Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• I think it has a lot to do with wanting it. If you're not the type who is willing to message someone with your pats on the back, it's probably going to go a lot slower. I actually wanted to stay cr1 as a Herald just for shits and gigs, but then @daskalos went and favored me.

In Duiran I never messaged with any of my points stuff either. I always appreciate the random favors more than points ones, and that's why I pretty much only favor for that kind of one time stuff, or just continued good efforts. To me it makes it more worthwhile, especially when city rank is pure RP anyway. No privs for it, unless I'm noobing out again.
    ErzsebetIshin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited July 2014
    @aarbrok: You've only been back a few months and you're nearly there. >_>

I guess I go a bit overboard with the CFs - but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. People FEEL GOOD when they get CFs. The system shouldn't be forcing us to acknowledge work less. It should be encouraging us to do it more, like by giving out more ranks to earn or introducing other ways to celebrate citizens. Right now, yeah, I guess I have made CR a bit of a cheap thing in Spinesreach because active citizens can earn CR 6 in a few months...but I really don't want to have to stop acknowledging hard work because the system is outdated.
    Ishin
  • I don't think a few months is too fast, fwiw, as long as they're hard workers.
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    Slyphe said:

I admittedly gave Imperian the briefest of tries and had to write up a few aliases to copy the syntax from Aetolia just because I couldn't stand the change. Emotes in Aetolia > those in other games, clearly.

Truth.

Except for personal emote targeting that makes other people's emotes say "you." I get that for some people this probably makes life easier, but as someone who sees Aetolia as a living novel, this is incorrect. Emelle =! me.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I switched to Imperian years ago and had a blast. Was actually my first success ate IRE consistent RP of characters.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    My issue with over CF'ing is that once you hit 6 then it's like 'ok, what's the point'. Uncapped city ranks plz.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

MoireanJensenIshinPeriluna
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Jensen said:

I switched to Imperian years ago and had a blast. Was actually my first success ate IRE consistent RP of characters.

That was me, too. Now..not so much.

I haven't been back there in like 4 years, so idk what it's like now
    Rashar said:

To me it makes it more worthwhile, especially when city rank is pure RP anyway. No privs for it, unless I'm noobing out again.

10.6 CITYRANKS

Aside from the formal governmental positions (see HELP CITYSTRUCTURE), a
    citizen in a city-state can have one of six general ranks within a city.
    These ranks represent your general status within the city, and as you
    grow in rank, you will have the ability to call upon minor city-related
    powers.

When you join a city, you will automatically be of the lowest rank. HELP
    CITYRANK will show you a list of the city ranks in your city. In order
    to move up in rank, you must be cityfavoured by members who have gained
    that privilege. The favour of the head of the council is more valuable
    than the other council members. However, if these same people find that
    your actions bring shame to the city, they may disfavour you, which can
    potentially reduce your city rank.

The abilities city rank confers are:

Rank # Ability
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 The ability to WRITELOG to the city log.
    4 The ability to PREFIX and SUFFIX lower-ranked citizens.
    5 The ability to CITIZEN people.
    6 The ability to CITYFAVOUR and CITYDISFAVOUR people.

More citypowers may one day be added.

See also: CITYRANK, CITYSTRUCTURE
    I bet Varian wrote that and it hasnt been edited since
    OmeiHavenIosyneOleisIshin
    Yeah...That's why I say toss in some more privs and ranks!
  • Yeah I don't really consider those privs, heh.
  • Why do you not consider those as privs?
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

Solaria
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Anything is a priv that you can do without having to be in a position. When you aren't an aide/minister/leader, you really appreciate some of those abilities from rank. Especially writelog, prefix/suffix, and even favor eventually. Without privs, only officials would be able to do these things.

Ishin
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited July 2014
    I don't think we need more city ranks. While it's not impossible to get rank 6 as it is, (I've gotten it three times in 'loch, twice on the same character. ....six times on one character, if you count being knocked down to five), it is sufficiently difficult that adding more ranks is unnecessary.

I -would- say that back-buffer needs to be added to rank six though.

Right now, if you get favoured up to rank six, even if you have seven favours -past- rank six, if you get disfavoured once it insta-drops you to five no matter who does it.

Would also say more privs are good. And that prev city-leaders should auto-get rank 6 like guildmasters do.
    imageimage
    It's only difficult if your city is stingy with CFs.
    Ishin
    You pretty much have to die a bunch for Bloodloch cityrank. You can get some of it from Ministry work in my experience, and contests if you bother to participate.

It was easier to get position in 'reach than it was to get cityrank last time I had a character there that gave a damn.

I've never really put forth a lot of effort to gaining any in Eno or Duiran, so I can't speak to either of those.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get, in any city. I'm saying we don't need to arbitrarily add on more city ranks.

More city -privs- sure (and -assignable- city privs), sure, but I think upping the number of ranks is pointless.
    imageimage
    Ishin
    It's not arbitrary at all. People are piling up at max CR because it's an old system that we've had since the game opened. The more time passes, the more people will hit CR 6, which means that the rank loses value. More than that, once people are at CR6, it's much harder to reward them to acknowledge/encourage/motivate, since CFs mean nothing.

If some cities are throttling CFs and progression to make rank really hard to get, that's just a sign that the system needs to be tuned and improved. Getting CFs are one of those things that encourage people and invests them in their org (and the game) and makes them feel good about their time spent in Aetolia. Imo, we should err on the side of too many rather than too few.
    IshinElie
  • Wait, which cities are throttling city favors or making rank hard to get?

I dunno if any are, but people are saying getting to CR 6 is way too hard and citing that as a reason not to have any other cityranks.
    I'm not saying it's too hard, I'm saying it's reasonably hard and that we don't -need- other cityranks.
    imageimage
    Haven
    edited July 2014
    I wouldn't mind more city ranks if there were assignable privs. Ie discounts on comms, city shops, taxes, free annual ylem shards, ect... (Edited, phone doesn't like "ylem")
    Moirean
  • I made cr6 in Bloodloch without even pking so it can be done and it only was a few rl months.

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Damonicus said:

I made cr6 in Bloodloch without even pking so it can be done and it only was a few rl months.

Just wanted to point out that someone got CR6 in the pk-prevalent city.

I've never thought getting CR6 was hard. I've had CR6 on Ishin since before I was an org-leader. I think I got it sometime as SecMin like...2-3-4 years ago or some shit, and that was a pretty decent time before Moi's liberalism with favors.

If you guys are having problems with getting CR, either your leaders don't care enough to favor you for your work(which should tell you something about your leaders), or you're just a lazy ass who doesn't deserve rank anyway.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    XavinErzsebet
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    ...does city rank really matter at all? I can't really think of anyone who RPs rank beyond official city positions in any city. That said, while I do think increasing the limit or even making it unlimited would be pointless, I'm not against the idea.

To me, in our game culture, your history and actions in the story set up your legacy, not some number on CWho. I suppose there's potential in making CR mean something but to what end? We have largely organized ourselves around titles and positions. Truly, what'd be the point?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Faerah
    @Haven achievements bro, achievements
    Jensen said:
    @Haven achievements bro, achievements
    But bro we already have that. It's in our honors. It's in our titles. *shrug* I just don't see it changing anything as we don't and never have (or at least in any of my experiences in any of the cities) placed any kind of real importance on city rank.

The privileges are primarily if not completely attached to titles and city positions. Oh, you're a Herald? An aide? A Captain in the military? A minister? Here have x privilege. Even citizenship isn't free of regulation beyond titles and positions either. "Hold up let me ask authority xyz first." We've largely made our cities and player laws circle the titles themselves, so yeah, I fail to see the point/benefit in expanding city rank. Again, I'm not against the idea per se (indifferent really)...just kind of wondering what you all think will happen if implemented?
    havenbanner2
    Erzsebet
    I'm just teasing you
    In total fairness, the 'you pretty much have to die to get cr6' comment comes from having played (and gotten most of my rank during) the reigns of leaders who are less...willing to favour people for doing things. You pretty much had to go raid enorian if you were going to get cityfavours for a long time. It's a lot easier now than it was.
    imageimage
    Jensen said:
    I'm just teasing you
    I know. This is just how I foreplay.
    havenbanner2
    Erzsebet