reading how they started so positive and progressed to sad/bored and eventually to full of vitirol and petty stuff. I realized that I, as a player, was letting too much negativity and drama from stuff that was going on in my life leak into Seir as a character. Who, when I started him, was not brash, impulsive, or eager to impress or cater favor. I think now I'm getting a chance to develop Seir into who he was really meant to be after coming to grips with the Aalen tragedy and allowing him to be something more than a warrior or someone who lives solely for his oath. He has personality, spark, independence and it came to life for the first time in a long time earlier in a roleplay session with Angwe today. As far as what will happen with him, I don't know and that's the fun in it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Govon. That durdalis knows how to hold his drink, man.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Seir looks, thinks, and feels like a 50-year old man. While it wouldn't be accurate for him to be that now since he's nearly 100, I think it's important to age a character appropriately and develop them along the lines of what they've experienced. Given Seir's war experience and leadership experience as a Benandanti, I'm sure he feels a little grizzled as a result.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]He would be devastated. I mean, so much work went into the Sacraments that are in the Pride. They're one of my favorite things to ever be produced in any guild ever because most of the lore, feel, and appeal of the Sentinels was almost entirely player driven, created, and developed by some hard-working people in the guild. It wouldn't nearly be what it is today if not for the intense feel of camaraderie and fellowship that pretty much everyone has for one another. I mean, we have a Sacrament of Enmity for inner guild conflict resolution, but I've only maybe seen it enacted once or twice and everything is peachy afterwards.[/spoiler]
  • MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag

I'm in.

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I will play.
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount

[spoiler]
    Haern seems the logical choice. Noogies.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
    Devastated. The Sentinels are the flagship guild of Duiran, and their deletion would be a pretty tremendous blow to the council. Further, despite the fact that it mostly stemmed from an OOC decision, there will most likely be an IC reason for the guild's destruction, and Kiyotan would feel like a failure for being unable to prevent it. I'm not sure if I'd join a new guild after that. 

This is all hypothetical for the sake of this thread, of course. I fully expect that the Sentinels will survive this purge well into the distant future.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
    I like the idea of Kiyotan and Raest becoming bros4lyf. As for dating, those mermaids always want to splash around with Kiyo. 
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler]
    I envision Kiyotan as a robust late-60-something as appearance goes. Around the same age mentally, I guess. I try to play him as a weathered, wizened man of experience. 
    [/spoiler]

Quote blocks are dumb! >_<
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    edited March 2013
    Which NPC could you see your character dating/being BFFs with?
    [spoiler]Fairly early in my Aetolian career, I bloodlined several people to get family RP going, although there are no father in the picture. When the players asked who the dads were, I said they could pick someone. Albert rolled with Syvelium, which I guess worked ok, since I had had some soul-searching RP with the NPC after leaving the guild. Danila chose a nameless Sentaari monk, which was fine, since it worked with my time in Ashtan. After Davidovic picked Enzo, however, I stopped letting them make up fathers. Ahem. Tuiln, of course, Moi views like a son. Who she drafted into war and sent out to battle. So, basically just like her other sons. [/spoiler]

(how the heck do spoiler tags work asdjkf)
    Edhain
    @Edhain: Do you ever think you will shoot for leadership again?

@Rivas: Did you ever receive that punishment?
  • edited March 2013
    Edhain said:
    @Periluna: What happened to make a follow of Auresae go Syssin? 
    [spoiler] When Milian joined the Syssin, their house was immediately city-locked. Peri was Ascendril at the time as well as the Communal Actuary (Chancellor) in Duiran.  Xavin asked her to choose between Milian and the guild - so she did. Then, realising it was only a matter of time, she resigned from her post in Duiran. Arbre, then the Feral Will, asked her to choose as well - Duiran or her marriage. Obviously she chose her marriage and Lin offered her a place in the Syssin. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] I always envisioned Peri to be in her mid-twenties until recently. Somehow, she's aged on me slightly. Maybe... forties...? [/spoiler]

Ugh - I'm with Kiyo on this. What the bloody unicorns is up with the quote blocks?
    Edhain