Short Questions

Comments

• Trikal said:

The noon negatives do, yes @jensen. Being a vampire and in any other class, all the cons none of the pros, what'd you want, something that seems fair and reasonable?

The current situation is actually fairly good compared to how things used to be :tongue: You used to get the fire malus and the like out of class, too.

• Vampire penalty is awful. There shouldn't be one at all.
    VaskarRiluo
  • MordtriusMordtrius St Louis MO
    My .2 cents is that you should have all vampire attributes and earthmeld/entomb/mist form(possibly with some kind of longer than usual delay?) + feed as "race skills" when you are a vampire so that it affects you no matter what class you are in.

I primarily care for the RP reasons though.

In any case, short question: Can we get MURMUR mentioned somewhere in the help files? Preferably under communication section with its own heading I think. I had to ask in clan RP what the command was because I couldn't remember, and it seems completely un-discoverable.
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Lessening the sun's effects probably wouldn't be a bad thing. As someone who had a vampire alt, it was pretty debilitating and the Sunbane artifact was borderline required. If the damage/afflictions that vampires take from the sun has been exacerbated with the day/night changes, then I'm pretty sure it's too nasty for most vamps to handle.

On the subject of maluses and bonuses though, do vampire subraced folks get to come back from death quicker than regular undead/living or does that apply only to those in the Praenomen class?
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Sub race can diffuse but can't entomb (which is the super duper quick sequence). I don't remember the timings but I want to say diffuse is either the same time or just a smidgen faster than living sequence. There's a thread somewhere here with Riluo whining about it, I -think- there were numbers posted.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Riluo
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I'm always on the fence about mechanical boons/hinders when viewed from RP lenses vs pvp lenses. The vamp one I totes get from the RP side
  • Entomb takes about 45s, diffuse mist about 90s, and earthmeld takes 120s. I think you can make entomb faster to 30s with an articoffin+deathlink, iirc.

As for sun damage, it gets really debilitating. Even the sunbane artifact wont nullify noon damage. That said, I dont think noon damage should be jumping up to 7000 points of damage, but really should have a max of say 1000-1500, if we really want the noon sun to still be painful (Which is understandable).

Id make a classlead, but I dont want to double down on Ezalors report.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Riluo
  • Jensen said:

I'm always on the fence about mechanical boons/hinders when viewed from RP lenses vs pvp lenses. The vamp one I totes get from the RP side

No question. PvP lenses should take priority.

RP is flexible and it can bend to account for things like "vampire players shouldn't have to eat huge penalties half the day".
    IshinDraimanErzsebetRiluo
  • The damage becomes just annoying by endgame. It isn't enough to kill you or have an effect until you decide to hunt or pk, then it is just a death sentence.

Noon dmg is noon dmg, 5 minutes of hide.

@vaskar As a new player who doesn't have any actual experience, I hold the opposite view as far as RP vs PvP. I agree that vampires shouldn't have to eat huge penalties, but as far as PvP can't we hide inside and force lifers to engage us indoors during the day? Idk, feel like PvP can bend.
    PK already bends plenty for the purpose of making sure players are able to enjoy their game.

VaskarIshin
    To expand:

My uninformed opinion with no eye towards balance would be that vampires should have significant detriments during the day outside, be "normal" during the day inside and for a bit at dawn/dusk when the sun is rising/setting, and have significant advantages at night. Add some skills to help them prevent people from forcing them outside during the day (there might be enough of these already) and perhaps some kind of ability that drains their strength significantly in order to empower an undead player [since the non-vampire undead would have to take care of any daylight outdoor fighting] and I feel vampires could have their RP and still be viable.

As stated though, I have no real experience. This is mainly an RP fantasy from my head.
  • The only class in the game that can make a room indoors is Shaman, which is lifer-tethered.

There are classes that can turn a room dark so sun won't hit, but vampires cannot. Also life side can undo the dark with several classes.

In closing? It's terrible RP that I can stick a halberd in your stomach and swirl it around and you take a sip of health and it heals you. I kind of just blended your digestive tract. Skewer/wrench should be an instakill, do it for the RP.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

TragerVaskar
    @toz Eh, true enough. Point taken.
    Sorry for all the questions, but another: Is there any kind of effort to get rid of/replace book that reference outdated game mechanics? For instance the book "The Transcended Mortal Races" by Galioure is in the Grand Aetolian Library and mentions the powers that the Azudim/Yeleni used to have but don't any longer. It also, of course, makes no mention of the Idreth.
  • Mordtrius said:

Sorry for all the questions, but another: Is there any kind of effort to get rid of/replace book that reference outdated game mechanics? For instance the book "The Transcended Mortal Races" by Galioure is in the Grand Aetolian Library and mentions the powers that the Azudim/Yeleni used to have but don't any longer. It also, of course, makes no mention of the Idreth.

Many of those books are written by players, but I think you're missing the point behind libraries. I'm assuming you're looking at them as a source of research or as an encyclopedia, and I would advise against this train of thought. Things tend to change in game often enough to make many works obsolete. If you're looking for information on game mechanics, look at help files.

I think of libraries more as glimpses into people's minds and histories. They're there for lore and flavor, and works from the past are parts of said histories, even if they are obsolete. The Grand Aetolian Library was never meant to be a source for current game mechanic information, as far as I can tell.
    DristinEmelle
    @fezzix Well in this particular case I was looking for more information on the lore about azudim/yeleni/idreth and have found nothing truly useful in libraries nor help files. For instance, where does the divine essence to turn into azudim/yeleni come from now that you don't get it directly from a god/goddess?

In addition, are help files completely RP? I always figured they were basically an OOC necessity. Does my character know all information from all help files?
  • @Mordtrius Yes, most people refer to help files as "scrolls."
  • Mordtrius said:

@vaskar As a new player who doesn't have any actual experience, I hold the opposite view as far as RP vs PvP. I agree that vampires shouldn't have to eat huge penalties, but as far as PvP can't we hide inside and force lifers to engage us indoors during the day? Idk, feel like PvP can bend.

As it stands now, vampires face the sun penalties for roughly half of their playing time. That is a terribly long time to have to hide from the sun and avoid outdoor bashing areas, outdoor fishing areas, outdoor PvP, etc, etc.

That kind of thing might be called for if this were some World of Darkness type stuff where even a mediocre vampire could trash 5 regular humans without trouble, but it's not. This is Aetolia where a regular human can punch a vampire to death in the middle of the night. And you don't get to say "But that's an exceptional human since it's a PC!", because the counter to that is "That's an exceptional vampire!".
    @vaskar Yeah, I'd prefer some kind of weakness over the magnitude of damage vampires currently take. Personally I think it'd be cool if a vampire could take on 2-3 equally skilled players at night "in their element" but then a half-trained newly graduated from novicehood lifer could take a vampire in the sun. Out of the sun but during the day a vampire could be about equal strength.

All that being said, I doubt that would work well in practice unfortunately. Super hard to find a good balance and vampires would still have a hard time bashing in the sun.

Whatever ends up happening, I will be a bit disappointed if the end result is a bunch of vampires standing in the sun with no worries all the time though.
    Another question! How big is the average grecht? People are saying "smaller than human" when I talk to them OOC in game. I'd like to mention my height in my description.
  • Mordtrius said:

Another question! How big is the average grecht? People are saying "smaller than human" when I talk to them OOC in game. I'd like to mention my height in my description.

Fezzix is roughly 5'6." He was about 4'9" before he ascended and became Idreth, but I was aiming for the lower end of the height scale with grecht.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    readlog bloodloch

2016/04/02 00:00:41 - Tally of Teshen raiders slain after the last howling - Sion slew 1, Sarita slew 14, and Eliser slew 1.
    2016/04/02 00:00:41 - No Teshen raiders slain after the last howling.
    Type MORE to continue reading. (0% shown)
    It goes on for about 10,000 lines. Oh dear god why?
    Explains the lag from the howling today.

• I think its kind of funny. Great prank. lol
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• The reason for that above bug should be resolved for the next reset, so you shouldn't see that happen again.
    Sarita
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited April 2016
    Are there any intentions/plans of unscrewing the comm market anytime soon? I have stuff stockpiled because I craft like crazy, but given that there's only like 20 wood for sale in the entire world, it's getting kind've ridiculous for everyone else.

ETA: -Especially- for new wood/furniture crafters/shop owners, now that wood's a required comm in everything.
    imageimage
    Riluo
  • Erzsebet said:

Are there any intentions/plans of unscrewing the comm market anytime soon? I have stuff stockpiled because I craft like crazy, but given that there's only like 20 wood for sale in the entire world, it's getting kind've ridiculous for everyone else.

ETA: -Especially- for new wood/furniture crafters/shop owners, now that wood's a required comm in everything.

It's because of Indorani - we asked about getting it changed, but it's pending a classlead. So hopefully at the end of this classlead season it won't cost like 1k gold+ per fight for poor @Akara.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz