MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Got a really cute pullover a while ago that seems to have the worst luck. Today, I put a little hole in the pocket, sneezed into my arm and apparently had a bloody nose. I washed it, dried it, put if back on and then drew all over my boob with a pen. Yooooo this sucks.

AryanneTenshyoIshinEydisTrager
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    My computer is on the way out :(
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Didi
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    Inconsistency. Most notably in rules, and in work.

Also the new break policy my work has implemented which means I only get a break a third of the time when I'm supposed to.
    imageimage
    Didi
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Erzsebet said:

Inconsistency. Most notably in rules, and in work.

Also the new break policy my work has implemented which means I only get a break a third of the time when I'm supposed to.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that's either state or federally mandated, so..may want to look it up and start asking some questions.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    AarbrokPerilunaAryanne
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    There are Labor laws that require you to adhere to standard break procedures, It is slightly different in each state I have worked in but there are federal expectations, I would read up and make sure they are following, thats a lawsuit if not.
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    I am by law required to have a 10min break for every two clients I see and 45mins for lunch. I get paid for them but it means I do not get to do my paperwork fully some days :(

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

My state requires us to get one 10 per four hours of work, I'm fairly sure. My place of employment, until this week, was giving us two fifteens in a full shift. Of course, my place of employment also schedules us for 7.45 hours a day so we're not required to take/they're not required to give us, an unpaid lunch.
    imageimage
    IshinAryanne
    Oh wow, thats pretty bad I know in California if you work more than five hours without a lunch its a violation and Oregon it is six, thats pretty terrible D:
    Ishin
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    As a general rule, labor-related laws in the US are pretty sucky and can really screw people over if their employers take advantage of things like scheduling people right up to the bare minimum of time requirements before certain things kick in like @Erzsebet mentioned. I used to work as a substitute teacher before the ADA was passed, and the state or county required some benefits for full-time people (40 hours a week), so naturally the most time we could work was 35 hours a week. See also: lack mandatory vacation, paid sick time, etc.

In other news, today was so hot outside that I hurt my fingers opening the car door. I had to wear pants to avoid my thighs getting cooked on the car seat. Leaving the air conditioned house to get in the car made my glasses and cell phone steam up instantly. Right now the outside temperature is still around 80, and it's going up again tomorrow. Gotta love summer.
    edited June 2015
    We had a high of about 106 today, and it's 101 now, at 9:00 at night. So I feel you! Especially since the road that the bus I take is under construction, so they've stolen all of our nice, covered bus spots and shifted us into direct sun next to a pole an extra 5 minutes walk down the road. Even worse since I go in at noon when the sun is as high and obnoxious as it gets and the nearby buildings don't offer any measure of shade.

My employer seems to be under the delusion that they're doing us a favour by not forcing us to take a 30 minute lunch. Of course, with the way they've set up our hours, sometimes we don't even get the one break we're supposed to because they're prone to sending people home for low production as defined by the average number of surveys per hour people are getting. SO glad they're moving me into NIS so I don't have to deal with that aspect, at least. Allegedly we're supposed to be getting 35-40 hours a week, but I got 25.5 last week, and some of my co-workers got as little as 7-9 hours. They've been sending us home both for low-pro, and for being -too- awesome and getting too many surveys.

ETA: Suppose I probably shouldn't complain too much about 106. It'll be 109 tomorrow, 110 the day after, 111 on Thursday and 112 Friday and Saturday before it slowly starts heading back down to the 109-108 range. Just keep telling myself, at least it's not Texas--it'd be this hot -and- 98% humidity, instead of the 1% humidity it is here in Vegas.
    imageimage
  • I work for a small food manufacturing company, making local produce and such. Been here a little over a year now and I've loved every moment. However, these last few weeks, I've found myself growing more and more frustrated with how the company is run.

They complain about not having enough customers, yet the only advertising they do is through facebook, which is basically just followed by their friends and family. When I first started, when I was still enthusiastic, I gave them a huge list of companies that could be possible customers. That list has not been touch.

They keep giving excuses as "I don't like contacting people over the phone" or "We are waiting for a pamphlet with information, but you see, I'm going on vacation now, and then the contact at the printers will have his vacation, so we might get it done in September."

They don't communicate with eachother. At. All. Two weeks ago, we were told to do stuff for a fair that is this coming Sunday by the top boss. But when she was away, boss number two said that there was no rush, despite me pointing out that we needed stuff done. Top boss came back yesterday, wondered where all the stuff was, and I had to double up on work to hopefully make ends meet.

I had the opportunity to get all summer off... Instead, I am stuck in this place that keeps dragging me down, because I can't just stand back when I know there's stuff to be done. I work until all the work is done, even if the rest of them just stand by, looking like idiots. Five weeks left until vacation. Can't wait for those two weeks..
  • edited June 2015
    I got a super offer for an internship in San Diego that I could do from home, which is absolutely awesome since it'll give me all sorts of skills to apply to the type of job I want to do when I graduate, and it'll start forming connections out there, which is also great since I'm planning to move that way in December.

To take said internship, I had to cut one of the 3 pharmacies I work with out of the rotation in just about three months. Evidently this was a very big problem, and a bunch of small things that happened over the last week regarding scheduling were blown up by the manager that's peeved she'll have to hire somebody, to the extent that I had a sit-down with the owners of the company.

I've been with this company for 6 years, but that meeting essentially was nothing but the owner flat-out berating me with comments such as:

"Six years means nothing, we have people that have been here for 15." (I'm 22, c'mon. 6 is a big deal. Perspective.)

"All the extra work you've done for us (including running/managing/promoting/staffing a sale that raised $1,500 in a single day on stuff we were going to throw away) doesn't really matter, eventually somebody would have gotten to it."

"You've done good work, but we're human, and we focus on the short-term. If you'd ask me for a recommendation for another job, it'd probably be a bad one."

"By telling people that you want to move when you graduate in December, you're spitting in the face of the company after all we've done for you." (As if it's expected I stay there forever)

And loooots more. I didn't get a single opportunity to defend myself, or hear what I've actually done so bad. I wanted to walk out right then and there, and I still don't want to be there, but I need it to pay my bills for next semester.

HNNNNNNNG.

/endrant
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    EmelleTeaniIsande
    @Aldric - Tell'em to eat a bag of dicks. If their comments are anything to judge by, such as 'we focus on the short term' one, then they probably aren't a largely successful company either. Honestly, man, you're better off not working for a bunch of people like that.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    AryanneMephistolesEmelleAarbrokMarienaIsande
    Speaking of employment, I had a job interview this morning. I scheduled it for 9:00, which is what the notification/confirmation for it told me. It NEGLECTED TO TELL ME IT WAS NOT 9:00 IN -MY- TIMEZONE, so I missed it entirely and didn't realize til I submitted a technical error for their software not letting me in 5 minutes early like I was supposed to be and saw the timestamp--in mountain time. I am beyond pissed.
    imageimage
  • @Aldric : That's horrendous. Try thinking of it as their way of telling you it's the right decision to leave.
    AryanneDidiTragerIsande
  • Yeah, well, I was sticking it out because I had bills to pay, and I needed to get that taken care of first. I bit the bullet and took out a small private loan today (with a good interest rate) that'd be enough to cover my bills for next semester so that I don't have to worry about work, and can simply focus on passing all of my classes the final semester (so I'm not stuck another) and on pumping solid work into this internship.

I'll be hopefully putting in my 2 weeks this Monday.

Best thing is, the gist of the conversation was about how replaceable I was. Well, I'm going to give them the opportunity to do just that. When they're left with no other choice but to hire 3 people to replace one, since I filled a staffing deficiency in 3 different pharmacies, maybe then they'll think about it a bit. But that's not my problem anymore.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    KerrynDidiIsandeIshinEmelle
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    My neighbours are so prickly. Like, yes, I made a little noise after midnight in the hallway. Yes, I can understand how that would not be nice. However, my cat did a terrible thing in the catbox and I am NOT living with that smell for the rest of the evening. If you do not want me disposing of it in the trash room (which is supposed to close at 11), then I will just hang the little baggies of Percy treasure on your door.
    OMFG SHE DUMPED THE TRASH AT MIDNIGHT. WHAT A BITCH.

I just got told to come home at like 9:40. Come back at 12:30. Man if you're gonna send us home 'cause the current is fucking up, just fucking send us home. Jesus.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    Bit shitty with the cryptic chests and the nonstop coloured amulets and slices. Very crappy indeed :(

Personally a bit surprised that they didn't change out the contents with new relics and such, since we've had access to these for months now. Ohwell. Is what it is.

Things I'm actually grr about:

Been nauseated for the past two days. Still nauseated. Still feel like passing out--and that's inside, in the air condition, without physical exertion. To get to work I get to go walk a mile in the sun and heat. Ordinarily is fine, but I feel horrible so even the prospect is making me extra grumbly.

Minor grumble, since we did end up finding a place and we don't have to hunt anymore, in the apartment hunting we did on Sunday, we went to a place and the dude there was like 'no pet deposits, no security deposit, no fees of any kind, pretty much zero down except the first month's rent to get into the apartment' but he didn't have a three-bedroom to show us, said he could show it to us tomorrow. So Monday, Reux goes down there and the woman there basically says not only is everything he said bullshit, they don't have a three-bedroom at all.

imageimage
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Usually I don't feel like I want to go home, have it over and done with, but this time I do, which is sad. At least I'm keping up appearances in front of the students. I don't think they know just how much pain I am in or how much trouble they are causing when they show up 50 minutes late, or not at all and can't be reached.

So, after a wonderful two and a half weeks working in Brighton, I can say this:
    - Bournemouth > Brighton (like... by a lot, though the Royal Pavilion was awesome and I got to visit Oxford)
    - These students have been more troublesome than any of my other groups the other years
    - Ending my trip here with a massive tooth ache, an infection and needing a root canal sucks!

• edited July 2015
    Two people quitting at work leaving me to work 47 hour weeks + no internet at work to do schoolwork after my client goes to bed + catching up schoolwork after my dad has been sick = a disgruntled Eydis.

(Spinesreach): Xiuhcoatl says, "Oh man, grab the children-corn. This is gonna be good."
  • I'm going to be around for a few days in and out saying my farewells to a few good friends in the game. I will not be returning to Aetolia afterwards, so if any of you would like to say bye beforehand, hit me up.

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    :( Are you ok?

Nola said:

I'm going to be around for a few days in and out saying my farewells to a few good friends in the game. I will not be returning to Aetolia afterwards, so if any of you would like to say bye beforehand, hit me up.

Bye Nola :(
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Nola
  • @Riluo I'm okay, not exactly happy, but okay. I always said if something happened to the Daru, I wouldn't have much reason to stay, and that still stands. It's time for me to move on. Maybe I'll drop in now and again to update, but I don't want to leave behind any expectations.
    DidiFaerah
  • I'm sorry Nola. I'm hearing alot of Daru members are upset about the burn. I hope you come back at some point or maybe decide to stick around. In either case, always take care of yourself and dont forget about us. :smile:
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

NolaIshinFaerah
    Will miss you Nolalalala. <3
    imageimage
    NolaEmelle
    edited July 2015
    Join me @Nola

I will even share and we can be like...

<3
    RiluoNolaFaerahEmelleIsandeAsaraiiDidi
  • Bye @Nola! Shame we never got to talk much, think the only time we crossed ways was when I returned that horse body someone killed. Still, I know you've been a presence on lifer side for a long time and I wish you the best!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz