Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    edited March 2014
    I'm gonna split this thread, but it's gonna take me a minute, so save your posts.

http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/1196/retribution
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.

Rage Rage Rage.

Attempting to get a following for lessers is getting more and more difficult it seems. I completely understand the sentiment, when 9/10 it is simply a break from bashing to go get lolstomped at a lesser. Not really anyones fault, I suppose, just comes down to there being a much more active draw to fighting over Foci on the darkie side, while lifers/lighters are left the more, "Go bash and offer lots of corpses for our ylem."

Side Rage:

Walking into a room with 6 vampires with even numbers can't even net us one kill, so upsurdly infuriating.

Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• With 3 minutes left to go, randomly: 

Kroz has been killed, your efforts have failed!

I was standing IN ROOM with him, and last eval had him at over half hp, with nothing in there to even attack him. I don't even.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Toz said:
    With 3 minutes left to go, randomly: 

Kroz has been killed, your efforts have failed!

I was standing IN ROOM with him, and last eval had him at over half hp, with nothing in there to even attack him. I don't even.
    And it wasnt even me. Karmaaaaaa. :P
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    "Oh a lesser, maybe I'll try to help out." ./6v3, NOPE. 

Not really a rage, but more of a bummer/grump. I wish both sides would exercise a bit more 'let's make this interesting and not just a curbstomp', because then it's either a suicide run or no one gets any actual participation. 
    Areka said:

Not really a rage, but more of a bummer/grump. I wish both sides would exercise a bit more 'let's make this interesting and not just a curbstomp', because then it's either a suicide run or no one gets any actual participation. 
    We're all just so excited for pk that we all hop in + the people who just want to help their city.  It stays fairly balanced if there's fighting after the lesser is over. 
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I understand that, and that time of day makes a difference. It's just a bummer. 
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Areka I actually don't help out with probably 1/2 or 2/3 of the Lessers just because of numbers. It lessens my fun(I mean, you know me pgood, you know how much I like to WIN), but I mean, it helps others have more fun by there being one less lycan in the fight(and I don't get focused first, you dirty lifer bastards). I've been playing Resi some trying to get my Templar stuff back into shape so I can help you guys with Lessers, but I haven't really been able to sit down with @Daskalos yet and talk things out to iron'em out.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Areka
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai

Areka said:

It started off just me going to find Bene, then Ilyon said he wasn't alone and 2 were in room, so him and Ezalor came along, then Dourif and Feichin showed up out of nowhere. Sorreh.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• Urrbody scared to fight Rashar and Areka.

Might be the deadliest duo in Aetolia.

Just clowning. I mean, about being upset, that is. Because fuggiiit. 
  • edited March 2014
    So im at my wit's end with Mob interactions. Either I have some very bad luck in this department or im being served a different dish, because nothing could be this bad.

I try to interact with certain mobs for days (RL) to get any reaction, including mobmessages AND tells, and it seems to always lead to one of two results: Failure or assaulting me. Is this -really- an appropriate reaction to almost every mob i've tried to interact with? They randomly turn aggressive on me in an attempt to scare me off? Honestly it seems like the one possessing cant be bothered with talking and so tries to get rid of me. Seriously, a simple "Leave me alone" will do it.

It isnt just random mobs too. I specifically attempt to speak with mobs for certain arcs im attempting to undertake. For example: During the Juxa war event, I attempted to speak with the Chieftian of trolls in Mannaseh for several days; no response. After the war, I tried on several occassions (directly and through mobmessage) to speak with Nator of the spellshapers about the 'crime' he committed against the city-states; zilch. These past few days, I've attempted to speak with Rax in Huanazedha about an idea of a 'special' ingredient Cali had to make his 'concoctions' have more kick; nada. These are only recent cases too, if I look back into it, it's been nothing but no responses or random aggro. It just annoys me to no end.
  • Mob possession is one of those things that unfortunately falls under the realm of privilege rather than right. In many cases the volunteers are simply busy working on other projects and don't have the time to dive into a potentially long RP arc - it's nothing personal, you're hardly the only person it happens to.

IshinMaghakKatsziaLin
  • I always forget that is even possible, except with like.. Maelo, or Jarvan.

And that's just because I assume Slyphe is always creepin'.
    PerilunaSlyphe
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    If mobs randomly turn aggro on you @Calipso, you have to also consider that is one of the "perks"/abilities monuments grant cities to their enemies.

So if there was a monument in the area belonging to a city you're enemied to or something then mobs will randomly turn aggro on you. I learned this the hard way when Ciem's Yoatl attacked me mid-quest which made me thing a god randomly mobpossed but it wasn't.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos

Rashar said:
    And you're right.
  • Haven said:
    If mobs randomly turn aggro on you Calipso, you have to also consider that is one of the "perks"/abilities monuments grant cities to their enemies.

So if there was a monument in the area belonging to a city you're enemied to or something then mobs will randomly turn aggro on you. I learned this the hard way when Ciem's Yoatl attacked me mid-quest which made me thing a god randomly mobpossed but it wasn't.
    That was a bug that was later fixed. Wasnt meant to do that.
  • Arbre said:

Rashar said:
    And you're right.
    Psh, I've been far too busy working full time and taking classes to even do any meaningful creeping lately. 

• I rage at 2 things,

1. Where I can bash! Now we are not allowed to bash QUESTS areas because of griefers!

2. Not allowed to leave my golem out because of crying guild! LIKE WE can help it when we get disconnected, NO wonder you have no members!
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Calipso said:
    Haven said:
    If mobs randomly turn aggro on you Calipso, you have to also consider that is one of the "perks"/abilities monuments grant cities to their enemies.

That was a bug that was later fixed. Wasnt meant to do that.
    Oh no, it was totally intended at the time. We removed it because it was more trouble than it could ever be worth.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Lin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Nalor said:
    I rage at 2 things,

1. Where I can bash! Now we are not allowed to bash QUESTS areas because of griefers!

2. Not allowed to leave my golem out because of crying guild! LIKE WE can help it when we get disconnected, NO wonder you have no members!
    ? What areas are disallowed for bashing?

I never understood the whole nitpicking over loyal mobs. I think the policies originally developed because newbs would leave them out or trolls would kill them and start headachy drama, but I don't see what can be gained from harassing your own org members about them being out. 
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Nalor said:
    I rage at 2 things,

1. Wut? Wasn't aware of any un-bashable areas. Heck, wasn't Daskalos bashing Bloodlochian Guards once upon a time? #YOLO
  • Think he's referring to areas that are ICly protected.
    those noob areas really keep a strict velvet rope policy.  Bouncers were like "you aint gettin in with those  shoes" and they meant it
    Setne
  • Maghak said:
    Mob possession is not something you are entitled to on-demand simply for being able to write 'say to mob'. It is a tool we use when we can to make the world more interesting. Given that we have limited numbers of volunteers, each of whom has informal rights to a few areas or factions like Huanazedha, it is quite unreasonable to complain at length about not getting a specific mob from a specific area involved in your personal (ENTIRELY personal; no faction or world impetus) roleplay arc.

Which was my entire reason behind almost every single mob interaction I have attempted. From the troll chief in mannaseh during the Juxa war, to Nator after. You say it is a tool you use to make the world a more interesting place...yet I have seen mobs possessed for naught but laughs...why do you attempt to defend it when I have seen it used moreso for unprofessional use? An example below of what attempting to interact with smirnick has now achieved for me:

[spoiler]
    12:40:08.779 A stony passage.
    12:40:08.816 You see exits leading northeast and west.
    12:40:08.816 H:5200(100%) M:4200(100%) W:100% E:99% EXP:30.82%

12:40:10.700 In a brightly lit room.
    12:40:10.743 His eyes shaded by his cloak, Smirnick rests here quietly.
    12:40:10.744 You see a single exit leading east.
    12:40:10.745 Smirnick, the assassin says, "You again?"
    12:40:10.747 Smirnick, the assassin draws his weapons with a sigh.
    12:40:10.747 H:5200(100%) M:4200(100%) W:100% E:99% EXP:30.82%
    12:40:13:000 Smirnick, the assassin quickly stabs you twice with the sharp tip of his dirk, and you start to feel unwell.
    12:40:13:000 H:3925(75%) M:4200(100%) W:100% E:100% EXP:30.82% -1275h
    12:40:14:771 You remove 1 moss, bringing the total in the cache to 863.
    12:40:14:771 H:3925(75%) M:4200(100%) W:100% E:100% EXP:30.82%
    12:40:14:781 You feel your health and mana replenished.
    12:40:14:781 H:4445(85%) M:4200(100%) W:100% E:100% EXP:30.82% +520h
    12:40:14:787 Smirnick, the assassin pricks you twice in rapid succession with his dirk.
    12:40:14:997 Smirnick, the assassin quickly stabs you twice with the sharp tip of his dirk, and you start to feel unwell.
    12:40:14:997 H:2133(41%) M:3840(91%) W:99% E:100% EXP:30.82% [csdb eb]
    12:40:16:136 You bleed 188 health.
    12:40:16:136 H:2049(39%) M:3840(91%) W:99% E:100% EXP:30.82% [csdb eb]
    12:40:16:141 Smirnick, the assassin quickly stabs you twice with the sharp tip of his 12:40:16:141 dirk, and you start to feel unwell.
    12:40:16:146 A surge of rejuvenating energy floods your system, healing your wounds.
    12:40:16:146 H:2830(54%) M:3840(91%) W:99% E:100% EXP:30.82%
    <sips and moss>
    12:40:16:790 H:4560(87%) M:2564(61%) W:98% E:100% EXP:30.82%
    12:40:17:008 Smirnick, the assassin quickly stabs you twice with the sharp tip of his 12:40:17:008 dirk, and you start to feel unwell.
    12:40:17:027 A stony passage.
    12:40:17:206 You see exits leading northeast and west.
    12:40:17:231 H:3261(62%) M:2564(61%) W:98% E:99% EXP:30.82%
    [/spoiler]

My 'reward' for attempting to interact was to have it coded that smirnick attacks me faster than any other mob?

Maghak said:

Additionally (and here I will be rather blunt): spamming mobtalk with the same or slightly different line for literal hours at a time does not endear you to anyone likely to respond with mob possession. Personally, my desire to take time out of my limited Aetolia schedule to roleplay a mob with someone (outside of faction or patron obligations) is inversely proportional to how stridently they are demanding I do so.

If one is showing such dertermination over days, then im sure it wouldnt be too much to simply indulge the Player and interact with them. Heck simply possess and say 'no'. What is the point of mobmessages if they are just going to be ignored based on whether you: a. Like the person or b. Are part of your faction. That is a very unprofessional take on things.

Maghak said:

I apologise if this all sounds harsh, but frankly mob possession is entirely up to the currently online volunteers and spamming them or complaining about their lack of response on forums is not going to get you any results. Consider changing the way you approach mobs ingame and the kinds of stories you attempt to push.

I brought this to forums to point out my frustration at this mechanic that i've been met with failure and harassment time and again. Heck the troll shaman in Hashan that I attempted to question about her relations with Juxa is now constantly aggro. Is this really how Aetolia's game ethics work? Attempt to shoo someone away by ordering a mob to be aggressive so you wont have to deal with it?

Also I've approached mobs in several different ways with several different storylines, and few were for personal reasons. Frankly with all the evidence i've seen, it seems mob possessing is being used on the basis on favoritism rather than "making the world more interesting". Thank you.
    ArekaKatsziaLinRivas
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

And so what if it is? Mob possession, as Maghak stated, is a privilege not a right. Consider your history as a player, and the way you've generally acted.  You tried to go steampunk in Spinesreach and just introduce things that don't exist in game, then got upset when you got your hand slapped. You're enemied to most of the organizations in the realm because you stole from players and then boasted about it, when theft has generally been frowned upon  in Aetolia by all the players. You've stolen things that can only be replaced via credits (chalices) and blown those off as 'minor items' when challenged about it. Do you think that sort of behavior should be rewarded?  Mob possession is one of those things that anyone can do, but no one has to do. They all have projects their working on, and what do you hope to accomplish here? Guilt them into mob possessing with you? If I were a volunteer -- and remember that word, volunteer -- after these forums posts I would refuse to do any mob pos'ing simply because. Does favoritism play a role in all of it? Maybe, maybe not. Does 'oh god I don't want to deal with this player' play a part in it? I'm almost certain it does.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

MoireanArekaKatsziaRivasSarita
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Seeing as Mobpossession is not something that should be expected, but rather might be something that could be fun and good should it happen (much like Divine interaction in general and blessings), perhaps you should consider limiting your attempts to engage the volunteers in whatever story arcs you have in mind? I'm not saying stop completely, but you do make it sound like you've been trying to bring in NPCs in on things or attempted to interact with NPCs in a -lot- of ways.

If you get no response it can be for different reasons, not just dislike. Either they are too busy with other things, or they are unsure how to act on something you request and need to check it with others before doing something. If the people they need to check with are not there at the moment, things could be forgotten (especially if it's minor things). They could perhaps not even be there, or not tuned in on mobs being spoken to.

Sure, some things won't be possible to push through without admin help, but some things might not be meant to be put in, or something might not be ready for release to the playerbase yet, so they leave it be. I'd advise being patient and not expect things. The attacking mobs are a clear sign that you might have gone a little overboard with trying to get attention. Perhaps try engaging other players instead.

This discussion has been closed.