Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited March 2014
    I don't sit around in events with the same sort of skepticism I do in individual RP. Events are a group clusterfudge and there is a ton of stuff going on, and I try to play in a way that will make it smoother on admin and others - like I said, not deffing, not randomly chatting a bunch about unrelated stuff, etc. I think trying to derail stuff with illusions is akin to going lol and pitting the group (something I learned the hard way is a really NOT COOL thing to do).
  • Daingean said:
    This illusion hate is entirely ooc and smacks of a disinterest in fluidity
    Daingean said:
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    ???
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited March 2014
    Daingean said:

I do not even a little bit understand a desire to have some sort of hard coded protection from you making a mistake because an illusion encouraged you to do so. They're illusions. That is, you see and possibly react to what is not there to react to. Look like a dunderhead? So be it, that's rather the bloody point.

I would assume that such a flag exists as has been mentioned here - if a god/admin is running something and doesn't want wrenches thrown into the cog, they've probably got a command that lets them glue all wrenches to the hands of their owners.
    I thought these were the best points in @Daingean's post.

Roleplaying in Aetolia, even with the Big Guys, isn't an exercise in reading your cue cards. There is no script and you're not graded in points based on how many lines you got spot-on. In the meta sense of engaging in roleplay, there is literally no such thing as making a mistake.

As for point #2: yeah. The Gods can pretty much do anything. If the offending player was really busting things up, trust me, they would have been stopped.

Edit: Added underlining because you can barely see boldface on these forums
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    I think if there isn't a 'no player illusions' flag for admins to drop in a room, that's something that oughta go in. Putting it on the cutscene-room as long as needed would pretty much solve this problem and everyone's happy!

• DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai

Lin said:
    Edit: Added underlining because you can barely see boldface on these forums

I've been saying forever now that the bold on these forums sucks. See, I bolded that, can you tell?

/derail
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

• DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    edited March 2014
    Yusri said:
    Daingean said:
    This illusion hate is entirely ooc and smacks of a disinterest in fluidity
    Daingean said:
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    ???
    I don't see a correlation. 

The request being discussed was one to mechanically bar anyone from using illusions during admin/god events because... reacting to them is inconvenient or something? My signature shows the date that Daingean was created and a tiny description of what he does.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Think it was just a snarky comment about how the original request was for coloured God illusions and in this case Greytolia is being interpreted as literally not having colour.
    Lin
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    That's actually pretty funny. Good one, @Yusri‌.
  • Something like a HELP HOLIDAYS - either listing/highlighting certain 'holidays' (E.g. Day of the Catapult; Coming of the Shadowsnakes; Celebration of la di da) with maybe a short blurb or larger expansion on the day and its implications.

Some seem quite obvious, though I feel it would be nice to have a little reference for both the veterans and the newbies. Plus a base of reference that would make it a bit easier for players to perhaps plan an actual event on these holidays without getting surprised by the day / forgetting when it was.

MoireanCarivahPerilunaAngwe
  • CarivahCarivah Tremble, little lionfish
    Ferrik said:
    Something like a HELP HOLIDAYS - either listing/highlighting certain 'holidays' (E.g. Day of the Catapult; Coming of the Shadowsnakes; Celebration of la di da) with maybe a short blurb or larger expansion on the day and its implications.

Some seem quite obvious, though I feel it would be nice to have a little reference for both the veterans and the newbies. Plus a base of reference that would make it a bit easier for players to perhaps plan an actual event on these holidays without getting surprised by the day / forgetting when it was.
    Can we include the Howling in that?
    I was actually going to do a CHELP about them, but I keep getting sidelined because nobody knows wtf half of them mean.
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Carivah said:
    Ferrik said:
    Something like a HELP HOLIDAYS - either listing/highlighting certain 'holidays' (E.g. Day of the Catapult; Coming of the Shadowsnakes; Celebration of la di da) with maybe a short blurb or larger expansion on the day and its implications.

Can we include the Howling in that?
    There is a thing in game - I honestly can't remember if it was a help file or a book at this point - that explained the various constellations. The howling is related to one of them - the one about the lovers, I think.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • The Howling was explained riiiight heeeyaaah (and again on p.3). Though I suppose if this doesn't gain any steam, we could ask about the holidays there too.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I've been asking for a list of Holidays for a very long time, nothing's happened. I should also point out that I was told "The Day of the Catapult" was not directly connected to the Kerrithrim event, but to some other event involving Enorian and a catapult from days long gone. The catapult standing on the west wall of Enorian that is.

• AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    Aarbrok may or may not have stole that catapult, and it may or may not be in the Duiran CPR now
    Teani
  • CarivahCarivah Tremble, little lionfish
    I remember the Howling post, and I thought it was neat. It'd be nice to have it in game though, not everyone comes here.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Delete illusions.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Other than delete illusions...

Can we get another column for crafting stuff that tells us the actual item type? Lemme show an example..

Design#  Appearance                      Status      Owner        Months        Type
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       1931  a lily embellished case         Autopay     Syssin        74            Case
       2172  a green, googly-eyed pipe     Approved    Piper          66             Pipe
       3056  a small black book               Autopay     Syssin        120           Book
       3336  a hefty shovel                       Approved    Crafters      115           Shovel
       5498  a lion-engraved cigar box       Approved    Canasius    Perm         Box

I think something like this would help us find things quicker than having to try to sort through things by checking those individual designs when the 'short' description is actually too long and you can't really tell what it is without actually stopping to look at the individual design.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Infin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    You can search for specific pattern types already:

<8262/7907h 4372/4648m 30780e 21750w <eb> <db>> <LC:0 ||100|6.93%> <13:54:32:445> design list guild fullplate
    Design#  Appearance                      Status      Owner        Months
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        884  polished, sword-emblazoned ...  Autopay     Templars         20
    Ishin
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Can we have the HOLIDAYS command that shows us the holidays that each of our orgs has, and the date?

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Is there any way org logs could be configured to show milliseconds, too?
  • Moirean said:
    Is there any way org logs could be configured to show milliseconds, too?
    Why on earth would this be needed?
    Arbre
    Because multiple commands can be entered in a second. Millisecond is far less likely to have things with shared timestamps.
    It -would- make it a little easier to create history records of logs.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    What happens in logs that makes it necessary?
    edited March 2014
    In my theoretical example, it would promote lazy, but clean coding. Take this contrived example:

2014/03/13 22:22:46 - Procell: I proclaim House Ve'kahi to be bupkis.
    2014/03/13 22:22:46 - Lin: wtf is bupkis m8

If I wrote a trigger that stored the date and time of a log event such as this one and stored it into a file, Lin's line would overwrite Procell's. Milliseconds would fix this.

Obviously for something like manually-written logs, this is silly and useless, but for some loggable actions that can be scripted (see: when I relied on a single alias to handle my job as Spines' treasurer), you can end up with several things that appear in the same second.
  • So... add an incremental index to your logging. It really doesn't seem like the kind of edge case that justifies bloating the logs out with a fourth time unit.
    Veovis
    I'm not supporting the idea, just justifying it!

I AM ARGUMENTATIVE OKAY
    Yusri
    I don't really think 2 more numbers are a huge visual bloat.
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    He mighta meant it was a bloat in other, backend ways.