Mafia: The Rellyw Rebellion - Game Thread

Comments

• Yes, the Jailer can be reflected onto someone else.

i am rapture coder
  • Dang. This got started with a vengeance. I thought I had a pretty solid handle on things till I read the back and forth.

I don't think plucking a name out of a hat is a good plan. I think you are more likely to hit someone you want to keep alive than not doing so. I'm on the fence about nolynch, though. It's a rough choice. It's hard to have a solid lead so early in the game but doing nothing isn't really a great option either.

I have to think more about the roleclaiming stuff. After coffee. Once a strong role is publicly acknowledged, a lucky hit in the night can make that target vulnerable really early. I need to go back and read all the different rules/roles a bit more thoroughly. 
    imageimage
  • Roleclaiming this early can be bad. too many ways to get around it. IE multi claims, reflecting and such. As for no lynch I also am on the fence it would be good to get into the night round for the syssin to start searching and have the warden learn a bit more.  But right now all we are getting is arguments back and forth about no lynching with no actual results for anything substantial for a vote on someone. 

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    VOTE: No Lynch
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • Oh wow. I'm with @Minarael on this. I thought I understood the rules and such but now I'm not so sure. I think a NoLynch is more viable in this situation. There is a 64% chance of lynching a Rellyw, whereas we have only a 12% chance of lynching an Indorani. There is also the 24% chance of lynching a Conclave member and doing that will cause us to lose an extra Rellyw every night round.

Now, as far as roleclaiming, I'm not as versed on the roles as I need to be so until we are 100% sure that whoever does roleclaim can be protected, I don't think that is a good idea.

(If all of this has been said already, I'm sorry. No A/C in my car and it's unicornsing hot outside.)
  • Oh and I forgot to vote... (no editing is still a rule, right?)

VOTE: NOLYNCH
  • From reading the rules and seeing how the game works, I have to agree that a No Lynch does seem the smartest in this case. 

VOTE: NO LYNCH

• edited August 2013
    The way it was explained to me is that nolynching gives some place for people to hide...

That early reasoning has given people an early cop out.

Also, on the maths angle. Someone's going to die tonight to the Indorani bar some substantial luck. On day two, what's the probability of picking some name out of the hat being an Indorani or conclave member with one less rellyw? As that is what this nolynch vote guarantees.

After a nolynch we will be none the wiser.

The conclave won't want to kill rellyw as they need us for day votes so I don't expect them to kill indiscriminately.

The Indorani don't care who we vote for, it might be safer for them for a first day no vote.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    You can't fall back on default "this is how mafia is played" tactics in this game. It's completely different from a traditional game.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Indorani will get their kill at night no matter what. And with a lynch, they get two kills done, unless we manage to strike one of theirs.

Conclaves will want either one of the opposing fraction or an Indorani killed, so they are a bit more careful with a vote.

Rellyw need information to know what is going on so better targets can be picked and with a nolynch we miss out on an opportunity to see what happens when someone gets targeted. Yes, we might target one of our own, it's always a risk, but it will help the Warden make a little more sense of what powers have been used on whom, no?

If I'm way off on this, please someone correct me.

• One rules addendum: I have ruled that if a role uses an active power on itself, that name will be disguised in the Warden's report, i.e. "The Dhasan of Art redirected powers away from the Dhasan of Art to X". This is because I realized that the Warden might have a bit too much of an early game edge in that regard, particularly owing to the fact that the report is a passive power.

i am rapture coder
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

Vote: NoLynch

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Please don't edit posts. :(
    Moirean said:
    Please don't edit posts. :(
    just curious but.....why??
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• My guess is not to edit because we want to see thoughts, even if, ESPECIALLY if, people change their mind on something. Logic trails are necessary in these games.

By my calculations, we have almost a dozen rellyw without an important role. There's a decent chance that even if we pick out someone on our team, they aren't going to be vital. Further, we have a better chance of getting information from pointing fingers that we get from sitting on our hands.  

imageimage
    Aryanne
  • I agree. Right now a No lynch is the safest bet and so...

Vote: No Lynch
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Logic it is....bandwagon hooooo!!!!

VOTE: No Lynch
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Wait, what. Are people really voting nolynch because there's a bigger chance we'll hit one of our own? We could be wasting multiple rounds doing nothing at all while the conclaves/indorani just kill us at night. Your logic and bandwagoning doesn't even make any sense. If we vote for people instead of not lynching, at least there'll be some sort of evil mafia hints when people read through the thread later, right?

Vote: Aarbrok
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Oh. I forgot the color thingie.

Vote: Aarbrok
  • I'm not sold on the NoLynch. As Alexina said, we need the juicy stuff to give us ammo.

Sooo..

Vote: Macavity

How about an explanation, since you voted without even a small one?

Vharen said:
    I'm not sold on the NoLynch. As Alexina said, we need the juicy stuff to give us ammo.

Sooo..

Vote: Macavity

How about an explanation, since you voted without even a small one?
    I have been posting my thoughts on this, but to further explain my vote, people were talking and talking about it and I really did not want to stall out on the first day, so I simply started the vote for no lynch since people who have posted seemed to have been going in that direction as is.  

What you should be looking at and for, are those that have yet to say anything at all.  We have like 25 or 26 people playing this game and there should be a lot more people talking than just a small few of us who are stating our thoughts.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• Aren is just bandwagoning without having said a single word previously, without explaining his rational at all. Aarbrok did that also, twice, but the first time was as an ice-breaker and has at least spoken up. Macavity has also been talking.

Not contributing at all but voting is icky. Therefore I'm voting Aren.

Vote: Aren
    imageimage
  • @Macavity

I just wanted an explanation, s'all.

Unvote: Macavity

Vote: Daskalos

Same thing for @Daskalos. What's your reasoning behind your vote?

• Since it's the first round, I will be accommodating, but we don't want this to drag out forever. As such, you have until 0:00, August 16th, GMT to decide on an appropriate course of action - whether that be lynching, not lynching, or doing a song and dance routine. Please remember to color your votes or otherwise make them as visible as you can, and be aware that if you have reached no consensus I will pick someone at random to kill.

Thank you! That's all!

i am rapture coder
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    As I've said plenty of times already, I don't think a nolynch is good for us. Information comes from defensive posts, if I've understood this game at all. Put pressure on people rather than letting them hide and wait.

Vote Aarbrok

• DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Well, a 16 hour day with 0 time at my computer doesn't help get me into this game. After skimming 2 pages of posts I have determined... that I need to hope that today I get home much sooner than I did last night and actually read these posts so I know what the eff is going on. But, the tl;dr that I'm gathering is half the people that have had a chance to read/post have read the rules and believe that a no lynch is a good idea first round, another half think it is a bad idea, a third half voted after the first two halves discussed and now we're voting to kill one of the third halves for band wagoning?

We have too many halves.
  • I was thinking last night, and I don't nolynch is a good vote, despite the Warden's passive ability. Even before Omei's rule clarification, we've somewhat been overestimating the value of what we gain from it: at best, a trustworthy anonymous message with the report about it. Furthermore, at this point, power role actions could be random or even misleading, meaning that the data the Warden gleans is possibly influenced toward a certain agenda.

At most, we can lose two townies between this lynch and the night round. but the only faction that really gains from a nolynch is Indorani (who will have a 6:22 or 27% chance of hitting a conclave member tonight anyway) for the slim chance of useful data. Remember too that every scum role is a power role.

It's not just the Warden is making me consider no lynch - it's also the fact that if we DO hit a conclave member, we then double the amount of deaths we get at night.
    Periluna
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs

Whoops! Almost lost track of time, there.

NoLynches is an awful vote for the beginning stage. It's like putting out a welcome mat for whatever Scum there is and swearing that you won't retaliate for the time being. Take a chance, folks.

• So many people throwing there 2 cents in that nolynch is awful and then not voting either way. Sigh.