Short Questions

Comments

• ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited April 2015
    I agree with you. It does limit your RP choices--is why I RP being the sort of political power that gets others to do her physical fighting for her, because she can, generally. But as a house leader, especially with the things still hanging over our heads, I don't really feel like it's an option to participate, despite how much I hate it. Which. Not an admin problem, that. That's a problem of having RP integrity and being unwilling to bend it at all.

In any case, I'm not referring to -my- exclusion. Erz is artifacted enough that I can probably hunt bloodwood, particularly if I run with housemates. I'm referring to all of the other people who can't participate--the ones that -want- to, but can't, because they're not endgame yet.
    imageimage
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Erzsebet said:

In any case, I'm not referring to -my- exclusion. Erz is artifacted enough that I can probably hunt bloodwood, particularly if I run with housemates. I'm referring to all of the other people who can't participate--the ones that -want- to, but can't, because they're not endgame yet.

Send them my way! I'd love to hear their input about how we can integrate them better. :)
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    AarbrokRiluo
    By not limiting it to higher level areas? I mean. You did two areas. Could've done a high level area -and- a lower-ish one, so they can participate too. Or two highers and a lower. Something.

Just a thought.

Unrelated question: Is the rituos marriage ritual supposed to only prompt one person to agree, while still requiring both people to do so?
    imageimage
  • Erzsebet said:

I'm referring to all of the other people who can't participate--the ones that -want- to, but can't, because they're not endgame yet.

I would like to point out that everyone has the chance to participate in the Bloodhunt, be they 100+ or still a newb by level standards. Thats what hunting parties are for. Thats what the webs are for. It allows lower level players to enjoy participating in higher level areas/events AND increase their own personal gain as well. Mechanic wise, I can take an entire group of non-100 people, run into Vortex, bash it solo with them in tow/in web and watch as they're levels fucking skyrocket. And they're still participating! Maybe not to the huge extent that I can, but they are still participating. Exclusion, like @Jensen said, is all player driven. There are plenty of mechanics built within the game that can allow anyone and everyone to participate in whatever event the admin decide to give us.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Rivas
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Rp integrity sometimes DOES need to get bent, as an aside. Especially in leadership - sometimes we need to sacrifice a bit of our RP for the health of our communities (sometimes I feel I've done this too much as Areka and she is less fun to play because of it, but it has helped a lot with communication overall), or for the sake of other peoples' playing experience (such as why, rules aside, we don't just PK everyone who is an 'enemy' whenever we see them, etc).

In regards to this: Bloodwood has no aggros, and is a less-pressing area than Xaanhal or Tiyen due to only spawning at night (when Vamps can safely participate). While covering lower-level areas sounds good in principle, it means that anyone who might happily bash in those areas is not facing a BL from equal-level people, but from the Ezalors and Zsadists as well (which disenfranchises folk on the other side of the game who are also additionally limited in bashing due to RP scruples).
    DristinAarbrokAldric
    edited April 2015
    Tangentially related, been meaning to ask, are the things in Bloodwood -meant- to strip book tattoo/other XP_gain defs?
    imageimage
  • 'Attack, my mighty vampire army! Hunt the weevils and plushies, where ever they might hide!' just doesn't have the same ring to it. I think that part of the problem with this game is that people want too much - you either want your event to be yours omg nobody else can even look *cathiss* orrrr you want 10000% openness to everyone.

Can't watch a RP event because it's in Eno? Don't go phase in and watch then be surprised you die. Flipside, are you a lifer? Don't get upset if the mean vamps tell you to gtfo while they're blood hunting. Can't participate in an event because of mechancial stuff? Try to find some other way to help - gather corpses for people to get slices from, offer massages to people tired of hunting, create a support group for vampires who chip a nail or scuff their shoes hunting.

/2 cents

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AarbrokTeaniRasharRiluoRivasIshinPeriluna
  • Agreed 100% with @toz and @Jensen. Sometimes events are going to be exclusive, because sometimes they only apply and only -should- apply to certain sectors. And sometimes we exclude ourselves, via rp or mechanics.

I think you do a neat job with Erzs in finding/making rp reasons not to bash or pk, which you don't enjoy as a player. I don't think anybody is going to have a fit if you don't do one of those, even in an event, unless it's their RP to disregard someone who doesn't participate in violence/combat/whatever.

And, really, that's valid too. As much as I'll be chastised for saying this, I don't think it can be argued that a great majority of the mechanical contributions to whatever org or event or whatever comes from people who PK, or bash, or both. It's just the way it is. Politics or emoting, while maybe fun and a valid part of the game, are only going to affect a very small section of people in any tangible way.

Personally, it gets tiring listening to people on the other side of the game talk about needing more hand-fed admin feel goods - or even worse, acting like they need it to even have a purpose. You get plenty, for one, and you have enough players that you certainly shouldn't be lacking in ideas / momentum to push things.

End early morning jet lagged rambling.
    AarbrokArekaObyn
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    @rashar I like to cry out for admin run events for a couple reasons.
    1) running my own events on top of my 12 hour work day is exhausting. (I know you arent just referring to me though)

2) I get to participate fully

3) they stir up involvement far better than I can

That being said, I do enjoy hosting my own rp events and have been doing so on small scales for a while. I can't really handle more than 2-3 people at a time though, it stresses my limits of writing speed, attention, and immersion. My 4th reason was going to be that I'm not very good at it, but people seem to tell me otherwise.

RPers have this unique position where the built world is their stage, and all they need to do is make a script and act the part. Nobody even has to show up, it can be just them. For PVP -somebody- has to be on the other end.
    Aarbrok
  • Yeah I wasn't really referring to you, buddy. You do quite a bit to stir stuff up on your own. :)

LIKE FINGER STEW.
    AarbrokJensen
    edited April 2015
    There are times, like now, where unfortunately, my RP requires me to bash, as much as I hate it. And the unyielding in this case is for the good of the org I lead, though totally agree that it makes things less fun for me as a player @Areka.

Generally don't need the admin to stir up fun, @Rashar.

Occasionally I use (and greatly appreciate) the assistance they offer in such, but I've used my orgreqs for setting things up so we can do for ourselves without admin assistance, for the most part, rather than for requesting admin-run events. The last house event, I ran five house NPC's and Eliser ran a sixth along with playing our characters and interacting with the other (actual) people who showed up.

Edit: Just realized my post sounded kinda dismissive at the admin, which wasn't my intention at all. They've been super helpful and awesome in regards to helping set us up with the tools we wanted to be able to run stuff on our own. I only meant that we don't require them to run events -for- us all the time and that even sans our shiny toys we're able to stir up our own fun.
    imageimage
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Personally, your post made me happy, because it's a pretty helpful attitude to adopt. Thanks for the just-in-case clarification though. :)
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Question! What does level 20 in mob-terms, translate to as far as player levels go?
    imageimage
  • Erzsebet said:

Question! What does level 20 in mob-terms, translate to as far as player levels go?

Mob levels are usually double what a player's level is, just as a rough estimate. Meaning, a level 7-10 person should be able to handle a level 20 npc. But it also depends on what sorts of extras are placed on the npc (like attack speed, attacks themselves, etc). This is probably not the best explanation, but hope it'll help.
    Was quoted a more in-depth answer in a helpfile I wasn't looking at. But that's an easier-to-understand / less complicated explanation--thanks. ^.^
    imageimage
  • The largest thing that will impact that is what sort of attacks the mob has or any sort of special progs it might have. For example, there are boss-type mobs out there that will emulate a starburst tattoo. There's all sorts of nasty things that can be done with attacks but in general you're not going to find debilitating attacks or special effects on lower-level mobs because lower level characters are less able to deal with a mob that heals or large amounts of blackout.
    edited April 2015
    Was mostly asking because we have a bunch of house (org) mobs, and were considering stuff they do when we're not actively playing with them and tangentially were pondering if they might go hunting and such and eventually get endgame, since you -can- buy tough for a mob, though that seems much less climatic and sans buildup. Just idle ponderings, for the most part. You don't really see ascended mobs, often.

This prob belongs in lore questions, but is that because they -can't- ascend, aren't adventurous enough to have the -desire- to ascend or...something else entirely?
    imageimage
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Erzsebet said:

This prob belongs in lore questions, but is that because they -can't- ascend, aren't adventurous enough to have the -desire- to ascend or...something else entirely?

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. It really depends on the mob in question.

Obyn
  • It's not totally unheard of for NPCs to ascend, though. But those NPCs who have are typically exceptional in some manner.
  • Any word on any promo for the month of May since it's...May now?
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
    Re: Giftbag items

Are the new things usable by someone else? I have two of the omnitrans pills that have Areka's mark on them, but would be ineffectual for her. Was thinking they could be a neat reward for some guild or city person, but that's moot if someone else can't use it.

Secondary question: Will more languages become available AND coinable? I have a bunch of these things that others can't use and no new languages to use them with.
    Riluo
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Areka said:

Secondary question: Will more languages become available AND coinable? I have a bunch of these things that others can't use and no new languages to use them with.

Yes/depends on the language, but mostly yes.

Awesome. I have all of the languages just so I OOCly can see what's going on, but Areka is NOT a linguist and RP wise she only knows the trio of languages , helban, and really really bad Atavian. Having the talent on her doesn't really fit the RP.
  • In what way would it be appropriate, or who should I report it to, to report skills that have cooldowns but aren't showing up in the cooldowns command?
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Please to more language's I have had them all for ages and these tokens just floating about in my store rooms and pack.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

RazmaelAreka
  • Malok said:

In what way would it be appropriate, or who should I report it to, to report skills that have cooldowns but aren't showing up in the cooldowns command?

You can bug it. That's the best way to handle it.
    Malok
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    You can trade in language tokens for ironcoins too.
  • How the hell do you use these fancy new ylem receptacles??? I'm lost and confused on these things.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• @Zsadist I'm guessing you DRAIN RECEPTACLE, it's what AB RESEARCH RECEPTACLES says to do.
  • edited May 2015
    Nvm. Seems I overlooked it.