Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• I'm pretty sure Whirran was referencing the Sect fight, not the time you were fishing (and apparently afk doing so?)

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

WjoltyrNipsy
  • Toz said:
    I'm pretty sure Whirran was referencing the Sect fight, not the time you were fishing (and apparently afk doing so?)
    There's no sect fight and no other avenue of 1v1. He doesn't have the log of it because that does not exist. He killed Saltz while I was afk yeah, I don't deny it and the next time I was fishing, in which I wasn't afk and anticipating him he just died with all his prep. Which's log exists, because it actually happened.
  • NipsyNipsy Setting fire to Aeryx's mine

WjoltyrTetchta
  • edited January 2022
    Take your pick?

Edit for transparency: None of these appear to be Sect based  on factors I don't  need to explain. But I thought it was funny.
    Nipsy
  • edited January 2022
    Dec 28 ones are the afk death, i owned up to. Rest are not from 1v1s. But sup, I've proof unlike you cherry picking random stuff u have no idea about on death bots for reasons unknown to me. No sect 1v1 death.

Wjoltyr
  • Check out my edit for transparency, made before your post. I can explain how Toz assisted Jan 12th and Nov 12th was a mass conflict, but I don't have to. I'm here for the humor. 

So Pete peeve, humorless people all hot and bothered. Not even going to fix that typo incase there is a Pete out there. 
    Nipsy
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I miss forum moderators.
    NaosProcyonRhineAeryxTetchtaSibattiFyrren
  • 1457 minute fight. Now that's some dedication.
    SeurimasProcyonSibatti
  • I used to be pretty, uh, aggro. Like angry and vicious and willing to unicorns people over just to get ahead. Giving myself a little kindness, I was fighting some pretty nasty mental illness at that time, so I wasn't all myself. But my point is that, since getting my shit together IRL, I've realized that making the game fun for others as well is more important than adhering to assholish tendencies just because they're justified by RP. I tend to be a lot more forgiving and try not to press issues I know stress others out if I can help it. I'm not saying drop your RP completely and go back to old school Duiran tree hugging; I'm just saying give people a little room to breathe.
  • Y'all are wild.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    TetchtaNipsyLinKurakHolbrookFyrren
  • Toz said:

I'm pretty sure Whirran was referencing the Sect fight, not the time you were fishing (and apparently afk doing so?)

Eh? He's done it a few times and doesn't seem at all repentant? I've killed him afk fishing before as well, and it's even on record in issues.
    NipsyIazamat
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    stop afk fishing

IazamatSeurimasNipsyFyrren
  • Don't make me issue you guys for spamming me with filler posts I am forced to read.

... on a more serious note that is unrelated to the recent row of conflict pet peeves, I was really enthusiastic to try my hand at the Y500 Design Contest, but I have had no inspiration and writer's block is hitting me pretty hard still, 17 days into January. Nothing is immediately springing up into my mind. :(
    ValorieReaveRhineNipsyGalileiWjoltyrFyrren
  • Tetchta said:
    stop afk fishing
    Is it afk fishing if you are on a different window? I am not throwing into this argument. Legitimately curious. 
  • RAVENS.

That is all.
    NipsyRhineHolbrookEleneCzciennLinIesid
  • edited January 2022
    Ayastia said:

Is it afk fishing if you are on a different window? I am not throwing into this argument. Legitimately curious. 

AFK in this instance, simply means not actively paying any attention to the game. Not literally away from your computer. If you're playing FF14 in a different window and don't notice someone saying something to you, that'd be "AFK" in this situation.
    edited January 2022
    This happens every GH, so I'm not that surprised, but I find it annoying every time: people act like the Great Hunt is just "buy artifacts, pick the best class, press the on button on your autobasher and you win." Like, yup, you are definitely going to need to be artied to win Tier 2 (99+) and, frankly, Tier 1 as well (98-) given that every competition there's someone who makes a character and parks them at 98 so they destroy the lower level folk. Aetolia is a game that's built around paying premium currency for perks, sometimes perks that are borderline necessary for some aspects of play (like bashing in endgame areas).

All that said, if you think you're going to win a great hunt because you omnitrans Carnifex/Warden and buy some artifacts and just turn your autobash to "on," you'll be lucky if you even place in the top 10, especially if you're not experienced/practice bashing regularly. There's a lot of unseen strategy that goes into the top placers in the GH, as well as just a ton of time at the computer. I planned shifts and breaks for, I dunno, all the weeks leading up to the GH. I had a spreadsheet I dedicated to planning my stats and making sure I had enough to cover my buffs. I added a ton of new loops to my basher, and even built a clickable UI to save my fingers. This is all ignoring how I ended up completely rewriting my autobasher code after the last Great Hunt. Even with the Carnifex Nerfs, I was getting over 200 more points/hour than I got last time because of strategy changes and optimizations. That's all ignoring that, over the 48 hours the hunt ran, I bashed for 31 of those hours.

And the amazing thing is, after all that? @Jezreth beat me, in Zealot. After a post-hunt breakdown, you know what we determined out of it all? Jezreth didn't beat me because Zealot is overpowered, Jezreth beat me because:
    1. his strategy was slightly better (he was getting ~50-100 more points/hour than me--100 earlier on before I drilled down my loops, 50 later in the hunt)
    2. he bashed longer than I did
    So, yeah, you gotta be pretty minmaxed to win Tier 2, but you can't just pay to win the Great Hunt, because you won't. You gotta like bashing at least a little bit, and you gotta be determined to sink somewhere between 30-40 hours out of the 48 into the thing to win.

LinWjoltyrValorieIllikaalArath
  • Ayastia said:

I'm usually coding or doing guild work in the background while I fish. Remember to check your tells regularly in case someone contacted you for something and it should be fine.

And of course, the one time you forget to check is the one time someone is going to need you for something. >.<
    TetchtaRihrinFyrrenNipsy
  • I did 0 prep, didn't log in on Friday, and didn't pull any all-nighters or try particularly hard and still placed 8th overall. I also didn't use any bashing buffs, no chocs/grimstim/etc. Artifacts make a massive difference. I'd say top *5* requires some actual bashing knowledge, anything before that just requires a pile of gear and a willingness to let your basher run.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• Going to be honest here. I literally just logged in and did my normal bashing routine. I took one 3 hour nap and one 14 hour break. I placed top 3. Had I cut that down to like...two six hour breaks to sleep or something I could have done 2nd. Maybe there was a couple point optimizations I could have done but GH boiled to eat chocos and turn basher on for me. I am mostly bashing for xp though. I am almost positive I just straight whale powered my placing. I am not even particularly into bashing. I just want to get 200. It is a goal.
    FyrrenNipsy
  • AeryxAeryx Docking Nipsy's pay
    It might be worth it to make a Great Hunt: In Review thread, I would love to see it and would post there as well.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
    edited January 2022
    I mean, your autobasher is Rime's, Kurak, which has one of the best bashing scripts in the game LOL. You're benefiting from the 100's of hours of bashing experience and the coding prowess of Mjoll and Bulrok, so it'd def be reductive to chalk it up to just whaling. But I think I made it pretty clear in my original post that I wasn't saying artifacts aren't the difference between winning and placing--it's just definitely not the only aspect going on. You can see the difference strategy and time makes by comparing my score to Jezreth's.

edit: also, how competitive the hunt is makes a huge difference in the meta. I noticed, overall, that while it was highly competative in the top 4ish slots, this hunt wasn't nearly as competative as the last one. The bashed-out zones were way less prevalent. At peak during the previous hunt, areas were just all empty and getting points was really tough. You can see this different level of inner-tier competition by just looking at the point difference:

1 Jhin 128233 400cr
    2 Mjoll 110685 350cr
    3 Tetchta 100000 300cr
    4 Dourif 77835 250cr
    5 Isia 74519 200cr
    6 Bulrok 73743 150cr
    7 Aeryx 73092 100cr
    8 Rhyot 67748 100cr
    9 Ardent 58608 50cr
    10 Valorie 55268 50cr
    versus
    1 Jezreth 142038 1 Zealot
    2 Tetchta 108132 2 Carnifex
    3 Kurak 102657 3 Carnifex
    4 Aeryx 92717 4 Templar
    5 Teani 71527 5 Shapeshifter
    6 Czcibor 42711 6 Warden
    7 Cayn 42497 7 Carnifex
    8 Toz 40064 8 Carnifex
    9 Isia 35991 10 Warden
    10 Nipsy 35968 11 Carnifex

Barrier to entry in the top ten is gonna vary from competition to competition, and in the previous run, you wouldn't have even scratched the top ten by just flipping on your authobasher and praying for points.

• Tetchta said:

I mean, your autobasher is Rime's, Kurak, which has one of the best bashing scripts in the game LOL. You're benefiting from the 100's of hours of bashing experience and the coding prowess of Mjoll and Bulrok, so it'd def be reductive to chalk it up to just whaling. But I think I made it pretty clear in my original post that I wasn't saying artifacts aren't the difference between winning and placing--it's just definitely not the only aspect going on. You can see the difference strategy and time makes by comparing my score to Jezreth's.

edit: also, how competitive the hunt is makes a huge difference in the meta. I noticed, overall, that while it was highly competative in the top 4ish slots, this hunt wasn't nearly as competative as the last one. The bashed-out zones were way less prevalent. At peak during the previous hunt, areas were just all empty and getting points was really tough. You can see this different level of inner-tier competition by just looking at the point difference:

1 Jhin 128233 400cr
    2 Mjoll 110685 350cr
    3 Tetchta 100000 300cr
    4 Dourif 77835 250cr
    5 Isia 74519 200cr
    6 Bulrok 73743 150cr
    7 Aeryx 73092 100cr
    8 Rhyot 67748 100cr
    9 Ardent 58608 50cr
    10 Valorie 55268 50cr
    versus
    1 Jezreth 142038 1 Zealot
    2 Tetchta 108132 2 Carnifex
    3 Kurak 102657 3 Carnifex
    4 Aeryx 92717 4 Templar
    5 Teani 71527 5 Shapeshifter
    6 Czcibor 42711 6 Warden
    7 Cayn 42497 7 Carnifex
    8 Toz 40064 8 Carnifex
    9 Isia 35991 10 Warden
    10 Nipsy 35968 11 Carnifex

Barrier to entry in the top ten is gonna vary from competition to competition, and in the previous run, you wouldn't have even scratched the top ten by just flipping on your authobasher and praying for points.
    Considering switching to Rime as my main basher was a recent development and I had the same clear times in Sunder, in fact with my bashing route the only thing I benefit from in Rime(bashing wise) is better clotting and slightly better shield handling. But I hardly ever shield because of vigor and caramels. Perhaps it is a bit reductive to chalk everything up to a better system.
  • I wouldn't have placed, but Kurak still would have been third, lol.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

edited January 2022
    I'm literally not arguing whether artifacts make a difference at the top level. Why do you keep thinking that's what I'm arguing?

edit: like this is even in my original post
    Like, yup, you are definitely going to need to be artied to win Tier 2 (99+) and, frankly, Tier 1 as well (98-) given that every competition there's someone who makes a character and parks them at 98 so they destroy the lower level folk. Aetolia is a game that's built around paying premium currency for perks, sometimes perks that are borderline necessary for some aspects of play (like bashing in endgame areas).

• @Tetchta I'd take my lessons learned from Ironman mode and devise a better strategy... except that second point you made about time. I had one goal, which was to get 10k pts. So close. Unless I'm out of town for a weekend (never gonna happen to coincide with a GH) the time I could unreasonably sink into a GH will never be competitive.

But very insightful. Thank you for sharing that insight!
  • I'm in the <99 tier, so my words don't really count, I guess. But you people are crazy. I slept both nights and went out to dinner one of them. I placed 3rd, but if you look at the points, there was no way I could have placed higher even if I didn't sleep. I genuinely feel that artifacts (and maybe starting at a higher level? I was 88 at the beginning of the hunt) made the biggest difference in my tier. This is a lot of assumption work, though. I don't really know anything about Zerin or @Akrios .
  • To win you need to pretty much need to give up on a lot of sleep and be actively paying attention for most of your waking hours, but top ten really is just a matter of having arties and enough hours. I don't think bashing script or strategy matters all that much.

I placed 6th but I was mostly bashing for the sake of bashing so I logged maybe around 24-26 hours including some afk breaks in between. I was actively paying attention for maybe 2 of those hours. Other than that I'd just run the same route I usually run over and over. There were long periods where I'd have my basher running on my second monitor and I'd just see myself going through empty zones for a long time and just let it keep running because I didn't really care all that much. My final week to 200 would have been much closer to a "competitive" great hunt experience where I was actively looking for things to bash.
  • I mean, it's safe to say artifacts give you a significant advantage, but they certainly are not a win button unless there is a huge disparity i.e. someone rocking all +3's vs someone with hardly any artifacts at all. It's just like giving someone a system with a fully functioning offense in it. The clothes don't make you, the moves do.

But i'm also confused as to why people are complaining about the disparity between bashing tiers when there's, you know, Ironman for this EXACT reason.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    TetchtaWjoltyr