Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• Plus, you can't go around stealth-marrying ANYONE. They do still have to be engaged for 24 months, y'know.

(Thanks for tagging me so I see everyone talking about me like I'm a jerk, YOU JERK.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Aryanne
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Arbre
  • Sell compendium page in the artifact shops in delos like you do cryptic chests!
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Might not belong here, but could we -not- list character information on the website?

Name: Jensen
    Full name: Lion Jensen Starion, Warden of the North
    Level: 107
    Class: Praenomen
    City: Spinesreach
    Guild: Syssin
    Race: Yeleni
    Xp rank: 98
    Explore rank: 142
    Combat rank: 7

If there's a conflict between orgs and I wanted to remain anonymous (aware I'm a sec and minister) all it would take is some ooc digging by the player to see that I'm an enemy.  Also, listing the class I'm currently repping?  Keep it to honors lines only pleeeaaaseee.  Kinda hard to be a sneaky syssin when you post this crap for the world to see
    Faerah
    I thought this got brought up like a year or two ago and it got changed...
    nopes I just checked everybody thats on the who list just now.  I can see all that info for everyone logged in without cham or hood
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    It did get changed. And then some  time in the intervening year, it got changed BACK.

• EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    And then, when IRE thought nobody was looking...

Lin
  • Jensen said:
    Might not belong here, but could we -not- list character information on the website?

Name: Jensen
    Full name: Lion Jensen Starion, Warden of the North
    Level: 107
    Class: Praenomen
    City: Spinesreach
    Guild: Syssin
    Race: Yeleni
    Xp rank: 98
    Explore rank: 142
    Combat rank: 7

If there's a conflict between orgs and I wanted to remain anonymous (aware I'm a sec and minister) all it would take is some ooc digging by the player to see that I'm an enemy.  Also, listing the class I'm currently repping?  Keep it to honors lines only pleeeaaaseee.  Kinda hard to be a sneaky syssin when you post this crap for the world to see
    On the sneaky Syssin bit... Is it possible to be able to have the Academy graduation quest line toggle-able?  We would like to continue encouraging our novices to get the benefits... But the city affiliation being clear as day in their honors is... Well, not so stealthy.  Or is this already possible? 
    Ishin
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    >_> How many people assume nontitled novices/people are Syssin anyway?

I wish Syssin would mimic other org titles or something but they don't really utilize that....likely in fear of retribution but meh.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Arbre
    makes you stand out to said org, I prefer ambiguous titles
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Hey that Postulant just walked by.../gwho

HEY SOMEONE STOP THAT POSTULANT!!
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Huh..I swear that I clicked on people on who not even a week ago and only saw like..name, title, and level. Something like that. I promise I did.

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

...clicked on people on who? I'm confused.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Daskalos said:

...clicked on people on who? I'm confused.

Login on aetolia.com. Go to My Account on the right hand side and hover. You'll see options come up, one of which is "Who".

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited April 2014
    I mean with this banner thing too, it shows city and guild, and I think it's pretty easy just to type someones name into it to find it.
     edit like: image
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    What is this banner thing I'm so behind omg
  • Back on the stealth marrying thing, don't feel bad @Arbre. Rhine was married to @Dasklos for a whole five minutes before I realised "Oh, they are actually married now." Granted, I should have known because they had an actual wedding and I was expecting it. I just... guess I was expecting some sort of message telling me "HEY! YOU ARE MARRIED NOW IDIOT!"
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I did it to Aisling too. "We aren't catching each other for timely RP, I'm just going to have them be married now." "Wait what?"
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Yeah, the information in banners and on website should definitely not be that informative, because people will use it in the game if they see it as an advantage of some kind. It's happened before and ruined some RP I'd set up for more than two weeks. At least I got an apology for it, but it was frustrating seeing things fall apart completely just because people suddenly knew more than they should.

• If the banners are strictly OOC (as they should be), wouldn't it also fall upon the community to police our own as to discourage any kind of metagaming that uses the banners as IC information?

I know metagaming happens, it is a part of online communities, but while the administration can rightly show less information on the banners/website, it would sadden me to think that we can't discourage the information from being used IC'ly if it is known to be gleaned from OOC sources.

/devil's advocate.

Lin
  • Haven said:

I wish Syssin would mimic other org titles or something but they don't really utilize that....likely in fear of retribution but meh.
    John Doe
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General:
    He is 21 years old.
    He was born on the 2nd of Lleian, year 61 of the Midnight Age.
    He is unranked in Aetolia.
    He is a Rambler in the Fellowship of Explorers.
    She is considered to be approximately 10% of your might.

Fame:
    He is a graduate of the Academy of Spinesreach.

I guess I just think people are smart enough to think that a 21 year old who has graduated from the Academy of Spinesreach is likely not supposed to be wandering Enorian (or it at least raises suspicions). Not everything is about fear of conflict - sometimes its just about not wanting to blow an operative's cover. The Academy honors line should be toggle-able so that people who do not want a blatant sign of city affiliation in their honors can go without.

If the banners are strictly OOC (as they should be), wouldn't it also fall upon the community to police our own as to discourage any kind of metagaming that uses the banners as IC information?

I know metagaming happens, it is a part of online communities, but while the administration can rightly show less information on the banners/website, it would sadden me to think that we can't discourage the information from being used IC'ly if it is known to be gleaned from OOC sources.

/devil's advocate.

Unfortunately, there's really little we can do beyond ignore the person and that's hardly a punishment unless they value our companionship or their friends do something (or the same) to help.

Can we even issue over metagaming? And if so, what kind of punishments would be handed out for such? Hmm, I wonder how viable/productive it'd be if the playerbase got the ability to collectively mute someone (essentially the person would be unable to communicate in the game practically at all. No messaging, no tells, no webs, no channels, no emotes, etc. Though I'm sure there's still some creative way to bypass it.). Oi, just thinking about this route makes me grit my teeth because I'd rather the admin spend their time doing other/more important things.

So yeah, it'd be definitely easier and less time consuming, I think, to just limit what information these OOC sources give about our characters ICly.

Sure, we could always demand proof of everyone's knowledge via logs and stuff but eh...who really wants to put in the effort when there are other things we could be doing to enjoy ourselves?
    havenbanner2
    Faerah said:
    Haven said:

John Doe
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General:
    He is 21 years old.
    He was born on the 2nd of Lleian, year 61 of the Midnight Age.
    He is unranked in Aetolia.
    He is a Rambler in the Fellowship of Explorers.
    She is considered to be approximately 10% of your might.

Fame:
    He is a graduate of the Academy of Spinesreach.

I guess I just think people are smart enough to think that a 21 year old who has graduated from the Academy of Spinesreach is likely not supposed to be wandering Enorian (or it at least raises suspicions). Not everything is about fear of conflict - sometimes its just about not wanting to blow an operative's cover. The Academy honors line should be toggle-able so that people who do not want a blatant sign of city affiliation in their honors can go without.
    I'm just wondering what would it really change? While it does say that he's a graduate, it does not necessarily mean that he's still a citizen. People side hop all the time, especially at such a young age. Unless I'm mistaken, graduate line doesn't clear when you switch sides or anything, and so that person could have easily started out in Spinesreach and found they didn't like it and left.

It might just be me but because of how the Syssin have typically operated themselves in the past, the dead give away to that honors is the fact that the person has no title. I've always assumed if there was someone roaming around with no title at all and aren't really known for anything then they were likely associates of the Syssin. Every organization uses a title of some sort for recognition except that of the Syssin which makes them stand out considerably. That's what I was really getting at.
    havenbanner2
    LinBrae
  • I'm curious. What benefit do you think a City affiliated honors line gives? You can talk about what it does not "necessarily" imply (though its a fairly safe assumption in general) and you can comment on "other ways" that people could detect Guild membership... But none of those arguments actually support the idea that there needs to be an additional game mechanic (not player decision like titles) that raises suspicion. 
    Ishin
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Could just change all four graduation lines into something like:

'She has graduated one of the Academies of Aetolia.'
    Aryanne
    Can II DEATH please bring up death tarot cards or can we get a way to easily check deaths we are holding (ie DEATHLIST or something)? You can refer to the card as death via put and give and stuff, just not in II. Even better, if FLING DEATH AT <person> automatically selected the one we are holding for that person, that'd be nice, since you can't fling by number and have to do annoying stuff like put cards into your pack or ind them (and lose charges) to get the right fling.

Faerah said:
    I'm curious. What benefit do you think a City affiliated honors line gives? You can talk about what it does not "necessarily" imply (though its a fairly safe assumption in general) and you can comment on "other ways" that people could detect Guild membership... But none of those arguments actually support the idea that there needs to be an additional game mechanic (not player decision like titles) that raises suspicion. 
    I wasn't saying I was against the idea or anything. I was just saying that in reality nothing would really change by altering the line or making it toggleable as there's no real threat to begin with. But I fully admit it just might be me. -shrug- Take my words with a grain of salt.
    havenbanner2
    If you swap cities you can do the Academy there to get a new honors line that overwrites the old, and a lot of people do. See: Aarbrok's honors.