Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• @Oonagh

I partially predicted some humor coming from your direction.

You did not disappoint.

Maybe those stags are all "stag" for a reason.
  • Dont Google gay stag party for humorous gifs....

Especially at work.

That is all.
    StigandrSaidennZeheiaTsarra
  • I know there's a mechanical barrier preventing this, and it's why Divines remove a blessing and then bless people once more with the desired amount. But:

MjollLinValeriaCzcienn
  • shameless idea advertisement, because I don't use common OOC mediums besides here:

ArchelausSibattiLinGalileiRhine
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Can we get some sort of rough geography map of the game with key places like the cities/townes in them??

Something?? I am a visual person and I would -love- to have some sort of map to look at that way I can figure out areas and their location in direction of what I'm at.

ArchelausMaira
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited December 2020
    Rhyot said:

Can we get some sort of rough geography map of the game with key places like the cities/townes in them??

Something?? I am a visual person and I would -love- to have some sort of map to look at that way I can figure out areas and their location in direction of what I'm at.

I took a crack at it a while back:

But I believe @Teani's map is the official one:

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    AlmolLinBorminchiaArchelausMoxieDrystin
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    We gotta get that thing an update, this is Grecht erasure
    Haven
  • Someone get Nisavi in here, SCREEEEE (grecht for STAT) 

Nisavi
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Lin I can update the map when I have time. Just let me know what is missing!

ZeheiaIllikaal
  • Almol said:

Someone get Nisavi in here, SCREEEEE (grecht for STAT) 

Ahem...

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
  • I just feel it takes from RP immersion everytime someone has to stand up to pass the booze or whatever. Though you could just emote sitting I guess, but that negates making furniture interactable. 

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    This is so tiny and silly but I'd love if the SAY command and it's variants could randomly decide between two different formats, just to break up the monotony.

> say (smugly) get good
    You say, smugly, "Get good."

> say (smugly) get good
    "Get good," you say, smugly.
    SibattiMjollDidiAyastiaRijetta
  • AxiusAxius where I am

Can we PLEASE get a method to fill seed boxes from seed sacks?! like, FILL BOX FROM or -something-?
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    I guess this doesn't really warrant a full thread, but the Aetolia API undermines/inhibits several forms of RP and can be a particular hindrance for guilds such as the Syssin. At the very least it feels like having a player's guild taken out of the API listing would be good for belaying metagaming, but it's surprising to me that someone's city is in there as well.

LinEdhainAlela
  • Speaking of inhibiting RP...

I haven't felt the urge to log in again after realizing that there is a random artifact that apparently everyone and their uncle has -- that allows them to read other people's thoughts.

It might be nice to have some kind of inner-think command so I'm not spamming everyone in the room with my character's interior development. Or failing that, some kind of other-artifact (a tin foil hat!) or skill that allows somebody to "think quietly" in a way that can be defended through game mechanics.
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    just don't use the think command

EdhainDrystin
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    Edhain said:

Speaking of inhibiting RP...

I haven't felt the urge to log in again after realizing that there is a random artifact that apparently everyone and their uncle has -- that allows them to read other people's thoughts.

It might be nice to have some kind of inner-think command so I'm not spamming everyone in the room with my character's interior development. Or failing that, some kind of other-artifact (a tin foil hat!) or skill that allows somebody to "think quietly" in a way that can be defended through game mechanics.

I hope you give it a chance actually! Think has been such a great roleplay tool, even if it feels like everyone can now read edhain's thoughts - it opens up a lot of potential development in itself ( suddenly, some people in Aetolia have vastly improved in telepathic ability... How does your character respond?)

Also, you may have just been incredibly unlucky in that ( if you're referring to the rp scene I think you are) you just happened to be chilling with two characters where reading/delving into the minds of others is a big part of their schtick.

StineTetchtaBenedictoLinDrystinTeani
  • I have a mind somewhere hahaha
    LinTetchtaAlmolEdhainTeaniTsarraZeheiaAlela
  • That was my first reaction to the situation you mentioned in specific, as Stine knows. I actually have no idea how that happened (since I've been out of the game for a while and unaware of a lot of abilities) and wasn't annoyed by it. That felt like an organic story obstacle to roleplay about.

But later I found out in another rp scene that there is an artifact without any possible defense against it to be learned or developed. Somebody having an artifact has never, even when I played before, struck me as a believable indication of either legitimate-special-ability-gained-through-background-and-story or actual-trained-skill. It's just one of the ways that the game is designed to create income, an element of unfairness that echoes unfairness in the real world.

Since the only response to that is to "just stop" explicitly roleplaying my character's thoughts, it's kind of a downer. Maybe I'll get the energy to creatively wrestle with my suspension of disbelief and figure some other response out that will accomodate the way I'd like to play a roleplaying game, but until then it really just feels as if Aetolia is not manufactured in a way that is conducive to my current gaming mentality, and I don't possess the levels of emotional investment to bypass that discomfort as easily as others might.

Honestly my levels are investment are just the happy thoughts of playing with people I have enjoyed playing with in the past. There are other games existing that suit my mentality more, it's just that unfortunately they do not have awesome Sibattis in them.

I'm not necessarily trying to whine that "if you don't take my suggestions and fix this I'm leaving waaahh", because I probably will log in again after all and get over it. I'm just leaving a suggestion to fix an annoyance that may also be an annoyance to others, while remaining true to the let's-cause-massive-bloat design model that Aetolia uses. I mean somehow while I was gone you all found a way to generate like fifty different extra kinds of semi-OOC currency. Kudos. What the hell are keystones tho. :)

TLDR; plz add a 50,000 credit tin foil hat artifact that I will never buy and just pretend to have by never using the think command, which seems to be the typical yet ultimately disingenuous response to this rp-conundrum.
    StineLin
    l get it, but this might be one of those things where the game world you’re in is, simply, "that way." You don't have to use the think command, so engaging with the feature is entirely opt-in. It would be pretty unlikely that a counter would be added to the game for something you are, ultimately, electing to do on your own. If you really needed that experience, I suppose you could add something to your system that just displays the message back to you without sending an actual command to the game.

However, consider this: The rp of my character does not start and end with the commands I type into a prompt! There’s a constant stream of notions, abstract ideas, feelings, moods, prejudices, etc. behind the-scenes that don't warrant or deserve explicit recognition or acknowledgement of their validity via the game's mechanics.

In other words, the magic formula that makes your character who he is doesn't have to exist anywhere but your own mind. And if you still find it difficult to wrap your head around it all, do what I do and treat it like there's multiple layers of thoughts and thinking out there. Surface thoughts that float near the surface, or are maybe "louder" or less controlled, and ones that are more closely-guarded or even secret.
    BulrokBenedictoEdhainStineLinAxiusDrystin
  • Fair enough.
  • edited January 2021
    I have insight but I don't RP Savas having telepathic abilities. "Hey guys I found these cool goggles on the road and they give me telepathy." Even explaining it away some other way, like implying he has telepathy from another source just seems too out there for me.

So feel free to thinktalk as much smack about him as you want I guess. I rarely use think myself. I think it's hard to RP genuine thoughts.

I do unironically think there should be a way to conceal one's thoughts. It's purely an RP tool. Let people have deeper thoughts that others can't read if they want.
    Edhain
  • You could "setalias think echo You think: ^". No one will ever see your thinks again.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
  • I don't mind someone who has made the effort seeing my character's thinks. It's just jolting to find that they're apparently all over almost everyone's screens and there is no defense for that or manner of 'inner thoughts'. I'm starting to get used to the mindset Sibatti indicated about surface/uncontrolled thoughts. For the others, I could code an echo, sure. Not like it matters.
    Seurimas
  • I use thoughts in different ways, but Sibatti's way of using it is more or less it. They depict surface thoughts that rise from the barrier Elene has in her mind, ones that are let slip unknowingly, or waking nightmares/fears that occasionally drift past her mind.

On others, I tend not to react too much or too obviously to thoughts that Elene has read, or if I do, I tend to insert it in subtly so it's up to them to realise if Elene read their mind or not. I find this often plays out quite well!
    BulrokSibattiLinRhine
  • I personally use Insight just as a way to help set the scene properly in my head. Reading body language and seeing body language are two entirely different things for me, and most of the times peoples use of the think command helps make it a little clearer to me.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    SibattiTeaniLinHaven
    edited January 2021
    +1 to both Elene and Bulrok. I prefer NOT reacting to another character's thoughts most of the time, or else being subtle with it. On some level, my character knows that some thinks possibly weren't said for a reason. A thought could also be a fleeting impulse - things we all have - that was discarded/not acted on.

Thinks also help immensely with getting the mood of the scene right, also! This is especially helpful with people I don't RP with often. It takes awhile to know a character, and picking up little mannerisms and quirks take time. E.g. That subtle difference between Sibatti looking at you because she wants to eat your face, or because she wants to eat your face.
  • ZeheiaZeheia Immortal
    I react to most of the thoughts if I'm visible in the room... bwahahaha.

Having said that, non-divine people are generally pretty good at not being obnoxious about reacting to other non-divine people's thoughts for the most part. That people are interacting with yours is likely just a sign that they found them interesting enough to.
    She/her but also responds to they/them thanks to chilling as Somebody or other.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

Act as you would wish to be treated.

"It costs you nothing to assume that we are acting in good faith."
    BenedictoRhineRhyot
  • Can TATTOOS MEMORISE and TATTOOS REMEMBER be tied to classes? Some classes have their own shielding ability while some require a shield tattoo, same with hammer/shield strip, or tentacle/built in tentacle, etc. Micromanaging tattoo slots between classes is unfun and needlessly stressful.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."