Aetolian AMA

Comments

• I want to plaaay. I'm not as cool as a god, though.
    AryanneEmelle
  • TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    Neither am I!
    Tiru
  • Ashmer said:

@Obyn: What is the Ghend?

@Both: What's your favorite thing about being Celani?

What is the Ghend: Asking 'What is the Ghend' is like asking 'Doctor Who?'. You're never going to get an answer and if you do it's going to be mildly disappointing because of the way you've built it up.

What's your favorite thing about being Celani: I'm still pretty new up in the pools, but so far my favorite thing about being a Celani is seeing how things go behind the scenes. Or seeing immediate results from my contributions to the game. The new-and-shiny feeling hasn't worn off for me yet, so I'm having a blast seeing how things go.
    Moirean said:

@Obyn:

- 3 favorite Aetolian memories
    - Best builder's anecdote
    - Worst builder nightmare
    - If you could create ANY area, what would it be? What sort of awesome mobs and stuff would it have?
    - Favorite part of Aetolian lore
    - Proudest addition to the game world
    - Funniest anecdote from hosting an event or making a new mechanic

3 favorite Aetolian memories: This is a tough one since I've been playing for quite a while, and most of them would probably give away who I was, so I'm going to keep away from specifics as much as I can. I can tell you, though, that one of my favorite memories was seeing the release of an area I had worked on as a mortal builder for the first time.

Best builder's anecdote: So this is really more embarrassing than anything, and I have not been allowed to forget it. Relatively early in my stint as a mortal builder I was assigned an area that was a network of underground tunnels. One of my short-descriptions was supposed to be 'Within a pitch black tunnel' or something to that effect. My finger slipped when typing, though, and I hit a 'b' instead of a 'p', don't even know how that happened. And I didn't catch it until after I submitted the area for approval.

Worst builder nightmare: You know, I don't really have anything like this. However, there are a few projects that I have had (and a few of them are still open from when I was mortal building) that just dragged on forever. You hear jokes every once in a while that go something like 'Hey, write me 100 rooms of ocean'. That's how those areas started to feel for me after a while. Monotony is my creative bane.

If you could create ANY area, what would it be? What sort of awesome mobs and stuff would it have?: This one's done already, actually. Take a look around the Forgotten Dome.

Favorite part of Aetolian lore: Aetolia has such rich lore that this question is very, very hard to answer, especially without massive spoilers. So if I restrict myself to non-spoilery things, I would have to say that I am very much a fan of the Idar-Chakrasul-Rahn story.

Proudest addition to the game world: As I said above, I'm still fairly new so I don't have too much to talk about here. But right now I think I would say that if I don't go with my kelki domes, I would have to say it is working with the orcs that left the Sirrocians and headed to Duiran and Areka's village.

Funniest anecdote from hosting an event or making a new mechanic: I have actually been involved with a couple events in my short time in the pools. For pure entertainment, I would have to say I loved watching the players interact with the new horkval queen and her only remaining male after ulangi blew up. The only other incident that really comes to mind would be the release of the Forgotten Dome area. It was the first event I got to run on my own, if you can really call it an event, and while I thought I was prepared, I really wasn't. So much goes on so quickly with even moderately scaled events where you have to split your attention between multiple groups. And after people started interacting with my mobs I realized I forgot to turn off their progs. I definitely got to learn a thing or two.
    MoireanGhend
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    @Obyn - I totally love that story, too. Reading it as a new player really just made me go wow, this is awesome. It's still one of my early vivid memories of the game.
  • Count me in! I like answering questions sometimes!
  • In. Ask me almost anything.
  • I'm all for it, though I'm not sure what anyone is going to want to ask me.
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Come at me bros. Ask away.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Kraz
  • For all of the above.

Why the flying unicorns is "come at me bro" acceptable to use now?
    It's not. Unless it's darkie web. Then ANYTHING GOES.
    Ashmer
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Kraz said:

For all of the above.

What is this post even. If we're better than that phrase, we're certainly better than aimless forums chestpounding.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Ashmer
  • Oleis said:

Kraz said:

For all of the above.

What is this post even. If we're better than that phrase, we're certainly better than aimless forums chestpounding.
    It was intended as a joke. That @Moirean got.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    I'm so out of the loop! This is why I stick to puns.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Ashmer
  • Oleis said:

I'm so out of the loop! This is why I stick to puns.

That must make you one punny guy.
    Ashmer
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Kraz said:

For all of the above.

'cause someone started using 'You mad'.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Kraz
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    I'll also myself into the ring if anyone wants to ask a question.
  • @Keroc I'm curious. What's your favorite arena event, mods and everything, and why?
    Kraz said:

@Keroc I'm curious. What's your favorite arena event, mods and everything, and why?

I'm going to have to be 100% bias here, but my favourite arena game is definitely Survivor.

Why? It's probably the most deepest non-PvP oriented arena game there is. Everything about is designed to make you think and react accordingly to the circumstances inside the arena, which can be different every time you try it. Normally like to ignore the lower tier Survivor waves? Some of them give dizziness which might ruin your escape opportunities against tougher waves. Like to group up with friends? Beware wave three, where a lot of them have AoE attacks and can spawn treants that entangle the entire room, or knock team mates away. Like to run solo? You might just get gibbed by a unique spawn that'll hunt you down, no matter where you are in the arena. To add there's a special difficulty mode that only Divine can host, which can earn you a unique fame line, and there can also be themed Survivor events too.

But if you want to know why I'm bias, it's because I made it.

My favourite mod would have to be the Collapse mod. Namely because it's flexible enough to be part of any arena game and make it interesting. Special mention to the Gods mod though, which was originally something I would custom host using our disease system.
    Obyn
  • I read fame line. I'm deffinately curious now.
    I like survivor a lot, but it feels like RNG plays a big part and lower-level modes can be kinda boring. I think part of that is due more to the flatness of IRE's pve combat though, versus the event design. There aren't mechanics that make stuff interesting, but really just "NOW HE HITS SUPER HARD" to make a mob tricky, which is IRE pve in general. I would love to see the higher waves be more like trickier mechanics versus just a ton of affs and damage, since it feels like a lot of the final victor is about who runs the best/kites the boss into a group/doesn't get an unlucky spawn on them.
    Moirean said:

I like survivor a lot, but it feels like RNG plays a big part and lower-level modes can be kinda boring. I think part of that is due more to the flatness of IRE's pve combat though, versus the event design. There aren't mechanics that make stuff interesting, but really just "NOW HE HITS SUPER HARD" to make a mob tricky, which is IRE pve in general. I would love to see the higher waves be more like trickier mechanics versus just a ton of affs and damage, since it feels like a lot of the final victor is about who runs the best/kites the boss into a group/doesn't get an unlucky spawn on them.

We're getting there, I just finished adding in a taunted flag for mobs.

Perhaps a future idea is that items could spawn in the arena that you could pick up, and they'll be able to cause some of the new mob afflictions I've been building in. Might make it more worth while to go fight the hoards.

I may actually do this, sounds like fun.
    MoireanKraz
  • Kraz said:

For all of the above.

I seriously haven't a clue. Though I have used when kidding around with my friends in public on occasion...

• If you're going to use it in Aetolia at least have the class to upgrade it to a., "Have at me, brother."
    ArekaTrigruSarkisAryanne
  • TrigruTrigru the Bumberton's Delight
    If you said "have at me, brother", I wouldn't be mad, bro.
    SarkisEmelle
  • TiruTiru Come on and SLAM
    I'll answer questions!
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Aishia said:

If you're going to use it in Aetolia at least have the class to upgrade it to a., "Have at me, brother."

By Yudhisthira's teeth! She's right.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Emelle
  • 'Have at me, brother' will rank up among the greats, like 'Don't issue me bro' and 'Do you even gank?'

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

AshmerAryanne
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    @Toz 'Don't issue me bro' = 'Do not file grievance with thine Divine sorts, Brother' and 'Do you even gank' =
    'Do you even participate in bloodsport, good chap?'

I'm open for questions, too!

@Rashar = You're finally allowed a mobile house-wagon. Only caveat? In every room you place it in, it grows curly pink vines and you have to have Rashar wear a ridiculous concubine-boy outfit in order to move it. Would you still want one?

@Moirean = What's your FAVORITE pony?

Aryanne
  • @mariena, That is so unfair.

.. But yes.
    AryanneEmelle
  • In fact, I may want a mobile wagon pet even more than I want a glowing spear of badassery.
    Kraz