Short Questions

Comments

• IngramIngram Alaska
    edited July 2014
    @Mephistoles‌
    Last I checked, it's explicitly in the rules that your alts can have nothing to with one another. No off-screen RP, no sharing of profits, info, items, nothing unless it's things gained OOCly like credits.

It's the same reason someone with an alt in Spinesreach can't know what their alt in Enorian learned. They can HEAR of the alt, if they made a news post or something, but never shall the two meet or interact.

Personally, I think it's stupid for alts to know or chat with one another. Just muddies it up, makes things dumb, slippery slope and whatnot.
    AryanneMephistolesIshinEmellePiperElie
  • Straight-up knowing an alt can be reasonable. If you have a character who is very vocal and/or keeps a high public profile, it just makes sense that your alt knows who they are, for the same reason that anyone knows who they are. Just try to avoid talking about them, really, and you're good.

i am rapture coder
    RiluoErzsebetMephistoles
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I'm sure both of my characters know OF one another, but as far as knowing each other, I don't think so unless we happened to share an oblivious RP buddy who went on and on to the individual about the other person.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • ChelseaChelsea Australia
    I seem to be burning through willpower while just standing in a room reading. This is my defence list if it helps. In 5mins I went from 70% to 54%.

You have the following active defences:
    Your boar tattoo has been activated.
    Your moon tattoo has been activated.
    Your moss tattoo has been activated.
    Your mountain tattoo has been activated.
    Your armour offers you 28% increased protection to cutting damage.
    Your armour offers you 28% increased protection to blunt damage.
    You are disregarding your personal safety.
    You are blind.
    You are deaf.
    Your senses are magically heightened.
    You have insomnia, and cannot easily go to sleep.
    You are tempered against fire damage.
    Your vision is heightened to see in the dark.
    You walk on a small cushion of air.
    You are insulated against the harsh cold.
    Your resistance to damage by poison has been increased.
    You possess the sight of the third eye.
    You are feeling extremely energetic.
    You are unnaturally strong.
    You are protected from the fangs of serpents.
    Your sense of time is heightened, and your reactions are speeded.
    You are utilising your bodily control to make yourself more fit.
    Your mind has been touched by the essence of the Underking.
    Your flesh is fortified against damage.
    You are surrounded by a cloak of protection.
    Your hands are gripping your wielded items tightly.
    Your mind is filled with clarity.
    You are protected from hand-held weapons with an aura of rebounding.
    You are diverting melee attacks.
    You are dodging melee attacks.
    You have used great guile to conceal yourself.
    Your blood is concentrated.
    Your movements are supernaturally fast.
    Your body is steeled against magical energies.
    You stalk the night as a predator.
    You detect the movements of nearby mortals.
    You have enhanced your vision to be able to see traces of lifeforce.
    You will attempt to parry attacks to your left leg.
    You are protected by 38 defences.
  • TozToz
    edited July 2014
    You are unnaturally strong.

Potence, right? Drains WP.

Lifescent might too, idk.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

ElyniChelsea
  • ChelseaChelsea Australia
    Thank you.
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Daskalos said:

I like the herb change, personally, as reanimation has the potential to pull in much more per month than concoctions. Plus, it makes it a lot easier to keep things in stock. Before, I basically could stock moss -or- herbs because moss sold so quickly.

This right here is the problem with the economy. If it's harder to keep things in stock, you can reasonably price them higher, which means that overall prices will rise which means overall curatives will actually have some value, which means that they will actually be a thing worth stocking and selling rather than just providing a convenience, which means that people will actually be able to move money around with their tradeskill, which is what we want.

PiperMoirean
  • I like things being 1 gp per curative. Will it ever make money? No. Does it mean I can actually play this game without having to goldgrind just to be able to afford to fight? Yes, and that's glorious. 80-120 gold per ginseng in Achaea wrecked me.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

IlyonHavenAngweErzsebet
    Actually, since herbs don't cost anything to harvest, anything made on herbs and, conversely, concoctions, is pure profit. I believe the upper limit is what, 12.5k herbs? That's 12.5k every time you reach that limit which is, I think, daily?

Not seeing the problem with that economy at all.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Eleanor said:

Daskalos said:

I like the herb change, personally, as reanimation has the potential to pull in much more per month than concoctions. Plus, it makes it a lot easier to keep things in stock. Before, I basically could stock moss -or- herbs because moss sold so quickly.

This right here is the problem with the economy. If it's harder to keep things in stock, you can reasonably price them higher, which means that overall prices will rise which means overall curatives will actually have some value, which means that they will actually be a thing worth stocking and selling rather than just providing a convenience, which means that people will actually be able to move money around with their tradeskill, which is what we want.

I disagree. When I'm stocking an org shop plus my own shop(s), I end up having to choose what I stock. I know a lot of shopowners who keep a lot of things in stock because they get their friends to harvest for them. The bottom price draws the market, and sometimes even a loss draws the market. If you and 4 buddies are harvesting and they're doing it for you for free so you're able to sell them at 1g per, then my 2gp isn't going to get bought.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• Okay, so I've got a question for you.

Someone said that their main character knew their alt. The explanation was that they were both RPed to be in the same place at the same time even though they weren't both actually logged in at the moment.

This seems super sketchy to me. I always try to keep alts way away from each other, but maybe I'm actually in the minority here. So feel free to weigh in on whether you think this is a legit thing to do or not. As far as I'm concerned, it's not, but I don't mind if people disagree, I want to know what you think.

This -is- super sketchy. I don't think it's unreasonable for multiple characters of a person to know -of- each other. After all, the player characters are adventurers and even the less well known PC's are notable even if it is just for membership in a guild or mastering certain abilities that NPC's would struggle with.

AryanneMephistolesPiperErzsebet
  • edited July 2014
    @Omei and @Ishin, I agree, that sort of knowledge seems fine.

What I'm talking about is a situation where they weren't both logged in but were supposedly both played as being there, in the same room, at the same time. That's the part that seemed sketchy.

Just knowing of your other character because they're relatively public seems fine. It's the above example that I thought wasn't okay.
    Erzsebet
    Yeh that's deffo sketch bruh. No bueno in dat pinto.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    MephistolesPiperRivasEmelle
  • I agree that @mephistoles's scenario there is sketchy at best. If it is something that would be done above-board (like via aim or skype) with a third party that wants the two to interact for RP purposes, then, as long as no funds, services or information (beyond a close-knit social circle that has no bearing on other characters) are exchanged, I guess there isn't anything strictly shrubable about it. But even then it feel wrong to me.

However, I do wonder what the the acceptable / generally accepted protocol is in some other cases. Like, lets say Jim has a billion alts. Jim has an alt that plays Aryanne's kid. Later on, Aryanne starts trying to romance a different alt of Jim, but Jim is pretty close-lipped about his alts and doesn't want to tell me OOCly that's him. For sake of argument, lets say Aryanne's advances are completely Jim's alt's thing. Is it generally OK to assume that acting IC in all cases is the best, and have Jim's alt go for it, maybe eventually marry, making Jim's alt his OTHER alt's step-parent?

In a case like this, what should Jim do? Is there actually an "This is what he should do" protocol?
    Alternatively, what if I find out that Jim's alt is Aryanne's kid's player after romancing has begun? Is it okay to continue? Should I stop that line of RP, or tell Jim to pick one of the alts and only be closely tied to the one?

Erzsebet
  • I'm not sure why that wouldn't be okay, @Aryanne. As long as they're not multiplaying and Jim isn't using information across characters, in the words of Ishin, that pinto muy bueno.

As for your mention of using AIM or Skype to interact together, I'm not sure how that can be taken into account in game since there's no real account of it happening.
    AryanneIshin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    In Aryanne's example, while it can lead to tricky territory, I have less issue with that than when people play their own children. "I know everything my alt did because I'm their relation and they told me everything therefore I've all of their knowledge and lessons from experience," ends up becoming an issue.
    AryanneIshin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Ishin said:

Actually, since herbs don't cost anything to harvest, anything made on herbs and, conversely, concoctions, is pure profit. I believe the upper limit is what, 12.5k herbs? That's 12.5k every time you reach that limit which is, I think, daily?

Not seeing the problem with that economy at all.

You're not actually SELLING that many herbs a day. With the limit going tons higher, every single shop is fully stocked pretty much always. I used to be insanely vigilant about restocking my herbs and made a very nice profit. Since then, as every shop is always stocked, it's way less profitable.
  • Aryanne said:

Jim Jim Jim

Honestly, if I were the player behind Jim and the Jimillion alts, I would take it as my personal responsibility to make sure that DIDN'T happen. You may be the common player between a few of my alts, so it's fine that you may not know if I'm keeping their identities to myself...but it's up to me to make sure that the streams aren't crossing, so to speak. I've taken steps to keep (my actual characters) Rivas and Trask away from each other as much as possible, to the point of avoiding RP with groups of people that I know he'd get along with, but it was Rivas' main group at the time...know what I mean?

But Jim? Jim's pushing it. Jim should know better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

PiperMephistolesAryanneArekaEmelle
  • Typical Jim.

i am rapture coder
    StathanEmelle
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I shop at Moi's shop on Ariadne because I like Moi's forestal designs and I know what'll be stocked there/I can easily grab what I need. I issued myself a long time ago to ask about that and was told it was ok to do.
    I've asked about this a few time and been told it's not OK and a shrubable offense, as well that it shouldn't be an issue so long as I'm not making alt-only-shelves, but still not something I should be doing.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    @areka you've really boned yourself if your alts cant buy your forgings at your shop. You'd have to purposefully rp to -not- want some of if not the best smithed goods.
    ArekaIshin
    Or finding non-black or non-read non-formalwear in Bloodloch.
    StathanIshinEmelle
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    She'd have to make a Lycan or a BB. No need for armor or a weapon with either class. The rest of them, not so much.
    For Syssin stuff, come see the Big Bad Ishin. I make good stuffs, yo. :D
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Do ranks in the Syssin Venom give resist to poison?
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited July 2014
    Re: Jim
    >.>

I've asked admin-types about this kind of scenario before, and it's not against the rules as long as none of the stuff in HELP SECONDS gets broken.

Which, really, isn't difficult to avoid. This sort of thing only creates a roleplaying problem in the sense that, if I'm Ary's kid, I should theoretically -know- Ary's future husband. Maybe not super well, but I should know him. And it also brings up questions like, 'Would Ary marry someone who's never -met- her kid?' 'Is it a breech of the rules to pretend you have, if it's logical from an IC sense that you would?' Etcetera. I mean if I'm married to Ary for three decades in-game, it's not unreasonable to assume I'd have met her kid sometime during that time frame.

There's a character out there that I won't name, but I ended up playing his father, grandmother, great aunt, and fiance. It wasn't on purpose, most of it, I just go where the RP takes me, basically. I don't consider it IC to be like WELP CONNECTED TO CHAR A ON ALT B /AVOID. Or to go, in the same vein, my char -likes- char A, but he's related to alt B, so...nope. That's a break in character. I've never claimed any of them have met each other, though. Mostly because they all have pretty IC reasons to want to avoid each other in that instance.

I think that what Mephi's talking about is highly questionable, in general. I've -also- questioned shops, and been told that as long as you're not pricing things special or giving your alts discounts or what have you, is fine. (Also, you can totally buy non-black non-ballgown things in Bloodloch. >.>)

Question! Backgrounds and their histories. How IC are they? They seem to be IC enough that they can be asked for as (post gr3) tasks and the like, but there's quite a bit of conflicting answers when you ask if the information is knowable via some record somewhere a la honours, or if it's actually ooc information that just gives players more information about your character's backstory/history. Thoughts?
    imageimage
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    If someone asked me to do a background as a guild task I would definitely not do it. The fact that it's permanent and etc just sort of ruins the whole idea of it for me. Plus I think all the most pertinent backstory information shouldn't be layed out to just sit there and read. People don't need to know WHAT I DID to YOU KNOW WHO.
    Piper
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    It's an optional task, I'm just curious as to whether or not it's an ooc or ic thing or...what. Because if it's ooc it shouldn't really be an ic task, but if it's ic, to what extent is it ic? Most people tend to regard it as ooc in nature.
    imageimage
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Erzsebet said:

Re: Jim
    ended up playing his father, grandmother, great aunt, and fiance.

When alting goes wild.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    Rivas