Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• edited April 2013
    @Iosyne concerning additions to Help scrolls and such, can HELP HUNTING GROUNDS have a note added to it specifying a time limit placed on re-entering as well that only 1 person per  your City-org can enter per day?

I just learnt of this like 5 mins ago and never read about it anywhere :(.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Let us see a guild member's specific rank in a specific skillset. GUILD SKILLS TOZ SAVAGERY would show what skills he has in savagery. Sooo helpful for teaching newbies. And Toz. Same diff.
    ArbrePerilunaDaskalos
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    GUILD SKILLS TOZ SAVAGERY;AB SAVAGERY RANKS ?
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    You can't look at ABs outside of your current class unless you're a Liaison or an admin.

Ah didn't know about the ranks. That's nifty. Still, don't see why we couldn't just see the skills themselves. >_>
  • GUILD SKILLS TOZ SAVAGERY would just return a bunch of lame hammer/Thor jokes anyway.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Moirean
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Some way to pour things into other things (besides vials) would be nice.
    Zun
  • Yes! I want bathtubs filled with rum.
    LinAarbrok
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Now I'm having flashbacks from MKO. Bucket 'o Rum, anyone?
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited April 2013
    Zun: I CAN DO THAT.

Or at least I'd assume I can. I have fountains of Liquid Death, why not bathtubs of rum? >.>

It'd be pretty boss--transferring liquids not tubs o' rum, I mean.

As would a way to choose (when you're designing a container) how many sips it can hold between a range for that item type. Like. If you have a glass,  and it's designed to be this really big for a huge, bitchin' margarita, versus like, a champagne flute glass.

ETA: Suggested on container end, 'cause I hear liquids're a pain in the rear to deal with, code-wise.
    imageimage
  • As @Angwe mentioned, MKO has free liquid transfer between containers--but it doesn't have player brewing or a vial based curative system. So the way it works over there is that replicas have a sip container size, similar to 'max capacity' for ordinary containers, and then two other variables: liquid type and uses left. So you could carry around five buckets, rather than a hundred vials, etc. A fountain usually has 100 'sip uses' while goblets have five. And then they have a few things that make liquids a little more dynamic, such as a weather system that takes into account any exothermic reactions (such as a fireplace, or 'fire' spell) and the temperature of the room to alter liquid temperature (from boiling to frozen), or water spells (scrying) that require containers of water.

Point is, taking into account that it might require a hefty amount of change to the underlying liquid code, and then consideration of the economics behind vials/brewing, this might not be worthwhile unless you consider in adding some features that take advantage of the time spent building the framework. And either way, it couldn't be classified as a small idea...
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    Ah. By 'I can make a fountain of booze or a bathtub of rum' I meant I can use furniture and flasks of booze to create an item with which the liquid in-desc is lamentably not capable of mechanical-backed interaction.

imageimage
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    The reason liquids are dumb in aetolia is that that's legacy code.

You'd have to rip the guts out of the foundations of Aet and build them back from the ground up. You'd break pretty much everything that exists already in the process because the back-end of Aet is a horrific game of Jenga thanks to ten years of unpaid coders in varying degrees of skill and documentation.

It's neither a small idea nor something the current workforce has time or resources for.

ZunXavinAarbrok
  • Certain bit of code are worse than others, too. I'd believe that liquids are up there. Hematurgy is supposedly a nightmare. I'd bet things like enchantment are rough, too.

• ZunZun
    edited April 2013
    I think every programmer can attest to having downloaded that one library, or pried into the source code of a program to fix a bug, and found that by the grace of whichever Elder God, the code ran on magic. And any attempt to edit or alter to the code that nobody could explain would result in mountains collapsing on the other side of the world. 
    Erzsebet
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Calipso said:
    CLASS SET STATPACK SCIOMANCER  to set their current statpack (wise) for Sciomancer class. When they CLASS SWITCH SYSSIN they would then become a Wise Syssin
    I wish this existed as part of the adaptation artifact.  I have poly/adapt, and I can't tell you how many times I've switched to lycan to go PK and ended up dying in Wise statpack because I simply forgot to change.
  • Would be a nifty option, but I sometimes don't want to always be the same statpack on a class based on if I'm bashing or PKing (if I ever bothered to learn to PK as Teradrim).
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    if syntax is the problem, write yourself some aliases...?

• Ability to Refund racial-skill points on an ability. In general in case someone got an ability like Revive but later changed class (lets say luminary) and  saw that they have no use for it. In general to help those that regret spending their precious racialpoints on an unwanted ability.

Perhaps even make a limit of being able to refund 5 times?

• IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Considering how easy it is to bash and gain levels these days, I doubt they'll ever implement something like that. 

You also probably should have thought about what racial skills you wanted to pick up before picking them up, as a good chunk of them can be found in AB skillsets. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Arbre
    I disagree. Race points are a good motivation for people to bash, ie consume content, and thus be online and active, with goals to work towards.

I think once you get like...level 108 or something, you have all the skills?
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    edited April 2013
    Not by far. Closer to around 116 or so.

EDIT: Notepad math says between 119-120, assuming you spend nothing on your haven.

edited April 2013
    <--- level 121. Have literally all the racials (except the ones already found in survival), a 4 room haven, all of which have obscuring fog and removal from the who list, one of which has endurance/willpower regen. I STILL have 2 points leftover. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Level 130.  -All- of the racials (even ones I have in survival etc), 4 room haven, all have secret, 3 have end/wp regen, 1 has health/mana regen, forge (can't forge), preservation room (can't venom), ouroborii (can't ouro), and library.

Used Points: 116  Remaining Points: 6

I could very well have changed things around, added and removed stuff when I got bored and forgot.
    Arbre said:
    Level 130.  -All- of the racials (even ones I have in survival etc), 4 room haven, all have secret, 3 have end/wp regen, 1 has health/mana regen, forge (can't forge), preservation room (can't venom), ouroborii (can't ouro), and library.

Used Points: 116  Remaining Points: 6

I could very well have changed things around, added and removed stuff when I got bored and forgot.
    I never saw the point of health/mana regen in Havens, unless there's the odd chance that you get into a fight inside one. 
    Me neither.
  • The Libram of Enlightenment is probably the best artifact I've ever invested in, since it allows you to pretty much instantly trans a skill.  One thing that struck me today when using it, though, is that I can't think of a practical reason why there's still a lesson cap with it. I think it would be neat if you could learn any amount in one command, rather than spamming the cap multiple times.

IllikaalMalokArbreAldric
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    For the record, MKO completely trashed the IRE starter package and rebuilt their base code from the ground up. Legacy code doesn't exist there. I believe Tears of Polaris is built off the new MkO base, but there are a lot of things they don't have to deal with that the other games do.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• Might be a good idea to add an invisible flag to some of the emotes that only exist to be used in Quests on items, such as 'timeset' and 'pack.'
  • edited April 2013
    Able to hand over certificates (possibly language tokens and rebirth crystals) like chalices of knowledge. I know several people that have 6+ certificates on them or even gain certificates from the giftbags but have no need for them. Would be nice if other items than the chalice could be given to others :).

(personally I would wish that a giftbag can just be given to someone with the artifact inside and it being placed in the name of the player that takes the artifact out of the giftbag, but I guess this is a good compromise.)