Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• Zsadist said:

I rage that no matter how hard I fucking try or what I look up in the mudlet wiki..... I cannot, for the life of me, get my damn aliases/triggers/scripts (WHATEVER) to fucking get my combat AI to work -.-.... And its pissing me off! I want to just scrap the entire damn thing and stay manual! -.-

I told you many times how to do it dude.. its easy for TW ...
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • Nalor said:

Zsadist said:

I rage that no matter how hard I fucking try or what I look up in the mudlet wiki..... I cannot, for the life of me, get my damn aliases/triggers/scripts (WHATEVER) to fucking get my combat AI to work -.-.... And its pissing me off! I want to just scrap the entire damn thing and stay manual! -.-

I told you many times how to do it dude.. its easy for TW ...
    I have done it the way you tried telling me. For some reason, the AI function doesn't want to work. -.- which is fine. I figured out a work around -.-
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Apparently gods can possess players and force them to do things like QUIT CITY. This really unnerves me to hear about happening.
    TragerRasharArenKrazSarkisNola
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    edited September 2014
    Moirean said:

Apparently gods can possess players and force them to do things like QUIT CITY. This really unnerves me to hear about happening.

Trust me, it's something we're discussing right now. All I can do is ask for patience.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    ArenSolaria
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I know this has been brought up a bunch before, but sometimes I really wish there was a middle-road, good-aligned city because when it comes to options for a good-aligned character, there's the hardcore zealotry for the Light city and then a nature-oriented tribal city. Despite people saying that both orgs SHOULD be able to accommodate most types, in practice...that's kind of not the case. Anyone that doesn't fit into either mold ends up going to Spinesreach since being in a city has huge perks, and being rogue is bleh.
    AniseErzsebetJayce
  • The difficulty that has been inherent with good-aligned cities is the same that every game has faced: You tend to either be for "Good" or against it. If you allow there to be various shades of "Good" within a small population, you then water down the population of the good-aligned side of the game, creating various shades of what exactly "Good" wishes to accomplish. Even though Spinesreach and Bloodloch don't always agree (sometimes vehemently so), they tend to agree that the concepts of Light and Dawn are false. Enorian can't really argue that Shadow and Undeath are false, as both have proven concrete (Shadow Mother/Severn and well, Undeath).

I get there are divergent ideals behind just how far Enorian should take the zealot-stance. Some want a city more dedicated toward Freedom with the trappings therein, while others want a hard-line against all things that are not Light, Life, and Dawn. Since your choices at the moment are either Beacon of Light and the Council of Nature if you want to be living, makes it a really difficult place to create a Neutral-Good, or Chaotic-Good character that is not Nature-Aligned.

What I would like to see is for Enorian to pick an ideal and stick with it. If it is going to be White to Bloodloch's Black, chase it hardcore. If it is going to be more laid-back, chase that. I really think, though, there is something that could be had with being a hard-liner. Is it easy? Nope. Does it fit everyone? Nope. But neither does Bloodloch, and I think Enorian has, and can, serve well as the opposite to Bloodloch.
    Naestyria
  • The problem is the number of people that really want to -play- hard-line is not that high. And if they do, they could join the Daru, or Dhar's Order, or whatever they want.

Zealotry is so -flimsy- in this game. Who among them even -does- anything concrete, ICly, to push it? And yes, I get it. PK isn't the only option. But.. when you're arguing against people on the basis that they stand by and let evil happen, you should be pretty damned sure your character is out and about trying to stop it yourself. By that argument, you're just as 'evil by association', if all you're doing is sitting in Enorian talking about how bad the bad guys are.

My point here isn't to bash the Daru at all, because I think they've got an awesome thing going for them, and a GM who actually knows how to make things fun. My point is, that option for hard-line exists, and it should not be at the bottom of a funnel that -all- players who want to have a 'good' character have to fall into.

The RP scenarios here are so canned and black and white sometimes that it gets frustrating. What sense in taking it seriously and playing a character that doesn't fit an archetype or someone else's idea of what the 'right' answer is, when realistically you're going to be pushed and shoved and forced into decisions and restrictions that are mechanical, 'game based' stuff that we, arguably, can't get rid of for one reason or another, one abuse potential or another?

All in all, it leads to just not giving a shit and a mentality that I've traditionally hated, where I'm sitting in my haven or my house RPing serious stuff with a few people who are willing to actually play it, and then just don't give a shit about taking the rest of the game seriously. Why not raid Enorian for shits and giggles? Why not try and hang @damariel? I'm a bad guy anyway, right? Meh.

This isn't an attitude I am proud of, and I'm trying to fix it. I'm trying very hard to take the game as a whole seriously again, for what it's worth. Just.. had a bit of a rough time there. I'll probably get bashed for even speaking of it, but eh. Bash away.
    Ishin
  • Quite honestly? I would -love- for the 'bad guys' to keep doing bad guys stuff. The recent stuff with Gruxmal and the stirrings in the Abyss? Awesome. The Carnifex doing what the Carnifex do? PLEASE MOAR. The -hardest- part of playing a zealot is, as stated, that the mechanics that you can be proactive about and respond toward are hardcoded and concrete. No matter how hard Enorian fights, vampires and undead and soul-stealers and mob-impale will continue to exist.

That -said-, Enorian, I think, could do well with giving more for the evil side to respond to, as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels very much like scenarios go down like this: Something 'evil' happens. Enorian reacts. Enorian gets laughed at. Enorian goes home. Evil gets to play all day in the rain. Enorian shrugs and considers they tried already and need wait until something else 'evil' happens.

I agree that zealot can be both boring and downright impossible to pull off well. I get that it isn't fun to be pushed into a specific role and feeling scorned if that role isn't accepted. But, on the flip side of things, going against societal norms always has a backlash, and even though Enorian does it very very very very badly, many still see Enorian as "rawr light". If that ideal is going to change for either better or worse, it is either going to take some very subtle shifting over a long time, or a sudden, drastic administration-driven change.

Personally? Killien is trying to get Enorian to uphold their ideals more. He wants Enorian to go full-force forward toward the ideal of Dawn. Do I expect it to do that? Not any time soon, but I can always hope the city, as a whole, forms a focused, communal ideal for the Beacon.

Ashmer
  • Killien said:

That -said-, Enorian, I think, could do well with giving more for the evil side to respond to, as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels very much like scenarios go down like this: Something 'evil' happens. Enorian reacts. Enorian gets laughed at. Enorian goes home. Evil gets to play all day in the rain. Enorian shrugs and considers they tried already and need wait until something else 'evil' happens.

I wish evil got to play all day in the rain. Instead, I sit and look at the screen and yawn... A lot.

From my perspective, it would seem that Enorian is too busy running people off to allow for much good/bad interaction. Last week we had the Ciem event, and nobody from the the Lifer side even bothered to show up.

Let's see... Who from the Lifer side do I ever see doing anything that allows for interaction with our side, be it Pk or RP? @Aishia‌, @Valingar‌, for Lessers. @Renarin‌ sometimes. @Raeche‌ is always up for trying to get some sort of PK going. @Zezi cracks me up with (her?) RP. Not a very long list. Maybe there is some stuff going on that completely escapes my radar, but from what I see there is not much going on. Not saying that it is all you guys fault. Sadly, we tend to stand around waiting for something to happen as well.

That's why I love to Raid. Only way I know to guarantee interaction and conflict.
    Ishin
  • Yarel said:

From my perspective, it would seem that Enorian is too busy running people off to allow for much good/bad interaction.

This is the problem with bigotry-based RP in general. Don't be silly, people. RP a bigot, but in a way that increase interaction, not reduces it. That's brings more fun. This applies to both sides.
  • edited September 2014
    I hate when I say something in the game and someone thinks it's a personal attack against them because I reference something they said for clarification. Upon asking said person not to speak to me they then take it to a Semi-OOC Semi-IC tell with something at the end saying, "Learn to Roleplay." That's an instant ignore from me, thank you very much for your business and have a fantastic day!

Edit: I shouldn't be forced to have constant arguments and endless distaste and dislike for someone on my own side. I know you can't get along with everyone but c'mon people. Quit attacking your own damn citizens both ICly and OOCly.

"I've got a dose of Spiritual Healing right here for you!"
    AshmerJoulAren
  • Yarel said:

Killien said:

I wish evil got to play all day in the rain. Instead, I sit and look at the screen and yawn... A lot.

From my perspective, it would seem that Enorian is too busy running people off to allow for much good/bad interaction. Last week we had the Ciem event, and nobody from the the Lifer side even bothered to show up.
    A few of us did attempt to stir interest after we were immediately squashed the moment Yaotl shouted, but alas, no interest was garnered as it was simply seen a normal raid.

As far as rp goes, I won't argue there. Not a whole lot of interaction, of late, between the lifers and the not-so-lifers. Will have to get out there when my schedule settles down. I'll gladly take ownership of not putting Killien outside Enorian more.
    Naestyria
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    One-sided conflict is ego stroking and boring, which is what 80% of raids/lessers are anyways.

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It's kinda funny to read this stuff, because I thought the reason the zealot role gained such traction was because it gave lifers a way to be more antagonistic (in a good way) and proactive about being a lighter, instead of just being a reactionary good guy.
    JayceAryanneSarkisNaestyriaIshin
  • Serrice said:

One-sided conflict is ego stroking and boring, which is what 80% of raids/lessers are anyways.

The game could do with a lot more sportsmanship. Don't know what ever happened to respect for your opponent, but I've seen this missing from people on both sides.
    TragerTeaniSarkisIshin
  • Moirean said:

It's kinda funny to read this stuff, because I thought the reason the zealot role gained such traction was because it gave lifers a way to be more antagonistic (in a good way) and proactive about being a lighter, instead of just being a reactionary good guy.

I agree! It -should- give more traction for being antagonistic and -should- allow for a more proactive stance. Theory and practice, especially when applied large scale, do not always match.
  • There are no opponents. Opponents implies equals.

The other side is just -theeeem-. Ew. Cooties.
    Ishin
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited September 2014
    I was a citizen of Enorian like maybe... five years ago or so? Anyway, back then, there really wasn't the whole zealot vibe. Enorian was the city of Light/Good and no one even talked about Shadow or Spirit back then. It was a nice place to be in, mostly because I liked most of the other paladins/citizens. I can't really comment on the current situation, but I'm fairly convinced that it's possible to foster an enjoyable atmosphere while being the good guys.
    TeaniAshmerNolaIshin
  • I just want Enorian to choose a path and work with it to create a thriving culture. Zealot or no zealot, Relaxed Good that embodies the traditional ideal of Light, whichever, just get a majority behind a path and create something awesome.

My rage? Being a night owl who works at 6am, but I can't change my shift due to the work I do at my company. Soon though, VERY SOOON.
  • My Enorian zealot is probably more evil than my most evil vampire.

It's all about the end goal, blazing the way for the Age of Dawn. Everyone who does not actively walk that path is deserving of cleansing death by fire. And anyone innocent who gets in the way of the cleansing flames is a casualty of war.

It's a lot of fun to play, but the problem with it is that I'm not a PK person. I don't -like- PK, even on the characters I'm capable of it on. There's not really other options one can -do- to be proactive about it, beyond like...setting undead NPC places on fire and such, which does nothing mechanically and usually ends up killing a novice which isn't my goal as a player. There's not much I can do with the opposite side beyond snarl at them and threaten to catch them on fire when encountered. She does believe in redemption, but not enough so to -try- for it without unasked for indication of repentance.

My rage is that this inflexibility, while true to the character, doesn't really give me any recourse to really have any meaningful RP with anyone on the opposing side of the world. Or, really, anyone outside that specific zealot mindset.
    imageimage
    NolaNaestyria
  • I have zero appreciation for cookie-cutter zealotry. It is demeaning to the player base when it is used as a broadly acceptable way to govern a city or interfere in the player-established laws and processes of said government. Furthermore it just drives good people away from RPing with others in the city because they're worried they'll be next on the ridiculous little witch-hunt.
    PhoeneciaKerrynJayceIshinTragerRivas
  • To completely derail the zealotry train of thought.

I am a bit irritated that to be even a mid-tier fighter with Prae, I have to go high str and two hander, and if I want o make sure I actually win, I have to get a small fortune of artifacts to min-max it so I can actually accomplish my goal.
    IshinTrager
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Going to chime in here and say that's largely why I don't enjoy interacting with most characters from Enorian, or go out of my way to avoid it. Most characters that subscribe to zealotry frequently come off as ridiculously one-note because it's either all they talk about or a large portion of what they talk about, and when you play a middle-of-the-road type of character, it always feels like you're constantly being lectured, and it feels like...I dunno. Like a really flat, Saturday morning cartoon where the bad guys are painted as the bad guys because, well, they're the bad guys, so they must all be evil. And if you don't see things in a purely black and white perspective? It hurts you and gets you ostracized, so you're forced to put up and shut up.
    Jayce
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I've never been a citizen of Enorian, Shallam, but no Eno, so take this with a grain of salt. Why do you guys not do more crusades to areas or missionary work. From what I've seen, admins will every so often throw you a bone if you've done the leg work. Not "I want therefore do" but just keep launching them on a city wide participation basis. It'd bare minimum be a nice small to mid scale RP event without admin help
    AshmerIshin
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    I think mostly the issue is a social and cultural standpoint rather than an overarching RP one. There's no reason that you can't have variations and different characters and play styles that range from different ideals of good. I know @Damariel has done a fantastic job of leaving a lot of the Tenets and stuff up to interpretation and individual application, beyond the hard-and-fast rules. I don't see why you can't have the zealot in the city who lives next door to the more pragmatic, down-to-earth kind of Good and Light-focused type. I know my light-sider has evolved from very relaxed and skeptical-of-the-ra-ra-zealotry type to something kind of in between, where there's firmly-held beliefs beneath a kind of laid-back pragmatic "this is just what's right because it makes sense" kind of thing.

I think unifying behind the Dawn thing makes sense, and it's different from Shadow or Undeath because they just want to exist, and do exist. Enorian exists to fulfill the end of all that, which may or may not happen.

I also think a lot of this is just natural and healthy growing pains for the direction the game has taken, and players (read: not characters, necessarily) should stop being such unicorns to each other over stuff. It's a game, pls2be having fun and having other people around you have fun.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

JayceArekaIshinHavenCiarelle
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Kraz said:

To completely derail the zealotry train of thought.

I am a bit irritated that to be even a mid-tier fighter with Prae, I have to go high str and two hander, and if I want o make sure I actually win, I have to get a small fortune of artifacts to min-max it so I can actually accomplish my goal.

Also, yes. There are some fun niche tactics you can do as Prae that are borderline trolly and kind of awesome if someone's curing isn't set up for it. @Ezalor knows, but you can also just pop me a message in game and I can tell you a few more aff routes you can try in addition to the Mack Truck Damage baseline for Prae. Poor class is pretty broken right now, though.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

KrazIshin
  • edited September 2014
    This is all really bothering me, on several levels. I'll guess I'll try and explain, since I've played Nola as a zealot from the point her creation, several years back.

I love zealot rp. Love it. But specifically, I love -Daru- zealot rp. I see the way the majority of Enorian has taken 'zealotry' and made it into a really harmful tool to throw at people they don't like, scaring and running people off - which is why Enorian was better served as being a strongly GOOD organization, where those inbetween people could fit in. Where they did have a role. Where there used to be diversity. Now, not to say that my -character- along with all other Daru leaders that have been involved in Enorian's politics over the years didn't believe in Enorian being stronger for the Light/Dawn, but that was my rp. That was being true to my character, and trust me, the Daru's ideas of zealotry/the Light/what that means are very different from the ones Enorian is now brandishing.

Infact, I don't even think most of Enorian knows what the Light is supposed to be. They never have, that was the biggest issue they always faced - no clearly defined, unified direction.

But now I've seen my own zealot punished by zealots, for remaining true to her person.

It's confusing. It's not really an enjoyable atmosphere, even for a Daru. When it's that kind of 'zealotry', I don't really agree with it.

That aside, I miss Enorian's good-aligned nature, because it allowed my guild to be defined as 'zealots', which they've always been, within the city and outside it. Now, it's so.. everywhere and it's become a big melting pot, that reading stuff like this makes me bristle, even knowing what everyone is talking about, because the Daru held that role for the longest time. They still do, it's just, not the same kind of zealotry, I suppose.

The proactive nature of a zealot is extremely difficult to actually push. I think everyone, if they consider our positions, can come to the same conclusion about why that is.
    Edit: That's not to say I'm not working on my own ideas to create solutions to this problem, it's just all work in progress right now. Whether even that will be successful is another question entirely.
    JayceIshinSarkisAshmerTragerErzsebet
    What does zealot RP even mean? O.o

Ciarelle
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I would say Havens uncompromising light RP would be a good point reference for zealot RP
    IshinErzsebet
    edited September 2014
    I'm going to need more of an explanation.

From my understanding, Haven's 'uncompromising light' was actually a thin veneer to channel his sociopathic tendencies in a direction that was marginally acceptable, and that he never actually believed in it at all, using it instead to dupe Enorian before his inevitable switch back to the dark side.

Which doesn't sound like what people are trying to convey at all.

HavenMoireanRivas
This discussion has been closed.