Short Questions

Comments

• yeah, I do that and get responses pretty often (also thanks to the random souls who entertain me thru mob dialog), but I also don't want to be roping in some unknowing person into a lengthy conversation especially if it's about something they don't know/care about. The particular mob I'm trying to get ahold of is Viskein, and best I can tell he only comes out once you've been beating up the cerberi, and I don't really want him agro :P

(Also that feel when you get no responses and you've just been talking and emoting at yourself like a jackass XD)
    I once killed a humgii, y'know.

JSYK she/her pronouns!
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Samp: I emote and talk to myself very often without even having a real reason to get a reaction from mobs around me. <.< I just sort of play my character. If that means I emote after the person I have just interacted with has left the room, so what?

SampHaven
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Is there ANY WAY I can turn this fucking map view off on the HTML client? The client itself is fine. Everything is fine when I'm standing in one room and not forcing the mapper to move. The MOMENT I move I get hellacious lag - but the thing is, if I put the directions together say, like, n;e;n;n;nw, it'll MOVE those, and my MAP will lag catching me up. It's got to be the map lagging me. How do I turn it off?
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    config mapview off?
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    2014/06/23 15:27:19 - Kaestrin has put a bounty of 2000 gold on Dvayne's head. Reason: Exterminating This is Bounty 2 of 20.

Are we really allowed to put up tons of repeating bounties like this?
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    I can't remember if it's just a gentleman's agreement or if admin specifically disallowed it but I do know Bloodloch and Enorian no longer stack bounties.
    No, you aren't.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • I maintain if you're stupid and exterminate, you deserve every. Single. Death.

Preferably by a team of at least 5.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

JensenTeani
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    I don't think it was outlawed, and I would disagree on that statement. I've had stacking bounties on Daskalos for a long time, but maybe I'm the exception. For the most part though we don't stack, unless it's a particularly grievous offense

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

When it was up to me, the admins explained I could do 1 per 2 rooms rounding up.
    Teani
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    For mass exterminations or really anything "catastrophic/severe" like org robbing or something directed at an organization, I do not believe a single death is enough of a consequence, even if there's a heavy social branding to follow. I'd probably float near 3 and max out at 5 but try to throw on something special to make the arc meaningful and fun.

I really wish there was something unique organizations could do as punishment that could match the crime, perhaps with some creative thinking and the help of the gods. Like I really enjoyed the idea of the Druids controlling the forests and that if you got enemied or whatever, it made traveling through the forested area really rough on you, which was a huge chunk of the game world. Stuff like that was cool to me.

I find 20 kills to just be boring as far as the story is concerned. I'd personally accept and acknowledge the 20 bounties but would fight tooth and nail for each one they tried to claim on me. Aside from the 3 zaps from Haern when I burned down the world, I don't think Duiran ever came to claim any bounties on me.

Opinion aside, I believe 20 bounties were deemed illegal.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    IshinSampMephistoles
    Haven said:

For mass exterminations or really anything "catastrophic/severe" like org robbing or something directed at an organization, I do not believe a single death is enough of a consequence, even if there's a heavy social branding to follow. I'd probably float near 3 and max out at 5 but try to throw on something special to make the arc meaningful and fun.

I really wish there was something unique organizations could do as punishment that could match the crime, perhaps with some creative thinking and the help of the gods. Like I really enjoyed the idea of the Druids controlling the forests and that if you got enemied or whatever, it made traveling through the forested area really rough on you, which was a huge chunk of the game world. Stuff like that was cool to me.

I find 20 kills to just be boring as far as the story is concerned. I'd personally accept and acknowledge the 20 bounties but would fight tooth and nail for each one they tried to claim on me. Aside from the 3 zaps from Haern when I burned down the world, I don't think Duiran ever came to claim any bounties on me.

As MoS at the time, I had planned on piking your head at every single exterminated location, I wasn't allowed to do that nor post the bounties for anything comparable. Yours was a more unique situation.

For unique punishments that orgs can do, I've been giving out prison sentences to reduce sentence lengths, also have wanted to do public executions and hangings for more severe enemy statuses that people wanted to resolve. Not everyone wants to RP that nor can I actually imprison anyone who doesn't wish to be held.
    HavenOmei
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Jensen said:

Haven said:

As MoS at the time, I had planned on piking your head at every single exterminated location, I wasn't allowed to do that nor post the bounties for anything comparable. Yours was a more unique situation.

For unique punishments that orgs can do, I've been giving out prison sentences to reduce sentence lengths, also have wanted to do public executions and hangings for more severe enemy statuses that people wanted to resolve. Not everyone wants to RP that nor can I actually imprison anyone who doesn't wish to be held.
    If only we had more people willing to lose!
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    JensenTeaniElie
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    This is not a unilateral ruling on stacking bounties because that's not my decision to make, but 20 bounties is rull dumb. We should probably reconsider.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Ishin
    I like stacking bounties, because otherwise people will keep up "criminal activities." If they can only get 1-4 deaths then why not just keep trollin? On the other hand, what's the likelihood that 20 are going to be claimed this century? Would it prove the point? Would it get the player to stop? Or is the 20 just a huge number to force a real outcome?

On a side note, how many rooms did that guy torch?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I'd say as long as someone is taking an aggressive/destructive stance, they're open pk, bounty or not. If you're exterminating on a day to day basis, or in large swaths, I think you're just declaring yourself a point of conflict.
    Ishin
  • edited June 2014
    The last time Duiran had issues like this we were told one per is not allowed, but we could do one for every few rooms exterminated. If someone is exterminating dozens of rooms at a time, they probably deserve more than a few bounties. I don't know how many rooms that individual has exterminated, however.

Edit: Also, I want to point out that really the only reason for mass extermination is to troll a few orgs. Yes, yes, roleplay and such but still. The numbers of exterminations that are being found lately are getting excessive, so Duiran's response is going to edge towards excessive.

Why doesn't Duiran reply back through RP, though? Like, instead of just scowling and rejuvenating, why not start up a RP arc to help animate the forests to rip the exterminators into pieces whenever they come in?
    Samp
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Didn't we have that once? Wasn't it taken away because...?

I've never actually gotten a reason as to why that was changed.
  • edited June 2014
    Because it's hard to take people who exterminate large swaths of forest seriously as anything more than trollin'?

Edit: Not to say that there isn't roleplay happening. Because there is. I don't know if there has been any directed at the culprits.

• Maybe my experience with exterminating is tainted by Achaea, where all of them were, but every serial exterminater I've ever known has done it for the lulz/to make you mad, and wouldn't know RP if it kicked them in the throat while unicornsing their mother.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

StathanAishiaXavinIrruel
    Yeah but you don't even NEED to direct it at the culprits. You don't need forest rooms for herbs anymore. You don't need them for groves. The only reason you guys have to pay attention and react to the exterminations is because not doing ANYTHING would feel bad/lame and I absolutely understand that it feels like you have to reply - but why can't you just ignore the exterminations themselves (new year automatically restores that). You say that there is RP, why can't that be your reply? Not only would you guys be responding, you'd be avoiding the cost/tedium of fixing the mechanical extermination AND denying the griefers their griefing.
    Ishin
    It's a text based game on the internet for free, there's no real need to address anything if you don't want to.
  • Moirean said:

Why can't you ignore it

Because it would be bad RP on Duiran's part to simply ignore it. We support the wilds. Why should we ignore someone blatantly defiling them? Would it make sense, for example, for Spinesreach to ignore someone tearing through ankyrean ruins, wrecking up valuable artifacts?

JensenStathan
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    DON'T HURT THE ALCOHOL!

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    RiluoAshmerPiper
    Xavin said:

Moirean said:

Why can't you ignore it

Because it would be bad RP on Duiran's part to simply ignore it. We support the wilds. Why should we ignore someone blatantly defiling them? Would it make sense, for example, for Spinesreach to ignore someone tearing through ankyrean ruins, wrecking up valuable artifacts?
    Protip: Most of us don't even like the Ankyreans.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Ishin said:

Protip: Most of us don't even like the Ankyreans.

I imagine Ishin in a museum, hand down his pants and yelling, "I'VE PISSED BETTER," to some pristine, glorious Ankyrean mural.

StathanJensenSetneOmei
    Xavin said:

Moirean said:

Why can't you ignore it

But that is not what I'm saying. I'm not saying ignore it. I'm saying ignore the really boring, tedious and expensive mechanical fix to it. Rejuvenating is boring as hell, it's expensive and the game does it automatically anyways at new years. So why not ignore the mechanical fix and RP out your own fix - that is more engaging and fun than just running around fixing rooms, and Duiran would still be actively doing something against it, while also flipping the bird to the exterminators.
    IshinXarian
  • Leaving the rejuv for new year isn't a bad idea.

But what's actually wrong with just pking till they stop?
    I don't really get it.

All the antagonist (the exterminator) needs to do to stop the pk is let Duiran know they give up.

msg mariena Hookay! Ouch. You guys win, I'm out. No more exterminations from me.

I'm reasonably sure the bounties would stop soon after.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited June 2014
    That's how it would work without stacked bounties. But now it's more like

msg mariena Hookay! Ouch. You guys win, I'm out. No more exterminations from me.

"okay, now just get these 20 remaining bounties squared away and you're home free"

Being open PK during a time frame is different from having bounties on you.
    MoireanIshinHavenMephistolesTeani