MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• Zsadist said:

-.- Imma be even more pissed if it truly is a faulty fan. -.-

The biggest cause of removing heat from your computer is the heatsink, CPU's usually run somewhere around 60 degrees Celsius, or 140 F, the fans help disperse that heat away from the heatsink. There are multiple reasons that it could be shutting down, a bad fan is the most common, but it could be a poorly seated heatsink, poor/no thermal paste as well as even a shutdown command being run by a virus/spyware (shutdown -f -t 01 will turn off your computer if you're on PC) You may want to install a temperature monitoring software so you can see what the temperatures are like - Speedfan is the one I usually run, keep in mind that some of the temperature sensors will not work properly as they don't exist. http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

• Most computers, if they are shutting down because they are overheating, will display an error message on system resume stating as much. You'll see a lovely black screen that looks like DOS, saying 'The computer shut down because it got too hot' or whatever.

Something I personally had trouble with is Windows Update, which likes to decide it can shut your computer down whenever it feels like, to install updates. You can turn that off in the control panel, just got to remember to shut down on occasion so updates install properly.

Keep an eye out for error messages/any indication of WHY it shutdown, though - there are lots of potential causes so it's hard to say for certain.

/IT

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• I work on computers fairly regularly and have never seen issues with heatsinks. Fans yes, with them getting clogged and whatnot, but not a heatsink. So I've no idea how to fix that, if that even IS the issue. FYI, I have no clue how to sodder, so if it requires soddering, I'm done. Kinda hoping its not a virus, and don't think it is, considering AVG 2015 isn't picking up anything after 5 scans. :/ I'll try the temperature gauging for a little bit @Mael, see what I come across.

@Toz, Thats the thing I was expecting is some message upon bootup saying why it shut down. But that doesn't happen. Just shuts down, and when I turn the computer back on, it boots up like a normal process. I don't think it'll be an update problem as I have had the update patches to be installed by me when I choose them to be since I first got the laptop.

However, its completely random. I'll turn my computer on and 5s later, it'll shut down.... or I'll turn my computer on and it'll stay on. Or I'll have been on it for 5 hrs and it'll turn off. If the shutdowns were more consistent, then I MIGHT be able to do P.O.E to figure out the problem, but with it being absolutely fucking random... i've no fucking clue. -.-
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

• Might have a failing power supply, if it's coming on for a little and then shutting down.
  • @Zsadist Computers don't require soldering anymore, it'll be a ZIM module for the CPU and some tension screws holding on the headsink to the CPU. It may or may not be accessable through the chassis easily, if it's not... it requires dis assembly, and I would not recommend that, I replaced laptop motherboards, cpus, etc and I still don't like disassembling laptops, it's difficult to ensure that you have no issues and get everything done right.

@Obyn makes a good point about the power supply. With a laptop it's very rare to have it be an internal problem as the Power plug hooks into a circuit board directly. Power supply is hard to check, but one of the best ways I've found is to remove the battery, and use your computer as normal, this will stop excess power being provided from charging the battery, so your first issue with power will knock it off immediately, and it won't turn back on without tweaking cables typically.

If you look at the power brick it should have a power indication light, if that light goes off, it could be an issue. It could be an issue with the connection from the wall to the adapter, adapter itself, or the outlet you're using. Potentially if you have a lot of devices hooked up to a surge protector it may be that when all the devices are running, you're not getting enough juice through so the battery is not charging and turning off when it runs out of juice.

With not giving a notification when it turns back on, this is error handling in the bios, and can easily be disabled by the manufacturer, and the low battery warnings in Windows can be disabled as well.

Hopefully that helps!
  • TozToz
    edited February 2015
    @Zsadist, also try hitting it with Malwarebytes, that's my go-to (and work's go-to) for virus scanning. AVG/Avast!/whatever else you feel like using for passive blocking, Malwarebytes for when you're pretty sure something got past and you wanna find it.

EDIT: Oh and derp, check your event viewer. On 7, open up the start menu and type in event viewer and it'll come right up. Go to Windows Logs -> System is your best bet, but Windows Logs -> Applications might have some fun stuff going on too. You're looking for anything labeled 'Error', 'Information' is usually not related to issues but just stuff happening, and even 'Warning' isn't so big a deal normally.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Random depression, apropos of nothing. :/

Just. Urrgh.
    imageimage
    ArbreMalokTeani
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Letting little things get to me.
    KendriObyn
  • And here I thought it was good for you too, @arbre.

<3
    EmelleArbre
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Rashar said:

And here I thought it was good for you too, @arbre.

<3</p>

If it's a 'little thing' it's not good for her. :( Shame on you, Rashart.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Malok
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    I enjoy that 'Rashart' is catching on
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    The enter key on my keyboard is broken. It looks like there won't be Aetolia for me until I get a new one next week.
  • I'm going through another phase where I have ridiculously stupid/stressful dreams. The thing is, I'm not stressed, I've been flying high in a fantastic mood, laughing alllllll day and even having fun at my pt job. This is getting stressful :[

Two nights ago I had a dream I wore my space invaders tie to my booze sloshing job, walked in, and some hot guy had a space invaders shirt on (bigger space invaders) and I was all like 'ohai boo boo' and he was all 'I WILL DESTROY YOU' and we got into a huge Mortal Kombat style fight in the restaurant part of the bar.

Last night dream I'm at a hotel on the ocean and it's split halfway down the middle, one side snowy and nasty one summer and sand. This woman is like 'so pissed at my husband he likes it frozen I made them move our room!' so I'm all crap dude, I'm doing that. So I take my floatie down to the ocean with them, And I'm kinda trying to float on the ice and look into the summer part cus there's suddenly a huge icy waterfall I don't want to float into, but I see FISHIES and stop paying attention and float down anyway. Psure I'm going to die, but land on grass, look up, I'm outside behind my pool, the old man neighbor is bitchin at me for being in his yard, I call him a fecking douche and storm into the house and my roomie is just like 'where the feck you been?'

IshinAshmer
  • So I'm still stuck with my evil bitch step sister who I am now convinced has brain damage of some sort. She got 2 wild baby pigs from a friend and brought them home for her son. Cute yeah w/e. But she's convinced they're house pets. That we can house train them. I'm sure we could but we're (everyone else) not doing it. No one else here wanted the damn things and she's not doing anything with them. She won't take them outside, she bitches about having to clean up their mess, she wants to yell at the dogs when the dogs start playing too rough with the pigs, blah blah blah I'M ABOUT TO HAVE BACON WITH MY FUCKING EGGS TOMORROW I SWEAR TO GOD. This is disgusting and stupid and my step mom and myself are literally starting to take fucking shifts on cleaning up after the pigs. This is just seriously fucking stupid. Who does this. Why. Wtf is wrong with her. We don't have a pen to accommodate them because we didn't even know she was getting them so we never built one or bought the materials to do it, and she won't cough up the cash to do it even though she just got a settlement for over 50k and she throws a god damned fit when we throw them outside and leave them there. She is a grown ass woman with a child, I wish she'd pull her head out of her ass and realize that and quit being so stupid.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

IshinPerilunaAryanne
  • @Draiman, This is going to be cruel and mean and I hope you don't take this comment as going to be dogging on your family, but some people's brains are just permanently stuck on stupid.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

PerilunaTeaniTragerNolaIshin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Does LAX just induce a level of grump/rage with anyone else?
    MoireanVolka
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I wish I called out of work today. This snow is getting crazier lol. I can only imagine what NY is getting 
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    AshmerValenae
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Seeing Fifty Shades of Anything right now just makes me obscenely uncomfortable and angry on several different levels.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

AsaraiiAryanneValenae
  • One of my childhood heroes passed away yesterday... I want to see him protect others in need in his afterlife.

Haven
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    The stupid Pontiac G6 GT apparently takes special wiper blades. 17.95 each of special wiper blades >.<. My $25 oil change turned into $56

Ishin
  • edited February 2015
    Ashmer said:

Seeing Fifty Shades of Anything right now just makes me obscenely uncomfortable and angry on several different levels.

Don't get me started.

This is my rage too. I'll try not to get too high up on my soapbox here but it doesn't represent the kink community very well at all. If you mention 50 Shades at a munch or other kinky event, people cringe. I run two classifieds groups on fetlife for my community and the amount of angry posts/dating violence/sexual abuse in general always spikes around media coverage of related 50 Shades stuff. Likewise, we get newer kinky people showing up to munches mystified by talks about personal limits and other subjects like consensual non-consent. It's great that it gets people curious about exploring their yums but when it misrepresents abusive, creepy relationships as the kinky norm it works against both the community that has long been stigmatized, and the people who are looking to engage kinky lifestyles since we have very few ways to educate on safe and inclusive play.

tl;dr: ugh.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

IshinMoireanAshmerAryanneRivasErzsebet
  • Hate that I paid a lot of money for college classes. One class is Mondays, we had MLK off and last Monday off due to the blizzard. Today class is done an hour and a half early, and I'm sitting in my car waiting for my next class. Rocking out is cool and all, but I'm paying for you to teach me, and I WANT TO HAVE THE TIME I PAID FOR. 

Also hate that now I'm tired from being bored and didn't have time to exercise today so I'm stiff and crabby. 

And roommate drama. She has no coping skills and can't get along with people to save her life, then makes obnoxious Facebook posts about it. She's considerably older than me. I worked allllll weekend, get home last night and she's wasted and immediately starts bitching about it. You texted me about it all day and I hate talking. Especially about drama. Let me sulk to my bear cave and enjoy silence and wine pls. 
    IshinMoireanAshmer
  • @Asaraii I'm sorry things suck and people suck. Triangle choke life.
    IshinMoireanAsaraii
  • Thanks @Colette love you boo boo
    Colette
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    The connection in my apartment is really bad. However, I can cope with the internet sometimes dropping or being slow. What I don't like is that the cell phone connection can sometimes drop completely as well, which means I sometimes can't be reached by my employer to get work! This happened this morning. I only got a text message saying that they had tried to reach me, which means "Yay work!" but since I didn't answer (didn't get the actual call) the work was sent to someone else. :frowning:

• I want to quit my job and run away and find someplace to be free and happy.

I wish it worked that way. You think things might be getting better and then they don't and you're just dragging yourself day after day through it. I want a resolution to these feelings. It's that constant question of 'Am I stronger than the pain, or is the pain stronger than me?'. I miss the person who has long been a part of my life, and it hurts with or without them. I suppose this isn't a situation with a 'win' option, I just wish I could determine the 'better' option and have the fortitude to deal with it.

That being said there are things I want to do, alone, that an individual close to me, who wishes to fill that spot in my life when it becomes available, wants to participate in. Instinct tells me to just do it myself regardless, because its what I want and it's plans I built for myself without anyone else included. And that's what I need. I don't need another joint venture that relies on a second party. What if something falls through? I'm frustrated with this. Its delaying my plans which hinders my motivation and momentum that I can't afford to lose.

So why do I keep feeling obligated to include people in my life out of caring for them, and how would I approach the delicacy of someone else's hopes.
    Periluna
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Valenae said:

Ashmer said:

Don't get me started.

This is my rage too. I'll try not to get too high up on my soapbox here but it doesn't represent the kink community very well at all. If you mention 50 Shades at a munch or other kinky event, people cringe. I run two classifieds groups on fetlife for my community and the amount of angry posts/dating violence/sexual abuse in general always spikes around media coverage of related 50 Shades stuff. Likewise, we get newer kinky people showing up to munches mystified by talks about personal limits and other subjects like consensual non-consent. It's great that it gets people curious about exploring their yums but when it misrepresents abusive, creepy relationships as the kinky norm it works against both the community that has long been stigmatized, and the people who are looking to engage kinky lifestyles since we have very few ways to educate on safe and inclusive play.

tl;dr: ugh.
    Having read all of the books, I have a difficult drawing any sort of, "This is the norm" from the series. We could start with the self-made, insanely rich entrepreneur randomly deciding to prey upon a completely ordinary college girl, but hey, that could happen right? I could probably cite another dozen off-the-wall parts of the books that are in no way normal or happen day-to-day, but tldr;

I don't see how many people can draw conclusions about the kink community through something so ridiculously and outrageously MAKE-BELIEVE. Not to say I didn't read and enjoy them, but my superior powers of deduction (or the control-fed, abuse-nurtured, stunning/perfect specimen of the man cleverly dubbed 'Fifty') led me to view it as just that: fiction.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• If people are reading those books or watching the movies (haven't seen that yet, only read the trilogy) and equating it with the norm, then a) they're probably absurdly impressionable and unwilling to actually dig into the lifestyle in any way, shape or form. And b) probably inherently uninterested/incompatible anyway. Which is cool, to each their own.

I can see the frustrations, but.. at the end of the day, what's it going to matter? Looking for that special someone to join you in your kink, and worried that they'll be adverse because of some books or movies? Clearly, they were not intended to be your life partner. :P

And I don't know many people that go around talking about being into anything of that nature to random strangers or casual acquaintances. Anyone beyond that likely knows and (hopefully) trusts you.

Sage input for the day. Also, my foot hurts.

• Feeling like a newbie again. D: