Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• Draiman said:
    Stupidity. For every non vampire that hates it there is a vampire that hates it 5000 times more than you.
    Sun afflictions? 

It can get lulzy, especially since they nerfed most of the abilities that were the mechanical reason for the damage/afflictions anyway. Rage. Rage. Gripe. Unicorns. I'm like the vampire Grandpa Simpson. At least Draiman comes to visit me at the Retirement Crypt and takes me out to eat in Xanhaal on Sundays. 
    Emelle
  • Cause it can prone us mid combo, causing us to dwhisper without a slash. This is more or less just another secrets proc for BB, since BB can't keep affliction momentum like Prae can without the slash.

Oh yeah I'm sure if you're artifacted to hell and back it doesn't matter but eff you.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Uh, sun doesn't give stupidity? Just Dizziness. I was talking more about PK stuff.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Feeling self conscious and re-writing emotes three, maybe four times, because I don't like the way something is worded and think it sounds silly. Leads to me taking twice as long to emote, sometimes, which could possibly be worse, as I don't want to make whoever I'm roleplaying with have to wait longer. It's terrible.
    Jensen
  • I have it on good authority that the person you're roleplaying with thinks you're doing a wonderful job.

i am rapture coder
    EmelleErzsebetAryanne
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Being bashed to death is never fun. :-(
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    DraimanArbreXiuhcoatl
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    I never feel like my emotes contain the right level of detail, but I don't want to be seen as the slowest typer this side of the border.

As a result, I tend to use 'say' for most of my interactions, or limit my emotes to describing Daingean's eyes or tone of voice - when I come up against those awesome rpers that have swift and detailed emotes in the time I take to frame my piddly little 'say' response, I am daunted.

It's not so much a rage, because I know that I'm doing my best within my abilities, but still, sometimes I feel like a lot of people who interact with Daingean don't get to know him as well as they could due to my own limitations - sometimes I plain forget to make note of what he's doing with something -below- his face, and a lot of times, it makes me wonder if people see Daingean as a talking head, since that's all I tend to describe in my emotes.

That said, I feel that the core of my character is communicated, and people can easily see who and what he is no matter how limited the scope of our interaction. I just sort of wish I was better able to accept the few esteems I've gotten, and the ooc notes from other players in tells or whatever - I'm glad for them, but the doubts linger.

tl;dr - Rage at Daingean being bigger in my head than I can eke out in emotes.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • You have been slain by a sinuous, fetid aberration.
    approach soul mirror
    Experience Lost: 7500 [total: 4549546]
    The corpse of a ravening, mutated aberration falls out of your inventory.
    The corpse of a slithering aberration of bone falls out of your inventory.
    The corpse of a sinuous, fetid aberration falls out of your inventory.
    A stack of 2 bloodroot leaves falls out of your inventory.
    A stack of 2 pieces of kelp falls out of your inventory.
    A stack of 2 hawthorn berries falls out of your inventory.
    A stack of 2 pieces of bayberry bark falls out of your inventory.
    A stack of 2 goldenseal roots falls out of your inventory.
    The corpse of a slithering aberration of bone falls out of your inventory.
    The Hall of the Underking.
     There are no obvious exits.
    <0/6352h 3107/5060m 27849e 21655w <eb> <>> <100|80|100|88.86%> <<Paused>> <22:04:54:801> < Auto Bashing Enabled >
    You are dead and cannot do that.
    <0/6352h 3107/5060m 27849e 21655w <eb> <>> <100|80|100|88.86%> <<Paused>> <22:04:54:819> < Auto Bashing Enabled >
    <0/6352h 3107/5060m 27849e 21655w <eb> <>> <100|80|100|88.86%> <<Paused>> <22:04:54:835> < Auto Bashing Enabled >
    [Citadel]: Auto smoke ON
    <0/6352h 3107/5060m 27849e 21655w <eb> <>> <100|80|100|88.86%> <<Paused>> <22:04:54:854> < Auto Bashing Enabled >
    <0/6352h 3107/5060m 27849e 21655w <eb> <>> <100|80|100|88.86%> <<Paused>> <22:04:54:869> < Auto Bashing Enabled >
    You approach the dais that bears the mirror.

<0/6352h 3107/5060m 27849e 21655w <eb> <>> <100|80|100|88.86%> <<Paused>> <22:04:54:994> < Auto Bashing Enabled >
    You feel that your soul is strong enough to be protected once more.

OH HAH HAH, VERY EFFING FUNNY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Esteems actually aren't that common, Daingean, at least for me (I wrote a script to track them, so!). I have gotten like 10 total, and half of them are from Anfini >_< So, I'd say if you're getting esteems that's a good sign that people like the character you've made.
    ArbreEmelleNolaAryanne
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, Esteem is not common tbh....I have two ever, from Nyrus and then Ariadne....which I am kinda proud of because I am a super nervous roleplayer who has serious doubts in my ability and freeze up in large groups.

I say if you get it, then you are doing well and to not stress much, and to be quite honest, Daingean as a character has a presence about him, that 'says' work....body language is just an extra perk, that is not at all required.
    ErzsebetAryanne
  • Daingean said:
    I never feel like my emotes contain the right level of detail, but I don't want to be seen as the slowest typer this side of the border.

As a result, I tend to use 'say' for most of my interactions, or limit my emotes to describing Daingean's eyes or tone of voice - when I come up against those awesome rpers that have swift and detailed emotes in the time I take to frame my piddly little 'say' response, I am daunted.

It's not so much a rage, because I know that I'm doing my best within my abilities, but still, sometimes I feel like a lot of people who interact with Daingean don't get to know him as well as they could due to my own limitations - sometimes I plain forget to make note of what he's doing with something -below- his face, and a lot of times, it makes me wonder if people see Daingean as a talking head, since that's all I tend to describe in my emotes.

That said, I feel that the core of my character is communicated, and people can easily see who and what he is no matter how limited the scope of our interaction. I just sort of wish I was better able to accept the few esteems I've gotten, and the ooc notes from other players in tells or whatever - I'm glad for them, but the doubts linger.

tl;dr - Rage at Daingean being bigger in my head than I can eke out in emotes.
    All of this, yes. I tend to desc eyes/expression, maybe a hand gesture and then post 'cause I'm trying to keep up with the pace of everyone else. It -is- daunting. Especially in bigger groups. Frustrating, a little.

Though. In your particular instance, I haven't RP'd with you a LOT, but I -have- RP'd with you. And you're totally fine on speed/awesome--definitely come away with a solid sense of your character from dealing with you, even if the character doesn't know you well yet.
    imageimage
  • Better than doing what I do which is type shit out sometimes faster than I should and then hit enter without reading. Especially if I've left the computer to do something (Chase a baby, most times)

Then I read it and I'm like, 'Why the fuck did I say that? Jesus, did I really put that word in there four times? ' Or I'll literally write the same sentence twice in an emote.

Sometimes I have to turn off the give-a-fuck-o-meter in my head about making people wait and just do my emotes. They'll either like it and stay or they won't RP with you anymore. Either way, it is what it is.
    ErzsebetEmelleEzalorAryanne
  • Esteem still exists?
    Well... huh. There you go.

@xavin
    Regarding lore, I always made a point of learning as much of it as I could, ICly. I'd talk to people (often the "enemy") and ask questions. Phendegwen probably remembers that; when he was a cabbie he was one of a few I'd often contact and ask for info.

These days I'm clueless because I spent so long away that there's just too much to catch up on. I feel like I barely understand the lore of my own guild let alone the rest of the game.

I found it useful for all aspects of the game, to know stuff about everything. Even for pvp, or at least making pvp meaningful with rp. And certainly for politics (or more importantly, being able to just ignore politics).
    Erzsebet
  • Veovis said:
    Draiman said:
    Stupidity. For every non vampire that hates it there is a vampire that hates it 5000 times more than you.
    Sun afflictions? 

It can get lulzy, especially since they nerfed most of the abilities that were the mechanical reason for the damage/afflictions anyway. Rage. Rage. Gripe. Unicorns. I'm like the vampire Grandpa Simpson. At least Draiman comes to visit me at the Retirement Crypt and takes me out to eat in Xanhaal on Sundays. 
    I've never noticed the sun because when I became a vampire I got sunbane. Ticks for like... 100 damage? Far less than regen and it doesn't do afflicts. I get that's an artifact but it really does make the sun a joke if anyone wants to pull "sun afflicts," as a reason not to be a vamp. Not that I'm implying you are. 

Even without sunbane, the 100cr darkness power is excellent. Particularly if you intend to tap foci outdoors in the day. 
  • Uh, sun doesn't give stupidity? Just Dizziness. I was talking more about PK stuff.
    Moirean said:
    Esteems actually aren't that common, Daingean, at least for me (I wrote a script to track them, so!). I have gotten like 10 total, and half of them are from Anfini >_< So, I'd say if you're getting esteems that's a good sign that people like the character you've made.
    I've had somewhere between 3 and 6 esteems in er, what... 11-12 years? It's not a well-known system among roleplayers anymore. 
  • Rowena said:
    Veovis said:
    Draiman said:
    Sun afflictions? 

I've never noticed the sun because when I became a vampire I got sunbane. Ticks for like... 100 damage? Far less than regen and it doesn't do afflicts. I get that's an artifact but it really does make the sun a joke if anyone wants to pull "sun afflicts," as a reason not to be a vamp. Not that I'm implying you are. 

Even without sunbane, the 100cr darkness power is excellent. Particularly if you intend to tap foci outdoors in the day. 
    I haven't really paid attention to the sun in a long time, because even the most basic system can deal with the afflictions and damage, but I really thought sun affs also gave out stupidity and confusion. Can't really blame me for forgetting after this long away, Drai. :D

Darkness is the best artifact power I have as a vampire. I've borrowed plenty of Sunbane amulets, and Sunbane definitely isn't worth what Raz charges for it, at least for me, when Darkness is so cheap.

Very early on vampire Frenzy was significantly stronger at night, at least from what I was told by one of the early vampire coders, and we had some other night bonuses that balanced out the sun damage and afflictions, and that's what I was talking about earlier when I said the affs and damage we take now don't really offset any class bonuses. Sun damage is more or less just a roleplay device now, and it's not one I'd want to get rid of.

• Veovis said:
    Rowena said:
    Veovis said:
    Draiman said:
    Sun afflictions? 

I haven't really paid attention to the sun in a long time, because even the most basic system can deal with the afflictions and damage, but I really thought sun affs also gave out stupidity and confusion. Can't really blame me for forgetting after this long away, Drai. :D

Darkness is the best artifact power I have as a vampire. I've borrowed plenty of Sunbane amulets, and Sunbane definitely isn't worth what Raz charges for it, at least for me, when Darkness is so cheap.

Very early on vampire Frenzy was significantly stronger at night, at least from what I was told by one of the early vampire coders, and we had some other night bonuses that balanced out the sun damage and afflictions, and that's what I was talking about earlier when I said the affs and damage we take now don't really offset any class bonuses. Sun damage is more or less just a roleplay device now, and it's not one I'd want to get rid of.

The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of praenomen/bloodborn weaknesses have been chipped away at over time due to things simply being rebalanced, so while your vampires aren't super powerful in terms of how much pure damage they can deal out, they can still tank a bit. I always give people the side-eye when they complain about things like sun damage and afflictions, because the two vampire classes really do have things that compensate in various ways and they're arguably two of the more powerful classes in the game anyway.

You're totally right, though. Sunbane is sort of too expensive right now, but that could be said of a lot of artifacts.

• Realdog emote

It's funny, it is. But since it was announce and I tested it...now I'm doing it INSTEAD of readlog, which I never failed to do before. *shakefist*
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    @veovis - esteem was disabled for years. It only got re-enabled a few years ago, so a lot of the older people are still unaware it got turned back on.
  • I got esteem from Moirean once and was like a cave man with a fire. * poke poke * What is it? What does it do?!
    Ferrik
  • Xavin said:

Veovis said:
    Rowena said:
    Veovis said:
    Draiman said:
    Sun afflictions? 

The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of praenomen/bloodborn weaknesses have been chipped away at over time due to things simply being rebalanced, so while your vampires aren't super powerful in terms of how much pure damage they can deal out, they can still tank a bit. I always give people the side-eye when they complain about things like sun damage and afflictions, because the two vampire classes really do have things that compensate in various ways and they're arguably two of the more powerful classes in the game anyway.

You're totally right, though. Sunbane is sort of too expensive right now, but that could be said of a lot of artifacts.
    Oh, it's not worth complaining about. Once you reach level 50 or so, sun damage is not really a big deal. You can sun-run in wolf form or bat form and take no damage if you don't want to waste cures. Bloodborn can more or less neutralize the effects of the sun for a moderate length of time. I haven't had time to figure out exactly what changed. Documentation is kind of sparse.
  • Xiuhcoatl said:
    I rage that people actually care about lore IC. Half of the lore you know OOC. How many characters actually know what happened at XYZ? The answer is like 1 or 2 AT MOST. 

This game is suppose to be a midieval fantasy. Not a lore-sing-along-athon. Grab a mace, sect challenge. Alternatively, make the lore as it should be IC. WHATEVER THE UNICORN YOU SAY IT IS. 

On a serious note, I do find it quiet strange that people would care about the truth IC. If you were to be 100% realistic, living memory would fade a lot of the past away so you'd only have what people say about it. IE, my grandpa told me that Enorian was founded by the pixies and Bloodloch by the imps and that's why they always fight. Would eventually be after a few generations, WE THE PIXIES OF ENORIAN CHALLENGE THE IMPS OF BLOODLOCH TO A DUEL TO THE DEATH. Why? Because nobody actually remembers what happened 100 years ago. You only have stories and maybe a few words on it. You'd have to be like a historian to make sense of it. 
    @Xiuhcoatl I agree and disagree about this.

Things can be remembered by more than word of mouth because there are books. There are also the gods who would be able to remember somewhat more than mortals, at least back to the moment of the Grand Artifice (and further, I think, at least in @Severn 's case?) Aetolia also gets to ignore a lot of the 'History is written by the victor' stuff we deal with IRL because the losing side isn't permaexecuted when the dust clears on a conflict.

OOC lore caches, such as forum threads, lore posted on mud sites, (event news: is this even ooc?), etc, are a blessing and a curse. They help bring people to the game because they show the depth of the world and allow players to learn about the world without having to feel like their character is an idiot when they ask 'What are vampires?' They also detract from mystery and some roleplay situations because anyone's character can suddenly be a history expert when the player alt+tabs to firefox; Characters miss the flavor or spin that another character might put on a piece of history if they were to talk about it IC.

On one hand I understand your frustration, and would prefer a world with more of that mystery and the interactions that come with having to learn stuff ICly... and the delicious, often hilarious, misinformation that could develop. On the other hand I remember being told to stfu and learn on my own when Amberlea asked someone to teach her more about a divine she was interested in. I did eventually learn stuff I wanted to, ICly through books too, but I never got the interactions I really wanted and could have saved myself a lot of headache just doing ooc research.
    Rawr
    XiuhcoatlDraiman

• On one hand I understand your frustration, and would prefer a world with more of that mystery and the interactions that come with having to learn stuff ICly... and the delicious, often hilarious, misinformation that could develop.

That's kind of the awesome thing about coming back after a long absence, actually. When I was more actively involved with the game and was involved in various projects that turned into events in the game, it was always a temptation to let some of that knowledge slip into something my character said or did, just because I would sometimes forget that he didn't know everything I know. Now, I don't know much of anything that has happened since before I left in 2008 to go to graduate school, so there's not even the slightest chance I can slip up and accidentally metagame.

The roleplay is fun, too, considering my character pulled a 152 year Rip Van Winkle. 
  • :< When did they change my Potence skill. :< Do not like.
    imageimage
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Was a needed change with the new statpacks since you could get 21 strength without any +str artifacts. 15 from statpack, +1 enhance, +2 potence, +1 white amulet, +1 starchart, +1 blessing.

It actually works out better for bashing, the new Potence adds a lot more DPS than the old one. Worse for PK.
  • Well. Less grr, I guess. Why's  there an off, is there a drain/cost? It's the command change itself that annoys me, more than the affect. >.> I'd never have noticed if it was the same command.
    imageimage
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Has a minor willpower drain yeah.
  • Urrf. Thanks for the clarification and all.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.