Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    I haven't tested ironman at all, honesty, I feel like I'd have to throw every strat I have presently out the window.

Wjoltyr
  • edited January 2022
    Procyon said:

I'm in the <99 tier, so my words don't really count, I guess. But you people are crazy. I slept both nights and went out to dinner one of them. I placed 3rd, but if you look at the points, there was no way I could have placed higher even if I didn't sleep. I genuinely feel that artifacts (and maybe starting at a higher level? I was 88 at the beginning of the hunt) made the biggest difference in my tier. This is a lot of assumption work, though. I don't really know anything about Zerin or @Akrios .</p>

Hi! Nothing I did was any different to how I'd usually play the game. I haven't played in an incredibly long time, and when I started here like last week(?) I didn't even know a great hunt was happening. I just had friends starting here and thought I'd take a gander as well.

I completely rebuilt my system from the ground up when I started, borrowing little bits and pieces of code / triggers from Lin's Challenger Deep system, as well as Sunder, to possibly get new ideas on how to do things. I was coding for most of the time I was bashing, and chatting with people on web the whole time. Stopping to help with milestones / lessers when needed, all that jazz. I never AFK bashed any of it like I know some people did.

As for perks(?) I didn't have anything special. Tri trans/avoidance/survival plus like ~240 lessons into each miniskill just for some extra audit. Resist rings. Yelllow/white/red amulet + ylem orbs, zero actual artifacts at all. I started the great hunt at 86, and stopped hunting like 10 hours before it ended; my only goal was getting 100, which I did. The extra credits were just a bonus... All said I think I bashed for probably like ~22 of those 48 hours? I slept 8 hours both nights, and afk'd/did other stuff for the rest.

Zerin was a machine, she also has a fair amount of arties I believe. I knew by about ~6hrs in that she was gonna win it, and I just don't have it in me to nolife great hunts anymore. Congrats to her, I achieved what I wanted to, and got a lot of work done on my system that I probably would have otherwise procrastinated with. Sry for the long post, I got tagged and we don't have a "Greathunt in Review" thread like was suggested.
  • Akrios said:

I just don't have it in me to nolife great hunts anymore.

I feel this in my soul.

LinSibattiXavin
    edited January 2022
    I only really stayed up too late one night tbh. I almost exactly hit my goal of 31 hours of bashing, and took a decent number of small breaks. Anything more that that is def stretching my Mid Thirties too hard.

edit: as for Tier 1 and 98-, you're going to see a massive performance difference between anywhere in the 80's and 98. You get a ton of DPS boost from crits in that range each level. I'd also be willing to bet that artifacts give you a MUCH bigger edge in Tier 1.

Edit the third: nevermind on my second edit. Not really worth arguing about.

• Tetchta said:
    I haven't tested ironman at all, honesty, I feel like I'd have to throw every strat I have presently out the window.
    Indeed. It is a challenging problem to solve and optimize. A fun one, even. The actual experience blows though.

I have a decent theory about it and would happily theorize with someone if they wanted.
  • edited January 2022
    I haven’t  been logged in for a minute, but after reading and comparing attitude and approach to other text games that have a higher focus and standard for Rp and story telling, I can only conclude this community as a whole has a cognitive disconnect between what is story telling and what is personal experience. 

PhoeneciaLinAxiusWjoltyrIllikaalEleneRhineEvelynQelres
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    edited January 2022
    Edit: nevermind!
  • The crow's nest of this stupid bottle >:[

The Divine voice of Ictinus, the Architect echoes in your head, "I think you are cursed."
    HolbrookWjoltyr
  • No public news posts, no smack talk, no response from direct inquiries. I literally have no idea what is going on with this Un/Death war. At least there were 300 (shouts+public news posts)/minute during the player made war in December do you knew who did what, what they ate, and how dirty their underpants were.

Also, right during the Superb Owl? More criminal than that no-call on the Tee Higgins TD catch.
  • You're clearly in the wrong city. <_<
    SryaenCzciennNipsyLin
    edited February 2022
    Wjoltyr said:

Also, right during the Superb Owl? More criminal than that no-call on the Tee Higgins TD catch.

I was pretty salty about this when I first logged on yesterday after being off for a couple days and being overwhelmed by reading everything, but once I chilled out and actually read what the mechanics of the conflict are, it's honestly not a big problem. The conflict is clearly meant to go on for many days**, so even though it did kick off (HA) during the Super Bowl, I think anybody who wants to take a shot at it is going to get the opportunity in the coming days. It's not like the Fury Event where it was a one-and-done fight.

**I may actually be wrong about this, I'm kinda confused about some of the things posted in the rules of the event T_T***

***I am not wrong about this, as per Keroc:

Message #2669 Sent By: Keroc Received On: 2/14/2022/13:22
    "You won't be able to fill one spear up from one event. It will take multiple. But the total is always carried across, you can go PROBE a spear to see how many it has."

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Team Spirit got roughly 200ish points on a single spear in one day - so yeah there is plenty of time for a potential comeback!
    edited February 2022
    It looks like the available points are pretty consistent at about 270, meaning we have at LEAST four days, possibly way more.

• edited February 2022
    Some of you need to have a good, hard read of the PK rules again and stop with the "rules for thee, not for me" mentality.
    TetchtaNisaviIesidCzciennWjoltyr
    HELP AEGISPK and ANNOUNCE #3306 are good starting places.

Iazamat
  • Tetchta said:

Me sitting over here finding it hilarious that the people who clamored for HELP AEGISPK are the ones violating it, and not only that: using the logic from the first ruling that was later overturned to justify their actions when they were the ones who ranted until it happened.
    IazamatIesidIllikaalSryaenLin
  • Nisavi said:

Tetchta said:

Me sitting over here finding it hilarious that the people who clamored for HELP AEGISPK are the ones violating it, and not only that: using the logic from the first ruling that was later overturned to justify their actions when they were the ones who ranted until it happened.
    You should play the game before remarking on what's actually going on in it.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    NisaviSryaen
  • Nisavi said:

Tetchta said:

Your scenario is also different. HELP AEGISPK exists because you were killing people for some of the things now expressly forbidden inside that file.

Today, people are vagueposting because I led groups the last two days killing anybody who dampens an aegis in 3 specific zones in the game that have high importance to the narrative right now.

I would argue that these are different because you weren't doing yours because of an event - you just wanted to knock some skulls.
    IazamatSryaen
    Is your name on the Aegis?

• Iazamat said:

Some of you need to have a good, hard read of the PK rules again and stop with the "rules for thee, not for me" mentality.

Tetchta said:

Is your name on the Aegis?

All of these rules are lesser than the greater PK rules and do not override them. So if it was (real
    life) weeks ago, move on. It needs to make narrative sense, and an Aegis isn't important enough to
    plot revenge for (in game) years.

3. Raising shrines in and of itself is not sufficient grounds for PK, unless the shrine is being raised in an area that has some significance to you/your organisations. There needs to be more context than simply raising a shrine. Even if your character has a beef with the God in question - start a Holy War or defile the shrines instead.

Bolded for emphasis.

I would say that what we're doing is inside the rules.
    IazamatSryaen
  • edited February 2022
    I would say that these reasons didn't count for some mysterious reason when it was a different group of players claiming them, but again, "rules for thee, not for me" is the name of the game.

...killing anybody who dampens an aegis in 3 specific zones in the game that have high importance to the narrative right now.

I mean, this is literally admitting that these zones are "hotspots" under the AEGISPK rules.
    Nisavi
    edited February 2022
    The part you quoted is from an entire couple of sentences, and is specifically addressing justifying seeking revenge for one's destruction. It's not a sentence that says "these rules aren't relevant if you can say your character cares a whole lot about it." In fact, I think that the area being a hotspot of activity arguably works against your justification, given rule 2, though that's specifically about revenge (just like the other part you quoted).

#3 in that announce seems like a flimsy connection to me here, 'cause we could use all sorts of loose justifications for "this is important to my org." Like Mhojave and the Vashnars.

More concerning, though, is that PK cause and defense for Aegises as outlined in the help file specifically highlights that the person who has the right to defend is the owner.

1) If you are online and any aegis you own is being actively attacked you are allowed to defend it
    DURING the attack.

Iazamat
  • edited February 2022
    Illikaal said:

Nisavi said:

Tetchta said:

Why would I want to when people are acting like this?

In any event, the logic is the same scenario. There's also a massive assumption that I just wanted to "knock some skulls" when I was defending my aegis due to the amount of time and effort that went into its creation and planting.

HELP AEGISPK exists because of the very same actions that I was condemned for doing, and the people that were clamoring for it at the time are the ones violating it.

Tether tribalism is bad, and it's just another incentive to not play. People need to step back and realize that there are people on the other side of the computer who just happen to play on a different team.
    Iazamat
  • edited February 2022
    Nisavi said:

Illikaal said:

Nisavi said:

Tetchta said:

Let's not kid ourselves, the reason HELP AEGISPK exists is because you play the exact same way that you are claiming you hate...
    IazamatKidosSryaenIllikaal
  • edited February 2022
    Iesid said:

Nisavi said:

Illikaal said:

Nisavi said:

Tetchta said:

Let's not kid ourselves, the reason HELP AEGISPK exists is because you play the exact same way that you are claiming you hate...
    I didn't claim I hate anything. My logic has always been: "If you're involving yourself in PK outside of established open PK areas, you are opening yourself up for retaliation by taking action against another player." Last I checked, none of you guys are the Ascendril that planted that aegis.

All I see is a bunch of people just dogpiling on one person and then trying to avoid the consequences.
    Iazamat
  • Nisavi said:

I didn't claim I hate anything. My logic has always been: "If you're involving yourself in PK outside of established open PK areas, you are opening yourself up for retaliation by taking action against another player." Last I checked, none of you guys are the Ascendril that planted that aegis.

That would be relevant if the aegis wasn't in a contested zone in the narrative. You are comparing apples to oranges and insisting that, since they are both fruit (aegis), they both must clearly taste the same. That's just not the case.

In your scenario, you used an aegis for cause over an unreasonable length of time and wouldn't let it go. The aegis wasn't really anywhere special.

In our scenario, we are bulldogging people away from the aegis and not hunting them at all. If they come back to the area, what are we expected to think? The aegis is in one of three zones in the entire game and we aren't expanding that list.

There's a world of difference and you're ignoring it for the sake of being tribal.

Iazamat
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited February 2022
    Nisavi said:

Iesid said:

Nisavi said:

Illikaal said:

Nisavi said:

Tetchta said:

All I see is a bunch of people just dogpiling on one person and then trying to avoid the consequences.
    You got issued for trying to hunt down players for days long after your Aegis got destroyed, not for actively defending it as I recall.

Mjoll got killed for being 1 room away from an Aegis in active warzone. I think it would be completely reasonable, regardless of if it's shadow or spirit, to defend whoever's Aegis it is given the context of what's going on, whether the person who made it is online or not. Otherwise, the PK rules need to be spelled out to the letter for reasons like this.

I don't see how people keep trying to equate these two things. And please, stop being childish and flagging related comments as off topic because you literally do not play the game.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Iazamat
  • So how about that Tusk? Thing needs to be big time nerfed. As useful as it was, I think we can all agree on that. 
    JhuraCzciennLinLenoriel
    I don't think the HELP AEGISPK rules are meant to only be a "you can't do a carbon copy of what Nisavi did" thing, otherwise it'd be way more specific about that.

Iazamat