The Aetolian Confessionals

Comments

• I log nothing. I forget to log my fights half the time.

...Though if someone tries to count cause against me, I'll make an excel sheet and record time (down to millisecond) and log 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after first offense. Nobody counts cause better. Also? People who do that make me exceptionally mad, which is partially why I'll dedicate so much time to it.

Other stuff:
    - My characters come into existence because I get this weird little 'voice' in my head that asks (or orders) me to make them. I picture them in theoretical RP scenes with characters, picture how they'd dress, how they'd fight, how they'd talk/think/act for sometimes months before making them, just toying with the idea. Sometimes the voices go quiet before I get around to making them, other times they just yell at me until I cave and do it.

- I don't defup on login, unless I log in specifically to fight. Achaea habits still remain, and deffing up there wasn't cost-effective at all.
      - To a smaller degree, I hate testing out offense stuff because I habitually associate eating 100 herbs with being down a few thousand gold.

- I hate bashing, unless I'm in the mood to bash - then for whatever reason I can bash non-stop for hours. Toz got end-game stupid fast because of it.

- I let the dogs out.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Katszia
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    It's a cave now, unless you made it a tent in a cave probably need somewhat of a new one.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    When they first opened up the new shops they were going to confiscate any that didn't get descs in like a week or two! But that never happened! I freaked out and wrote one like DAY TWO. I am pretty fond of the Shaman's shop.
  • Aishia said:

When they first opened up the new shops they were going to confiscate any that didn't get descs in like a week or two! But that never happened! I freaked out and wrote one like DAY TWO. I am pretty fond of the Shaman's shop.

That's because I'm a dirty liar. IT WORKED! Then Peri left Durian.
    Haven
  • - I'm not really happy with Jas and I don't know how to fix it yet.

-I really feel like my RP has gone a bit down hill lately.

-I'm horrible at remembering things Jas has done at times so I log. And it takes me about 15 minutes to find the folder they are in when I want to look something up.

-I made it a point recently to not avoid RP with anyone. I'm not sure if it's going well or not.

-I don't usually defup unless I plan on bashing. I'm lazy like that.

-I'm so OCD when it comes to formatting and stuff for scrolls and things IG. I will sit there for hours and just go through them and fix all the little things. And then feel really embarrassed when someone points out a word that is very obviously spelled wrong in like..the opening title of the scroll.
  • Periluna said:
    I fall asleep all the time during RP to the point I think some people make it a point to not role play with me.
    I made it a habit of sleeping in-between bosses in World of Wacraft in the first year of its release. I think it's just matured like a fine cheese or wine and now I merely pass out. :(
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Jasline said:
    - I'm not really happy with Jas and I don't know how to fix it yet.

-I really feel like my RP has gone a bit down hill lately.

-I'm horrible at remembering things Jas has done at times so I log. And it takes me about 15 minutes to find the folder they are in when I want to look something up.

-I made it a point recently to not avoid RP with anyone. I'm not sure if it's going well or not.

-I don't usually defup unless I plan on bashing. I'm lazy like that.

-I'm so OCD when it comes to formatting and stuff for scrolls and things IG. I will sit there for hours and just go through them and fix all the little things. And then feel really embarrassed when someone points out a word that is very obviously spelled wrong in like..the opening title of the scroll.
    Of note, Daskalos adores Jasline and I love having you around as a player. You have a ton of energy and want to do good and you have no idea how much it means to me to have people like this in an organization. If everyone had 10 of you it would be awesome.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Aryanne
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I log just about everything and I've actually managed to use some of those files as data for a University thesis (which was awesome fun to write). I believe I actually have @Moirean's knighting ceremony from back in the Paladin guild somewhere.

The main reason I log things is because I'm worried I'll forget something. I've also had some weird accusations thrown at me through the years when it's been comforting to know I have the truth stored away somewhere (yes it's happened, and no, it shouldn't be necessary). Also, I love taking a trip down memory lane, reading through some of the logs I've given additional names.

Through the years, I've managed to kill/win spars against a few people who are way out of my league when it comes to combat (for example Kylan in his prime, and Xemnas when he was the main Atabahi fighter). It's been almost exclusively because their systems have been messed up at that precise moment and had little to do with my own skills.

I envy people who can PK and code for it. I always get told that I can learn, that it's not too difficult and that it doesn't take too much time. I'll much rather use said time for RP though, so I know it's my own fault for only being an average fighter, not competing with the top-tier people. It would be nice to though.

• AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life

Hey I got all that stuff done.

You're welcome, @Ferrik!

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• * I hate PK, but I want to learn how to get better at it. Creates a bit of a Catch 22.

* I have never had a good system, and I get so irritated at the thought of having to spend credits/real money just to be half decent at that part of IRE games. It makes me very grumpy. (Case in point, I also don't have the time or inclination to learn how to code, because coding just does not make sense to me and makes me want to break things.)

* I play Aetolia (and all IRE games I've ever played) for bashing, and RP. I love getting to see other people's characters, creativity, and watching how my own grow.

* If I feel a character of mine has had their story come to an end, I quit playing them and start a new one. I'd prefer to play a character I'm happy with that's new and refreshing, and stick to one just because I spent money and time to get credits and levels. (Don't get me wrong, I really like being Omnitrans and having artifacts as much as the next person, but being happy as my character is more important to me if this is my main source of entertainment.)

* I'm a pretty emotion driven person. Playing Aetolia is like watching a movie (I just happen to be in it). If something happens that makes Katszia happy, it's likely you'll catch me smiling. Something funny? I've laughed out loud, lots. Something sad? Yup, I've cried. Something makes me angry? Usually I'll walk away for a bit but it happens.

* I have alts. I like having them for moments where I'm in a different "headspace" and Katszia (definitely my main) does not fit in that headspace. I dislike people sharing alts, and pointedly avoid sharing who other people's alts are because I feel like some people don't separate well enough, and it ruins some of the immersion.

* I have a rune in my haven that @Chakrasul left there when she and @Dhar got into that big fight not too long ago, that I can't make go away! Where's the Comet? (It says it's etched into the floor of the grotto, when the grotto no longer exists!) Divine scrubbing bubbles please?

* Someone remarked OOCly (erk) that @Killien and Katszia are not twins since he was born on the 4th and she was born on the 6th. That irritates the tar out of me. He and I intended to make @Killien one day, and Kat the next, as a way of having one born "before midnight" and one "after". The bum got the day wrong and said he created @Killien on the 5th, so I waited until the 6th. Now, we just RP it that he was born before midnight on the 4th, and they had a very unfortunate mother and a very stubborn baby Katszia who didn't want to come out, and she was born after midnight on the 6th! Poor NPC lady. (A record of twins being born 87 days apart, and several others, have happened. Don't tell me one whole day makes them not twins!)

Umm, that's it for now!
  • 1. I don't read charcter descriptions if they're over 10 lines, unless they're interesting. I'll skim longer ones. I started MU*ing in an environment where brevity was appreciated (raw Telnet baby), which is why most of my own descriptions are less than 10 lines.

2. It's difficult to get back into character, because so much has changed. I am enjoying getting my creep on, thanks to @Ashmer.

3. When I first came back people told me that they or their partner remembered my character, particularly how ominous he often was, and how arrogant he was. I hope I can live up to my character's reputation.

• ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited February 2014
    *Erz's description was one character shy of the hard-coded length limit before she ascended and lost all of her scars and tatts and metal-wings and such.

*I regularly hit the hard-coded length limit while crafting. It's roughly 23 lines at 80 wrapwidth.

*I once accidentally overshot the hard-coded length limit by something ridiculous like 50 lines. Unaware that it was a coded limit, Becue tried to override it for me--and it crashed her CMUD three times.

*I designed Alexina some really boss armor that she had to take a nerfbat to, because, again, nearly fifty lines over the hard-coded limit.

*I only rarely hit this limit while RPing, maybe a handful of times ever, and usually only with people with similar emote output.

*While I enjoy the endgame direction I went with Kiralla, and generally like Niuri's addition to such, I feel that overall, these things make her physical state a little hard to describe with any consistency, because everything is always shifting and changing colours on different time-scales. But I don't really know what to do about it, because having it change now seems like a total cop-out to me, and the only logical ways I could think of would involve giving up her Niuri essence, which will happen when the age of Dawn has come and she's naught but a corpse among the fallen.

*ETA: Also, I had to get a dyekit artie, 'cause her clothes/shinies are clashing horridly with her skin 9/10 times otherwise.

*I also hate her current description, because apparently it gives one the impression of atavian type wings instead of faerie wings, but I don't want to SAY faerie wings, so it's a bit unwieldy. Originally, I had thought it read the way I wanted it to--but this came to light as not the case, when @Eleanor drew me my totally awesome and adorable chibis. Annnd several other people thereafter totally came to that conclusion to. So--not sure how to fix it.

*I'm totally considering learning how to PK.

*I totally laugh for like 10 minutes everytime I think about it. Not like. Maniacal laugh, but like, sorta self-demeaning, just like. Silly Kira, you think you could -ever- be good at PK. >.> It's kind've daunting.

imageimage
  • * Going to agree about the alt-sharing thing. Most everyone knows by now that I play the character Rhine, but when I first started out only a handful of people knew. The list kept growing to the point where people I didn't even know were telling people that I regularly RP with and I was just... yeah. I mostly tried to keep it a secret because I didn't want anyone comparing the two as they are vastly different characters (I hope!) in my mind.

* Sometimes I create alts out of boredom. They never even make it out of novicehood and most of the time I don't even register them.

* Periluna was one of those alts.

* My first character was a vampire named Amalia that no one really knows. Nor was she really all that important. Sometimes I miss playing her. Then I'll log on and quickly log off.

• VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited February 2014
    Erzsebet said:

*I totally laugh for like 10 minutes everytime I think about it. Not like. Maniacal laugh, but like, sorta self-demeaning, just like. Silly Kira, you think you could -ever- be good at PK. >.> It's kind've daunting.

It's not actually that hard, to be honest. Aetolian PK is 60% having access to a good system (or being able to write one) and 40% knowing combat well enough to make sure that the system doesn't unicorns the ever-loving unicorns out of you when something unexpected happens. It takes a lot more time and investment in learning, fighting, dueling, and parsing logs to become a top-tier combatant, but almost anyone can become a low to mid tier combatant with not a whole lot of investment outside of the system.

It's not really that fun now that I have a system where I just type 'murder <player>' and then toggle some priorities. I really enjoyed the adrenaline of mashing keys, but I'm pretty sure there are Bloodborn who would teach Kiralla how to become an awesome gankbot if she came back.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I like PK to a degree; I do it in bursts of interest.  Now when I have the bursts, I remember that people do have systems where you can do 'murder Arbre', and all my interest fizzles away.
    Erzsebet
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    edited February 2014
    I'm apparently one of the dinosaurs who still gives esteem. My confession is that, while I am always genuine and honest in them and only give them when I feel the other party is really deserving, there's also selfish part of me that does it because I want them to esteem me back. Same with self-affs.

/slink
    KatsziaAryanneAarbrokBraeSlyphe
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    * I don't like how Aet's time period fluctuates and I get grumpy when modern designs go through the queue (I consider tuxedos, fedoras, pleated schoolgirl skirts, etc, personally too modern). These things impact my 'immersion factor' more than they should. 

* I would prefer to run a mercenary company ala Paksenarrion's world, than the Templar. I feel like there are more achievable avenues through that style of roleplay/organization than with our current deadlock. 

* I am jealous of Carnifex, despite their broken class, because I feel that they can make more of an impact in the game than Templar (even something so small as gathering souls - there's something mechanical/physical happening that supports their cause that isn't completely undone after 30 min repop). 

* I love Knight RP more than I can possibly express. I have a ton of things I want to do within Templar but end up putting them on the back burner because I don't feel others would be interested. I get super pre-preemptively bummed out with how lackluster responses have been, or how inconsistent responses have been, when I've introduced things I feel were varied and provided a lot of interesting avenues. This leaves me self-conscious and doubting myself. 

* If I had a date for Factions, I would be counting it down on my calendar as if it was Christmas, and stay up all night waiting for Haerniclaus to come down the chimney. 

* I wish I knew how to become a more engaging org leader. I feel like I have the potential to be that, but I get in the way of myself. 

* I shy away from RP at times because I get tired of investing in characters, just to have them flake off and not even bother to shoot me a message. I don't like that 'take take take' one-sidedness so I tend to shut myself in until I've recouped. These things feel a lot more personal than they actually are 80% of the time. 

* I like 'people' more than I generally show/behave because that fact in itself just makes me grumpy. Grump grump grump mcgrumperson. 
    Piper
  • Veovis said:
    Erzsebet said:

It's not actually that hard, to be honest. Aetolian PK is 60% having access to a good system (or being able to write one) and 40% knowing combat well enough to make sure that the system doesn't unicorns the ever-loving unicorns out of you when something unexpected happens. It takes a lot more time and investment in learning, fighting, dueling, and parsing logs to become a top-tier combatant, but almost anyone can become a low to mid tier combatant with not a whole lot of investment outside of the system.

It's not really that fun now that I have a system where I just type 'murder <player>' and then toggle some priorities. I really enjoyed the adrenaline of mashing keys, but I'm pretty sure there are Bloodborn who would teach Kiralla how to become an awesome gankbot if she came back.
    Kiralla's nearly a pacifist. Not IC for her to become an awesome gankbot even if it -is- theoretically possible.

In honesty, it's the 40% plus my own attitude about it that's daunting. Buying a system is easy enough, setting it UP would take some doing, because I really have no idea what I'm doing, but even that's not rocket science, I'm sure I could figure it out. I don't really care enough to become top tier, I just want to be able to play my character without just having to accept whatever PK causes I incur in the process. Ordinarily, I just compensate for this by just taunting the person murdering me while they do it, sort've just like 'could you get on with it, I DO have things to do'--probably because this is largely how I feel about PK in general. It's a minor inconvenience to me, at best, and a mild annoyance at worst.
    imageimage
  • *I'm totally probably one of the easiest people to PK despite my shiny artifacts. Mostly because now that Darliea doesn't play to nag me, I keep sun-related cures on my person, analeptic, maybe a vial or two of stimulant, all of the slices ever, if only because those are cacheable, and literally nothing else, 'cept my tree tattoo and skills like Blood Purify.
    imageimage
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    edited February 2014
    I've posted here before, but can't be arsed to check and see if these are some of the same ones I posted then:

• I pk because Daingean should pk, but I think pk, and most pkers, are the worst part of IRE games. The arrogance that comes from being 'good at pk' is often toxic and immensely offputting for me, as a player, to be exposed to
    • The above is why I tend to pk when inspiration strikes, and do exactly nothing related in between - I'm pking because I'm coding my system, and need to.
    • I am nearly incapable of forming new opinions of a person. That means, if a first impression was a lousy one, I probably have a consistent thought in the back of my head that further interaction is a waste of my time.
    • In defiance of the above, I have built Daingean in such a way that he will go out of his way to give people a second chance, if he has the slightest inkling that doing so will benefit his cause. This has led to some great interaction and rp, which in turn makes me sort of bitter at myself for being so traditionally narrow minded.
    • Daingean is short because I wanted him to ride a pony. I wanted Daingean to ride a pony entirely because Beith said he couldn't.
    • I develop and expand upon core facets of my character oftentimes using things that become immensely important to me/them, but also rely on the nature of that thing never changing, or it'll invalidate said facets - an example is just how much of Daingean is tied to his relationship with his sister, and his sister has been 'dead' for sixty in-game years.
    • Related to the above, I am constantly given to wonder how different Daingean would be if one of his core 'things' was altered - if Beith hadn't died, if Turc hadn't written the news posts that entirely solidified his understanding of the Light, if Moirean had actually attempted to become his friend when she was still on the Life side - given his headspace when she returned and how much he truly desired to have a relationship with her, there's a strong chance that he would have ended up going Dark with her if they'd grown close instead of further apart - and a bunch of other things.
    • I often play neutral, manipulative characters. Daingean was a massive change in how I approach both character building and growth, and it's sometimes hard not to take advantage of those opportunities for manipulation when I see them.
    • I so much enjoyed playing a zealot with a devotion that surpassed everything else, my first long-term alt in Aetolia ended up being DarkSideDain. He's since grown away from that, I hope.
    • I rolled a Daru entirely because Aithinne said the bashing was the best on the Light side, and I had to go Light at first for the rp of being her son. I have since become so attached to the guild and its ideals/purpose within Aetolia that I will probably just make a clan and wander around as 'the last Daru' if those ideals/that purpose ever become unavailable through the org.
    • Daingean writes pointless fiction stories with his free time. All of the titles of the stories are puns, and I sometimes wish I actually had the motivation to put them onto paper instead of just using them as 'in the moment' rp, because it'd be hilarious for me to wander into a library in ten rl years and see a book of Xorani-themed smut written by a character generally known for being a no-nonsense zealot. [Tails of Love and Lust, in case anyone wanted the deliciously punny title.]
    • Most of Daingean's non-zealous qualities come from my desire to create an engaging character, because I realized that he was almost unapproachable in his zeal. Many of them are mirrors of my own personality, where his Zealot nature is entirely a construct - some examples would be the above adoration of puns, the decision to name his pet rock Peeve, and the fact that his mail pigeon wears a little gi outfit.
    • Related to the above, I constantly wonder if my sense of humor is bleeding too far over into Daingean's general lack thereof. I find it intensely amusing to have my serious-and-direct character make jokes that he isn't wholly aware of making, but am given to wonder if I'm pushing the line between endearingly out-of-touch and willfully obtuse.
    • The reason Daingean loves Elorin's crafting so much is because Elorin was the first one whose items I saw that I liked - I am a creature of habit, and it would annoy me to the point where I would have to use my client to sub out the names of items that are not the same ones I have always used to fill a role. This is why Daingean's items are almost all artifact by now.
    • I try not to use the same crafters between alts, but if pressed, I could name only three Aetolians in the entire game whose writing style and quality of wares appealed enough to me for me to use them on my character. As a result, I tend to have all of my items for my alts custom made by one of those three crafters - or, designed by a friend of mine who was the 'only' crafter from Achaea that I ever used, and submitted by a capable crafter here in Aetolia.
    • Daingean does not know what you look like. This is because I am slow to adapt to change, and form an image of a character in my head that will last the entirety of our relationship - said image has nearly nothing to do with your character, and it is highly unlikely that I have -ever- read your player description. For example, Nola looks like Ellen Albertini Dow (only softer). Aryanne looks like Rosamund Pike (shorter). Kylan looks like Pat Morita (Exactly like him. You don't mess with Mr. Miyagi).
    • Politics in muds make me angry, and the levels people will stoop to while engaging in politics make me sad. Daingean does political things in keeping with the needs/desires of his service to his cause, but I have found that political rp has done almost nothing but cause me to lose - my sometimes immense - respect for those who tend to be 'good' at it. As a result, Daingean often makes mention of the 'political self' and does in fact treat people as two separate individuals when he feels that they're politically motivated. The only person Daingean has interacted with on a political level that he likes -more- after having done it is Roux.
    • I find it intensely annoying when people buy less than the nearest hundred of a herb from my shop, and wrote a script to outcache things from the shop or transfer things from my personal cache to the shop cache just to get all the numbers to that level.
    • I am more inclined to rp with people who consistently rp in small amounts than I am with people who throw walls of text at me. I will sometimes make an excuse and wander off from an interaction if I feel incapable of meeting the level of another person's emote detail.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    HavenKatszia
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    Daingean said:
    • Daingean does not know what you look like. This is because I am slow to adapt to change, and form an image of a character in my head that will last the entirety of our relationship - said image has nearly nothing to do with your character, and it is highly unlikely that I have -ever- read your player description. For example, Nola looks like Ellen Albertini Dow (only softer). Aryanne looks like Rosamund Pike (shorter). Kylan looks like Pat Morita (Exactly like him. You don't mess with Mr. Miyagi).

Why shouldn't the first impression be at least a semi-accurate one?
  • Daingean said:
    Aryanne looks like Rosamund Pike (shorter). 
    I had to google her, but damn she's pretty! I'm okay with this.

Arbre
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    edited February 2014
    Emelle said:
    Daingean said:

Why shouldn't the first impression be at least a semi-accurate one?
    Because the image I assign is going to overwrite whatever you've written, and I will probably never reference details of a description that aren't made obvious through emotes, if I do that. I have a -terrible- memory, and would be doing 'look person' six or ten times over a fifteen minute interaction, otherwise.

Edit - also because the image assigned tends to, for me, represent the sum of our interactions, rather than a set of physical attributes. That's why I see Nola as a sweet old lady, 'cause most of our interactions when I was forming an image of her went in that direction.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Emelle said:
    I guess I have a related confession: I frequently reference various aspects of Emelle's attributes (both physical and worn) in my emotes because I am paranoid people don't bother to read my lovingly crafted description and strategically chosen accessories.

/sniff
    I've been banging my head against the wall trying to find a way to convey Angwe's height in emotes without making it come off like I'm trying to make him scary. He should be scary because of the things he DOES and the WAY he does them, not 'cause I tell you that he's apparently scary. Note: His height isn't mentioned anywhere in his description and I like the one I already have too much to try and awkwardly shunt his height in there. He's 6"9'.
  • Six foot nine is going to put him at about average, where (endgame) Aetolians are concerned.

i am rapture coder
    ArekaEmelleAryanneKatszia
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Aetolia, where the men are all over 7 feet tall and the women are all hovering around 5 feet.
    IosyneBraeDraimanErzsebetKatsziaMelantha
  • Ingram's an inch over six-one. 

The insecurity!
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Areka's taller than everyone. She and Aisling are Shaq and his girlfriend. 
    EmelleAryanneArbre
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Dask is six foot. 

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."