Short Questions

Comments

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I feel like mudlet is the fastest from personal experience.
    IosyneTeaniJasline
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    z\c has trouble parsing the sheer amount of information coming out from the game. A large part of it, according to Zugg,  is how Windows Vista\7\8 handle a screen refresh. Supposedly cMUD on  XP runs fine.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• Ping time has nothing to do with your client, and everything to do with you internet connection and how many hops between you and the Aetolian server (also how big or inefficient the hops are).

The trigger parsing speed is separate issue, and Zugg can go on about windows 7 all he likes, but when I complained about it being slow back before I switched to mudlet, I was on win XP. He's passing the buck because he can't fix it, and I say this as someone that was a zmud/cmud/zugg fanboy before that. I wanted to be loyal because I liked his customer service ethic, but it couldn't handle the spam of Aetolian group conflict, and he said there was no way to fix it.

Mudlet is supposedly the fastest for that, though I'm reasonably sure Mushclient is fast enough that whatever difference there is between them is academic only.

However, that in part seems to depend on writing good triggers. As with all clients, if you use bad regex you won't see the same performance as someone with good regex. And if you take the time to gate your triggers with non-regex then there are bigger improvements to be seen.

Lastly, there is the speed of script parsing. Despite adding local variables (which made a noticeable difference), cmud isn't great. Mush and Mudlet are really quick, though as with any coding it is possible to overwhelm it by running too much crap code too quickly.

My opinion? Go with Mush/Mudlet over CMUD as they're both faster and free, and go with Mudlet over Mush because even if you assume their performance to be perfectly identical, the GUI possibilities with Mudlet are really great.
    Haven
  • MushClient and Mudlet are probably the fastest clients out. Mudlet's ability to parse the game's provided XML maps was what sold me on the client initially. I liked that in MushClient I could script in Python (which I know and prefer over Lua), but Mudlet's mapper is phenomenal, and Lua is pretty easy to learn.

I have a very lightweight system I use for bashing that's Mudlet-based, and any lag is usually network related and not related to client parsing of data.I'm also reasonably careful to write good regex and to use non-regex triggers when I don't actually need to do pattern matching.
  • Daskalos said:
    z\c has trouble parsing the sheer amount of information coming out from the game. A large part of it, according to Zugg,  is how Windows Vista\7\8 handle a screen refresh. Supposedly cMUD on  XP runs fine.
    Can confirm, cmud ran perfectly for me on my old old xp laptop.

• How does someone activate clover leaves?
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    @Meyvitch - IIRC you TEAR the leaf.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    edited February 2014
    When you set a custom haven entrance message, does it replace the first or the second regular return to haven message?
  • You can customize both the first-person and third-person message. Use HAVENS ENTRANCE SHOW to make sure it looks correct.

i am rapture coder
    I actually meant the ones that are about 20 seconds apart. Right now, I type RETURN TO HAVEN and get: You close your eyes and begin to focus on your haven. When it goes through successfully, then I get: Rapture fills your soul and a white nimbus encompasses your body. When you open your eyes you stand within your haven. I just wanted to make sure I'm switching out the right one and not write something that completely contradicts the other.

• Ah, I see. The initiation message (you close your eyes, etc.) cannot be changed. What you change is the actual departure messages.

i am rapture coder
    All right. Thanks.
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    So. Won a pink unicorn from the Valentine's day murder mystery event, but I have no idea what it is. Is it a minipet? A mount? It says it's a loyal entity, but I don't know what all it does.
  • edited February 2014
    The unicorn is a mount. A very foolish mount.

i am rapture coder
    Iosyne
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Phoenecia said:
    So. Won a pink unicorn from the Valentine's day murder mystery event, but I have no idea what it is. Is it a minipet? A mount? It says it's a loyal entity, but I don't know what all it does.
    It's a mount.

Bear cub is a mini-pet and it is PRECIOUS.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Iosyne
    Ohhh. Related question: is the mount killable like other event mounts?
  • Yes.
  • With the recent murder mystery quest. I guessed correctly on my first guess, and never changed my accusation. One of my rewards was a little black bear, however other than that message, I've seen nothing of this. Anyone know if it was supposed to be a minipet, item/toy, or what? 

All in all that quest was pretty fun and the prizes were entertainng. 

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    You had to have guessed correctly on the first day the event was running. If you made your first guess on one of the latter days you don't get the full prize (as then you could use alts/other people's advanced info to guess correctly on the first time on a latter day).
  • I guessed it on Thursday, since I hadn't done the quest until then,but I got the reward message saying that i got a little bear, just nothing showed up in my inventory or minipet list. I'm just curious if I'm supposed to have gotten something for that or not. 

Ahh, I think they might come caged? Check if you have a minipet cage.
    edited February 2014
    From my understanding, there were three prize tiers depending on which day you made a correct accusation on.

DAY 1: Pink unicorn mount, black bear cub minipet, heart-shaped ticket for custom marriage line, box with 2 of each buff chocolate.

DAY 2: The bear cub, the marriage ticket, and the box of chocolates.

DAY 3: Marriage ticket, box of chocolate.

Incorrect accusation: Just the box of chocolates.

I'm actually kind of wondering how many people got the pink unicorn mount. I was actually kind of lucky that guessing the correct motive wasn't part of it since I got the motive completely wrong even though I got the right person. >_>

EDIT: Also, the bear minipet does come in a cage.
    Other way around actually, day 1 was the marriage ticket, day 2 the mount, day 3 the bear cub.
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Is the marriage ticket bound, or can it be sold?

Work has kept me out of aetolia for any longer than my daily lesson log in, and I want a custom marriage line :(
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Emelle
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Kinda disappointed I missed out on the pink unicorn mount.
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    edited February 2014
    The way the seasonal quest was set up involved 4 different days of participation. Even if you started the quest on day 3, you don't get to count as a day 1 vote, as that wouldn't be fair to the other participants. It would have been possible for someone to game the system by asking other players how the story had progressed over each day. You would have essentially been making a day 1 vote on day 3. Inspector Nouseau obeyed the days of the week when giving our his quests; ergo, it was only possible to gain the first two quests on day 1, the second two quests on day 2, etc. If a person was behind in the story, they could start day 1 quests on day 2, and then do day 2 quests, and so on and so forth. On day 4, voting was disabled, as the killer had been found in the up-to-date storyline, and it would have been unfair for people to be able to vote while everyone else knew the killer.

Day 1 reward was a custom marriage title, in the form of a pink ticket which is NOT bound to you. It can definitely be sold.
    Day 2 reward is a pink unicorn mount (not artifact, so it can be killed), which is bound to you.
    Day 3 reward was a bear cub minipet. There was a bug initially with this, where bears might have disappeared from players' inventories - if this happened to you, issue yourself and it will be fixed.

Everyone who participated in all of the quests received a box of 8 chocolates, a bottle of lust, an elixir of love, 3 heart-pattern fireworks, and a box of conversation hearts.

This is the first event of this type we've done for Aetolia, which was interesting in and of itself, and we were definitely able to learn what to anticipate/account for in the future. Namely, we learned that players will find a way to break almost anything.
    HavenAishia
    edited February 2014
    We also learned not to have children around when @Draiman is doing quests.
    RivasTeaniSlypheOmeiDraimanPiper
    Iosyne said:
    This is the first event of this type we've done for Aetolia, which was interesting in and of itself, and we were definitely able to learn what to anticipate/account for in the future. Namely, we learned that players will find a way to break almost anything.

Sorry!
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Are you saying that I can buy a ticket from someone so I can have "She has been mated to Rivas Silverain." instead of bound in blood/Rite of Unity?

/me starts to get her hopes up.
  • Speaking of that ^

Does the custom marriage line (via the aforementioned ticket) go both ways with both people involved in the marriage? Or would it just show up for the one person who used it, and the other person involved still has the generic marriage line?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."