Quotes & Misquotes: Falling Off of Bridges

Comments

• Erikka said:

Erikka might just have the best parents ever. Ciarelle found a way for her father to be at her wedding. (Backstory, he's leafy for a while) XD

Ciarelle stands here, clutching a collection of lush green leaves.

For some reason I find that to be hilarious.

ErikkaPerilunaArbreTeaniNolaAryanne
  • Aisling tells you, "Treehugger."

=(
    XavinAryanne
  • tattoos @Ezalor

On Ezalor you see:
    Left leg:    Bell         Uses left: 9

tattoos ezalor

On Ezalor you see:

tattoos ezalor

On Ezalor you see:

tattoos ezalor

On Ezalor you see:
    Left leg:    Bell         Uses left: 8

Wait--

Ezalor ceases to wield a delightfully sadistic Iosai flail, securing it to his 
    weaponbelt.

Ezalor starts to wield an eye sigil in his left hand.

Ezalor throws a sigil at the ground which bursts in a flash of light.
    There's a flash of light and you're pulled back into phase with reality.

There may be better Syssin out there.

EzalorOmeiIosyneAryannePiper
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    There may be better way to get those snuggles.
    Iosyne
  • He's missing the bag of popcorn.
    imageimage
    PerilunaHavenAryanne
  • Haha, that's what I said.
    Erzsebet
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
  • I...what. I don't think mages can actually -do- that :(

ArbrePerilunaOmeiAarbrokAryanne
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Xavin said:
    I...what. I don't think mages can actually -do- that :(
    It's Meltas. That says it all.

ArbrePerilunaOmeiAarbrokCiarelle
  • Solaria said:
    Xavin said:
    I...what. I don't think mages can actually -do- that :(
    It's Meltas. That says it all.
    I just. I feel like that's no excuse. Ascendril and Sciomancers aren't conjurers. They're not high-powered wizards or sorcerers. And they certainly don't have mastery over the elements enough to do crap like that. I mean, there is a lot of leeway for what we can and can't do. I personally look at elemancy and, to some extent, sciomancy like element-bending but urgh.

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    So creating a singularity is within reason but flash freezing the moisture in the air to create a chair isn't? Why is it so absurd for mages to have a little outside the box fun? I'm aware of how ridiculous the action is, but having fun is part of the game
  • The trouble is that it's a much more focused thing than a singularity or holocaust globe. Most things in elemancy and sciomancy are in broad strokes. Fist-sized chunks of ice or stone, inherently unstable creations like holocaust globes, or summoned elementals that are fairly raw in terms of shaping. Making something structured like a chair out of ice would require much more detail and finesse than the skills themselves imply.

• BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Just to play Devil's Advocate, what about the staffs? They're created using Elemancy/Sciomancy and they're pretty refined I would say!
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I thought I had seen the last of that sig, could he wear something more than a paper towel?
    OmeiArbre
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    No.
    DraimanEmelleErzsebetOmeiSlypheArbreEleanorPiper
  • edited February 2014
    Benedicto said:
    Just to play Devil's Advocate, what about the staffs? They're created using Elemancy/Sciomancy and they're pretty refined I would say!
    Even the staves are pretty simple, custom staves aside. Here's the description of the standard aetherstaff:

Solid and slightly cool under one's hand, this aetherstaff is approximately four feet tall. It appears as a sturdy length of gnarled wood, yet this illusion does not hold upon closer observation. Insubstantial, flickering tongues of crimson-white fire leap about the entirety of the aetherstaff, whorling about its basic structure that has been kept constant by magical means. Fixed into thehead of the aetherstaff is a translucent piece of crystal shaped into a hollowed-out sphere. Glowing with unmitigated power, the orb is surrounded by swirling spatial motes of blue, red and white.

It's a pretty basic piece of equipment, just barely held together by the mage's power. I would imagine shadowstaffs are similar, though I don't have a description on hand. And if that's the most complex structure an ascendril can form from the elements, with quite a bit of effort, mind you, then something like flash-freezing a decent chair from ambient moisture is, at the very least, going to take quite a bit of effort if it's even possible.

• See, that's why people don't want to be Ascendril. Can't even do cool mage stuff. "I want to be a boring scholar with rudimentary every-day magic skills" said not a single powerful sorcerer-to-be ever. *waits for Xavin to prism/pk him*
    Aryanne
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    I routinely made an ice chair with my sylvan in Achaea - they have magi elementalism. Daingean routinely uses illumination to do things it doesn't do - like melting and shaping metal with his bare hands and creating a little fire person that looks vaguely like his sister in moments of emo. My teradrim often sat on a chair formed by his golem.

I think what I'm saying is that little bends of the mechanical expectations of a skillset can be fun for rp without really impacting the game at all.

Maybe elementalism functions exactly as Xavin believes, and Meltas has devoted a freakishly ridiuclous amount of time to studying how staves were formed and decided to try making a chair out of it. I highly doubt that level of rp exists there, but I could pretend it does for the sake of accepting an emote.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Jensen
  • Chair = 4 icewalls. Tall icewall for the back, smaller/sturdier icewall for the seat, two thin icewalls for the arm rests. Boom, there's a chair.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AryanneMoireanJensenSlypheKatsziaHavenJaslinePiper
  • People have been doing stuff like that with their mage characters since day one. If the lore doesn't match the reality, it is at least as much the fault of the lore(makers) as the players, since the lore came long after.
  • I actually really, really like seeing things like that (generally) in the game. Bringing your mechanical skills into your roleplay makes for an awesome experience that's a lot of fun. Whenever this subject comes up I can't help but think of the Cabalists in general, who are renown for utilizing Numerology and Necromancy in their roleplay to make some really awesome things. 

Does Numerology actually have a skill to turn somebody inside out mechanically? No. 

Does @Eleanor still justify its potential existence with RP to back it up? Heck to the yes, and in the process she adds some mystical sort of feeling to the skillset that the mechanical skills themselves can't come close to doing on their own.

BakhtuhEmelleJensenKatsziaCiarelleJaslinePiper
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    And as @Toz so beautifully explained it, we can make walls. Meltas has been a mage for... how long? Perhaps he's had some time to perfect the skill of making that one particular creation. Much like some shamans can beckon and weave plants into chairs and other things with a wave of their hands in their RP.

I also agree with @Rashar. If you push down on people having fun RP connected to the role of a mage, that isn't necessarily too far off course, you won't attract many people. "Make the world a better place, become a researcher" doesn't speak to everyone. "Throw fireballs (holocausts), weave spells and conjure magical things" is what mages generally do. Might be good to draw some attention to those things instead and incorporate them into guild RP.

• It's kind of a fine line between doing things with skills and doing too much. The chair, in my opinion, was fine. 

If the mage in question conjured up a whole winter wonderland with ice elementals and...snow clowns spewing out icecream, that would've been too much. Unless said Ascendril worked with a Praenomen who summoned a wraith made up to appear as a clown before which hid a phased Syssin standing in front of the wraith's gaping mouth throwing icecream making it appear as if clown-wraith was spewing icecream...yeah. That would work. 

but only with phase
    For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
    and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    Every angel is terrifying.
    DraimanMoirean
    @Bakhtuh, I love you, never change.
  • Except your name, so I quit trying to do $Bahkatu

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

ArbreKatszia
    Tbh, I've forgotten how the guild's name is spelled after interacting with Bakhtuh so much. Good thing it's being deleted someday >_>
    AryanneKatszia
  • I guess I'm wrong and things like that just grind on me. I guess it just bothers me when the extent of a skillset is shown to be one thing and then people do something above and beyond with very little precedent to back it up. It just feels like a slippery slope to me.

• EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    @Xavin: I don't think you're wrong -- I, for one, totally understand where you're coming from -- but I think it's a matter of degree. In this case, while possibly a little excessive given the usual IG lore/mechanics, it was just a random little one-off that was for lulz. If it had seriously detracted from the scene, or was completely outrageous, or was godmoding in any way, those are points at which I think the onus is on the pbase to police itself, and I trust that it would.

But, if there are real boundary concerns here, maybe the admin can help clarify some of the lore.