Goal: Understanding the current state of the game and what makes it unique to other IRE games as well as obtaining an understanding of combat and making a class selection that will fit within my play style.
1. There seems to be a little bit more PvE opportunity here. Is there actual end game PvE and how does that work?
2. Playerbase is of huge import to me. How are you all? Do you throw a novice to the wolves? Are you able to take them under your wing and help me with the eccentricities of the game?
3. Combat balance: While I know every game will ebb and flow with balance, is there a clear imbalance in the game or are they resolved fairly quickly?
4. The reason I am making a forum post and am not just figuring it out myself is purely do to investment. When I get sick, I go to the expert (physician), so here I am coming to the experts (you). I like RP, PvE, and building, but my love is combat. Here is my situation: I will have roughly 2800 credits to start and I will purchase the no-brainer packages as well as a membership. My least favorite way of killing is easy kills or little setup. I like being able to tweak my combat and make changes to slowly better it over time, and I like being a class that isn't considered OP or easy. I like my character feeling unique and less cookie cutter. The classes that stick out to me are Sentinel, Shaman, Templar and Warfarer, and I am leaning Spirit. I could be persuaded to go Shadow though. My issue is that I do not know how combat is played in Aetolia. I do not know what I will be doing or how to even consider the skills, so my question is what classes should I consider? It would be extremely helpful to understand the class' role in group combat as well as kill methods. A list of required artifacts, trans skills, and other info that I will need to eventually at least get to mid tier combat would be appreciated.
5. Is shadow and spirit pretty even or would one benefit from another decent combatant more than the other?
6. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would be coming from Lusternia, so here is how I would answer question 4 for one of Lusternia's classes:
Mage will generally been extremely valued in a group, but you will never want to be on the front lines. Your job will be setting up an area and holding that area with effects. There are some viable kill methods in secondary skills, but recall that your job is not to be on the front lines. If you are a setup an area and stay back at a safe distance type of person then mage is for you. In solo combat, you will be able to hurt someone that comes into your area, but they will likely not do so unless you are able to force them somehow; however, you will be extremely potent in the area that you do prep. You will be one of the highest priorities in combat. Other than essential general combat artifacts, you will need at least a rune of demense (100 credits) and tanky artifacts rune of fitness (500 credits) to increase your tankiness because you will be targeted. If you wish to PvE then you will most likely need at least a whip (275 credits) and buff rune (300 credits) to do so with end game efficiency. In general, you will need to trans discipline, combat, and it is a good idea to get pretty high in a few others. For your class skills, you will need to trans at least your mancy skill and likely your tertiary skill to have a viable kill method. Note: There is only one mage usually needed which may require you to flex to chemantic skill from mancy skill which is an additional trans skill needed.
Edit: Fixed some minor typos and errors.