Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• That sounds like a very personal take on something that wasn't personally personal.

And not at all accurate, either. But I'd leave that to the actual player to confirm or clarify.

Zealot RP in general, simple terms would be: Uncompromising perspective/ideals. Can result in the Blindness affliction.
    IshinAryanneJensenErzsebetHavenJayce
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    edited September 2014
    That sounds like it could lead to St. Francis of Assisi, Gandhi, or Hitler.

Is there more to it? Because a city full of Gandhis and Francis's sounds pretty awesome, but like half this thread is of people complaining about that sort of RP, so it sort of leads me to believe that it's not just uncompromising perspective/ideals, but uncompromising on a specific set of ideals that results in people being violent, loud, and mean.

• edited September 2014
    Nola said:

Infact, I don't even think most of Enorian knows what the Light is supposed to be. They never have, that was the biggest issue they always faced - no clearly defined, unified direction.

Just since coming here and starting this character I can vouch for that. Enorian seems extremely confused right now, which means the people playing in Enorian are confused as well. Most IRE games have always had a fairly good explanation of what each city stands for, and I have never been in an organization in all of IRE that is as lost as Enorian is right now. It really needs someone to step in, an event, something that comes out and gives it purpose and definition other than this vague 'Age of Dawn' that's a great idealistic RP tool, but not really a practical or defining one in the moment. Working toward something that we, as players, know is never going to come kind of deflates the conviction behind it. Working toward something that is tangible, achievable, and potentially changing is something that gives people far more drive.

Let's face it, Aetolia is the Age of Midnight. It is solicited as being the #1 Vampire Game, not the #1 Zealot/Good people Game. Enorian is, frankly, the minority, and as is typical for minorities it isn't well liked. But well liked or not, it should still be more clear-cut and concise to the point that citizens aren't arguing every day over what it is or is not, and what it should or should not be. I doubt Bloodloch has the same identity crisis that Enorian seems to does.

Where the more neutral city is concerned, in Achaea that was Ashtan, and Ashtan here is gone. Achaea has the player base to support an extra city. Aetolia does not. Honestly, no offense to Duiran, but if I had been making a choice I would have kept Ashtan, and nixed Duiran. I get that Duiran is more about the rhythm, but again, Ashtan seemed to fit better in the ideals and overall grand scheme of Aetolia than a forest council in the midst of necromancers, vampires, and soul sucking knights. Plus, then the balance would have been something akin to Bloodloch vs Enorian and Spinesreach vs Ashtan.

The thing is, it has felt to me like most people who are citizens of Enorian don't even seem to have personal goals, cares, or beliefs. It has felt like it is the same group of people who show up for things (I'm not talking about lessers here), who talk, who try to form and encourage goals, and the rest just kind of hang out at the Four Corners? That isn't being said to offend anyone, it's just the way it comes across.

Further, there's a lot of bashing of "zealous" characters going around, and that's not any more fair than people wanting to be more middle-ground good. Naestyria is a very strong-willed, conviction-based character. She can be zealous, outspoken, and bull-headed for the right reasons. She certainly knows what she believes in, where she came from, and where she's going. As a player, I couldn't give a rat's if people don't like that. At least she knows herself. I think at the heart of it, anyone who can rightfully say they don't just play Aetolia as a glorified chatroom because they're bored with it, or upset, or anything else and are actually attempting to RP should get props for trying to add to the environment rather than take away from it.

Honestly? At this point? If Enorian were burned to the ground for being infested with non-believers or something equally drastic (or not) and rebuilt in a very specific image? I'd be perfectly happy. At least then it would cut out the confusion, irritation, and continual debate about what it is or isn't, and people could then make a choice as to whether or not it's the place they want to be.
    IshinArekaBenedictoKillienNolaTrager
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I always viewed his stint as a zealot as someone who fought hard to bring about his own vision of light, and the moral and mental struggle not to waiver or cave to corruption or temptation. Inevitably he caved, but that looked more like a player switch to something he'd enjoy more. Just speculation since I wasn't involved

IshinNaestyriaHavenNola
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I'd have smoked Duiran too. Most useless city ever, especially in a game where there's no real nature-RP. WTS Duiran, WTB Ashtan.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Duiran - retirement home for Aetolians who want to be left alone.
    SerriceAarbrokNaestyriaIshinLimXeniaJayceEmelle
    Meh idk. Duiran was pretty fun and had a point when I lived there. No idea how it is now
    Teani
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Just kidding, I love you Duiran...you are my second favorite place in Aetolia.
    MoireanTrager
  • Actually, the direction of Enorian is player directed, if I recall the divine input on how the direction of a city goes. But Enorian and Shallam have always been in a difficult position. There's been no unified direction for the city on what "light" is since Sahmie's Revelation, which, while a vital document, was intended for the establishment and reformation of the Priests into the Luminaries (the early priests were really messed up, as an organization).

The problem is, that's where it ended. There was no grand discussion on what constitutes Light or Good, beyond some opinions put forth from time to time by mostly the 'moderate' individuals who are citizens.

The other issue is that on a political level, it is pragmatic and practical to project a "holier than thou" image or ideology because, frankly, I noticed it generates a sort of general guilt factor on the electorate who, noticing their personal doubts regarding the Light and its meaning, will vote for someone who at least seems confidant of what it means to be part of the Light. These are the "cookie" cutter zealots I refer to. The ones who try to kick it up a notch and be more extreme in their interpretation of an outdated and narrow set of teachings used to justify a much needed change and refocusing of a seriously messed up guild.

For heaven's sake, the city once had it's own Vampire house and a Vampire Sultan. Those died out, in part due to a refinement of purpose prompted by Sahmie, but it seems like since the booting of the Sentaari from the city, it's really not advanced much in terms of ideology, except in a more and more exclusive perspective of what it means to be a true follower of the Light.

/end rant
  • Granted, I've only read the one newspost to make this snap judgment? Do what @Naestyria is talking about, and Eno will turn out awesome. A 'Beacon of Light' to the lost. Sometimes that means toasting someone who's getting in the way. Sometimes that means living a proper lifestyle, or casting out someone who's not upholding what SHOULD be upheld. The only thing Enorian needs is the leadership to come together and write up what it means to be a good and proper Enorian, and go from there.

I have an idea of what I personally would want Enorian to be, but it's up to more than just me to figure out. That post that @Naestyria‌ made seems like a good start no matter which way you slice it, though.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AarbrokNaestyriaKillienIshin
  • Sarkis said:

For heaven's sake, the city once had it's own Vampire house and a Vampire Sultan. Those died out, in part due to a refinement of purpose prompted by Sahmie, but it seems like since the booting of the Sentaari from the city, it's really not advanced much in terms of ideology, except in a more and more exclusive perspective of what it means to be a true follower of the Light.
    /end rant

I think part of the problem with the Light comes back to the lack of it being at all concrete. Bloodloch will not tolerate anyone, with very very very few minor exceptions, anyone who is not Undead. And even if you do get the chance to join as a living Azudim, you're probably seen as little more than a slave who deserves to be treated as a second-class citizen. Why does this work, in part? Because Undeath is a mechanical, tangible aspect of Aetolia. The Light is all pixie-dust and fairy wings, unfortunately, neither of which are driven mechanically or tangibly.

I'll echo what a few others have said: Enorian needs a clear-cut direction and then, hopefully, needs to run with that direction. If it is the Inquisition-style city of Light that seeks to purge all unbelievers? Cool, that could actually be kind of cool, as a whole, in a game devoted to the darker-roleplay, for it would be the "Success through whatever means necessary." If it is a moderate, help-thy-neighbor sense, cool also. Let's just get something rolling in a single direction, versus all of them.
    AshmerNaestyriaAreka
  • I'm surprised to say I agree more or less with what you're saying; Something must be done. Enorian has a rich and weird history behind it, but it's hardly touched upon in most RP, because it's hard to put down the whole of it in a way that is digestible for say, a new player, and it's tough to swallow for older players because to capture the fascinating nuances of it s history means a long, somewhat steep literary work to convey it consistently.

Bloodloch has the advantage of being pretty much "Rargh smash Enorian and tree-thing-people" and Spinesreach has the advantage of being the inheritors of the corrupted Ankyrean legacy. Duiran has its trees and nature and RRRGH HUNTER perspective (which the Sentaari are only just coming to terms with).

Enorian has a byzantine history of politics, backstabbing, soul-searching, and this belief it could be something better, but utterly unsure how. Basically, it's like France after its empire more or less had collapsed, but before World War I. And its only ally is Borneo. And Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empires are leering at it in a most unsettling way.
    AshmerKrazRivas
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I've written this in a few other threads, but I'll reiterate my opinions briefly here:

I think Enorian would benefit more from just focusing on doing stuff people enjoy, versus searching so hard to define a theme first. From an outsider's perspective, it seems like this heavy push to fit into a theme/follow a goal is what has backed the city into a corner and driven off a lot of members.
    IshinLimAshmerTragerTrigruKraz
  • Sometimes @moirean says things, and I think she might be a genius.
    IshinBufordSarkisAarbrokTragerTrigruTeaniKraz
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Moirean said:

I've written this in a few other threads, but I'll reiterate my opinions briefly here:

I think Enorian would benefit more from just focusing on doing stuff people enjoy, versus searching so hard to define a theme first. From an outsider's perspective, it seems like this heavy push to fit into a theme/follow a goal is what has backed the city into a corner and driven off a lot of members.

Huh. I really like that.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Trager
  • Grecht Dragoons = invincible.

There's a bug with them were they cycle states instead of dying and yes, I've bugged it IG. Soon my pretty.... Revenge will come sooooooooooon

Politics
  • Hospital wifi/firewalls leaving me unable to log in on any client but my phone, and I -hate- phonetolia. :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

IshinAryanneNaestyria
  • @rivas You could RP with me, and then we'd finally be emoting at the same speed >.>

Trager
  • It's funny because it's true.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

Aryanne
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Brute Retribution = *SHRIEK*
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

IshinRiluo
    Pulled Troll Sandwich: Troll from Hashan
    Grook Legs in Garlic Butter: Grook from Ulangi
    a plate of Steamed Horkval with Clams: Horkval from Ulangi

ALL MY INGREDIENTS ARE GOING EXTINCT!!!
    AryanneAshmerSerriceIshinMoirean
    Uh, should I stop writing up this recipe for smoked @Jensen chowder, then? I'm only missing one ingredient.

Smoking dry husks?
    Yeah, it's a texture thing.

Teani
    Design #126 Months Left: Perm
    Identity: Plate
    References: plate, dish, platter
    Components:
    Tool: Heatsource: Nourishment: 45
    Additional Ingredients: 1 head 1 silver
    Allowed: NONE
    Denied: NONE
    Autopay: NO
    Tag(s): plate.
    Appearance:
    a roasted severed head on a plate
    Dropped:
    Locked in a painful grimace, a charred severed head sits on a silver platter.
    Examined:
    Mouth frozen in a grimace of pain, this charred decapitated head stares at you with fire blackened
    sockets. The skin varies from brown and crispy to flakey black splotches. Most of the hair has been
    burned away, yet a few singed tufts remain. The head is mounted proudly upon an eloquent silver
    platter.
    Smell:
    The pungent stench of burnt hair melds with the savory aroma of sizzling fat and roasted meat.
    Eaten 1p:
    Pulling chunks of charred meat from bone, you dig in to this roasted head starting with the cheeks,
    until all that remains are a mutilated skull and scraps for the crows.
    Eaten 3p:
    $(name$) tears strips of roasted flesh away from the charred severed head, leaving little behind
    save for hair, bone, and scraps for the crows.
    Taste:
    The rich flavor of fatty roasted meat blends together with wood smoke, though some pieces have the
    acrid taste of singed hair, while others are thoroughly burnt.
    Comments from the Trade Guild:
    NONE
    Comments from the Creator:
    NONE

My recipe for cooking anyone
    Ashmer
    (Market): You say, "We are hiring a personal chef."

nudge nudge

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Well, there goes my appetite.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Unrealistic goals. Gonna be bashing for the rest of my life now. Want first...
    TragerNaestyria
  • @Arbre : Get in line

Politics
    Erzsebet
This discussion has been closed.