Short Questions

Comments

• AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA

Xavin said:
    Dude. You don't need to -walk- a guard anywhere with the new guards system.
    Don't think reinforcements will be able to get to that spot, however.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited March 2013
    Has armour changed significantly? I seem to be hitting some sort of internal limit quite low on blunt/cutting resists:

********************************[ Resistances ]********************************
    Type           Defences     Miniskills   Armour       A. Total     
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cutting        30%          0%           0%           30%
    Blunt          30%          0%           0%           30%

wear armour

********************************[ Resistances ]********************************
    Type           Defences     Miniskills   Armour       A. Total     
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cutting        30%          0%           26%          40%
    Blunt          30%          0%           27%          40%

That 40% seems to be the highest I can go as a Carnifex.

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

Yes and No. They changed audit to give a more accurate reflection of the true reduction numbers, as opposed to the old system, which generated numbers akin to the armor resistance levels.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Ah, so armour isn't 1:1 for resists?
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

Correct. Armor can only reduce a certain amount of total damage, and part of all damage is unreduceable. Audit now properly reflects the total amount of damage reduction, whereas before it only showed the total amount of reduceable damage reduction.

So while before you could protect against 70% of the total reducable damage, that might only be 40% of the total damage.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Ah, I see. Thanks!
    Any idea what would make my max health drop so much, so suddenly?

The elixir heals and soothes you.
    H:7356/7356 M:5929/5929 E:100% W:100 S:100% XP:4.53%% [csdb eb] [20:33:20:72] 
    There is no exit in that direction.
    H:7356/6688 M:5929/5390 E:100% W:100 S:100% XP:4.53%% [csdb eb] [20:33:20:99] 

Wearing and removing the lunar eclipse medallion isn't changing it at all, so I don't think it's the stars being jerks.

• Medallion only prevents primary stat (con, strength, int, dex) changes. So if it's a +/- health/mana day, you will still be effected.
    Moirean
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, still re-learning stuff - do I see the day changes if I'm inside somewhere (I was in Xaanhal)?
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Buy a starchart. Help Cryptic Chests has a whole load of artifacts but the starchart allows you to control what astronomy effect you want on you.
    Moirean
    Thanks!
  • StrungStrung Halls of Hades
    What's the deal with the autocure lately, and did Aetolia put in an equivalent of liquidrift from Lusternia or vialbelts from Imperian?
    I am such an aaaalllphaaaaaarrrgh.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Strung said:
    What's the deal with the autocure lately, and did Aetolia put in an equivalent of liquidrift from Lusternia or vialbelts from Imperian?
    FirstAid is decent enough for bashing and -maybe- mid-tier combat as far as I know. We don't have vialbelts but we do have this cool organizer for the inventory now that groups/condenses things into categories.

Categories:
    You have 11 items in the Sigils! category.
    You have 3 items in the Pipes! category.
    You have 95 items in the Vials! category.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    I like how there's exclamation points at the end of his categories. Like Panic! At the disco.

James! Blunt will also be making use of said quotation mark. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    It does kind of make things exciting.  Mine are much more boring compared to that.

You have 9 items in the Weapons category.
    You have 6 items in the What category.
    You have 426 items in the Boring category.
    You have 3 items in the Liquor category.
    You have 3 items in the Bashing category.

• Arbre said:
    It does kind of make things exciting.  Mine are much more boring compared to that.

You have 9 items in the Weapons category.
    You have 6 items in the What category.
    You have 426 items in the Boring category.
    You have 3 items in the Liquor category.
    You have 3 items in the Bashing category.

You even have one named boring.

Haydyn
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    In the Boring category:
    A boring washrag, a boring pot, 3 boring pipes, 403 boring vials.

HaydynRiluo
    How does the raceskill "Improved Forging" work? And how does the artifact forging hammer work? Can you achieve the same quality of gear without a hammer?
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    edited March 2013
    No. Maybe. With astronomically low odds. Actually, I'm going to go with no still. 

Forgers with both smith decidedly better gear on average, by 2-3 points each buff from my experience

Hmm, that seems kinda sucky for people interested in forging, then. My irid moss heals for the same amount, whether I harvested it with an artifact or not, whereas the only forging you can sell without artifacts would be basic stuff. (We're having a conversation in GT about the benefits of picking forging).
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited March 2013
    It depends on what it is. It's totally possible to do the extremes (178-180) without either, it just takes more time and investment. It isn't *hard* to get good stats on things. Hammer and the racial skill make it easier still, and make it easier to get more rounded weapons (much more noticeable in weapons where you aren't pushing for the extremes). You'll get better armour with the hammer and racial skill than you will without.

Edit: You also can't compare concoctions and forging in any way, let alone with artifacts and how they work.
    Well, comparison is a bit necessary, since we can only pick one. The new forging changes and designing abilities make forging look awesome, but the artifact investment is something I am daunted by. It sounds like you can do a decent job without the hammer though?
    You can do fine without a hammer. 

• PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    edited March 2013
    What Areka said. If you're looking to hit 180 on a given stat, it's relatively easy to get just by tempering for that one stat even without the Improved Forging racial or the forging hammer artifact. Getting well-rounded stats, on the other hand, is much more ideal for certain weapons, but is harder to get. Without a hammer or the forging racial, the stats for well-rounded weapons and stats for armor end up being kind of crappy and aren't as high. The difference is noticeable, but not drastically huge, but I don't know how much it affects attack speed/damage/defense.

Edit: Forging hammer makes it so that you're far more likely to have max stat point increases with each temper. So for example, if you were to temper without a hammer while focusing on a specific stat, you'll be seeing the stat increase by 7 or 8 more often than 9 or 10. With a hammer? You regularly get stat increases that are closer to max, if that makes any sense.
    From what I understand, the Improved Forging skill -does- increase the upper bounds on what you can get but the artifact hammer does not. So you can do fine without a hammer, just be prepared to invest a lot of time/materials.

You'll also want to take a look at AB FORGING APPRENTICE.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    You can, it just requires a bit more time and investment. You may not be able to produce as rounded of things, but you can make sufficient quality.

Most classes only look for extremes (all damage or all speed) so you're fine there. Armour, you probably won't be able to get the higher stats (_4 to or _5), but should still be able to make *decent* work (_2ish). Where you'll notice the largest difference is in armour and if you're going for mixed-stats (like the 140/130 warhammer I use, I can't do it without wasting a lot of mats without my hammer).
    Moirean
    It doesn't look like venoms work accurately anymore with ssl? Is this a new change? Also is this message related: You discern that a layer of venom has rubbed off your weapon.

They should work fine, that's an addition to let you know a venom rubbed off and thus can be used to trigger off of, and if you still run into the issue after testing, bug it.

edited March 2013
    Thanks for the tells, apparently it was the shaman resist thing. I need to sit down and figure out what these shamans do, at some point. >_< Huge laundry list of things to learn - thank you guys for all the answers so far!
    From what I've seen, this is how Shamans work:

@Illidan kills you.

:D

Check out the new ylem stuff if you haven't as well. There are pseudo artifacts that don't stack with actual artifacts that you can buy. Basically temporary artifacts for us Aetolian 99%. You can wear two of the amulets at once, 30k every 12 days to maintain.
    Haydyn