Short Questions

Comments

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    That is what GMCP looks like it its raw form. Chances are it's a client-side issue.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Even though my mapper turns off GMCP every time I log on?
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Mudbot Mapper turns off MXP, that's a different thing. ZMud isn't GMCP compatible so that's probably the reason behind it leaking and acting odd.
  • @Arbre your sending gmcp or a variable which gmcp is stored in,
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • Yep, that's GMCP. I used to get that on Mudlet once in a while if my system sent too many commands at once. ZMud is a bit long in the tooth. 
  • Oleis said:
         The issue is latency. When a system operates server-side, it is inherently faster than anything client-side could ever conceivably be. The natural inclination, then, is to enforce a delay to simulate latency. In theory, that could be effective, but the end result is still something with a distinct advantage over every other system available for use.

I do understand where you are coming from with this. The latency explanation is something I have been well aware off - since before Aetolia existed, in fact. Try being competitive in a game where your own latency is larger than the majority of the other players by a factor of ten.

Before the various 'combo' abilities came about, I was unable to use tekura because people could parry two thirds of all my combos (they could switch parry in between my kick and punch). I persevered a bit with the class, back in Achaea, by splitting my targeting up rather than comboing single limbs, but that just made me easier to parry.

I'm using tripwire now, and had to ask Kaeus to adjust the system to suit longer latencies. When I told him what my average is, he laughed and asked me how I can even consider playing with a latency that bad.

Last weekend I fought with a new ally at a lesser. Afterwards this person asked me to call the affs I deliver over web, for them to track. I explained that too often they cure it before my webtell goes through. This person immediately said "oh you're Australian."

So while I understand the problems caused by perfect curing at zero latency, and the problems caused by everyone using the same system (I played Imperian then, too), I've been struggling with poor latency in these muds that reward better latency through what is ultimately nothing other than poor design, for a lot of years now.

Maybe server-side curing is not the answer; but I feel like there should be -some- answer. Just as some classes' offenses suit my latency better than others, so too could some curing mechanics suffer less, perhaps?
    RiluoHadoryu
  • Offhand, does anyone know if House (like building, not vampire) special things that are typically aligned with affecting the owner's allies could be changed to an organization? Say...a Pack instead? Pack members are allies, but I don't want all my allies to have the same effects as Pack..y'know?

Maybe I just have to poke Raz directly.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I have a question about the Artisanals and Bardics. I believe it was said in December that that month's submissions would be the last to go on a monthly basis before starting off the "once-every-third-month" thing. Right now everything is closed and I'm assuming it will be opened up after the three months, so people can submit and then be judged the month after that. So, to my question: When will the submissions that were entered in December, before everything was closed down, be judged?

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Closed down sounds weird, why not just accept submissions for 3 months and then judge, so people can submit whenever during that time frame?
    ArbreJasline
  • Free systems are a bigger hurdle than most people think.

Part of the problem is that everyone wants a solution that works for their preferred client. If you ask the admin to make a system they are probably going to do it in the HTML client because that is something they know is going to behave as expected, something they already have working the way they want with a GUI, etc. I came to the forums looking for a free system, but my preferred client is Mushclient. I did zmud way back in the day but I switched and learned mush and it's just what I am familiar with. If there had been no mush option I'd have gone with one of the mudlet ones that are available, but I knew that was going to require a bunch of additional work on my part because the clients inherently behave differently. I was lucky that @Haven had posted his Lilith.

And here's where the next problems come up:

We want a free system, we want someone who is extremely familiar with that system (most likely the original programmer) to provide support, we want it to be constantly updated. Haven seems like a pretty nice guy, and I wouldn't mind asking him a simple question every now and again, but I'm not going to ask him to code in stuff just because I want it. I'm not going to pester him for an update if a skill changes. He's already done more than his fair share just posting what he had made to begin with, completely free, with no restrictions whatsoever. My personal feeling is that it is unfair to ask for support on something he threw out there for free anyways.

Luckily I've spent enough time working on mush that I can actually go in and edit whatever I want. I'm a far cry from any kind of professional coder but I got it to stop trying to use fitness to cure my vlocks and shed instead. I got it to use erase instead of reconstitute. I've modified it to track when a cure fails due to stupidity to keep trying until it goes through. I've added a visual limb tracker that is pretty basic (colored squares and rectangles) but unicorns am I proud of it. My copy of Lilith has become a patchwork quilt with my changes, some of which are perhaps a bit sloppy. Most people who come looking for a free system are not going to be able to do these things for themselves. It will either work the way they want out of the box or they will need some support.

The only real solution is crowdsourcing. Projects for multiple clients running side by side with people who have the time and knowledge of those clients to make updates. A good codebase that has been commented properly is a great starting point. All of this could probably be run out of Kelsys, being particularly relevant, but it's going to be up to the playerbase to provide multiple, free, available solutions to solve the same problem in different ways. Find a handful of people to spearhead each project for free and there you go.
    Rawr
    Haven
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    @Amberlea: I am perfectly happy with taking personal requests and teaching how to tweak/build for the system or any coding question really if it's within my power to do so. Feel free to flag me down for questions or whatever. The only thing I really ask for is patience. Which reminds me, I need to update the forum file since a lot has changed since last summer and I've found a few bugs now that I'm back for the time being.

In truth, I hope and dream that Lilith will one day become a top tier system available to everyone for free so that anyone has a chance to compete if they desired. Once I've the motivation and time to get out of mudlet newbiedom (i.e., give it a chance and actually learn how to work it), I'll be making a version for that client too and probably abandon MUSHclient altogether since Mudlet seems to be the most popular, up to date, and powerful client available that's also free. I think it's important that these systems are widely and easily accessible for the masses in order to meet the need the game's developed for them in its evolution.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • If I bought chests with RL money can I send the contents of the crap I don't need/want on Draiman to alts? Or does that not really follow the same rules as credits?
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Claw, sword of the Hunt
    - Will deal 25% of an Eld's max health in damage when attacking one using Claw.

Picked this up and skipped off to the fissure for fun. Hit an eld with it five times and it didn't die.... What's the deal here? Do some eld have serious healing or something?
    Rawr
  • Are the artifact runes of empowerment worth the cost, for the damage that they provide?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited February 2014
    Depends on the weapon/class.

I found they're worth it for split-tempered weapons for Templar (for DSW or for DSK, particularly maces).

I would not say they are worth it for weapons already at the 175-180 range of extreme. 
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Think Claw only does 12.5% and it's never been updated. Or something silly like that.

So uhh... let's say I was inclined to grab the shrunken head arti that sneezes whenever someone says your name... will I be boned and bombarded by the people interacting with their havens?
    havenbanner2
  • You should buy it and find out. :)
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• I am 99% sure it doesn't work that way. Has to be a communication-based command, or a targetable one.

i am rapture coder
    Aryanne
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    If it does work like that we should all buy him one, also make sure it's nonrefundable.
    ArbreDraimanPerilunaPiperAryanneAreka
  • edited February 2014
    You say, "I haven't found ways to annoy him more!"

PiperAryanne
    I'll just shout more.
    havenbanner2
  • Haven said:
    I'll just shout more.
    When I hit 100 we can have shouting matches. We'll cause the whole of Aetolia to groan and SHOUTSOFF. 
    Haven
  • edited February 2014
    A question I've had for a while, figure I can throw it out here since it's been impossible for me to find as the pages are not accessible.

Does anyone know what the lesson packages amounts available were (especially in the higher amounts) and since I'm asking anyway, what their cost were?

I figure it would be good to know in advance.

• Ferrik said:

Does anyone know what the lesson packages amounts available were (especially in the higher amounts) and since I'm asking anyway, what their cost were?

I figure it would be good to know in advance.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120129110213/http://www.aetolia.com/credits.php?page=lessons

250 = 9.99 
    500 = 19.99
    750 = 27.99
    1000 = 34.99
    1500 = 49.99 
    2000 = 59.99
    Ferrik
  • Thank yoouu-ah for finding that! Very good to know! Now here's to hoping there will be bigger packages available too or something.

Is it true that lessers are on a varied timer now? I thought they were static at every 3 hours.
    havenbanner2
  • Ferrik said:
    Thank yoouu-ah for finding that! Very good to know! Now here's to hoping there will be bigger packages available too or something.
    If they have a lesson sale soon that will be great. I'd finish off the minis and probably pick up another class in a heartbeat.
    Ferrik
  • I have a quick question for the masses. Which client is the fastest with ping times?

I know it also depends on how much your system is doing, but I plan to make a basic system without all that fancy useless crap(no offense) and was wondering what everyone's opinion on clients is...?

Mush, Mudlet, Zmud, Cmud...?
    'Those that do not attempt are those with the least stories to tell.'
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Definitely not c/zMUD.