Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Just the combat rankings used to bring 1v1 combat and practice back in the day. Myself, @Daskalos, @Xon, @Xzato, @Mazzion, @Desian, @Exodus etc. would quite happily spar and spar to gain points/gain knowledge and try to cliimb the combat rankings. Now we have a combat ranking system which pretty much consists of a couple of people who will spar around 10 times to gain the top spot and sit there until they reset refusing to spar anyone else. Thus gaining the honors line.

Now i know we have less people active these days and there is a large margins between different tiers of fighters, but the combat ranking system is becoming stagnant and not used to it's full potential. Splitting it into 2 tiers of endgame and non endgame would give the lesser experienced fighters something to fight towards (a shiny new honors line). Also adding something similar to the sect system, removing points from the people who go a period without sparring.

Now i know this won't solve the lack of new fighters and interest  incombat, but it'll make it slightly more interesting for both new and older combatents who wish to take part in the combat ranking system. Just a thought i guess, when the combat system was active a lot more people seemed to want to join in and be apart of it. Now it is just bleh.

ArbreHaven
  • I really don't think splitting it into endgamers and nonendgamers would do anything, considering there are people who never fight at all getting endgame very, very quickly. Let's face it - endgame is one of those things that you need to have to be able to compete in pvp, but it's the domain of the pve players due to the fact that it's simply improbably difficult to hit endgame -just- on pvp, even starting from a reasonable level like 80. Meanwhile you can bash from 21 to 100 in what, a week?

• That is true i guess, though I've never actually tried to bash to 100 again! I just see potential going to waste with the combat rankings, as it did draw more people to engage in combat and gain practice.

Since i've been back, which has been roughly 2 monthsish, i've yet to see an FFA. Freeforalls used to also bring people to engage in combat, especially when a celani would announce a small unique prizes to the winners. Now i don't know if these do happen when i'm not here, due to my british timezone? Just small things which could help people grow interested.

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Yeah, actually, in just the past month, I've seen like, 3 Ere FFAs, and Spines throws one in every once in a while on their own.

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    So you get a super-good bashing friend to drag you along? That's what I did. I hate bashing, but I had a friend who drug me around everywhere she could to help get me to endgame.

I disagree strongly that endgame is the domain of PVE players. The vast majority of us top-tier PKers are all endgame. How is it PVE domain if all of us are Azudim/Yeleni/Idreth?

Oh...it isn't. :)
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Areka
  • Guess it's my british timezone then! :(

Benedicto
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Dourif said:

Guess it's my british timezone then! :(

If you guys are interested in having more, we can certainly make that happen.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    DourifMinaraelMoireanTeani
  • I'm interested in seeing more arena events. 
    imageimage
  • More arena events are always a good thing, sure.

• I agree any of the events are always fun and seem to get people involved.
  • Ishin said:
    So you get a super-good bashing friend to drag you along? That's what I did. I hate bashing, but I had a friend who drug me around everywhere she could to help get me to endgame.

I disagree strongly that endgame is the domain of PVE players. The vast majority of us top-tier PKers are all endgame. How is it PVE domain if all of us are Azudim/Yeleni/Idreth?

Oh...it isn't. :)
    Poor wording on my part. Still, though, the percentage of people with endgame who participate only occasionally in pk is pretty high. Azudim/Yeleni/Idreth are just...what people do anymore, you know? When you were getting endgame on Ishin (if I have my timeline correct)  or when I got endgame (2008-9) it was still something of a slog, even though it was easier than it had been in previous years due to more bashing areas and more rewarding bashing areas. These days you can layer amber orb, chalice and book tattoo and burn through  places like xaanhal/tiyen esityi/etc for xp. Heck, when they were doing the elemental globe promotion, people would get a bunch of those and power bash those elementals because they were crazily profitable in terms of xp.

And don't take this as me saying that's a bad thing. It's really not. Level 100 isn't really something you can do without in aetolia due to everything you get. Stat perks, good inherent racial abilities, access to a widerange of purchasable powers and what amounts to a free house that you can literally do -anything- with due to its created, magical nature. These are things that even people with 0 interest in the pvp environment would desire.

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Hey, @Oleis, would it be possible to view old combat rankings even if you're not in? I don't think I lost a spar back then but I rightfully can't remember anymore.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Lin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Finding out that people (in leadership roles) are patronizing and slut-shaming others for having pretty/sexy descriptions.  If we want to play as an attractive female or even a sexualized one, that's our choice and girls shouldn't be told to change their description or that their description is too pretty or provacative. On top of that, it's a truenewb to Aet being told this - great impression you're giving them of the game.
    MinaraelHavenAryanneNolaEmelleLinXavinHadoryuXenia
  • I have characters that are sexy and characters that aren't. Having a character that is sexy has absolutely no bearing on the -personality- of that character. It gets really tiresome dealing with people's assumptions.
    imageimage
    MoireanHavenAryanne
  • IngramIngram Alaska
    edited April 2014
    There's a person I RP'd with that had a description that left my mouth watering, and they were one of the most interesting, intelligent, and capable RPers I've run across. Probably end up running orgs and rocking the landscape of things in time.

Someone's desc is their business. How they play and what they do is what matters. 

EDIT: Provided their descriptions doesn't force or imply action on the looker's part and whatnot. Common sense stuff

• When literally every member of the leadership is on and yet not one of them can be bothered to respond ages and ages. 

-.-

imageimage
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Zsadist said:
    Oh, how much I love it how some people *coughs Daskalos* think that a shout involves them and feels the need to PK them. Kinda disappoints me to see how self-centered some people are.
    If you shout anything remotely aggressive or offensive, you're opening yourself up to counterplay. Whether it's targeted or not. It would be different if you'd never said anything inflammatory before.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    DourifDaskalosIshin
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    edited April 2014

@Oleis said anything I was going to say.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Ishin
  • Talk shit get hit is the rules of the game, and shouting 'oh why don't you all shut up' is pretty much asking to get wrecked.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

DaskalosIshinCalipso
  • Can you guys stop acting like catty high schoolers on the OOC forum of a text game?
    RaecheCannanArbreLinPeriluna
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life

In rage: I don't see any reason for the vampire sip malus any more. It just seems like a relic from the days of half-health frenzies and nightly bloodhunts.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Calipso
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    My rage: not being in the loop about what everyone is raging about! I miss being able to be on Aetolia!
    SlypheLinPeriluna

• Ashmer said:

In rage: I don't see any reason for the vampire sip malus any more. It just seems like a relic from the days of half-health frenzies and nightly bloodhunts.

The sip malus exists because they wanted to give vampires MEND for ROLEPLAY reasons. The sip balance exists to counteract this.

I think the above sentence might read a bit patronising. I'm sorry.
  • Oleis said:
    For the love of... I posted that to avoid the derail. As in, "don't make an issue of this, because it's just going to result in a pointless forum tantrum." For god's sake, you call the guy Dickrot. He has an out-of-character reason to punch you. I think he might have an in-character reason to fight you, too.
    You see, right here, this is why I need an 'lol' tag for posts.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I rage that I'm forced to bash even though I already got endgame because losing levels affects my PK enhancements at random. >_< I loathe bashing! My plan was once that I got endgame to never bash again. I don't even care to pursue the augment enhancers. Why do this to me Aetolia?! Why?!

I really wish once you got the main enhancement point, you kept it and thus left your essential PK stuff (like +bal/+eq) enhancements unaffected. Losing it at random and waiting for a reincarnation to adjust the loss of stuff blows.

/rant
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2

• Haven said:
    I rage that I'm forced to bash even though I already got endgame because losing levels affects my PK enhancements at random. >_< I loathe bashing! My plan was once that I got endgame to never bash again. I don't even care to pursue the augment enhancers. Why do this to me Aetolia?! Why?!

I really wish once you got the main enhancement point, you kept it and thus left your essential PK stuff (like +bal/+eq) enhancements unaffected. Losing it at random and waiting for a reincarnation to adjust the loss of stuff blows.

/rant
    learn to kill people @Haven :P lol.. and get xp that way
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
    Haven
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Nalor said:

Haven said:

/rant
    learn to kill people @Haven :P lol.. and get xp that way
    If only I could! :(
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • That sounds really harsh.

Man, I know some people love bashing, but for the love of me I couldn't imagine a worse way to spend copious amounts of my free time. Watching paint dry is a close alternative, but then at least I could maybe gain introspection and become a bodhisatva.

Who needs this grind as a hoop to jump through for PK adequacy, really?
    IshinHavenAryanneAngweTeaniErzsebet
This discussion has been closed.