MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Well, my town is completely under lockdown with this gunman in the Mohawk Valley. I'm listening to my police scanner, heard shots being fired, and called my boss to tell her about it. The clincher is? I know the guy. Well, of him--I saw him all the time when I was walking around town or working. I've got a fleet of helicopters circling my house practically and there's about five more that touched down at the elementary school.
  • -watches news-
  • That's scary. :(

• And I knew both of the men who were killed at the car wash. No words for this.
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited March 2013
    Blegh. Hearing about things like this reminds me of that movie Rampage. I'd never been so angry watching a movie in my entire life.

I'm sorry, Haern. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • MereliiMerelii Reno, NV DesertFTW
    Nola said:
    The biggest thing about it I have an issue with is that yeah, you're paying the money, and you're an adult. This is college. Its not grade school. A three absence restriction is ridiculous, in my opinion, if you were to have an absence policy. 
    I agree with this. I lost an entire set of credits one semester because my mom was seriously ill and I had to take time off to take care of her. I did all the course work and home work on my own, but they wouldn't even let me attempt the final because I had been 'administratively removed from the course'. I swear it's a ploy to be able to charge those unfortunate to have to take more than three days a semester off for whatever reason, twice. I really feel bad for the people with little kids, cause when they get sick, day care won't take them at all... so then the parents are out of work/school, losing time and money they could be spending to make their little kid better... makes me sad.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I'm not entirely sure on this but I think those policies were instated as a means to protect the teachers' time or something. But I agree nonetheless with what you guys are saying.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • MereliiMerelii Reno, NV DesertFTW
    edited March 2013
    but...they have to be there anyway. It's not like you're the -only- student there? And they're still getting paid, but maybe I just don't understand the finer points of higher education. I'm just security, they don't really pay me to think.

Did I mention I hate people that set their car alarms off at 2 am and let them run for three hours right outside my window? Well I do.

Edit: Also, I hope that this issue in Mohawk Valley ends well...or at least as well as it can. I am sorry Haern.
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    I don't know how it is on larger campuses (I work at a 2 yr technical college, so take this with a grain of salt), but generally the instructors/administration works with students when they have to take more time off than 3 days a semester? There just has to be a lot of communication.

Also, attendance for courses at my college are taken the first 15 days. 1st day attendance, 7th day, and 15th day are all taken, and the withdrawl for non-attendance is formulated from that. It up to the instructors to turn those attendance rosters in, and to also confirm that the students Records generate from those rosters actually do need withdrawn. Some instructors will take all work being done on time as attendance, if something major is going on.

I'm sorry for your situations Nola and Merelii, but it never hurts to start up a convo if you need more time, yeah?

@Haern - Dude, that is rough :(.

Aryanne
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs

My rage isn't so bad as what the rest of you are experiencing but it's still pretty grumble-worthy. I hate working fourteen day work weeks when I'm covering for coworker's vacations, so... open and closing. Esp when people are being absolutely ridiculous.

In one week, I've receieved one psuedo death threat, two threats for lawsuits, and about a billion strange situations that had me pulling my hair out.

• edited March 2013
    Break-ups suck. Especially when the person was your best-friend for a few years before dating and when the break-up is through no fault of either party. Just timing. Even watching it coming from a mile away, like seeing a comet falling and knowing it's going to crash but watching it anyway, it still hurts and feels sudden.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    God, I'm dreading that happening with my current relationship, Periluna. I'm in a situation where we both know good and well it's not going to work out in the long term, but we like that fuck out of each other.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    That sucks. A lot.. I'm so sorry for you all :(
  • @Angwe - Yeah. That's pretty much what has happened. Hope it works out better for you. I think we've decided to just be friends, so all isn't lost. Just still... kinda depressing. Still crazy in love with him. 
  • Just call me Grace...

I tripped and fell on some indoor brick stairs. Ended up with a bruised boob, bruised elbow, gash/bruised shin, and a sliced little toe. Positive side? There was no one at the house when it happened.
    imageimage
    Aryanne
  • Sitting here, 3 hours after a parent was supposed to pick up their kid, on a friday night and her freaking cell phone is off.
    Dhar
  • That's what we in the working industry call 'Overtime wages'.

Take her for all she's got!
    Valenae
  • If she can't pay you then make her work off her debt, don't let her just apologize. I'm sure you've got windows to wash, kids to watch so you can take a day off or a sex swing in the back. (Kidding)

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• Spring colds, along with my voice slowly but steadily fading away D:
    Dhar
  • The latch on my car door has (again) decided to get stuck. Usually I can fix it. This time? Nope. So, I drove home with an extension cord through the window and hooked to the passenger headrest. I was happy with my macgyver-ing skills, yes, but having the door partially open all the time means unhooking the battery whenever I go anywhere. Can't wait for this to be fixed.
  • edited March 2013
    Today I got a random gas bill in the mail for a $89.00. Through my program everything is supposed to be lumped together- uts and rent. After the sequester every thing became a hot mess of wtf. Uts for people on section 8, yes, even people who have been in state custody, are now considered separate from rent meaning that we have two bills, reduced rent and all of our uts. That means that I have an extra $215 that has to come from somewhere. After the payroll tax increase I only make roughly $800.00 and after doing the math my monthly bills come out to $759.00 and that's not including my other misc. expenses. I have to take on more hours but to do that I have to open up my schedule because as it stands I work full time at my job and take classes. Unless I can come up with another plan relatively quickly I could be looking at dropping out of school.

For the first time in three years I don't have a savings. I'm making cuts to my expenses wherever I can and I'm taking on more hours. I feel really frustrated because while I was going through these programs they told me straight up that the reason this program exists is to help people get a leg-up and be comfortable while completing a degree program so they won't be in the same situation again. Now, though, we're getting letters from BHA saying that the next wave of paperwork is going to only make things worse. In October I'm going to be reevaluated again but this time they will count the whole sum of my income. I feel like I'm in a sinking ship and I know that I'll find another a job that pays me more but its looking more and more like I'm going to have to drop out of school for a little while. What pisses me off even more than my own situation, though, is that the people who haven't gotten a chance to earn an AA and get a better job, where does that leave them? 

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• Haydyn said:
    Just call me Grace...

I tripped and fell on some indoor brick stairs. Ended up with a bruised boob, bruised elbow, gash/bruised shin, and a sliced little toe. Positive side? There was no one at the house when it happened.
    I slapped a knife at work today. We can be friends.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Haydyn
  • Bruised boob!?

We must see the boob. For medical reasons. It could be serious.
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I thought I'd managed to make it through the winter without getting sick.  Nope.
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    I'm not sure if this really counts as mad, but it is a botherance. So I do tutoring for someone, and she owns a gallery cafe. She asks me all casual-like if I want to do an exhibition- well, sure! Sounds like fun.

Except she sure didn't mention the $300 they want from the artist to cover the opening night (I could cater it myself for way less!) and insurance (like I care about that). Would have thought taking a commission on sales would be enough. So now I've got to decide if I want to drop that much on it, which kind of sours the whole idea.

• IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    I'm sorry Elea, but everytime I read your posts, your hyper-active awesome Australian laden voice plays in my head. Every. Single. Time. 

>_>
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • I'm mad that there are all these other Australians playing but they're all on the east coast.

Perth keeps screwing me over! :<
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Imagining me constantly in podcast-rant-voice is a fine thing!

Also the Outback SteakMeet still needs to be a thing. But no, it will not be held in Perth.

• edited March 2013
    boo to the west coast [-X
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    I sense a banning in the near future... *eye*
    IllikaalEsperAarbrok