Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    It really does reveal that the characters in question just aren't taking anything seriously. It shouldn't be funny or cute to goad a god into murdering you. And trust me, after a while it's really not enjoyable for the poor Celani who has to entertain you, either
    TetchtaIazamatIesid
  • edited February 2022
    Seeing all the zap-baiting lately is getting a little exhausting and, honestly, immersion-breaking. I don't really know how else to put it. It's tiresome. It very rarely seems to be a case of "I'm standing up for what I believe in, in spite of being in the face of a superior force" and more often seems to be "I don't know how to get positive attention, so negative attention it is.

You mean sort of like people of a certain tether constantly spouting off about how rad undeath is, "wE pErSiSt", etc despite ICly being steamrolled last week in a global, conflict-driven event?

Yeah. Exhausting. But hey, who am I to tell other people how they can and cannot RP?

Tell me how I'm doing!
    (Web): Mileta says, "Okay... Sry is an edgelord..."

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."
    IazamatLinTetchtaGalileiNipsyKonnornKurak
  • edited February 2022
    I'll never understand trying to get zapped, especially if you aren't locked in a personal story with the god or trying to offer yourself up as tribute (Tanixalthas regularly ate people). It can be funny, I guess, but it really should be more of a black mark on your character than anything. And I want it to be clear there's a difference between retorting to a god and zap-baiting.
    TetchtaNipsyKurak
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Finding a behavior annoying and disruptive isn't telling anybody how to roleplay. If you wanna post about bein' annoyed about folk not shouting "waaaah, we lost, ur so handsome, take my lunch money" after losing an event, go ahead, but it's not really related to what I posted.

IazamatSryaenNipsy
    Sryaen said:

Seeing all the zap-baiting lately is getting a little exhausting and, honestly, immersion-breaking. I don't really know how else to put it. It's tiresome. It very rarely seems to be a case of "I'm standing up for what I believe in, in spite of being in the face of a superior force" and more often seems to be "I don't know how to get positive attention, so negative attention it is.

You mean sort of like people of a certain tether constantly spouting off about how rad undeath is, "wE pErSiSt", etc despite ICly being steamrolled last week in a global, conflict-driven event?

Yeah. Exhausting. But hey, who am I to tell other people how they can and cannot RP?
    Mildly Irritating: whatever this is. Come on man, you know better
    TetchtaIazamatSryaenNipsyKurak
  • edited February 2022
    I mean, I guess people could shout less, though I can see how it can get tiring if players as mortals consistently shout against a god (or any god) thinking they're equal and have a right to be. This is related to my next pet peeve.

I know it's probably part of the world story and setting, but I will always find it weird that a good handful of the divine in Aetolia are played as entities who possess mortal emotions and react with the self-same mortal inclinations instead of being this largely aloof Immortal sitting on high (and to give a recent example of this that I enjoy, I feel like Dhar and Ivoln in the event shows this very well.)
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    I just wish people would be more creative - put a little effort into your shout! Watching them sometimes is like watching Aetolia Mad Libs. You could swap all the nouns, adjectives, and adverbs around and they could honestly just all come from the same person.

• Elene said:

... I can see how it can get tiring if players as mortals consistently shout against a god (or any god) thinking they're equal and have a right to be ...

This. This has been a huge pet peeve too. It's honestly legitimately immersion breaking to have characters just.. challenging and shit talking and baiting Gods, then being like 'oh haha nice one' when they are zapped... over and over and over with no fear. It feels like the OOC awareness of their character's lack of ability to be lastingly harmed has translated (unconsciously or otherwise) into an IC feeling of equality with Divinity, and that's frustrating to watch and hard to explain away.
    The Divine voice of Ictinus, the Architect echoes in your head, "I think you are cursed."
  • I stand by my earlier post, but I think what you have to realize is that death actually doesn't matter in Aetolia and never will, even from a lore standpoint. Maybe the current event is looking to change that and will, but there is never going to be an IC consensus (or even an OOC one) on how people treat/react to death, especially when it comes to undead/vampires who truly don't have anything to fear. Hence, my comment about behaviour being black marks that follow characters around. You have to treat these characters with the stigma they've earned.
    Nipsy
  • NipsyNipsy Setting fire to Aeryx's mine
    edited February 2022
    The living have a much more RP reason to care about death than say the Undead.

Undead lore, Ivolnite Undeath and primarily that of a Teradrim is that the Earth will regenerate us by His gift of Undeath. We Persist, is a line touted by Ivoln Himself, in the face of the senseless desire of living to "kill" undead, which so long as His will allows will not happen. Even in discussion, and some of this event has touched on it, is that the Undead, are a creation, soldiers as even Varo has referred to us as, to exist when the End comes to all life. Enjoy the events, learn a bit, not everything is about who won the PK deathball.

So while I get that it might be annoying to some folks, it is what a lot of our RP is rooted in, and our "Tenacity" "Persistence" "Undeath" Idealism we represent from an RP standpoint.

So too is "Praise the Light" or "Dendara Eternal" obnoxious to some players in that same regard, but its a characters belief/faith, either interact with it or don't, but don't be a sourpuss.
    IazamatReaveWjoltyrKurakFyrren
  • Gods have a more powerful version of zap, that increases xp loss *and* time spent in the death sequence, that stacks. Those should be for the "haha nice once"s.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

NipsyLenorielWjoltyrTetchta
    Nipsy said:

So while I get that it might be annoying to some folks, it is what a lot of our RP is rooted in, and our "Tenacity" "Persistence" "Undeath" Idealism we represent from an RP standpoint.

Yeah, I mean, for obvious reasons, my character isn't joining in the "we persist" mantra, so I don't have a horse in the race. But it seems like the perfect thing to say, perhaps even especially, in defeat. Like "we persist" is something I imagine cockroaches say to us in spite of our attempts to exterminate them.

It's the rallying cry of the squashed.

NipsyFyrren
    edited February 2022
    I've never had beef with people shouting their slogans and whatnot. That's a hype moment, and wonderfully characteristic of the people doing it.

It's when people chase it with "if you persist then why do you [reduction of a public event to a simple 'Ivoln lost']" or "if dendara's so eternal then how come [exaggerated PVP story]" that it gets obnoxious
    TetchtaNipsyLenorielFyrren
    If Dendara's so eternal, how come Haern has never kissed me? Checkmate, Lifers.

ReaveNipsyLinLenorielIllikaalFyrren

• Eternal means that however unlikely Haern will eventually kiss you. Enough monkeys in a room, eventually one of them eventually finds a way to make Hatchta happen.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Reave
  • NipsyNipsy Setting fire to Aeryx's mine
    Haern just needs smooches and he wouldn’t be so grumpy.

We shall begin the new war campaign like the bachelor and we all line up and wait to see who the Hunter gives his rose.
    Reave
  • Toz said:
    Gods have a more powerful version of zap, that increases xp loss *and* time spent in the death sequence, that stacks. Those should be for the "haha nice once"s.
    This is what happened to Aya during her conflict with Omei. I spent about 2-3 rl hours in the mirror cos... well I was one of those baiters 
    TetchtaIllikaal
  • Even if death is negligible from both an IG and OOC standpoint, that doesn't take away from the fact that most godzaps are pretty much described as you suffering some sort of excruciating pain or torment. Willingly accepting and baiting a God into doing it over and over doesn't make sense to me unless you had a seriously strong RP reason to do so other than player reasons (salt, trollery, etc) bleeding through into your character.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    edited February 2022
    Then, as if He never existed, the core of the forgotten Deity disappears with a singular, blinding burst of monochromatic hues, evaporating into radiant rings of ashen light and cerulean mist, a patina of memory touching earth and sky in evanescent brushstrokes that fade immediately to nothing.

LegynIazamatRihrinValorieLinAyastiaNipsyGalileiLenoriel
  • And hardcore mode is now a thing! Hopefully more thought will be put into death now. 
    IazamatWjoltyrSeurimas
  • Stealth gold nerfs. While I don't necessarily disagree with them or their aim, I appreciate transparency and a comprehensive list of nerfing. Or even acknowledgement that it's happening! Changelogs! Woo!
    ValorieTeani
    Yeah, stealth changes to any mechanic I generally rely on makes me feel like a crazy person when it crops up, because I have to figure out whether I'm just imagining it lol

WjoltyrTeani
  • I get the reasoning though. There really is not that much to drop large amounts of gold into besides credit market causing a lot of people to just sit on a dragon hoardes worth of gold. 
  • @Ayastia Like I said, I don't disagree with the changes or the motivation. I think the trend towards cheaper credits is indicative of an increase in active players buying and selling credits, and also the increasing scarcity of gold. Combined with recent gold sinks (25th anniversary shop, y500 shop, barge) and overall the economy is on an upward trend, in my uneducated opinion. Which I think the Pools deserve a lot of credit for!

So new pet peeve, the Pools not getting credit for great things they're doing outside of Events and celebrations!!! The less flashy and harder things to do! Yeah!
    god is that still happening?

• i guess now's a bad time to introduce my new alt, Vyxsis Sisxyv...
    (Web): Abhorash has joined your web.
    (Web): Abhorash says, "Nerds."
    (Web): Abhorash has left your web.

Alela's Affirmations
    LinGalileiKurakTetchtaNipsyRihrin