Short Questions

Comments

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Elie said:
    Are Horkvali normally based on any sort of insect? Ants, beetles, etc.? Or is there a pretty decent range of choices like kelki have?
    As someone playing an extremely weird-looking Horkval, people are pretty forgiving about how you want to play it. Which I appreciate - I mean, I've seen chameleon Xoran, draconic Xoran, snakelike Xoran, etc. People in Aetolia are generally cool about RPing with you to get a sense of why you're weird-looking, rather than dismissing you based on the description alone.
    Interesting thing to note: In the Pools we have a more or less "official" standpoint for what the races should look like. I don't speak for all of us, but despite this standard, we rather like seeing the interesting offshoots you guys can come up with. SO LONG AS YOU'RE NOT A HUMAN GROOK OR A DRAGON.
    And exactly how much does this "official" standpoint have to do with Chris Bourassa's cockeyed "official Iron Realms art" that looks like what would happen if someone explained Kelki to him in three words and he ignored them completely?
    Without comment on your quality assessment, Bourassa's art is something that was commissioned by IRE to look badass to new players and should not be construed as a representation of our canon.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Omei
  • edited June 2014
    Right. It's like a novel cover. Ender's Game is science fiction, right? Let's put a spaceship on the cover. You at least know what sort of world to expect. (Some of the race art is pretty good!)

i am rapture coder
    Carivah
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I don't know, vampires in short skirts with huge freaking scythes and corsets seems about right.
    OmeiXavinSlypheRivasSetneArekaAlexina
  • Ahh. I was wondering what the right descriptor was. When @Oleis‌ said they were meant to be badass, I went a bit o.O. But yeah, I think they're more book-cover'ish. Kinda like this: https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=harry+potter&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oiywU62fEcej8AW79IC4Aw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1164&bih=499#q=harry+potter+book+cover&tbm=isch

..which I liked and thought was a little quirky and had character. Kind of like how this game is more a book than a movie, c.f. WoW cinematics and drawings.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited June 2014
    Needs more wizards with guns.
    OmeiIshinSetneElieIrruel
  • Sooo, what's the bashing attack for Teradrim nowadays? Turns out, half of the damn skills can be used on mobs.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I use skullbash, personally.
  • DPS = damage/balance consumed

You use Terramancy Batter on a tanned Dwarven farmer.
    Damage done: 1349, blunt.
    Balance Used: 2.55 seconds
    1349/2.55 = 529 DPS

You use Terramancy Skullbash on a tanned Dwarven farmer.
    Damage done: 1822, blunt.
    Balance Used: 3.57 seconds
    1822/3.57 = 510 DPS

You use Terramancy Hammer on a tanned Dwarven farmer.
    Damage done: 2474, blunt.
    Balance Used: 3.72 seconds
    2474/3.72 = 665 DPS

Hammer is clearly the winner in terms of DPS, but the endurance drain is way too high. Batter has better DPS than skullbash, and the attack speed is also better, which most agree leads to better bashing because faster attacks = more crits. However, if you have problems with defense, a slower attack speed means that you're tankier because your golem has a higher chance of being hit. So what I do is bash with batter, unless there is more than one aggro mob in the room, in which case I use hammer.

I've heard several people claim that skullbash scales better with strength, but my research leads me to believe that this is poppycock.
    StathanMoirean
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited June 2014
    You use Spirituality Smite on a Teshen raider.
    Damage done: 731, magical.
    Balance Used: 3.10 seconds

731/3.1: 235.80 dps

Channelling your inner spark, a bolt of lightning crackles from your hands to strike a Teshen raider in the chest.
    Damage done: 680, electrical.
    Equilibrium Used: 2.79 seconds

680/2.79: 243.72 dps

+ Haven Locke of the Black Sun -------------------------------------------+
    | Strength : 12 Dexterity : 13(+2) Timeout : Haven Backwards |
    | Intelligence : 12 Constitution : 17(+2) Statpack : Stalwart |

Envy. :(

Edit: Can someone show me the DPS for Lumi bashing attacks for someone with high STR (smite) and INT (lightning)? I know the attacks are supposed to scale with the respective attributes.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Awesome, but on the note of Barrage, let's say you have two targets in the room. You use Barrage on Target A, and it kills him with the first hit, do the remaining attacks hit Target B?

If so, at higher levels, wouldn't Barrage be best for clots thanks to the chance of multi-proccing crits ?
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

You use Spirituality Smite on a Teshen raider.
    Autobashing is presently enabled. Your next target will be: Raider
    Calling out to the Gods for justice, you charge the Underking's Maul with radiant spiritual energy, striking a pose in defiance of mortalkind's evil. Bellowing a fierce battlecry, you bring your weapon down on a Teshen raider's head, the powerful blow detonating in a shower of fire and light.
    Damage done: 1680, magical.
    Health Gain: 41
    Balance Used: 2.56 seconds

(656 dps)

Channelling your inner spark, a bolt of lightning crackles from your hands to strike a Teshen raider in the chest.
    Autobashing is presently enabled. Your next target will be: Raider
    Damage done: 1474, electrical.
    Equilibrium Used: 2.79 seconds

(528 dps)

+ Daskalos Qefin ---------------------------------------------------------+
    | Strength : 18(+6) Dexterity : 17(+6) Timeout : 60 minutes |
    | Intelligence : 16(+4) Constitution : 21(+6) Statpack : Stalwart |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

HavenStathan
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    Ask about stats and bashing and low, there was a great shuddering of the earth as Daskalos rose from his Ankyrean lined lair. His will enough to animate his artifacts to acquire the information for him.
  • Angroth said:

Awesome, but on the note of Barrage, let's say you have two targets in the room. You use Barrage on Target A, and it kills him with the first hit, do the remaining attacks hit Target B?

If so, at higher levels, wouldn't Barrage be best for clots thanks to the chance of multi-proccing crits ?

No, unfortunately. The main problem is that the damage is too low, but the barrage also doesn't move to a second target upon kill.
    You use Terramancy Barrage on a misty apparition.
    You whirl your flail above your head as you prepare to launch a barrage of strikes upon a misty
    apparition.
    You strike out at a misty apparition's right arm as your barrage continues.
    You have scored a CRITICAL hit!
    Damage done: 636, blunt.
    You strike out at a misty apparition's torso as your barrage continues.
    You have scored an ANNIHILATING CRITICAL hit!!!
    Damage done: 3300, blunt.
    The final blow proves too much for a misty apparition, who expires, pitifully.
    A misty apparition shrieks in agony, its existence ending as its body bursts into shards of spectral
    matter, which fall to the ground in a clump.
    Experience Gained: 617 (Bashing) [total: 14050189] (0.0044%)
    Average of 617.00 XP/min during the last 20 minutes. 25.01 hours to level.
    You have slain a misty apparition.
    A rush of energy fills you as you feel ready to deliver a devastating blow upon your next target.
    You strike out at the corpse of a misty apparition's head as your barrage continues.
    Damage done: 0 (6890 overkill), blunt.
    Balance Used: 3.82 seconds
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    I'd be interested in seeing how non-artifacted bashing works across all the classes. Say, set a certain str (say, 13\14) and the same in INT and comparing the two. Can't really use the arena for it because no mobs.... hrm. Maybe everyone pick one mob (a xorani patroller, perhaps?) and paste your results here? Also, maybe someone could split the thread into a DPS bashing thread?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• How do people bash without artifacts, anyway?
    DaskalosIshinSolaria
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    So, I am reading the news in Imperian...

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2736
    Date: 6/23/2014 at 23:24
    To : Everyone
    Subj: Staff Shuffles

We are shuffling around our IRE staff today which is going to affect Imperian quite a bit.

As most of you know, Garryn has been working for full time for Iron Realms, developing our client. With the latest release of the client, most of the major features we initial wanted are in place. Work is now focussed on cleaning up bugs, adding minor features, and a major reskin. The reskin is contracted out to a third party and will take a take at least a couple months (probably more).

Due to this, Garryn is being shifted from his work on the client and will be now be working full time on Imperian. Of course, Imperian cannot afford to have two full time coders, so we are moving Jesse to Achaea to work on Rapture (the main engine that runs all the IRE games) and to help code on Achaea. He was a major player on Achaea for years and is more familiar with the code and lore of the game then Garryn.

Wait, there is more!

After this switch we have additional funds to spend on staff, so we have hired Svorai part time to head up our event planning and building.

That is all! In short, you will see more Garryn and Svorai, less Jesse, and the same amount of Jeremy (sorry).

If you have any questions, shoot me an email at jeremy@imperian.com.

Penned by my hand on the 3rd of Solis, in the year 50 AM.

-------------

Do they have more staff than us? We have more players - can we get a part-time events person too?? *hope!*
    Rivas
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    edited June 2014
    I can give you bashing results for a monk. Only arties I got are heal_bonus 2 and enhance 2. Someone remind me about it later. Not going to do it before class.

Edit:

Strength : 17(+2) Dexterity : 14(+1) Intelligence : 12(+1) Constitution : 15(+3)
    ********************************[ Resistances ]********************************
    Type Defences Miniskills Armour A. Total
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cutting 35% 0% 14% 40%
    Blunt 25% 0% 16% 31%
    Magic 45% 24% 0% 59%
    Fire 35% 14% 0% 45%
    Cold 50% 0% 0% 50%
    Electric 25% 16% 0% 37%
    Poison 25% 0% 0% 25%
    Psychic 15% 7% 0% 21%
    Asphyxiation 15% 24% 0% 36%
    *******************************************************************************
    *********************************[ Avoidance ]*********************************
    Type PVP PVE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dodge Chance 13% 16%
    Divert Chance 29% 29%
    Divert Block 24% 24%
    *******************************************************************************
    You have invested 5 enhancement points and have 0 remaining to use.
    You have invested 0 augmetic enhancement points and have 0 remaining to use.
    You have obtained the following enhancements:
    Stats
    - Constitution
    - Strength
    Speed
    - Balance
    Protection
    - Cutting
    Resistance
    - Magic

Okay, was a little earlier than I thought.

combo patrol sdk ucp ucp
    In a dazzling exhibition of agility, you shift from the form of the Dragon, to the Cat, to
    the stalwart Scorpion, throwing out artful swings and leg sweeps, before letting a
    suspicious Xorani patrol have it with an expertly-placed kick.
    You connect to the torso!
    Damage done: 579, blunt.
    Balance Used: 2.79 seconds
    Slowly, gracefully, you dance across the battlefield, changing up your stance in languid
    movements like a stretching tiger. Spinning on your heel, you throw your momentum into a
    masterful punch aimed at a suspicious Xorani patrol.
    You connect to the head!
    Damage done: 626, blunt.
    Left Hand Balance Used: 2.79 seconds
    Slowly, gracefully, you dance across the battlefield, changing up your stance in languid
    movements like a stretching tiger. Spinning on your heel, you throw your momentum into a
    You connect to the head!
    Right Hand Balance Used: 2.79 seconds
    [5644(100%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (-45e) -a shrine of
    Dhar-
    You have recovered balance on your legs.
    You have recovered balance on your left arm.
    You have recovered balance on your right arm.
    Fire coils in seething, iridescent crimson waves around a suspicious Xorani patrol's
    scaled hands, erupting abruptly and slamming into your form, burning your flesh painfully.
    [3482(61%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb eb lr] S:dragon (-2162h (fire),
    +22e) -a shrine of Dhar-
    [Tripwire]: Curing: Sip health
    [Tripwire]: Curing: Outc moss;eat moss
    combo patrol sdk ucp ucp
    You take a drink of an elixir of health from a bilious green poison vial.
    The elixir heals and soothes you.
    [4446(78%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb eb lr] S:dragon (+964h, -15e) -a
    shrine of Dhar-
    You remove 1 moss, bringing the total in the cache to 1937.
    You eat some irid moss.
    You feel your health and mana replenished.
    [5010(88%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb eb lr] S:dragon (+564h) -a shrine of
    Dhar-
    In a dazzling exhibition of agility, you shift from the form of the Dragon, to the Cat, to
    the stalwart Scorpion, throwing out artful swings and leg sweeps, before letting a
    Damage done: 1161, blunt.
    You connect to the head!
    Damage done: 313, blunt.
    You connect to the head!
    [5292(93%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (+282h, -45e) -a
    shrine of Dhar-
    [5292(93%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb eb lr] S:dragon -a shrine of Dhar-

combo patrol sdk ucp ucp
    A suspicious Xorani patrol points his staff at you, and a crackling roar of orange-tipped
    crimson flame explodes outward, slamming painfully into you and charring your skin almost
    down to the bone.
    [3099(54%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb eb lr] S:dragon (-2193h (fire)) -a
    shrine of Dhar-
    Damage done: 579, blunt.
    You connect to the head!
    You have scored a CRUSHING CRITICAL hit!
    Damage done: 2510, blunt.
    You connect to the head!
    [3381(59%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (+282h, -45e) -a
    shrine of Dhar-
    You may drink another health or mana elixir.
    [3381(59%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (+22e) -a shrine of
    Dhar-
    [Tripwire]: Curing: Sip health
    You take a drink of an elixir of health from a bilious green poison vial.
    The elixir heals and soothes you.
    [4606(81%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (+1225h) -a shrine
    of Dhar-
    [4806(85%)|4412(99%)|0|99%|99%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (+200h, -34m, -15w) -a
    shrine of Dhar-
    [4806(85%)|4412(99%)|0|99%|99%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb eb lr] S:dragon -a shrine of Dhar-

combo patrol sdk ucp ucp
    You connect to the head!
    You connect to the head!
    [5088(90%)|4412(99%)|0|99%|99%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (+282h, -45e) -a
    shrine of Dhar-
    Shimmering crimson light coils around a suspicious Xorani patrol's hands, which he directs
    in a sudden rush out at you. The power sinks beneath skin and into flesh, thousands of
    biting, ripping mouths tearing like long-starved piranha.
    You may eat another bit of irid moss.
    [5088(90%)|4412(99%)|0|99%|99%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon -a shrine of Dhar-
    [5426(96%)|4412(99%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (+338h, +15w, +30e) -
    a shrine of Dhar-
    [5644(100%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb e- --] S:dragon (+218h, +34m, +22e)
    -a shrine of Dhar-
    [5644(100%)|4446(100%)|0|99%|100%|58.6%|Md:0%] [HMcsdb eb lr] S:dragon -a shrine of Dhar-

combo patrol sdk ucp ucp
    You connect to the head!
    You connect to the head!
    You have scored a CRUSHING CRITICAL hit!
    Damage done: 2220, blunt.
    The final blow proves too much for a suspicious Xorani patrol, who expires, pitifully.
    Experience Gained: 2151 (Bashing) [total: 3003557]
    [Leveling Stats] To Level: 2115823xp (984 mobs) | Haven Point: 835978xp (389 mobs)
    Having slain a suspicious Xorani patrol, you retrieve the corpse.
    A rush of energy fills you as you feel ready to deliver a devastating blow upon your next
    target.

Typically bash in dragon with evadeblock going, that was just dragon, with red/yellow orbs and vigor.
  • So this is unartifacted Monk, 15 strength, scorpion stance and no red orb either.

Driving your leg into the ground for stability, you project a wall of psychic force toward a suspicious Xorani patrol and batter him powerfully to the ground.
    Damage done: 1028, blunt.
    Balance Used: 2.32 seconds
    You launch a powerful uppercut at a suspicious Xorani patrol.
    You connect to the head!
    Damage done: 393, blunt.
    Left Hand Balance Used: 2.51 seconds
    You launch a powerful uppercut at a suspicious Xorani patrol.
    You connect to the head!
    Damage done: 195, blunt.
    Right Hand Balance Used: 2.51 seconds

(I only managed to hit the thing twice before dying a fiery death.)

(514+195+195)/2.51=360dps *This is with balance speed enhancement.
    (514+195+195)/2.7=335dps *Without balance speed enhancement.
  • I can see about compiling numbers for all the classes in the liaison arena, there are some mobs up there that we use to test various things on now and again.

@‌Moirean

The staff question is a difficult one to adequately answer, because it relies both on variables I don't know and variables I can't share. Essentially, each game draws from its own revenue pool, because each game has its own coalition of investors. The only things IRE unilaterally pays for are the things shared across all games -- artwork, client/website reskins, etc. Each game requires a single producer, who is typically paid as a fulltime contractor. Beyond that, staff decisions are a murky thing based on the game's revenue, not playerbase demands.

That's why Achaea is able to offer such a large staff -- they do VERY well in sales. Granted, that is due to their large playerbase, but it's also an enthusiastic and active one. I don't know or understand the various costs and investor commitments that Matt and Jeremy have to manage when making staff decisions, but I can tell you the reality of our game. Razmael is full time, I am part time.
    [---]
    MoireanJensen
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    @Oleis:

Extrapolating out credit sales based on what I can see from Spinesreach, Aetolia seems to be making quite a lot of money, though. From an outside peek, which is obviously mostly guesswork, it does seem like enough to justify investing in the staff - and it is an investment, because devoted staff leads to better products and more revenue!

I've been playing around with tracking revenue for Spinesreach, and here are some numbers I have observed:

From the start of April to the end of May, Spinesreach took in 1,300 credits. This covered the span of time where there were website-only promo options (eg wheel spins), so a (debatably large) fraction of the intake isn't reflected in logs.

From the start of June to the end of June, Spinesreach took in 691 credits. This month's promo is a much more direct credit purchase one and Spinesreach is on the moderate end for credit intake this month - Enorian had 400 credits come in from 2 standalone purchases.

Let's round down, a lot, just to be conservative. This will help balance out things like the Iron Elite subscription. Average credit intake per month: 666 = ~13,320 credits purchased (cities get 5% of website purchases). Let's be conservative and price these at only $0.35 each. This is pricing them at the 300+ package prices which is a good mid-point between various package deals, I think, if not undercutting the typical sale price (I see a lot more 5/10 amounts than i do anything else). 13,320 @ $0.35 = $4,662/month.

There are 4 cities. I don't really track the other cities, so we'll just multiply for a rough guess of ~$18,650/month. That's ~$225,000/year, without factoring in website-only purchases like cryptic chests, class expansions, wheel spins, etc. Given that the overhead costs for IRE are relatively low, it seems like, based off just what we can extrapolate from the city logs, there should be enough money for at least two full-time staff members, unless Razmael is earning triple digits. Obviously IRE wants a nice profit for themselves, but cutting into those potential profits for employee salaries could yield even more income (example article: http://www.inc.com/kimberly-weisul/four-strategies-to-raise-profits-by-paying-employees-more.html).

All that said, I'm not a business analyst and we can only go off what we are seeing in city logs. Still! It seems like the game could totally be paying Oleis more!
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Hire an event admin, @moirean does too much math, charts, and graphs when she's bored.
    OmeiStathanSetnePeriluna
  • is Cluminess for monk classes broken? OR is it just daru?
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    Like I said, I don't understand all the variables at play. I know that Aetolia is financially sound and in no danger of closing. I also know that it was very difficult to get me hired, that I'm thoroughly part time, and that Imperian's new event person is even more part time than I am. If you're interested in talking to the people who know what's up, Matt and Jeremy at IRE are the guys you want. They have all the pieces and parts.
    [---]
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    I don't wish to be rude or some off pushy OOC ever when I am inquiring about certain aspects of things in the game, as it is my understanding customisations fall in a place of "when there is time" due to the sheer amount of them that fly in the door. I have sent messages in the past on things that I may intend to use in RP to see about expediting them, I just want to know if thats rude to do, as I feel it may be, but on the other hand im not entirely sure.

I dont wanna be a pain when I do things like that, so I guess I am more or less asking official stance on the process, as I know sometimes it can get pretty backed up. I do have a pretty item in there right now which is why I ask.

@Oleis‌ and @Razmael‌ thanks for always being super awesome when I ask silly questions.
    Moirean
    A message every couple days is totally understandable and frankly appreciated. Even with my white board, it's really hard to remember everything that needs doing.
    [---]
    Aarbrok
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Thank you, that gives me a bit of relief!

• I was wondering what was going on with customizations >_>. That said, I think most of us are pretty understanding about how much things get done and how, ultimately, small customizations are in the scheme of the game.

• So, I noticed in the new cryptic chests help file, it still says -
    Each chest also has a 10% chance of containing a broken piece from a chest, detailed below in set items.

But then lists the pieces under retired. Are they or not?
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Daru have boilingblood or some such. @Valingar explained it to me once, but they're immune to clumsiness/blurry_vision.