Short Questions

Comments

• LimLim
    edited May 2014
    Amberlea said:

Will the in game path find system ever be modified to respect waterwalking? I really prefer it to a secondary system like the common mudbot mapper... and it respecting waterwalking would pretty much seal the deal on me saving up for some of Xon's pretty ironcoin sandals.

Dash/gallop support would be an added bonus, but way way harder to code I'm sure :) I can do without if I can just walk on water when pathing! <3</p>

I endorse this message for upgrading the in-game mapper, in the same way the queue system has gotten nice fixes.

I've found the in-game mapper to be so much less painful to use (it lags very much less). If it had galloping, dashing, more monuments (100?) etc., it would improve the gaming experience by buttloads. :)
    RiluoAmberleaIshin
  • On a separate note:

Does celerity aid PATH FIND and PATH GO speed?
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I know GRACE does, @Lim. Not sure about celerity.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • It does, to a certain degree. GRACE and ENDURANCE both make me go faster, but only one application seems to count. So having both up is the same as having just one, as far as I can tell.
    Rawr
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Lim said:

On a separate note:

It should, yes.

I'm certainly open to ideas about improving pathfinding. Most external autowalkers function by spamming the heck out of the game and gagging the "You can't move that fast!" messages. The built-in method is much easier on our resources.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    AmberleaLimEmelle
  • I don't have some of these cool toys/classes myself so I have no idea if any of this is taken into account, I imagine at least some aren't:

* If I have wings is there a shorter way to get there using them? If so use it.

* If I have access to wormholes (vibrating stick/syssin) is that the best route? If so use it.

* Will city portals get me there faster? Check even if outside the city, so if I am 3 steps out of duiran and path to delos, it absolutely will be faster to walk back into the city, portals, and go east.

* Give us a config option to QL or have the map show on movement when pathing.

* Consider having pathing enter non-standard exits. For example: if I path to maghuir's room in the fissure, have it enter the fissure for me.

* As mentioned previously, galloping/dashing support.

* As mentioned previously, waterwalking respect.

* Have multiple versions of movement speed bonus stack when pathing, as they do when performing normal movement. As far as I can tell it seems to only take the first level of bonus when pathing right now.

* Having vnums attached to scry/who lines would then eliminate the need for a mapper to track down your friends/enemies.

Some of these things may use up balance, which actually causes the in game system to spam out exits. If you've ever thrown up GRACE while pathing somewhere you know what I'm talking about. If you're swimming this actually stops the path and you have to restart it. Having the system wait until you gain balance to attempt the move would probably be a good idea on your end if a lot more people were to start using. If you lose balance mid-swim it could just try again when you regain so you don't have to restart the path? Might be able to tie this into the queue work that's already been done?

I can understand a feeling of 'meh' about the special exits thing, as some of these are meant to be somewhat secretish, but clever players are building that sort of stuff into their mappers. Being able to actually path to asper, including getting on the boat for you and everything, might be functionality people are hesitant to give up.
    Rawr
    FurtumIshin
  • LimLim
    edited May 2014
    Oleis said:

Lim said:

On a separate note:

It should, yes.

I'm certainly open to ideas about improving pathfinding. Most external autowalkers function by spamming the heck out of the game and gagging the "You can't move that fast!" messages. The built-in method is much easier on our resources.
    Well I guess the main concern might be that you guys already have a lot on your plates (with Carni and Cabal fixes left, at least until the fresh round of liaisons), and I know jack about the trouble that goes into coding something like a full mapper. So I completely understand if it's not a high priority.

Personal wishlist:
    1. path go gallop
    2. path go dash
    3. path go sprint (wait, does sprint even exist anymore?)
    4. adding of special exits (enter portal, twist statue, etc.) so that you can path find through them

For the gallop/dash type movement modes, I think the typical logic is: if you need to pass by a dead end room, which is your in line of sight, on the way to your final destination, then gallop/dash, else walk.

As an additional note: Please make this also apply to dead-end rooms that are only a one-room distance away. For some reason, the mappers I've used don't gallop/dash to dead-end rooms one-room distance away, which means my mapper makes me enter the room, wait to ensure I'm in the room, then carries on. This creates an unnecessary pause, since gallop/dash can be stacked without a hasty penalty.

@Oleis‌: What you just said about mappers spamming movement and gagging hasty messages might explain why I experience crazy lag with external mappers. I don't play from the States, which means high ping, which means lag would be exacerbated when this sort of spam-movement-gag-hasty method of movement is used.

Edit: Amberlea mentions lots of functions that I missed out. Scrying, wormholes, portal functions (wings, amulet, cityportals). Those would be awesome too. :)

Regarding special exits - don't have to spoil it for us. I'm sure some of the builders put in special exits specially so we can figure them out, and it would be a waste if we got fed the answers. Maybe just have some way by which we can input it ourselves?
    It's worth mentioning these wouldn't be short-term plans; I just wanted to keep in mind ways for us to lessen the playerbase's reliance on external mappers.

Unfortunately, some of these personalized things would be pretty difficult (wings and wormholes). A lot of the pathing code itself is shared among the five games (for interactivity with the client). Changing what we DO with the path (gallop, dashing, sprinting) is probably a lot more feasible.
    [---]
  • Just for city portals and wormholes I would solely use the serverside pathfinding and stop updating my xml.
    Ishin
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Being unable to follow your movements in a separate map window, use gallop, set up special entrances for quick and easy access and set as many customized room tags as you want are reasons why I rather use my external mapper (aside from having grown accustomed to mudbot in general).

SetneAngwe
    Wormholes are transient things, so I can see why that would be a pain, @Oleis. Maybe you could make the individual have to go check sources or something like that, and store those on an individual level? Not really sure how that would work, though, what a pain lol.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Furtum
  • Or person can just do path find -number- path go... wormholes shouldn't really be added to path finding.. granted its nice but is it really needed if path finding is made better? with dash/gallop?

And for wings just set an alias to 'wings' path find -place- ?

And not ALL Cities have access to City Portals as it gets turned of and on depending on ylem upkeep soo making that into path finding seems like it'll take more coding for that too.. :/
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • Riluo said:

On amulet I get:
    Protection Artifact: 13% cutting and blunt
    You would get 6% to both as you wear armour already.

I'm currently in shapeshifter class.

If I get 13% on the blunt/cutting armour audit breakdown, but 5% on the total blunt/cutting audit, this doesn't sound right does it?

No armour on.
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Sounds about right to me.

Yeah, @Lim. You get approximately half of the armor rating of something as actual audit.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Hrm, I'm a bit confused.

Do you mean that an item that costs 500 credits provides 5% resistance if one is not wearing armour, and 2.5% if one is? That's quite measly, right?

Why not say 5% and 2.5%, instead of saying 20/20 armour rating? I get that armour rating is not the same as audit, but that's a huge disparity in expectation, especially for people who aren't familiar with how things translate. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
  • LimLim
    edited May 2014
    Ishin said:

Yeah, @Lim. You get approximately half of the armor rating of something as actual audit.

Ah, yeah that's what I thought, and I expected around a ~10% boost from 20/20 armour.

********************************[ Resistances ]********************************
    Type Defences Miniskills Armour A. Total
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cutting 25% 0% 40% 39%
    Blunt 25% 0% 40% 39%

********************************[ Resistances ]********************************
    Type Defences Miniskills Armour A. Total
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cutting 25% 0% 53% 44%
    Blunt 25% 0% 53% 44%

^ is this right? Or something wrong?
  • Because it used to be that with old armour which turned it into 20/20 but since the clearn up of code its still 20/20 but it translates into 5% which as far as I can tell 20 on armor is... @Lim‌

Old armour used to make people have 90/90 audit but it was re-coded to give accurate read out for people (believe that was the case I might get corrected)

• LimLim
    edited May 2014
    So misleading!

Sounds like one of those artifacts that someone was mentioning earlier that have old pricing, but significantly nerfed effects. The fact that its stated effects aren't newbie-friendly kinda makes it worse. :(

I've msg @Razmael‌ and will have my fingers crossed.
    Ishin
  • @Oleis or @Razmael‌ Are we ever getting any NEW Racial skills to spend the haven points i've yet to use?

I have free 14+ and all the racial skills minus the ones I have from skills.. And nothing to spend them on ..
    Nalor said:

@Oleis or @Razmael‌ Are we ever getting any NEW Racial skills to spend the haven points i've yet to use?

I have free 14+ and all the racial skills minus the ones I have from skills.. And nothing to spend them on ..

I mean.. Maybe?
    [---]
  • heh thanks! Thought to ask since I guess im not only person with pointless haven points :P @Oleis‌
  • Oleis said:

Nalor said:

@Oleis or @Razmael‌ Are we ever getting any NEW Racial skills to spend the haven points i've yet to use?

I mean.. Maybe?
    Lunar regen, please.

• Or maybe you freaks should all quit finding bashing somehow 'fun'!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

OmeiTeaniSetneFurtumAshmerHavenEmellePerilunaJensenAngwe
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    The rebirth crystal is a one-time reincarnation?

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    yes
    @Razmael @Oleis‌

Can the banner of dominance's line be customized? This is what it is now:

The corpse of Dato is here, a banner bearing Ishin's name staked through it.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    RiluoAshmer
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I'm not sure if I missed something about possible vial bugs in all the recent changes, but today I went to add some analeptic/stimulant vials to a shop, and when pricing it, the added new ones wouldn't combine with the old ones (same serum, same vial type). I didn't have this problem with bandages when I added those. Any insights?

Right now, the vials in question show up like this (but should be 15 of each):

vial208972 a stimulant serum (intricately painted Bahir' 14 220gp
    vial95690 an analeptic serum (intricately painted Bahir 12 220gp
    vial158560 a stimulant serum (intricately painted Bahir' 1 220gp
    vial158705 an analeptic serum (intricately painted Bahir 3 220gp

A pair of soft, half-calf black boots cannot hold that kind of enchantment.

Why won't my boots hold waterwalking enchant? :/ Seems kind've um...odd? Is it a bug or what?
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Enchanting has been changed to be jewelcraft only, unfortunately. This was a call made by the administrative team, not by the liaisons. Ultimately it lost the ability to put some of the encahnts on wearable clothing and a few woodcraft things like wands.