• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited November 2013
    I AM NOT SMART.

SetneXavinPiperPerilunaSeir
  • edited November 2013
    Arbre said:
    Wow.  That's pretty [censored]y.
    I just found this.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Coming to work drunk and continuing to drink. And then functioning well enough to the point that nobody seems to notice. And then when I have to come and babysit your rear end for the drug test and you blow a 0.20 and *rising*... yeah, I'm astonished. I would have been more or less cool with it if it didn't end with a 4 hour trip to the ER without any medical attention received.

God I love the smell of drunken employees in the morning.
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    I hate waking up with an intense, sharp pain in my knee. Nothing done to it, hurt a little before I went to bed last night. I can't put weight on it, I can't put pressure of any significance on it. I haven't done a thing, so I don't get it at all.

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Losing a pet. :( My cat, Riley, who was 6 and perfectly healthy as of two months ago, had to be put down. She'd started crying really early in the morning and was limping around not using her leg, we initially thought maybe she'd just sprained it with a weird landing from a climbing expedition in the house. But then she crawled under the bed and was flopping and writhing around like a seizure. Took her to the veterinary hospital, turns out she had a heart murmur and had thrown a clot, and would have to go through xrays and tests and ultrasounds to see if it was heart disease or cancer related and I'm just heartbroken. 
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    Losing a pet is Always awful. I was up most parts of last night worrying about my oldest cat. She's 16-17 years old and started making strange noises. Was probably some fur stuck in her nose, but I get super-paranoid and could barely sleep at all.
  • edited November 2013
    Grant writing. Specifically, dealing with the NIH/NCI. It's not so much writing a full research proposal at the last second - whatever, I can pull all-nighters - it's the sheer incomprehensibility of the website and supporting information. The minutia of the requirements like to change annually and there's no quick way to figure them out as far as I can tell.

See you all December 9th if I'm still alive!
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    We really need an 'Awkward Social Quandaries' thread. My brother and his fiancee are coming from Alabama to Ohio for Thanksgiving. We're doing our christmas gift giving with them when they come up this week, because they're having christmas with fiancee's family (which is fine).

Here is where it gets awkward and I don't know what to do. Last year, I got used bowls for christmas from them. Absolutely used, there were dings, scratches, and someone didn't wash them all the way, though they did have the box. This year, Brooke went to a bridal show and got a free gift bag full of facial care products that is destined to be my gift this year (We know this because brother called mom to ask what to get everyone and he said that).

The quandary comes in with the fact that I spend a great deal of time in picking out their gifts. They might be quirky sometimes (This year I'm getting my brother an OSU piggy bank and his fiancee her college's piggy bank, because my brother really likes to squirrel away money everywhere and college football is something they're both really into).

It's not about the gift.. it's more about the time spent thinking about it? Used bowls and freebies you don't want really doesn't say 'I'm happy to be part of your family!'

PerilunaDemarcusAryannePiper
  • Switched insurance companies over the weekend. Saving like $100 a month, which is great. The old insurance company not only took the next payment out of our checking, but also an extra 50 for the difference of the start date of the months coverage to the date of cancellation. So, cannot call till tomorrow, chances are will take a few days at least for them to give it back.

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I really need to drop this ghost habit I have. >_<
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • I've shopped at this store, this isn't far from my partner's work. This makes me so furious. What also makes me angry is the fact that the ally they interviewed identified the man as being attacked for his beliefs. He wasn't attacked for his 'beliefs', he was attacked because of his sexual orientation. Semantics DO matter. It's already intimidating for members of the gay community here who live with a church on every block, most of them preaching against their sexual orientations and now the gay community has to deal with THIS. Awesome.  http://www.wsmv.com/story/24047102/paris-business-owner-found-beaten-marked-with-gay-slur

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    this is my rage about Family and the fact that my BF's family only knows me as his roommate and nothing else.  It got long so I added the spoiler tags on it so you can decide if you want to read it or not.   All I can saw is RAGE!!!  grr

[spoiler]
    So my BF and I have been together for 5 years and lived together in the same house the whole time.  My family has known him since before we started dating as we were friends for 4 years before that, and they adore, love and invites him on family vacations and what not.  If he could have gotten the time off in October, he would have went with my Dad, Stepmom, Nephew, Niece and myself to CA for 2 weeks to visit family.  Hes been to my family reunions for 5 years in Quincy IL which is like 5 hours from where we live, and for Thanksgiving and Christmas my father expects him to come down as he considers him a son-in-law and always references us as "his boys".  On top of all this the state of Illinois has passed the marriage equality act and same sex couples will be able to start getting married by June 1st 2014.  My rage??

My bf is not out to his family.

This has put me in a unique position as I have been out since I was 19 which was 15 years ago.  My family accepts that I am who I am and loves me still the same, though in the recent years I have had a few uncles and cousins say opposing comments to the LGBT community as their religion does not allow it, but we keep things to ourselves in that regards and still love each other as family.  Anyways, for the first few years I was fine with him not being out and figured over time when he realized this was going to be longer than a fling that he would want to come out and introduce me to his family and build that relationship that he has with mine, to his.  This has not been the case.  Last year for Christmas my father gave me the "family ring" that he created with one of his rings and my baby ring, in which he wants me to pass down to my son if and when I have one.  I believe this was my father's way of saying HINT HINT have some children already!!  I am the only one of my siblings that have the same last name as our father and as such can only pass on the name.

So I have had talks with the BF over the past few years stating that if he wants to stay with me and continue to build a life with each other then he needs to think about coming out as I want children and I refuse to have them not refer to me as dad if, or when his family is over or when the kids are visiting their grandparents (his).  How can I expect a child to be who they are when one of their father's can not be.  So I told him he needs to come out for himself and not for me as that would be the worst thing ever to come out for someone else.  He has issues about coming out because his family is Catholic and he does not believe they will take the news all that great.  I can understand this as I had the same feeling as well, but in the end mine accepted me.

So this past weekend, on Sunday, I went over to his parents house to help him move furniture, and clean out their living room so they can get a bed in there....his father was in the hospital and came home this week but needs to remain in a hospital bed during his recovery.  During this time I met three sisters, one of his brother in laws, his mother and one of his nephews.  I was introduced as the roommate.  Actually one sister even asked me if I lived with him.  Note I have been here for 5 years!  Then today he asked me if I wanted to go to his family's Thanksgiving, which I would be introduced as the roommate yet again.  I declined to go and stayed home the whole day by myself.  My father's thanksgiving is not till tomorrow (friday) as my step brother was busy all day today.  So the BF and I will be heading down to my fathers house for dinner tomorrow.  Anytime he asks me to go to a family function, I always ask how i will be introduced and each time its as the roommate, so I refuse to go.  I feel uncomfortable being in a situation like that.  He gets mad at me for not wanting to go but I do not think he even understands my point of view and I have tried to explain to him several times, and he does not get it.  

rage rage rage rage rage!!!  Why can I not have a normal bf/partner/husband that has no hang ups on family!  grr  [/spoiler]
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    ValenaePiperArbreNolaAryanne
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Macavity: Feel bad for you, shouldn't have to be that way.

PiperValenaeCiarelleNola
  • 5 years? That's a lot of time.

• PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I went shopping today (Black Friday) after I finished work at 6 pm. I got home at 10:30 pm. My feet are sore, and I blew $100. I'm never going out on a big shopping day like that ever again. That many people makes me uncomfortable. D:
    PerilunaDemarcus
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Worked from 530 AM to 730 PM....
    Drank 2 Rockstars, Eight shots of espresso and two iced coffees....
    Opening in the morning, but cant sleep...

Should have known better....
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn

First and foremost, @Macavity: I really do extend all of my heartfelt empathy for you man. That sounds like a seriously crappy situation and I hope for your sanity it finds a favorable resolution soon.

I have a few rages to rage about. First, Best Buy.

The morning of Black Friday I was derping about and had my awesome slippers on. They are super comfy and since my wife is preggo and baking at about 350 degrees all the time, she has the thermostat set at 60 most of the time and still complains how hot it is. Psuedo-rage number one. Negated partially by slippers. Huzzah! However, because I had my slippers on I didn't realize I got my foot tangled in my laptop's power cord and when I turned to go derp somewhere else, my laptop fell on the floor. From a height of about 4 feet. Onto hardwood. Mini-rage one. My wife, however, had the right idea to check to see what kind of additional coverage we opted for when we bought the laptop. Usually I'm not one to get the accidental damage protection or anything like that, because I'm usually pretty careful with my stuff. With this laptop, however, we got it because there was super cheap and I was travelling all the dang time for business. It just made sense. Well, it was a freaking amazing thing that I did buy it, because in theory it should be covered and I can get my precious restored to almost-new condition. So, mini-rage one is partially negated by additional protection! Hooray!

I absolutely despise going out. I hate every aspect of shopping, I hate every aspect of eating at a restaurant, pretty much if it involves being anywhere other than my home or the home of someone that I know, I have an active dislike for it. There are very rare exceptions, in fact I can only think of one off the top of my head, but the bottom line is I hate it all. I don't like it when people sneak up on me, I don't like not being able to see the various points of entry for the location, and I don't like being unable to formulate some sort of response plan to a variety of emergency scenarios. So, now that we've covered that, you can understand why it is that I really didn't enjoy the idea of having to drop my laptop off at Best Buy on Black Friday, but hey, it had to be done so I'll put on my grumpy face and try to not rip anyone's face off. So my wife and I find our way into the store and get in line to go up to the Customer Service counter. We wait in line for maybe 20 minutes or so, not bad, we specifically chose 1100 to come in because we figured the shopping for deals would have slackened a bit as hungry shoppers dispersed to find sustenence. I perhaps overestimated the importance of food to people craving bargains, but all is fine and dandy, right? No. I get to the front of the line and I get asked what I'm picking up. I respond with 'Nothing, I need to drop my laptop off for repairs.' I get told that they're not doing that today because they need everyone they have to check out Black Friday shoppers. I see. So apparently the 2 years of accidental damage coverage is really 728 days of accidental damage coverage, because we need to nix the two Black Fridays in that timeframe since I can't get any service there. Enter major rage one. I absolutely get that for retailers there isn't a bigger day than Black Friday. Cool. Got it. Need to make the dough. I'm all over that. Let me stay home and everyone else can go nuts. What I'm NOT OK with is that the money I spent previously at the store is apparently no good for the services purchased because I'm not spending more money right now. Have to keep upping that bottom line, eh? Yeah. So my wife drags me to look at the DSLR cameras, since we don't have a decent camera and apparently people like to take pictures of babies. Whatever. I snap at the stupid sales associate that asked us "if we had any questions about digital DSLR cameras." No you stupid redundant unicorn, I don't have any questions other than why do you have to aggrivate me further. You've already lost my business on this camera, the best you can do is save face and hope that I forget about this six months from now when the world is telling me my six month old needs a cell phone or whatever and I'm in the market for some fancy electronics.

So, naturally I go ahead and write a sharply worded letter to the store's management. I would want to know if my employees were being stupid or we as a terminal were failing, so I figured I'd extend the same courtesy to these folks. I love how they immediately want to offer to make things right. Well, it's a pretty freaking easy concept, how about you let me drop off my laptop for repairs. I'd like for it to be a very quick, efficient process where I have an appointment, show up at the allotted time, don't have to wait in any sort of a line, fill out the paperwork and drop my computer off and am on my way until I get a nice phone call saying that it has been fixed. Trying to give me a gift card or something isn't going to "make up" for it. The time I have away from work is far too precious to place a price on it arbitrarily with store credit. How much is my time worth? Probably more than you're authorized to... authorize. Or whatever. The point being that you need to keep your silly little trinkets and electrons and lets get down to the really valuable stuff -- time. Now I have to spend some time writing a bluntly worded letter to get my point across. Psuedo-rage two, since I'm putting a bit of time and effort into writing this rage post, and I just spent the last 24 hours writing almost 25,000 words towards an awesome novel of Aetolian-ness chock full of characters from the game and other characters who have names that are suspiciously similar and are portrayed in a less than favorable light. The vast majority of them were simply grabbing names out of a hat. I will admit that a very select few were carefully selected so I could live out my Aetolian Fantasy in text. I know that sounds weird and mildly amusing, and I found it so, and if you take it personal then I will laugh at you because you shouldn't take anything in Aetolia personally. Except that one thing that I took personally and hold a personal grudge against the player they I don't even interact with and hope they fall into a wood chipper. The good news is, it probably isn't you. You forum peeps are pretty darn spiffy. Where the heck was I?

Alright, so lets talk about time. And work. Specifically time at work. Or work time. Time to work. Time spent at work. Some combination there of. I work at what I will call a medium-sized location. We have basically five categories of locations -- tiny, small, medium, large, and humongoid. Humongoid is like the largest location in the world of its type. It will take you two hours to drive across it. There are half a dozen managers or more on duty at any given time. They get a lot of resources because they are awesome, sort of. I do not work there, thankfully. See the second paragraph about going places where there are people. Then we have large locations. They're pretty sizeable operations, make up the bulk of the actual work the company performs. Typically they are grossly overstaffed, having the sam number of managers as the humongoid location(s) with far less work. 4 on, 3 off schedule anyone? Then you have our operation. We do pretty incredible work for our size, and since business is booming right now we're racing to keep pace. Below us are the small operations that I would say do between 25 and 80% of the work we do. They're usually staffed the same as us, for some reason. Then you have the tine locations. You are the one guy there, you hot shot you! Make your own hours, take responsibility for whatever mess ups there are, take all the credit when you're awesome. Cool, now that you have the background, we'll get to the substance of the rage.

I got my boss fired this summer. It was pretty epic, because then I got in trouble due to politics. I hate politics. But we were running the whole place with myself, another more seasoned manager, and a trainee. No offense to the trainee, but he might as well have not been here since he had no idea what he was doing and was gone all the time. It's alright, we all started somewhere. So we worked like that for more than a month and a half. Then we got our new boss in and we trained him and he's phenominal. Then the trainee actually started becoming useful, and we all thought this was great because it had been a long time since this location had more than three managers. Having four of us would dramatically improve our quality of life because we could actually get trained by the more experienced managers, we could develop professionally, we would be able to work 10-12 hour days instead of 13+ hour days, and we could actually abide by the 5 on/2 off schedule that the region is dictating with their iron fist that every location abide by. We were making a tremendous push to keep our trainee since he was already useful to us and he was here, the company wouldn't have to pay to move him, etc. etc. Things were looking like we might actually get to keep him, too! Then, we get told he's going north to the smaller operation north of us that screws us every which way to Saturday, all day every day at every conceivable opportunity. The senior manager there has an ego larger than Zaphod Beeblebrox's ego, and if he just kept it in check, wasn't a jerk and actually worked more than 35 hours a week, there would be absolutely no need for him to work his young managers to death and create the illusion that they need a fourth manager. Now they'll reap the benefits while doing a small fraction of the actual work/revenue generation that we do. To make matters worse, I know there will be at least 10 weeks out of the year that I will be working without days off because each of the two managers above me get 4 weeks of vacation and we all ahve at least 1 week of training at head quarters annually. So of the 49 weeks that I will be working here, 10 of them will be without days off. So because someone decided that we had too many managers as it is, I have no need apparently for 20% of my off days this next year.

To complicate things, one of the managers is refusing to work anything other than straight nights. He says he can't go back and forth between nights and days anymore because he's too old. So he and our boss will be on straight nights and days and I'm the swing guy. I have a medical condition that kind of requires a fixed, regular sleep schedule and I benefit tremendously from having a set routine. When there is vast change, bad things tend to happen. For example, instead of being able to focus on work I end up writing a 50,000 word novel and then a lengthy rant post. Whatever floats your boats home skillets. I really hate to bust out the ADA and request reasonable accomodations, but I honestly am having a hard time finding the alternative solution that doesn't end with me in the hospital. Been there, done that, not happening again if there is anything I can do about it. Then throw in the aforementioned bebeh that's fixing to escape from slaver's isle soon and I'll already be three or four steps behind for sleep and routine next year. Like I said, I really hate to play the ADA card but if I'm left no other option, thats what it is going to come down to. Furthermore, these jackalopes told us we'd get to keep our trainee until after I come back from my FMLA for bebeh bonding and momma caring time. I went ahead and dropped one train on them and told them I wasn't taking it until sometime in 2014. They interpreted it as 2 weeks in January of 2014. Specifically the first two weeks. OK, we can play that game. Then they decide that they can't actually keep our trainee at our location that long and he HAS to go to his new position on January 1st. So much for keeping him until I even start my FMLA, let alone after! Like I said though, I'm good at playing these stupid little games. The entire month of January is sounding awfully good for bonding. Might even dip into February, I'll be sure to come back only after I'm all good and bonded with this child.

So, tl;dr - Best Buy sucks, time is precious, my employer is dumb and apparently hates those of us working at my location because they have denied our obvious need for another manager so we are adequately staffed and even went so far as to tell us that we were overstaffed as it is.

• I have bad arthritis in my foot from a fall when I was younger. Gimping around work for ten hours hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh
  • I rage at the brick wall impact that is reality and responsibilities settling back in after an awesome weekend where said things pretty much ceased to exist.

Can't vacations/fun just, y'know, not end?

DemarcusPerilunaJaslineLin
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    @Slyphe they do, but only for the wealthy who have no need to work!
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    AryanneSlyphe
  • Friend circle drama.... oh well.
    Haven
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    @Demarcus: As someone who worked at Geek Squad a few years back and has experience with Black Friday, yes it's dumb. Our job descriptions did not say we were computer salesmen, but that is generally where they threw us each year. Even when I was an in-home technician, I was expected to show up at the store and basically be a glorified computer tech. Most of the time, we stood around doing nothing except talking to customers on the off-chance that they'd buy services with their new machine but they never did. People who come in on Black Friday already know what they want to spend. We would've been better served at Geek Squad. In any event, I will agree. Best Buy has gotten very stupid over the years and made a number of decisions to screw over the employees.
    Demarcus
  • Seir my geek squad bro-zizzle. I'm ex Geek Squad too. My guys were awesome, but Black Friday was awful. Last year I was there I had to do a 16 hour split shift. 8 hours into thanksgiving/friday doing glorified cashier, then 6 hours to sleep, then another 8 hours doing more sales stupidity.

My rage is I ordered a new TV from Amazon.
    Said TV arrived with a multitude of dead pixels.
    TV had been a great deal.
    I process return, exchange/replacement not an option. (Out of stock)
    Will not get $$ until they receive mine back.
    Same size TV, different brand on Cyber Monday sale.
    Don't have another $400 just lying around.
    Screwed.

Been dying for a bigger/nicer TV for years, finally have some money saved up..and screwed. RAWWRR.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Saybre said:
    Seir my geek squad bro-zizzle. I'm ex Geek Squad too. My guys were awesome, but Black Friday was awful. Last year I was there I had to do a 16 hour split shift. 8 hours into thanksgiving/friday doing glorified cashier, then 6 hours to sleep, then another 8 hours doing more sales stupidity.

My rage is I ordered a new TV from Amazon.
    Said TV arrived with a multitude of dead pixels.
    TV had been a great deal.
    I process return, exchange/replacement not an option. (Out of stock)
    Will not get $$ until they receive mine back.
    Same size TV, different brand on Cyber Monday sale.
    Don't have another $400 just lying around.
    Screwed.

Been dying for a bigger/nicer TV for years, finally have some money saved up..and screwed. RAWWRR.
    Also from Amazon? Call (don't email) and heckle them until they find you a solution. I say that as a long-time customer service person who has had his soul broken by incompetent customer service departments. Just shout until they do something that helps you (within reason).
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • Unfortunately as I finished re-packing the box etc I had to go to work, so just kinda out of luck. I also work as a Supervisor for a certain well known Computer company and regularly take the pissed off person escalations..I can't do it myself, it just perpetuates well...dickery.

I'll survive, might be some Christmas-y sales that come about, I'll just have to keep an eye out.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    I just had a really bad day yesterday and I wanted to punch pillows. 

An entire day of dealing with nonstop phones and idiotic, patronizing law offices whining about subpoenas and affidavits not being returned back to them when, 1. Sent them to the wrong satellite office where no one has worked in the last two weeks with the wrong name of the practice, no less,. 2. Everything was made out to the wrong doctors including payment options and everything that needs a notary, 3. or their own staff didn't pass along notes and conversations from weeks ago thus resulting in nasty letters being sent to me while I'm in the process of helping them out.

Then I got home and got chewed out by my landlord.
  •  Thank you for not continuing the circle of dickery, Saybre :-) I can't do it either, I feel so BAD about it.

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Having to mourn a friend sucks in so many ways. Have come close to breaking down several times now., even at work.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    ArbreAryanne
  • Setne said:
    Having to mourn a friend sucks in so many ways. Have come close to breaking down several times now., even at work.
    It really does suck. I wish I could say something that helps in some ways, but the truth is... it doesn't really get -better-. It does lessen over time, but that hole is always there. Some people come into our lives and just leave a mark and when they go... it hurts. A lot. Just remember whatever good times you had. Don't mourn, but rejoice in the time you had that person in your life. <3 Setne
    Arbre