Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    That's how Lusternia does it.
  • Oh really? When you were talking about mechanically given out rewards I thought you meant "You wrote words on pieces of paper bond together. Have a treat."

Politics
  • Okay, I've never played Lusternia. But as a writer, I do like the idea of some mechanical reward for going above and beyond - because honestly, writing books in Aetolia IS going above and beyond, for most people. For most people, writing a description that amounts to more than "He's a five-foot Grook and has spent the last two weekends boning your mother in Boca" is a pretty heavy requirement.

Then again, for a lot of us, writing books is part of what our characters would DO. I've played characters who wrote scientific treatises because it was part of their work - it wasn't required by anyone. I've known people who wrote religious texts that are still used by organizations as teaching tools. We do this because we love the game, and because we are so invested in the person we're playing that to NOT convey their thoughts in this way would feel like bad RP. We'd do it anyway - as many people in this thread have said. But it's always nice to have a reward for something that enhances the world - not because it's required, but because making the extra effort DOES make other people's lives better, DOES fill out the backstory that every newbie is born into here. If you try hard enough, it means something, and that's not nothin'.

So here's my idea. Everyone can get a library, right. Just like, say, everyone can get a bar, in their house or their org building or whatever. And if you get a bar in your house, it has certain default things. So what if when you get a library in your place, yes, you can put in books whenever you want, and they'll be available there, and you pay upkeep and all, etc. But in addition to whatever you put in, like the bar, it has certain default contents, and those default contents are the current Bardic winners. And while we're at it, let's revamp the Bardic contest so that it actually gets submissions beyond the folks who always play - let it be that org leaders can submit stuff to Bardics on behalf of their members, so that orgs can reward really incredible writing that was specific to guild/order/city assignments but was still spectacular. Maybe it's not so much about creative writing, then, as it is about writing that expands and deepens the world we all RP in. Maybe an especially comprehensive security report could win, even - because it did something to make the world more interesting for other people.

So then all libraries everywhere would be an advertising point - if you're in the last three months of Bardic winners, or whatever, your book is available everywhere, and on display for everyone to know how you've improved the game. Eh, I guess in this case there's a security issue to manage - don't want to be advertising anything that's especially sensitive, of course. But that's for particular orgs to manage on a case-by-case basis. At least it would make the Bardics feel like a more comprehensively available reward for writing, and give libraries content beyond having a bunch of books thrown in on creation and then being ignored for years except for the newbies who are required to read whatever textbooks are in the first available category. And it wouldn't be a requirement or feel unfair to those who didn't want to participate.

Moirean
    If we did that, we'd have to offer repeat tiers of bardic winners, then, as they are currently treated as an OOC thing. I submit on alts, for example, even if it's stories from Moi's perspective, because I hit max rank and don't get bonus credits anymore for hitting a new rank (and rank credits are the real meat of bardic rewards).
  • edited August 2014
    Well yeah, in this scenario we could rework the Bardics so that it's less like the Artisanals (and maybe rework the Artisanals in the future) so it's not so much about gaming the system so that you get the most credits, and more about rewarding NEW people who have NEW things to contribute. It's almost like we might have to judge them by READING them and considering their skill and cultural impact, and how they expand and enhance the story of this world, rather than simply going, "Hey, that's a really lengthy submission from someone high in the Bardic ranks, it's probably good. A+!"

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I believe that the Grand Aetolian Library once had all Bardic winners (runner up and merits) added to it.

I would adore for us to have a 5th column in GWHO and CWHO where GM/CL (maybe officers/council too) could write a very brief note about someone. This would give things a lot more flexibility and usefulness, like noting down if someone is a special role or needs attention or whatnot.
    Trager
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Moirean - Like this?

Ishin Princeps Aide to War Meaniehead
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    MoireanTragerRiluoTeani
    Exactly!
    IshinTragerTeaniAarbrok
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited August 2014
    I fear what Aarbroks would say, though it would likely just show up as UNICORN D:
    Moirean
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited August 2014
    Is there any way to adjust cacheing with the newer cached components to prioritize by root word? That way if you OUTC stone it'll do stone first, rather than alternating between agate, jasper, marble, quartz, pyrite, jasper again?

Alternatively, to be able to specify which position in IC you're out-cacheing? IE:

<8413/8413h 4600/4600m 32400e 18900w <eb> > <16:51:28:246> ic stone
    Glancing into the cache, you see:
    ------------------------------ Gemstones -------------------------------
    [ 1] agate [ 3] jasper [ 33] pounamu
    [ 9] pyrite [ 51] quartz

-------------------------------- Other ---------------------------------
    [ 47] marble [ 15] sandstone [ 54] stone

OUTC STONE.8 for normal stone, OUTC 1 STONE.5 for quartz
    Moirean
    That would be so nice. There doesn't seem to be any way to really specify between stuff. Trying to get steak out is a bitch.
    Or when I was deffing up with ripe pears from the fruit stand instead of prickly pear. >>
    MoireanSetne
    YES UNICORNS THOSE PEARS THAT WAS A VERY EXPENSIVE SWIM
    Areka
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Moirean - Should see what happens when I go to your shop and 'wares plate'.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, that irks me a lot. It's because the designs that are for sale via crafting shelves are dragged us as TEMPLATE. I really wish it didn't do that. People keep buying panties when they want something to eat. I mean, I guess it's appropriate given Aetolia, but still....
    IshinAuresaeAarbrokTragerTeani
  • When I have time I'll allow edible panties as a cooking template.

i am rapture coder
    TragerAarbrokTeaniSaritaMoireanRiluo
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    @Omei: Swear?
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

/me makes a suit entirely out of edible panties
    Jayce
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Next Iron Epicurean imo.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    AarbrokRiluoTeaniSaritaJayceAlexina
  • Can you start selling consumables other than chalices?

It would be nice if that stuff was more readily available.

Also, artifact auction plz.
    IshinAlexinaMoirean
    PLEASE let me Cache the gears for bombcrafting I bought 100 and they are going to decay on me...they arent that cheap and I would appreciate it pleeeeaaaase
    Moirean
  • Artifact auction. Am nom nom. I'll sell my wand of portals right now!
    Areka
  • Unless they're gold. In which case, bah humbug.
  • There hasn't been one in a long time and I'd just like the opportunity to obtain a few of the auction only powers.

Even if the powers just became available for regular sale. That would be cool. Some people might be upset by that though.
    Make logbooks a super expensive choice for everyone. Would buy.
  • edited August 2014
    What's a logbook.

I just want custom wings and to be able to see who is far seeing me. :(
    Log book lets you hold more than one mercantile skill, so you can have, like, concoctions AND forging.
    Infin
    Could whistles be given area sounds like yelling?

shortblow
    A short whistle-blow careens through the air.

longblow
    A sustained whistle-blow calls out in the area.

MoireanErzsebet
  • Pocket humgii should be a gold item somewhere. It's silly dropping unwanted rings all over the place.