Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• Ahaha Lizzie. Best thing on the forums in months.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited July 2013
    @macavity belatedly, here's where the issues are:

for gr1-gr2: -You must be able to cure 3 random afflictions. - leaving it open and vague like this means gr1s need to learn the cure for *every single venom* EDIT: Suggestions for this would be giving a list of a few that they must successfully cure, not the entire list, or have folk pick 3 venoms from the list and learn the cures from, and then say why they picked those. 

for gr2-gr3: - Know the proper use of limb breaks and impale. How they are useful in conjunction with one another. EDIT: Suggestion for this and the latter, but have a clearly worded/identified GHELP that covers these things and reiterate places to go to test, and HOW to test - these things should be structured for the combat and IRE illiterate, not alts with assumed knowledge (and everyone has different entry-levels for how naturally they learn these mechanics). 
    - Properly demonstrate a minimum of three attacks. It is necessary for you to know how to use your flail and golem properly. - there's a lot to juggle for people learning this class, between flail attacks, sand, whether you need to summon sand or not, and your golem. Even just this can be a pretty significant deterrent, on top of the lack of scrolls with guidance on the matter, or how best to test and understand what's going on (especially when the guild can be pretty quiet/vacant). 
    - Be able to describe the difference between a golem and other adventurer controlled creatures. Such as hounds, chaos entities, lesser undead creatures, angels, familiars, and the animal creatures used by Sentinels. - when I asked you about this, you didn't really give a straight answer as to what information was needed, and with the complexity of the different entities, the sheer number of them and what they do, this also can be a pretty hefty thing without some sort of framework for what the required information is. EDIT: Suggestion: give some sense of what information you're looking for. IE, "Our golems grow in strength if you work with them, and are superior in how we can adapt them and develop them - find out how others are summoned or made, and how they are dismissed/unmade, or how they compare in fields X, Y and Z." to reaffirm superiority and better target the differences (because those differences as a whole include afflictions, pacts, summoning times, banishment, healing, protection, training styles for carnifex, etc, and knowing those things about every other class is a lot for gr3). 

Moirean
  • edited July 2013
    @Macavity: If I might make a suggestion, you should have a help file giving some basic information on golem lore, such as what it is, how one is made, and why the Teradrim make use of them (feel free to include more!). You can then ask guild members questions that would add onto their understanding of the golem, etc. Much better than asking it to be compared to other guild's entities, which doesn't do much to immerse yourself in the Teradrim lore, because it honestly feels like a mechanical question, not a lore one.
    MoireanValenae
  • TzaTza
    edited July 2013
    To this day I don't understand why guilds insist on having specific requirements that must be met to advance from GR1 to GR3 (or even beyond). Why not give favours for whatever people do if it so happens to benefit the guild? That way people could do what they actually want to do in the game (!) and get a favour for it. Imo, that's a win-win with included positive reinforcement.

I've never used the dirk I had to get for my Syssin interview(s) for example. By now it has happily decayed on me. Total waste of gold. And that's just one thing I didn't need / got rid of again after the interviews were done.

Scrolls for (true)newbs on what to do / get next are useful, but I don't get the point of enforcing that one advancement path as the only one.

EDIT: /derail
  • Tza said:
    To this day I don't understand why guilds insist on having specific requirements that must be met to advance from GR1 to GR3 (or even beyond). Why not give favours for whatever people do if it so happens to benefit the guild?
    Ya, that's how we do it in Bloodborn (and I'm sure we're not the only ones) - we do have a bunch of tasks for those who like an organized way of progression, but if you want to do something different entirely, go ahead.

TzaRiluo
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I dunno, I think advancement paths serve a few useful purposes. For actual newbies, they give a structured way - with inbuilt rewards - to learn about the game and the guild in bits and pieces. For non-newbies, paths can be a great way to reinforce the guild's RP. Eg, knight guilds have you team up with a knighted member you can "squire" or, like with Carnifex, the paths help reinforce that the guild is a military structure where you gotta obey the people higher up.

I'm fairly certain most guilds have embraced a more open-ended approach these days with advancement, with pick-and-choose options or customized tasks or whatnot, giving people variety in work to do to advance. For example, to get knighted, Carni members have to pick 3 tasks from a list ranging from getting level 80 to writing a book to holding an event to winning some ranked spars, and then do some custom task to progress towards their overall goals. Eg if you are aiming for PvP, I might make you stand at NoT for an hour and fight anyone who shows up, after shouting that I'm giving out credits if people can kill you in duels (ilu Kiershu don't kill me). 

These kind of customized stuff for progression can be really fun and memorable, but they really do involve you getting to know the people first - you aren't going to know a suitable way to engage or challenge someone when they are a fresh-in-the-door novice, which is why the generic tasks can be helpful. They let you give people easy ways to interact and get engaged, while couching it within a structured system so the onus isn't on them to hunt down people for interactions (something that is actually kinda tricky for newbies to do in Aetolia) or think up work to do. Interviews are a great chance to draw people into RP and encourage them to explore their character - I know I'll shift things into more of a RP session if I sense the character is an alt just going through the 'yes here is what I learned' motions, and sometimes just promote people if they do something impressive to demonstrate they've earned an advancement.

Finally, simply tossing out advancement stuff is...kinda impractical to propose. Advancement guidelines give the guild's leadership a template to train new players and assess new members to ensure they are getting a handle on what the guild's goals and RP are - and because that template is there, you can delegate work to aides, just by having them follow a help scroll you've written about how to assess an interview. If you ask for every guild to create individual advancement options and engagement for every single member who comes through, you are going to get burnout really fast and lose interest in helping people learn/enjoy the game simply from the sheer amount of work involved - and if you are expecting the new members to come up with the stuff themselves, that's making things hard for actual newbies, as well as more quiet re-rolls. IMHO, having structure there gives people clear goals, makes it easy for the leadership to assess those goals, and gives easy ways for people to get engaged. If alts aren't enjoying that...well, they are alts. They are probably experienced enough to figure out ways to bypass the interviews and stuff. ;)
    ArbrePerilunaMinarael
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Coming back to see they reduced the bleeding non artifacted Bloodborn can do.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    thanks @Areka and @Atrapoema, I am always open for constructive criticism and I will take these thoughts into mind.  
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    I've reached the room limit on my house. The game won't let me add more rooms. :(:(:(
  • Add a house to the south of where your house currently is, and change the room desc to a bridge.

• Since that would cost 250 credits, I would go with the option of emailing Razamataz >_>
    RiluoMoireanHaven
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs

So.. about those artisanals and bardics...

NolaAldricLinTeani
  • Rage rage rage soooo much at wanting to play an alt, but ultimately finding it ridiculously annoying to go from omnitrans'd, endgame character with a few quality of life artifacts/tradekills to one that's level 87, no artifacts, and has two, maybe three skills trans'd tops.

HNNNG.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    KaeusLinEsper
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    edited July 2013
    I rage at the fact that I spent money on a skill that was suppose to make my malus as a vampire manageable. I rage at the fact that after transing thermology, being in possession of all my resistance rings, miasma, and a fucking blessing, 3 holocausts killed my character before it was possible in any way shape or form to react.

Which is even more fucking hilarious, because 4 singularities would make me stick analeptic/eat kidney/mend. Maybe Shift. Maybe.

Edit: This was from full HP to 0 in a single prompt.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Riluo
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    edited July 2013
    I don't use a system beyond firstaid. I go out of my way to avoid lessers. I have seizures from PK spam, so I actively go out of my way to avoid any sort of possible group combat that could set one off. o I was more than a little annoyed when this happened. This is the area leading straight into BL, while I was on my to the city.

[spoiler]
    Within the gorge. (Shamtota Hills.) (3431)
    Filling the firmament is a lattice of heavy grey clouds. A royal blue flag of House Nebre'seir flows defiantly here when the air stirs. An icewall is here, blocking passage to the west.
    You see exits leading east, west, and up.
    H:6439 M:6184 B:100% [eb](west)
    A wall blocks your way.

tumble w

You begin to tumble agilely to the west.
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [p e-]
    You tumble out of the room, escaping your predicament.
    Within the gorge. (Shamtota Hills.) (3427)
    Filling the firmament is a lattice of heavy grey clouds. The steep sides of the gorge lead into a deep and shadowed ravine that plummets perhaps a hundred feet into the hillside. Up through the cavern walls are the various layers of the rock, striated and broken up by the ancient upheavals that caused this range of hills to spring up. Here the ground is relatively level, its plateau occasionally cracked and broken, or littered with a large boulder which has crashed onto floor of the gorge. An icewall is here, blocking passage to the west. An icewall is here, blocking passage to the north. An icewall is here, blocking passage to the east. Brother Dhagon Quintus is here. Lord Protector, Prior Dato Deschaine, Golden Dragon is here, draped with thick strands of twinkling starlight.
    You see exits leading north, east, and west.
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [p e-](north)
    You must regain balance first.
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [p e-]recall mount

H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [p e-]
    You have recovered balance on all limbs.
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [p eb](north)
    You must stand up before you can do that.
    stand
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [p eb]
    You stand up and stretch your arms out wide.
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [eb]
    Dato begins to chant a rapid mantra.
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [eb]recall mount

You place your fingers to your mouth, and focusing mentally on your trusty steed you blow hard, creating a sharp, carrying whistle.
    A roan brumby stallion trots in, beckoned by its master's call.
    mount 201280
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [eb]
    You climb up on a roan brumby stallion.
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [e-]w

H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [e-]
    Dato drops to one knee and extends a hand outwards to the lesser focal point as if in supplication. Tendrils and motes of light begin to slowly arise from the focal point as the extraction process begins.
    A palpitating tremor resonates from the leylines as a lesser focal point is tapped for its energy.

H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [e-]
    You have recovered balance on all limbs.
    H:6439 M:6380 B:100% [eb](north)
    A wall blocks your way.

[/spoiler]

Insert spam of combos from multiple sources here. I know that being in the area of an leyline being tapped puts you at PK risk, but this just struck me as the same kind of behavior I'd expect from people dragging others into guards. Since they hadn't tapped at the time that I walked into the room. They had no reason to think I might be there for the leyline since I never go to them, and it wouldn't have killed them to wait five seconds for me to tumble past the other wall either.

tl;dr: I don't like having seizures, and I almost had one. That scared me, and now I'm shaky and upset because of lots of spam that wouldn't have been necessary if people didn't just jump to PK because lol, they can.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

@Sarita - I'll talk to them, a lot of people don't know your past and I'll give them a nudge OOC. Dato's not a bad guy and probably didn't realize\know. 

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Benedicto
  • It's rare that I complain about things like this, but some of the people who are guides don't have to be dicks. I asked one a simple question in a tell about how often Aetolia has guide calls, and got a snarky answer about asking OOC questions elsewhere.

Tyrai
  • In all fairness, the guide likely doesn't know the answer to that, and answering questions like that isn't the guide's job. That said, it is disappointing to hear their were jerk-facey about it.

• I know it's not technically their job, and i feel like an ass for complaining, especially if that person is here.

But he was about to step down, asked for last-minute questions, and I explained that it was a non-newbie question in my tell. He said it was fine, so I asked.

Tyrai
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    honestly I feel regardless the question and from who it is coming from, it should be responded to in a manner that is professional and polite.  Granted you have no posted what the exact response was, so it is possible that it may have been taken out of context, but regardless, new or old, all of us can use the Guides to assist us if we have a question and they should be thankful they have are doing anything in the pools at all, even though the guides are limited in what they can do.  Things like that can lead to being brought up to the pools completely, it has happened before.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Aryanne
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Moirean arrives from the west.
    [5170(90%)|5542(91%)|28|99%|100%|37%|R:11|S:100%] [HMcsdb -b]
    Moirean quickly flings a tarot card at you through her doppleganger and you feel
    unreasonable lust for her.
    [Tripwire]: Info: 'reject Moirean' added to queue
    You may apply another salve to yourself.
    [5170(90%)|5542(91%)|0|99%|100%|37%|R:11|S:100%] [HMcsdb -b]

[Tripwire]: Info: PVP - Enabled.
    You may smoke another herb.
    [5170(90%)|5542(91%)|0|99%|100%|37%|R:11|S:100%] [HMcsdb -b]
    [5284(92%)|5542(91%)|0|99%|100%|37%|R:11|S:100%] [HMcsdb -b] (+114h, +14e)
    You have recovered equilibrium.
    [5284(92%)|5542(91%)|0|99%|100%|37%|R:11|S:100%] [HMcsdb eb]
    A large, rectangular gateway opens up near you, and you feel yourself
    irresistibly drawn inside.

:/
    The balance is that short?
    Aarbrok
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Yeah it takes me 4 seconds to reject moirean, and less time for her to summon me.
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Does monolith still stop it like monk wrench or not!

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

We had monoliths down, I dont know if they were being picked up or not....
    I know I have a bit of lag on my side, but when you have more than one indo, you get knocked off balance for a long time trying to reject them.  I mean I dont want to see them nerfed into the ground or anything, I just want it to be a little more feasible.
    edited August 2013
    I was the only Indo. You had no monoliths down. Angwe has eq in the log when I empress - before that, he's off eq from something else entirely, but he's not posted that part. Flinging lust itself does NOT take your eq. Everyone is just so darn reliant on their systems rejecting that they seem to think a lust fling means an unavoidable eq knock. It doesn't.

It takes 3 seconds to fling and 4 to reject. If I try a basic fling --> summon, you will always win, because you reject after my fling. You may be off eq, but you've already rejected me. I then have used eq attempting the empress. You're safe.

The only way the balance time can beat rejection is if I sit cycling through lust, trying to get that small window where you're stuck off eq from the first lust and can't reject the next one. I don't have settings to track this and don't do it, so the rejection time really isn't why you guys got grabbed.

It should be noted that I already put in a report last round to help make lust management more simple and easy for those targetted, from a system coding aspect, separating in-room and doppie lust into separate messages. Some people likely don't have this updated yet, and aren't rejecting properly, so you really need to alert your teammates that the message has changed.
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Moirean!

I honestly dont know much about Indo, I reject well enough now...did not before.

It is super frustrating at times to face an Indo because of doppleganger but aside from that I know its really no different than other pulling techniques like wrench.  Wrench actually being perhaps MORE powerful to be quite honest.  Only downfall being in group combat if you reject and are off balance and your team leaves you behind its easy to be picked off.
    You guys get me with wrench every now and then, due to the window of when my mono gets lifted to attempt a pull. If I weren't lusting, yall wouldn't get meeeeee.

For lust, you just have to ensure you're covered if you are doing stuff that takes eq. Ie, you need to predict that you're not going to be able to reject and protect yourself in a different way, ie by dropping a mono or leaving the local area.
    Aarbrok
  • My own holos :(

CiarelleSetneAarbrokArbre
  • Dude, what happened? All I got was Haern's snark and a remark about holocaust in your britches

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
    Aarbrok
This discussion has been closed.