Exterminations

Comments

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Pathfinder like whoah.
    Xavin
  • I'm sure if it was people they thought they could kill they would stand and fight, but by all accounts they're using the half a dozen indorani escape skills and/or artifact escape abilities to get away at or close to first contact.

With the coming liaison round I'm seriously considering putting in a change to exterminate or rejuvenate, or maybe for a new skill in naturalism/woodlore that protects a whole area for a year or something. Or causes some huge effect if an extermination is done in an area.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited June 2014
    idk it's not really a problem unless people make it a problem. It sort of sucks that mechanics in general can be ok unless someone chooses to abuse them. I'd rather an interesting thing exist but have some potential for abuse (But u kno, not b abuszed) Than not have that thing. If anything maybe it's just more that they need to be modernized~ with or without limits or more general purpose and (re!?)conceptions.
    Ashmer
  • It does need to be modernized. And the thing is if something is abusable, people will abuse it. It's unfortunate, but it's why we can't have nice things.

• Toz said:

(How about let's delete exterm because it's a silly skill)

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Xavin
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Haven said:

I'd like it better if environment skills were removed from guilds altogether and made into city skills that became available to anyone above a certain rank (like CR2 or CR3). Then we could alter the skills to fit the city's general theme.
    • Enorian could be altered to something akin to Holy Fire or Divine Radiance (I'd be fine with just regular fire like we have now).
    • Spinesreach could be changed from Necromancy/Death(Exterminate) to something like Frost or Magic/Chaos Rifts that spread wider and wider. (Tribute to the original Magi home and the Cabal's world destroying experiments for science?).
    • Duiran could have an overgrowth skill or something. (Changes environment into a man-eating jungle with poisoned spiked plants or something. Or maybe a Locust Swarm of some kind of Dendara Spirits.)
    • Bloodloch could be altered into some kind of withering Corruption that spreads (or would remain with Exterminate but upgraded to a slow spreadable curse).
    Each of these abilities should be spreadable in my opinion and have a counter in recovery while having a material requirement in execution like Firebomb and Exterminate currently do with elemental ash and elemental ice. (...I always wondered why that was from an IC standpoint. Maybe elemental ice are frozen tears from Lleis or maybe the elemental ashes were from Rahn?! It'd be a nice lore piece I think. Anyway, I'm getting off track!)

¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    AarbrokAngwe
  • I don't mind rejuvenating.....

Politics
    Mephistoles
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Yep. I have to say again, the only people who are doing it are people who seem to have absolutely no interest in pk.
    XavinDaskalos
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited July 2014
    First sign of trouble and they just run back into a city to hide until no one is paying attention.
    edit: Or log off!
    Xavin
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    How about Exterminating give you an aura like defiling does...
    (As much as I personally think exterms are derp)
    Make them stink like smoke or something.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    edited July 2014
    Nearing the edge of the desert.
    The bright sun shines down, blanketing you with its life-giving warmth.
    The surroundings are utterly choked in flourishing jungle plantlife, glistening vines forming a thorny curtain that obscures the great flowering trees high above. The air is nearly steamy with humidity, and exotic herbal scents entice the nose. Weatherworn sandstone rises from the ground in a broken ring. Whirling swiftly, a funnel of sand drifts harmlessly about. Warm, lush jungle overgrowth has devoured the area.
    You see exits leading southeast, southwest, and northwest.
    This. This is all I wanted. This makes me so-so-so happy!
    MoireanAarbrokStathan
  • Interesting that certain people are getting riled up over us gaining this ability when, really, it doesn't help us all -that- much. That said +1 best ability.

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure where this riled up stuff is coming from. Just a way for Bloodloch to start bounty stacking for endless PK on people too that otherwise doesn't affect much (maybe Ivoln/Teradrim get riled up about jungles). Our first 20+ stack bounty!

(We still won't be stacking on Enorianites though)
    Riluo
  • You guys are just being so silly.
    OmeiXavin
  • edited July 2014
    Ezalor said:

I'm not sure where this riled up stuff is coming from. Just a way for Bloodloch to start bounty stacking for endless PK on people too that otherwise doesn't affect much (maybe Ivoln/Teradrim get riled up about jungles). Our first 20+ stack bounty!

(We still won't be stacking on Enorianites though)

Wow, that's exactly what I expected. Consider Duiran woudn't have been given these staves if one of Bloodloch's guilds had maybe shown a little bit of restraint rather than griefing another org for, what an entire week?

You guys don't bother to police your own, be it in or out of character. So the admin decided that Duiran should be given a leg up. Of course you jump straight to 'well, we'll just stack bounties' when it was your people who created this situation in the first place.

DaskalosStathan
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I feel so left out, up north. Can Spireans get staves to unleash balls'n'booze on a room?
    RiluoSetneAarbrokIshinPiper
  • Rashar said:

You guys are just being so silly.

Silly isn't the word I would use.

• AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    Moirean said:

I feel so left out, up north. Can Spireans get staves to unleash balls'n'booze on a room?

You have one. It's called @Moirean.

OmeiSolariaAarbrokIshinPiper
    edited July 2014
    Bloodloch stayed very much out of it, with the unguilded Necromancers not exterminating or helping with PK. We're simply retaliating in the exact same way against a similar mechanic used against us. You brought Bloodloch into it and, while we aren't going to go mass exterminate as a city or anything, we're just going by the same policy you use.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Everyone knows my rod is rubbish.
  • Ezalor said:

Bloodloch stayed very much out of it, with the unguilded Necromancers not exterminating or helping with PK. We're simply retaliating in the exact same way against a similar mechanic used against us.

My face when you compare a spree of exterminating more than 100 rooms over the course of a single week because some people want to fill some freaking essence caps a little faster to a purely roleplay mechanic that lasts all of sixty freaking minutes. Could you overreact more?

• Exterm is still stupid.

Neoexterm is stupid unless Duiran also gets access to leafwind and bushcage.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Xavin
    Actually we were given a very valid reason to react to it that way. It's not simply omg jungles -> bounty. Most of Bloodloch couldn't care less if everything was covered in jungle. But we had a mob give us a reason that the jungles in Mhojave pose a real problem and one that we need to retaliate on.
  • Oh, sure, right. I'm just going to sit here while you continue to justify letting one of your guilds go overboard with something to the point where the admin stepped in and gave duiran a way to actually take the offensive other than trying to lock down people who have 4+ ways to evade combat in their native class and then bountystack over an rp mechanic that lasts 60 minutes.

Meanwhile extermination still requires 10 ice to identify and 10 ice to remove, and doesn't go away on its own until the beginning of each new aetolian year.

It's all fine when the Indorani are the only ones doing it but god forbid Duiran get something even remotely similar, which is all this really boils down to.

It was presented as a real threat to Bloodloch, possibly escalating into mechanical.

Exterminate requires 10 ash and can be removed. Your staff thing has no counter and doesn't cost you anything.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your last sentence. You guys set this as the retaliation standard. We're just going along with you. Seems fair to me?
    RiluoJensen
  • edited July 2014
    OK let me make sense of all of this.

Indorani GUILD attacks Duiran CITY with exterminating. Cost to Duiran is great, bs rp mechancic for indo, Duiran counters with bounties galore and kills the Indorani when they can catch them.

Bloodloch looks and goes, guild vs city. eh not our problem.

Admin instead of just removing said problem, (EXTERMINATING, nercromancy) decides to have some fun and give Duiran (CITY agiain) a stick that turns any room to a jungle.

Duiran counters with turning the desert right next to BLOODLOCH (CITY) into a forest.

BLOODLOCH counters with exact same mechanic used against the Indorani (BOUNTIES)

So instead of actually fighting the problem the Indorani GUILD, Duiran took it to the CITY that houses the guild, but isn't directly responsible for any guilds actions. Like do you blame Bloodloch for anything the Carnifex did, should Spines be blamed for anytime the Sciomancers raid the master crystal. I said I think extermination should be removed, but the stick idea was literally just throwing gas on a fire.

On top of all of that, turning the desert into a jungle wouldn't effect the indorani at all, that would target the Teradrim and Ivoln, which neither had anything to do with the beginning situation. So I say remove exterminating from the game and set fire to all those sticks and call it a day.

InfinMephistolesIshinGwenithIlyonJensen
  • Gas on the fire is what Aet needs, why are people acting like this is a bad thing? It's a reasonable, roleplay-backed source of conflict. You know, the thing that everyone complains that Aetolia is missing. Enjoy it. Get more people involved.
    SlypheIlyonPiperZsadist
  • @Ezalor except you're ignoring the fact that the staff effect lasts EXACTLY 60 minutes. It literally does -nothing- other than changing the environment for 60 minutes. In fact, it might end up causing more work for Duiran because the environment change kills plants in the area. With almost all of the desert having been changed when people first got the staves, it seems like Duiran is going to have to do replanting at some point, and Bloodloch sure as heck doesn't care about that.

You're basically comparing someone getting tapped to someone getting punched in the gut. Furthermore, if you're going to try and say 'you did it first', you need to get your facts straight regarding our actual bountying practices.

@Damonicus: the staves can't be used inside a city, and even if they could, Bloodloch would get involved the second we try and get to the Indorani guildhall. We are working with what we have been given, and considering no one seems to care to police their own...well, I probably shouldn't be disappointed by Ezalor's reaction considering no one over thee thought to say 'hey, maybe you guys are going overboard with this'.

edited July 2014
    I mean I don't really have a problem with that, if the Indorani themselves are uncooperative they ARE housed in Bloodloch, so you could try to attack the umbrella organization to force something to happen.

I just don't understand the thought process behind exterminate -> we will use bounties. We need a similar mechanic to exterminate. Get it, use it -> bounties used against us in the same way but that's unfair as punishment. Some argument could come from the effects of exterminate vs the effects of this thing, but both are largely RP in nature. Exterminate takes longer to remove and is also more expensive/harder to actually create. This jungle thing has no way to actually remove it beyond time but also doesn't cost anything to create. Exterminate kills plantlife, jungles in the Mhojave threaten Bloodloch's territory there and mobs have expressed that allowing jungle to run rampant there will have bad repercussions for BL. Doesn't strike me as particularly skewed.

Which is not to say this back-and-forth is something good or that exterminate doesn't need changes, but when given a similar mechanic that is met with similar retaliation I guess I don't see why there's rage over that. I disagree that so many bounties is reasonable for either exterminating or jungle-ifying but those are the parameters we were presented by Duiran.

As far as policing, I've never actually been approached IC or OOC about this. In fact, the only contact I did receive about this before today was someone from Duiran asking me NOT to get Bloodloch involved either way so that Duiran could fight the Indorani, which is exactly what I did. The Indorani coordinated this and ran it completely on their own as well. I don't even know the extent to which they went with it.
  • I'm curious who said that to you, because man...at this point I think some of us are/were pretty ticked off that none of the leaders on that side seem to be doing -anything- other than saying 'not our problem'.

The thing is this staff thing is only remotely similar. You're right, there's no cost and no way to remove. But it literally lasts an hour at the most. Places in the desert could be phantom jungle and you would never notice it, if it's out of the way. At least, it would be highly unlikely that it would be found if you're not out looking for it.

Bloodloch doesn't care about plants, and this staff thing has the same effect on the plants - the change in environment removes them, which means Duiran has to weigh the cost/benefit of that. I think -that- is why there is no cost to use the staves, because it means Duiran is harming itself in a way.

Do you want to know why we bounty so harshly for extermination? Because of things like what has been going on this week. Because people think it's funny to exterminate whole areas over and over and then run and hide when someone comes to fight over it. Because if you're going to grief an organization, you deserve to be hunted any time you take a step outside of a city.

In essence, this feels like you guys are saying 'It's fine when the Indorani are basically griefing you, we don't care. But the second you are given something that leaves the tinyest mark on an area we care about as a result of one of our orgs being unicorns, we're going to pound you into the dirt because trololo'.

This discussion has been closed.