Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    That's actually a thing! Like your brain is easily able to tune out two people talking but one person talking to themselves makes you uncomfortable. Like you instinctively think something is wrong with them or see them as a threat or something.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Could we do custom lines for necrosis? I'm weird and apparently need it.
    Trager
  • Aishia said:

That's actually a thing! Like your brain is easily able to tune out two people talking but one person talking to themselves makes you uncomfortable. Like you instinctively think something is wrong with them or see them as a threat or something.

I know! It's how we're wired - we like patterns, we like to understand, we like the whole story. Which is why shoutsoff makes me have to pester everyone with 'what'd they say?' which defeats the purpose of shoutsoff :(

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    This was not uncommon when my dad got one of those new and fancy headsets, where you only had to cough to answer a phonecall:

Coworker: Everything ready to go?
    Dad: Yes. Shouldn't be a problem.
    Coworker: Good. (starts up the truck and starts rolling)
    Dad: No. Yes, well...
    Coworker: Uh, what's it gonna be?
    Dad looks at his coworker, seeming a bit puzzled: Huh? Um, hang on. I'll call you back. Need to sort something out here first.

It's natural to want to know what's going on (curiosity) or believe that you are involved in a conversation when you don't see anyone else who might be around.

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It would be nice if city comm shops could have a few different price schemes, like one for citizens, one for outsiders and one for people aided to ministries. Maybe even do something snazzy like price policies, but for the comm shop. That would be really useful, as it would let us apply discounts to guilds, government clans, the entire city, etc.

Ideasupport 4009.
    Ishin
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Books!

Option 1 - for books copied from libraries to also copy the book design.

Option 2 - for libraries to have their own book design that you can customize (IE 'our scribes copied X text for you, here it is in our own wrapper').

Option 3 - the ability to TRANSCRIBE (book1) TO (emptybook2) [IN (language)]
    IaneaMoirean
    The whole library system is so badly in need of a revamp it's not even funny. I love what Lusternia does, especially how contributions are rewarded via mechanics.
    IshinFaerah
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    Personally I'm not a fan of Lusternia's system, except the part where you can search.

Annnd I like options 2/3 from what Areka posted.
    imageimage
    I meant more how writing stuff has a tangible result. It's so weird that we're the RP game but creative stuff like writing and stagecraft doesn't do anything for our orgs. You'd think we'd have mechanics in to help encourage that sort of stuff.
    Erzsebet
    edited August 2014
    Writing in-game books has no reason to have mechanical rewards. There's roleplay there, and possibly some renown if you write something your org still uses centuries after you've quit, but otherwise, I don't think we need to encourage people to write nonsense to get some mechanics-based cookie.

On the same note, I don't think we need to force people to aim for the mechanical cookie either, which is what Lusternia does.
    imageimage
    I'm glad you aren't in charge of the game.

Mechanical/official encouragement for doing stuff is pretty useful to reinforcing and encouraging activity and without it the game would be a lot more boring. We have it in the form of things like lessers, the Iron Epicurean, year 400 events, pretty much every single guild advancement path, etc.
    OmeiAarbrokRiluoSlypheTragerTeani
    For some things it's good, yes. I don't find this to be one of those things. I've alwayws found the literary system in Lusternia to be excessively annoying and heavy-handed. I'm saying we don't need mechanical cookies for every little thing we do. Some things -should- be player-driven, and we shouldn't rely on the admin to do every little thing.

And frankly, there are several people I'm glad don't run this game. You're one of them and to be blunt, I'm pretty high on the list, too, for a multitude of reasons.

@Razmael and all of the awesome godtypes he's got up there helping him have some major kudos for all the stuff they do and all the stuff they put up with.
    imageimage
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    That line wasn't really necessary. :/ We all have different priorities/interests/focuses in the game and don't need to start jabbing over the disonance. Debate, sure.
    IshinSlyphe
  • AuresaeAuresae Minneapolis
    Let's stop the flaming.
    I think it was, though. As you say, we all have different priorities and interests - she repeatedly keeps saying she does not want x or y thing thing because it doesn't appeal to her personally. I am glad that our admin don't follow that outlook. I personally have no need or concern if y or z crafting alias is implemented or stuff like the new description changes are put in. That doesn't mean I have to shoot it down from happening, as other people surely like it.
    The difference here, is that I think implementing a library system here like the one Lusternia has would be detrimental to the game. I don't think adding a mechanical cookie here would be good for the game in general. You're most definitely allowed to disagree with me here, but there's zero reason to take it to the personal level you did.

As to the comparison, it's apples and oranges, really. If I was advocating for...I dunno, plastic storage tubs as an alternative to 'box' or something that's actually detrimental to the game, those who don't see the need for all the other aliases we get here and there would speak up.
    imageimage
    edited August 2014
    I am not taking it to the personal level. As I said, I think that sort of exclusionary mindset is not good for the game and I'm glad that our admin have a broader view.

Taking things to a personal level would be, like, attacking you as a person over in the rage thread or going around downvoting lots of post you make. It sure would, indeed, suck if I were doing stuff like that.
  • Guys when we ask you to stop derailing a thread we really want you to stop derailing it. It's getting old. Here, it's in color now so you don't miss it.

i am rapture coder
  • clsearch skillet
    590 ...ou can now refer to a cooking pot as a skillet, roaster, or stockpot. Ge...

Searchable changelogs! Support 4010

MoireanRiluoTrager
  • changelog search skillet
    **********************[ Changelogs Matching your Search ]**********************
    CL     Time        Text                                                        
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    590    2014/07/22  Hey, gourmands! You can now refer to a cooking pot as a ski
    *******************************************************************************
    HOLY CRAP OUR CODERS ARE SO FAST AMAZING 10/10 WOULD PURCHASE AGAIN
    Piper
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited August 2014
    EDIT: This is why I cant start posting something from my phone at work before I see someone said to stop something... Oh well, Something something needs more hyphens obviously.
  • Moirean said:

It would be nice if city comm shops could have a few different price schemes, like one for citizens, one for outsiders and one for people aided to ministries. Maybe even do something snazzy like price policies, but for the comm shop. That would be really useful, as it would let us apply discounts to guilds, government clans, the entire city, etc.

Ideasupport 4009.

Comms can be made a different price for ministers,
    CITY COMM SET INTERN
    - Sets the price which other Ministries will pay for a particular commodity.

I remember when there were actual books in the Grand Aetolian Library...

IshinAreka
    Let us place bets on the racetrack through a bookie to give it some more character!

Ideasupport 4011

Damonicus said:

Moirean said:

Ideasupport 4009.

Comms can be made a different price for ministers,
    CITY COMM SET INTERN
    - Sets the price which other Ministries will pay for a particular commodity.
    That doesn't actually work, as far as I know. I asked someone godly (I think it was @Oleis?) and he was like O.o yeah that doesn't seem to do anything.
  • Just to jump on that library book writing rewards for a single post : why does it need to be mechanical cookies? Institute prizes/rewards via you culture ministry for those who write. The reward can then be scaled to how useful the book actually is.

Politics
    Because every city already offers rewards. Spinesreach even has a system for people to serve as library curators.

You guys are too caught up in specifics. I was more just being wistful about RP-based stuff have a formalized "spot" in the game, similar to how PvE and PvP stuff has mechanics/coded tasks/objectives. In addition to the extra shine and legitimacy official mechanic/admin-led things have, sometimes it's nice to have set systems/goals/mechanics/etc to aim for, instead of having to create it all as an org leader.
    @Gwenith We have all that. The player-driven stuff is present and good and those who want to write stuff in that capacity can and do take advantage of it.

Lusternia turned library stuff into a huge competition thing that you pretty much have to try to compete in or be perceived as less awesome. I think -having- to write a bunch of pointless, stupid books inside a game to compete in something you never wanted to participate in anyway is pointless and detrimental to the game. Especially given that Spinesreach is the only city that really has any guilds with any sort of 'yay, scholars' RP.

I'd be down for ganking the Lusternian library search mechanism, and I really like Areka's 2 and 3 suggestions above, but I don't think our library system needs to be more intricate than that. While some things definitely need a coded place, I don't think everything in the entire world does.
    imageimage
    I don't play Lusternia, so I have no idea what kind of a library system with competitions and so on you're talking about. I do, however, remember when it was possible to get ones own written work submitted to the Grand Aetolian Library. I'd really like it if it was made possible for characters to go in there, meet up with a librarian and submit a book or an original work (which would have to be titled and tagged according to a certain reference system, so that those reviewing it could easily find out if it's a copy or not).

Private/Org libraries would still be convenient for easy access, but having that huge building, which is almost empty, seems to me a huge waste, especially since it used to have a LOT of books that just somehow disappeared... :(

Erzsebet
  • If the rewards offered by the cities aren't enough to make people want to write maybe time to re-think what's on offer? I would love the search function of Lusternia libraries but as for mechanical rewarding people for writing book is going to be detrimental to culture as I foresee a bunch of Dick and Jane quality reads getting around just so people can get whatever it is that is hardcoded in as the reward.

I'ld put a suggestion, however I think it will be a bit to much of a hassle to code in : Why not have something like a crafting council but for books?

You write a book, submit it anonymously to the biannual ladies tea club who read over it and give it a score relating to entertainment/relevance to the world/quality of writing etc. Which averaged out gives it a ranking. Top ten ranking books in the last IG 5 years get some sort of prize?

It's some sort of mechanical reward system that Moirean wanted but doesn't sacrifice quality for quantity.

Politics