Mafia - Endings in Esterport: Return of the Illuminai

Comments

• Well, it might be easiest to let Xenia explain her reasoning, but I agreed with it mostly /because/ we had just lost the rest of our roles to thay crazy murder night. It basically left us with something like a 1/5 chance of any new kill being against either myself as the sentinel or whoever our sciomancer. For the tradeoff of givien up my identity that number becomes 1/9 of randomly hitting the sciomancer by themselves now, plus its lets the information I find now be more accurate, as anyone moving in the night is essentially suspect now. Thays my short cersion summary anyway.

As far as were we go, if the defenders are to have any shot at all in the future we /have/ to find and eliminate the cult leader and soon. As long as thier conversions are up, and especially now that we have removed the shapeshifter as well, we can only get more and more behind as days progress until the leader dies. Even if we successfully lynch a cultist everday, we still loose in the long game since that just breaks us even.
    By the divine might of Omei, you are restored to life.
    Omei gives the corpse of a headless cadaver to you.
    Omei offers you a quick wink.

• Well I'm glad you decided to take interest mister Sentinel!

I still agree that Xenia's insistence was a bit almost brutish, but I think there's just as much room for a cult leader/scum to have been on that train of people that fell behind her so quickly if she isn't one.
  • I've been keeping quiet, mostly to yield space to those of you who have been more quiet. Though since I have become the topic of conversation, I shall pipe up.

My call for the Sentinel to step forward was simple: I have nothing to offer the defenders than my mind. So long as it is sound and uninfluenced by the cult, it is yours. Nobody was talking, things were feeling grim and I wanted a clear plan of action and leadership. For that, I looked to our Sentinel and Sciomancer. They are better equipped than I to lead against this cult.

In my silence, I took the time to reflect upon how things currently stand. I'll offer my thoughts below:
    • 6 defenders
    • 3 cultists
    • 1/5 chance Sciomancer dies tonight
    • Koda is not the prophet
    Based on those conclusions, I will take the chance that Koda is sided with the defenders and trust his and Pazradym's future direction.

@Koda, in defense to myself, all I can say is every action I take is in the best interest of the defenders.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I would dare so much as to say Koda is not the Cult, but that is only under the assumption that the Cult -and- the Prophet need to go together to convert someone to their cause. Am I mistaken in this?

Also hoping for a lot of discussions so we can try to decipher who might be who.

• As I continue to mull over those of us who remain and their actions, I am leaning towards believing the following people are not the prophet. I don't buy into this light unicorns, so assume my name on the list.
    • Pazradym
    • Koda
    • Zechs
    • Arbre
    • Sarita
    I think it's likely our prophet is most likely one of the following people: @Teani, @Zaila, @Sibatti.

If others disagree with this list, I wish to hear what you've to say.

• ZechsZechs Austin
    Based on... what? Wild conjecture? From the person who wanted our sentinel outed...?

Teani? For what?

I disagree with your list because you haven't supplied anything to base it off of...
  • @Zechs, what changes would you make?

As for my reasonings, I want to zero in on the prophet, sure if we get one of the convert cultists we diminish their numbers, but the prophet is the primary target. Pazradym claims to be the Sentinel without any counter claim. The chances of such are slim given what I know of our community. You are zealous and obstinate and are as Syssin as they come in that regard. Koda was watched and did not leave his house. I know I am not the prophet. Arbre and Sarita may not be true defenders, but their lack of involvement leads me to believe they're probably not the prophet. By this reasoning, we are left with Teani, Zaila and Sibatti. These three have regularly spoken up and voiced their thoughts without necessarily making any waves.

Were I a prophet, I'd want to be memorable without drawing too much attention, considering my goals occurred in the evening. In my opinion, those three people fit that description.

• Yeah, not sure how Arbre and Sarita both ended up on that list when neither has really said a whole lot of anything so far.

Could possibly be you slipping a few Cult friends under the radar now that you've got something of a following?
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I'm starting to get suspicious of Xenia, though I don't have a great reason as to why. She's just so incredibly vocal, leading us around, telling us what's going on.

Without me trying to remember, who was it that started the attack on Serrice originally?
  • To be fair, I think it was our general, Karhast's investigation and the unknown result of that, that first put her under the spotlight.

• Id speak up less, but I fear there'd be a concert of crickets if I didn't! 

Pazradym
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I started the thing on Serrice, @Arbre.
    Ok, and since we're not allowed to edit posts, I voted for Serrice before @Pazradym made his about the previous night's investigation into Karhast. Maybe that made other people want to vote for her, but I said it before, and I'll say it again: Lots of things in her posts referred to light this, prophet that, and it sounded more like the sort of thing we'd hear from a Cultist than anyone else.

Of course, now that we know she wasn't actually one of them, that does change my feelings a bit. Granted, I'm glad we only have one threat at night rather than two now, but if she had been part of the Cult rather than acting alone, we could at least have guessed at who wasn't the second Cultist based on earlier voting behavior.
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    I think looking for secret meanings in individual posts is a fool's errand. I'm not inclined to believe that at all. Teani also suggested this, and I think you're both grasping here a bit.
    I doubt I could be considered someone who is "memorable, but without drawing too much attention" since I've been speaking up quite a bit.

As for secret meanings in individual posts, it depends. If the posts don't have any names in them, they will probably not tell much. However, a post like Xenia's, with speculations on who might and might not be a Defender? That could say a lot, as can the reactions that follow.

In my book, I have three safe people, and those are myself, Pazradym and Koda.

I'm keeping my watch on Xenia - for her call to make the Sentinel say who he's watching. That's a bad move. Also, I daresay "all I can say is every action I take is in the best interest of the defenders." could be something the Prophet might say to those they wish to convert.

While I'm flattered by Zechs' support, I'm wary that he might be trying to set up a show for the galleries. If both he and Xenia are both Cultists, it would be an easy thing for him to say "I've been against her for a long time" if we were to kill Xenia, making him seem reliable.

I'm willing to test a theory.

VOTE: Xenia

• ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Alright, so... Coming back to all this, now. I've been with a lot of Xenia's reasoning this whole time, except for when she suggested Paz tell us who he'd be following (terrible plan!), so it is pretty surprising and a bit alarming to see myself in her list of prophet-suspects without a better explanation than "they actually spoke a decent amount"?

I was pretty confident Xenia was with us early on after she backed the wisdom of starting with a no-lynch, but this lazy finger-pointing plus the bad suggestion on the Sentinel's call - especially when coupled with the loud insistence that he expose himself is definitely making me think twice. While I am VERY glad we managed to nab the shapeshifter last time, we couldn't have known so confidently that would happen and I'm still reasonably worried the sciomancer will fall victim to an unsuccessful conversion attempt and Paz will only have one more day with us! D:

I don't know that I'm wholly convinced Xenia is the prophet, I would expect her sort of noisy behaviour to be more indicative of a lackey than the big bad (assuming she's trying to convert us to the light at all).

I am more suspicious of the quieter crew, myself, but as Teani, my "safelist" is really only the same three "myself, Koda and Paz"
  • There are six defenders and three cultists. If we lynch a defender today, we go into the night at 5 defenders and 3 cultists. Assuming the cultists don't some how hit the Sciomancer's protected person, the next day the cult grows to equal voting strength to the defenders and the town will be lost.

@Teani has lingered with her accusation for some time and nobody joins her. Maybe she's a cultist acting on her own, but the chances are she's more likely a defender trying to figure things out. @Zaila's been pretty solid with her thought process, but I grow wary because there is not much initiation of action provided beyond voting for Zechs on the first day.

There has been little voting history to go on, and even fewer people speaking to pick apart, those who do are. Naming those three people before was an experiment that yielded less information than I'd have liked, but leads me to do the following.

Vote: Sibatti

• ZechsZechs Austin
    I can understand being wary, @Teani. All I can say is that I have had suspicions of Xenia from the beginning. That, combined with rampant name throwing and baseless accusations, makes my spider sense tingle. Several people mentioned as "safe" have barely posted, so I don't know how those are conclusions being drawn besides some sort of bigger plan of action. One that might be the end of us.

Vote: Xenia
  • I didn't realize that I forgot to actually include my vote in my last two votes.

Going to stick with my gut and:

I'm going to side with Koda, though I am still suspicious of Teani and Sarita.

• I have some concerns on the currenting voting, unfortunatly I wont be able to voice them for a couple of hours ((joys of work)). I would like to ask any votes hold till then, though feel free to discuss as you will.

Dropping my vote so that there's not a risk of this going too fast, allowing Pazradym a chance to chime in.

Vote: nobody

That's fair.

Vote: Nobody
    That said, I am still holding to my gut that Xenia might be the Prophet. Her wanting to toss a vote at Sibatti might be to create the situation she described, which is a deadlock. If she is the Prophet, she wouldn't have any problem throwing one of her own Cultists out there for us to kill, because in the end, it would just mean victory for her.

So I'm writing up a long post, but I have to go before I can finish it. I'll post what I have now, and add to it later in the skimpy "thoughts" sections unless those people are killed off or something.

So this is going to be a very long post. Bear with me. Some notes before I begin: I put the names in the order that they appeared in the first post, so don't try to read into that. My timelines include the things I considered relevant for my thoughts. I have thoughts on who the Sciomancer might be, but I am deliberately leaving them out because the Cult doesn't need any extra ideas. Some timeline events may only appear in one person's list even if it involves two people to keep the post shorter.

Sibatti: Received one vote from Ilyon day 1 (defender). Posted following Zechs day 2 to say she believes he was not "feigning innocence." Received a vote from Serrice (Shapeshifter) who said she was looking for quieter people. Posted (post Pazradym reveal) to tentatively support Pazradym and Xenia. Fourth on the day 2 Serrice lynch train. Fifth person on the Xenia vote train, citing support for Koda. In the same post, she expressed suspicion of Teani and Sarita. Rescinded vote at Pazradym's request for more time.

Thoughts: Sibatti got a few votes that seemingly had random or unexplained reasoning behind them.

Pazradym: Expressed concern that lynching in the first day will result in a role or defender rather than scum being killed. Fourth on day 1 no lynch. Posted day 2 with speculation about the only paths for defenders winning, eventually concluded that the Sentinel needed to reveal self to have a chance and asked for anyone with other theories to speak up. Later posted to reveal self as the Sentinel, having waited so long to give others the chance to make false claims or anonymous notes. Claimed to have tracked Karhast at night, learning that he visited Serrice. With Karhast dead that same night, nothing could be learned from him. Posted stating that he would not say who was being tracked in advance. On day 3 posted to state that he tracked Koda and learned nothing except that she was not one of the original two Cultists. Requested after five Xenia votes that more voting be held off in favor of discussion which he could not have the time.

Thoughts: Pazradym is all but certainly the Sentinel.

Arbre: Did not vote on day 1, but did post. Sixth and final person on the day 2 Serrice lynch train. On day 3, posted to say that she was becoming suspicious of Xenia.

Thoughts: Talks about having a default position, and this tends to fall in line with what the majority is doing. It doesn't strike me as particularly scummy. I would think that a Cultist would try to make their way into a train closer to the middle than the end.

Xenia: Initiated no lynch train on day 1. Later in the day (after Zaila) made a post with chances of various outcomes of a day lynch. Another post mentioned wanting future strategies, specifically mentioning the Sentinel stepping forward. Ilyon respnded by disagreeing with the no lynch vote, presenting a pro/con list, and calling Xenia suspicious for being serious about the idea. Received a vote from Karhast (General) along with his post discussing exactly what various roles can learn and their limitations. Posted in response acknowledging flaws in her logic due to misunderstanding. On day 2, goes back to stating that the Sentinel should reveal himself for protection, as initially posted in Day 1. Also started a belief that scum would have joined the day 1 no lynch train. Posted later in day 2 with possible night outcomes to encourage the Sentinel to speak up (used Cabalist as a role title where she should have used Sciomancer). Posted after Teani to clarify that she meant Sciomancer for the role title in the post where she used the wrong one. Posted to disagree with Teani about Serrice and that Zechs is "an overly paranoid defender." Responded to Sibatti's post Pazradym's reveal post that she is suspicious of anyone who quickly supports her because it might made her a target for the Cult at night. Later became the second on the day 2 Serrice lynch train, but started in the same post that she is still suspicious of Sibatti. Posted supporting Zaila's Sentinel tracking poll idea. Posted early in day 3 after some voices (Zechs, Koda) were raised against her that all of her posts were made as attempts to help the defenders. She stated that does not believe Koda can be the Prophet. Posted again later with a list of who she believes is or is not the Prophet. Following a challenge post by Zechs, she provided a bit more detail about each person on the list. Posted again claiming that the entire list was an experiment, and stated that Teani is now likely a defender, though she is wary of Zaila. Initiated vote on Sibatti in the same post.

Thoughts: Ooooooh boy. Xenia got off to a strong start, convincing people to go with a no lynch, but in hindsight, I think that supports the Cult more than helps the defenders, as did Ilyon. With only two Cultists at the time, if we HAD hit one, they would have been severely crippled. A smart Cultist would know that. On the other hand, losing one role would be rough, but the defenders could still find ways to adapt, like we're being forced to do now. There would have been exactly 0% chance of hitting BOTH the General and Sentinel, while we had a 1/13 chance EACH for hitting a Cultist. Then there were the debates about the Sentinel reveal prior to it necessarily being a good idea (one that continued even after the fact), the debate about Sentinel tracking being public (even if it is made public, the Cultists will just go after someone else now), and finally the whole posting about her ideas about the Prophet, which culminated in stating that the whole post was just to test a theory, without really saying what that theory was or why it ended the way it did. Now, I'm pretty sure she's not the Prophet. Too many people voted for her too quickly, and I don't think the Prophet is so expendable to the Cult that either of the regular members would risk it. Add that to the fact to her posts with Sibatti post reveal, and I think she may be Cultist #2 (with the post being a diversion tactic.)

Koda: Voted for Karhast (General) on day 1 for attempting to deflect attention from the Shapeshifter (now known to have been Serrice). Posted day 2 with a reminder that there is not a guarantee of the Sentinel safety if they come out. Second on Xenia day 2 train. Post Pazradym reveal, posted to state that she believed it would have been safer for the Sciomancer to have a public reveal since that person could protect himself every night. On day 3 after Xenia's post with more details, stated that she did not know about Arbre and Sarita were on the list (possible Cultists, but not the Prophet.) Third person on the day 3 Xenia vote train.

Thoughts: I'll agree that she's not the Prophet, but some clarification from @Kelliara about whether the second Cultist needed to go with the Prophet to convert someone last night would be nice to know whether there was a chance she could hold that role. We can't rule out her having been converted, but even if so, finding the Prophet seems like a bigger priority to stop the conversions at the moment. If she is not a Cultist now, she is likely a good target for them soon though.

Teani: Second on day 1 no lynch train. Posted following Zechs day 2 saying that he is either stupid or intentionally being misleading. Posted a mention of Xenia using the wrong role title for the Sciomancer. In the same post (pre Pazradym reveal) expressed something feeling "off" about Serrice. Posted to express doubts about Xenia and Zechs, followed by Koda if she changes her mind about Zechs. Third on day 2 Serrice lynch train, post Pazradym reveal. Initiated a day 3 vote train on Xenia to "test a theory". Suggested that she and Zechs could both be Cultists. Rescinded vote at Pazradym's request for more time. Posted to suggest that Xenia could still be the Prophet and Sibatti a Cultist who Xenia is willing to throw "out there for us to kill".

Thoughts:

Zechs: Did not vote on day 1, but did post. Voted for Xenia day 2 for requesting that the Sentinel come forward. Received a post of support stating that he was probably not scum from Serrice (Shapeshifter). Posted on day 3 shorter after it begins expressing concern about Xenia and Pazradym and the way the reveal happened. After Pazardym posted, Zechs rescinded some concerns about Pazradym, but maintained that he is concerned about Xenia and wants a plan for finding the Cult. Posted to disagree with Xenia's list of who might be the Prophet citing a lack of detail. Posted to clarify that he has felt suspicious of Xenia "from the beginning". Second on the day 3 Xenia vote train.

Thoughts: Zechs did not appear to understand how the Cult opperates.

Zaila: Third on day 1 no lynch. After posting, Ilyon (defender) switched his vote from Sibatti to her. Later in the day, made a post with numbers of possible outcomes with a no lynch vote following the night round. Voted for Zechs day 2 for "feigning innocence." Posted in defense of Xenia for starting the previous day's no lynch train, but disagreed with the call for the Sentinel to step forward. Posted to request information from the sentinel (implication that this would be through an anonymous message). Fifth in the day 2 Serrice lynch train (post Pazradym reveal). Posted to suggest that night target be publicly picked for the Sentinel to track in the same post. On day 3, posted to express doubts about Xenia.

Thoughts:

Sarita: Did not vote on day 1, but did post. Named as suspicous "lack of contribution" by Xenia on day 2. Defended self as posting the same number of times as Arbre and Koda. In the same post, supported the Sentinel revealing self. Initiated lynch train on Serrice day 2 (pre Pazradym reveal). Posted arguing against Zaila's Sentinel tracking poll idea.

Thoughts: Obviously I can probably tell you that I'm an ordinary defender until my face turns blue, and some of you probably won't believe me, but maybe we can consider instead the fact that I was able to spot scum before. Maybe I can do it again.
    XeniaPazradym
  • Very thoughtful post, far more substantive than what's been posted thus far.

I will point out that I've been leery of Xenia before even voting officially, and that I do believe if I was theoretically converted the Sentinel would have seen somebody visiting me for that to have happened, so.

Will I be an easy target for the Cult tonight? Sure, probably. But there are bigger fish for them to fry. What's a citizen when they've got a chance to catch somebody bigger? I guess we'll see.

Also I'm a he but that's neither here nor there!
  • edited May 2017
    Since there seems to be some confusion: When the Cult acts, they all go.

This means if the Sentinel is tracking one of them, they'll see that THAT CULTIST ONLY was targetting someone.

The Sentinel WILL NOT see if the person they were tracking was targetted.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    PazradymSarita
  • Excellent, @Sarita's post really helps me look at the behaviors in a more organized manner than just thinking on numbers and probabilities.

To defend myself:
    • Why no vote day 1. On day 1 the cult holds the biggest advantage knowing at least who one another are. This gives them more, even if it is still small, of an advantage to persuade a vote. It would be to their advantage to support a random lynch that does not hit either of them. Random lynchs are exactly that, random. Inevitably voting to lynch no one will spark a debate and lay down a firm ground work to take into account day 1 suspicions without the threat of the defenders falling into chaos in a string of retribution votes. In addition to this, it eliminates the possibility of losing an important figure before the night ends. Yes, they could potentially start off with an advantage, dumb luck at best and not worth the risk. What can I say, I'm conservative when it comes to wantonly killing people off.
    • Day 3 theory. Things were quiet for some time after it was established that collectively we trust @Koda. As I began to contemplate the outcomes of failure, I found myself meditating over the actions (granted, not as thoroughly as @Sarita) each person took. With the shapeshifter I went with my gut in sensing an attempt to manipulate us when she voted for @Sibatti. Additionally, I realized that this wasn't going to end until the prophet fell and should be the primary target. Now I don't know about you all, but the only way I know to find a rat is to think like a rat. If I were the prophet and a cult member found their name under suspicion they'd be expendable without a second thought. I looked over the remaining people and picked out those who would be most likely to be defended versus those who may be easily voted for being overlooked. I deemed those who would receive some form of defense to be: @Pazradym, @Koda, @Zaila, @Teani, @Sibatti. Everyone else, I felt, could easily have a vote train on them for being either clueless or suspiciously quiet. For obvious reasons, Pazradym and Koda would be defended from a vote train because they were more likely to be defenders. I then called out my suspicions, looking to see who might support what. I expected it to result in a vote train on myself, but I didn't care, I needed to see who said and did what when in order to gain some insights on what sort of collusion people appeared to have with one another.
    • My methods often appear counter intuitive, but look what they have produced: We now have a vote train and people saying things of substance which exactly what I was hoping to instigate. The prophet is trying to brain wash us, they would want nothing more than to deter discussion and move forward. They'll be very agreeable with whomever is deemed most trust worthy and steer clear of rocking the boat. Well this defender's not going to go down or lose their mind without a fight, and I'm rocking this boat!

• Thank you for the clarification Kelliara!

Alright, first off, thank you all for your patience. ((Got caught in the meeting that would never end at work)) Fortunately for me, Sarita did and amazing job summing up events so far so I can get off easier now and be lazy by just expressing my concerns, heh.

So here goes, while it is still possible, I find it extremely unlikely that Xenia is the Prophet at this point. Her advice and insight so far have been pretty much spot on, and it seems unlikely, though I will admit not impossible that the prophet would do such. The one thing I would consider glaring is the want for me to tell everyone who I would be scouting each night. However given my experience so far, I don't believe it was malicious. Rather, the one constant I have noted about Xenia is she is always poking for information, and I believe that exactly what that was. That being said I am still about 50/50 on her being cult now, if only because if /I/ were the prophet she'd probably have been my first target for conversion.

Also, its been brought up already, but I must express the severity of the red flags that just went up at that vote chain. We have so far been a very slow to act group for the most part, and for us to have reached so close to the vote threshold that quickly, without myself (as the one for sure confirmed defender) having voted makes me leery. As the needed votes is only 1 less than the totally number of defenders currently alive I find it hard pressed that all the defenders would have come to the exact same decision so quickly. That leaves me with only that the cult got into the vote chain. Meaning one of a few options, 1.) Xenia is a cultist and is being used as a scapegoat to "prove allegiance" of the rest of the cult to the town, or 2.) She is still a defender and the cult saw the chain forming as an opportunity to remove a threat. I'm leaning more towards the second currently as the first would be hard to coordinate, but the possibility is there of course. either way I propose a good hard look at the voters.

On the subject of Koda, while its fair to confirm he was not cult as of last night, despite his most recent assurance there is unfortunately no way for me to ascertain if he was the target of conversion last night or not. This /should/ have been apparently after the first night when I knew nothing of Karhast's death until it was revealed to everyone in the morning despite my seeing his actions that night. This being said even if Koda were converted, and I'm not saying I think he was, he shouldn't be our target for today anyway. We really need to hit the Prophet now for us to have any chance of saving the town, we have perhaps one, /maybe/ two more days to get them or its death by attrition.

I still don't have any hard evidence of who to look at as the prophet currently, but my gut has been suspicious Zechs as cult for some reason for a while now. Not enough to cast a vote just yet, but I can't shake the feeling.

• ZechsZechs Austin
    These posts are fantastic - thank you @Sarita for the fantastic over view and @Pazradym for some finishing thoughts.

While I want to respond to Paz, I just want to point out a subtle and yet frightening trend throughout all of this: Xenia called for a no vote early which ended up wounding us severely on the first day, proceeded to call out several people as likely being members of the cult without any rationale or reasoning to back up those accusations, and has now recanted attempting to say "oh, yes... this is what I wanted all along. Discussion..." right as the voting began against her.

Each of these steps have all benefited the cult at a strategic and tactical level.

Still, even going to the analysis each of you has pointed out the significant likelihood of Xenia either being a "regular member" (is that something you become when in a cult?) OR the prophet manifest.

My vote stands and, in seeing each of these posts, it confirms this bad feeling from the beginning and it has stuck without me throughout because you all have them as well.

@Pazradym - I admit that I am passionate but it's been about one thing that many of us seem to agree on. Beyond that, there are far more individuals who raise a concern. I have stayed true to my singular accusation and recanted as is just and true (with you as the sentinel).