Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• I think the main takeaway here is this: you are and should be responsible for your own fun. If you don't enjoy an aspect of the game, whether that's shouts, PK, getting smacked upside the gob for your character's attitude, etc, then adjust your RP and playstyle. If you don't enjoy losing, don't put yourself in positions to lose. As a general rule and philosophy, we all should be remembering that another person exists on the other side of the screen, but not to the point of sacrificing our own play experiences, especially if rules aren't being broken. You aren't having fun with a situation? Step back from it instead of continuing to pressure it. Concede. Surrender. Let the death happen and walk away. Ignore. Issue. But above all, stop holding other people trying to enjoy the game responsible for the fun you should be having. That ultimately falls to you.
    NipsyKurakXenia
  • Feels like, while the game is doing better than it has in a long, long time, people are getting meaner and nastier and crueler at the same time. Every action a character makes is immediately taken in the worst possible light, with zero digging either IC or OOC for potential misunderstandings or accidents. People are HARD pushing the established lines of allowable conflict and some are even throwing THOSE out the window. The us vs them re: tethers just feels like it's getting meaner and meaner, with alternating levels of escalation. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but it feels very grimy right now.
    EleneNipsyKurakXavinLinXenia
  • edited January 2022
    I have felt that since the wars ended, and it hasn't abated. It has become a justification of "They did it first", and people don't care to stop and think if it's right to reciprocate in kind. 

Then, there are also attitudes like, "I don't know who did this and this in my org territory but since I don't know I will just enemy anyone who is in the org who perpetrated it or anyone who was previously involved in conflict around it" without even any attempt at roleplay. It feels shitty and just doesn't inspire the want to reach out and interact at all.

Every small bit of conflict that has been started now will always attract people that are not involved in them in the first place, and the justification becomes, "They are my allies", or "My org are allies to their cause", or "my friends that got assaulted I must revenge." Half of these are against the rules for what consents as 'RPK', but like Naos said, mostly are simply enjoying throwing those out the window.

Does this mean that the current set of rules that try to govern the conflict that we enjoy spurring are outdated and should be revisited? Or does this mean the game mentality as a whole is changing and we should all try to keep up? I think the faster we decide on what it is we're trying to accomplish, the less headache/heartache/griping we're all going to do and experience.
    NipsyNaosKurakFyrren
  • I'm going to use Bamathis as a prime example for my points as the only conflict I see people budging into is conflict concerning Bamathis.

I think there's a little bit of hyperbole in these takes about 'people getting involved' or what is designated as 'allowable conflict'. I think it's disingenuous to blame 'us vs. them' for any of what is being discussed in the last two posts. It feels a lot like we're blaming 'tether tribalism' for what's actually just a bunch of Spirit characters being justifiably angry at Bamathis and banding together to show it. From where I stand: there's nothing established - just unwritten cultural norms. I have no obligation to these norms and nor do you.

The god in question is a divisive figure that not only draws trouble down onto his own order via his own actions, but also empowers mortal representatives and officers who have the exact same effect on people as he does. As I said to someone else, asking people to stay out of fights being picked with that order is asking those players to make unrealistic roleplay decisions. The consistency of my character is important - I am not obligated to breach that just because you think it's unfun to fight extra bodies. I don't think I have to put on a 3 Act Play to prove the existence of that consistency or how it would inform Iesid's decisions as a figure in Aetolia's story. It should be very obvious where he stands, because he makes no secret about his disdain. It would be a betrayal of what his character consists of to step away just because it isn't 'his turn' yet. There are no turns and there is no pecking order. If you insist that one exists, I would claim that you only do so because it serves you better at this very moment to have one.

Along those lines, I think it's a recipe for heartache to hope that every single fight, every single spat, etc is going to be neatly boxed up and only allow certain participants. That is, after all, what birthed the Battlefield system that has gone virtually unused since the Ilhavon 'event'. If people really wanted these neat and organized wargames between specifically selected sides, I would expect them to exhibit in good faith that they desire them by trying to utilize that system. Beyond that? There's absolutely nothing in the rules that says that we must make our characters stand aside or wait in line for their turn to have conflict with someone. I think that's asking us to cheapen the fact that we play characters in a world with an ongoing story.

Similarly, I don't think anyone is entitled to X amount of roleplay scenes before the PK happens. If my character is a publicly acknowledged enemy of Bamathis, I think it goes without saying that you can expect him to want to put a stop to anything Bamathis-related. If you would insist otherwise, you are trying to construct a system of rules that can then be utilized later in bad faith or an excessively pedantic manner. Or perhaps those rules will just set poor expectations. If what you are asking for is rules and regulations that you may then try to impress upon me in OOC tells without any IC interaction whatsoever, I'm going to say that I would just prefer we remain in this limbo.

But this is more than a story. It is also a game and a community of players. For that reason, I often encourage (and adhere to) moderation. I'm not going to go out and gank Bamathis congregants for no reason. They can bash, quest, RP out in the open (for the most part) and I will specifically avoid bothering them unless they have given a recent reason not to. But with that moderation comes an expectation that folks accept the reality of when Iesid will interfere or attack them: when there's some form of stakes. They're raising a shrine? Holding sermon? Defiling a shrine? Attacking villagers? These are all IC actions and they all have IC consequences, up to and including someone coming to interrupt those actions.
    NaosReaveSryaenXavinNipsyEleneRhine
  • I feel like you're trying to justify actions in a 'spirit of the law' vs 'letter of the law' - when in reality I personally think you're overstepping in both regards. 'But it's my RP' is such a tired excuse for killmongering that people have tried to use against Aetolia's PK system for a lot longer than you or I have played the game. It was never accepted then, and I certainly don't think it should be accepted now.
  • NipsyNipsy Setting fire to Aeryx's mine
    edited January 2022
    I mean, the way I see it, we will see how people react when the tides inevitably turn and similar things happen to the opposing faction.

Though I seem to recall hearing a bunch of heartache over a single Gnome killing City guards no less than a month ago.

In the least, the forums provide quotable evidence that behaviors are acceptable.

Throw wide the gates.

When I start killing every Duirani novice, because Duiran has Haern as a patron, and it would be uncouth for me to change my RP, for a faction that does things my character doesn't like, I will be sure to reference this. Afterall, I shouldn't have to change my RP because it upsets people. (Sounds real bad when you read it that way, but I'm down to clown)
    ReaveEakuXavinSryaenCzciennWjoltyrKaiara
  • edited January 2022
    pet peeve:

nobody has really used battlegrounds since their inception and they'd certainly be a significantly better solution to the desire to have a fight only between two orders than just expecting people to stay out of it regardless of character reasons they may have to participate. i personally make a point to not show up until someone outside of a relevant order shows up to fight my allies, and i usually have to wait at most one or two rounds of battle before it happens, whether as a response to someone in spirit doing it first or not. it has happened i think literally every single time.

it's not a one person issue by any stretch of the imagination, and it's only really an issue because people won't use the tools at hand to work together OOC to make something happen IC. last time i saw a battlefield get submitted it wasn't even rejected, it just got timed out twice.

coordinate a battlefield with a little bit of OOC communication if you want to ensure it's going to be a good and fair fight between orders/congs or declare holy war (actually don't those rules are ancient and probably need to be updated so people can't just spam join congregation to participate), because without these limitations you are fighting in an open world and multiple people have shown that as much as many of us would prefer keeping it order v order, it doesn't matter to them because their characters have every reason to participate (bamathis and severn coordinated to betray haern and blew up a piece of dendara like a month ago; their joint order members routinely antagonize spirit and duiran especially; and whatever laundry list of IC grievances shadow characters no doubt have (like when nipsy shows up to fight Omei people alongside bamathis order presumably because iesid dusted a lot of ivoln shrines during the war, or when other people show up to help bamathis order fight haern's order because he's their guild patron)).

if you want to keep it between two specific groups, use battlefields. this is quite literally their purpose as i understand it. if you don't, it's not really fair to expect people to bend their character motivations into awkward little pretzels and ignore their allies dying.
    BenedictoRhineAeryx
  • Naos said:

I feel like you're trying to justify actions in a 'spirit of the law' vs 'letter of the law' - when in reality I personally think you're overstepping in both regards. 'But it's my RP' is such a tired excuse for killmongering that people have tried to use against Aetolia's PK system for a lot longer than you or I have played the game. It was never accepted then, and I certainly don't think it should be accepted now.

This comes down to what we define the game as being 'about', I guess. I think it's a safe assumption, though, that we agree on the notion that a main focus for Aetolia is roleplay and a growing story. This would make the game 'roleplay-centric', for sure. We roleplay everyday. We demand a certain degree of 'roleplay' in pretty much every interaction in the game. Without it, the organizations would have severely diminished stakes because they would just be coats of paint.

So. If this is an RP-centric game, why is 'but it's my RP' a maligned PK reason? Especially when it is done in moderation? I would agree that 'it's my RP' is a bad reason for just walking up and killing citizens of an off-tether city. That's a tremendous stretch. However, that's not what is happening here in any of these situations. In that scenario, the victim is minding their own business. In reality, there is no victim party in the PvP exchanges over the last week or so. The people holding sermons, shouting stuff, and raising shrines are making roleplay decisions - and those decisions are open to consequences or reactions. Violence is a valid reaction, IC - especially with parties you have given up the notion of reasoning with. As it would so happen, my character has absolutely given up the notion of reasoning with Bamathis - there was an entire story arc for it where he tried, even! He has changed after that.

If roleplay is so important to this game, why is the roleplay of rejecting or standing against a cause not an acceptable justification for enmity? Is it because the roleplay is not actively happening in front of you? I would say there is no reasonable explanation for this aside from an unwillingness to accept that there could be consequences for roleplay decisions.

Maybe we define 'roleplay decisions' differently? Not sure.
    Nipsy said:

When I start killing every Duirani novice, because Duiran has Haern as a patron, and it would be uncouth for me to change my RP, for a faction that does things my character doesn't like, I will be sure to reference this. Afterall, I shouldn't have to change my RP because it upsets people. (Sounds real bad when you read it that way, but I'm down to clown)

I think I am beginning to see why my opinion is objectionable to you.

What you just described in my quoted block is the type of bad faith approach to "it's my RP" that I would agree as being unacceptable.

As it would so happen, I'm not doing that right now. My character is killing Bamathis congregants and Bamathis order members that engage in Bamathis business - and only when they are currently engaging in that business. He might pay a little extra attention to where they are so he can catch them doing minors or something, but otherwise he leaves them alone outside of what I'd like to call Work Hours. If you decide to kill absolutely unrelated parties because your character is mad at a god or character, it will be you setting that precedent, not I.
    SryaenXavinNipsySeurimasRhineKaiara
    edited January 2022
    You are creating subjective rules that fit only your position.

In reality, it is no different from the very opinion you have what I would be doing, it is not that I am doing these things but instead representing an example similarly posed.

We could go round and round trying to justify what is acceptable and what is not, ultimately it will boil down to tether tribalism on what is acceptable. When we are winning, we are right, and when we are losing it is wrong. At the end of the day neither party is correct. There is no amount of justification or rules lawyering that will make it acceptable. It is purely going to take based on the state of things, one side finally having enough that they throw a big enough fit for any appropriate feedback.

This is where things get a bit messy of course.

If we want to foster the type of environment that Elene and others have been bringing up lately regarding OOC feelings being hurt, and lots of player smearing. I think I can reliably say which side will break first. So, really as I see it, lets see what happens, I have been on good behavior as of late, and I'm not going to gather the masses to jump people for things like putting up shrines. (not like any of the defenders are even in the orders of the Gods for the shrines anyways) However, I know myself and others could certainly devolve our standards a bit to see what comes of it.
    CzciennXavinSryaenKaiara
  • Listen man, I get what you're saying. It reads as if you have a very RPI outlook on the game, and I think various attributes of those kind of MUDs are unique and should be better incorporated into the Roleplay-Enforced game we play now.

But the game does not change simply because you want it to. The rules - the written in stone rules - do not alter because you feel like they should. If the game is to change, then bring up the possibility of that change, and promote a shift towards an outlook that people can slowly come to terms with rather than find it dumped on their lap because you feel like it should be so.
    Nipsy
  • edited January 2022
    Nipsy said:

If we want to foster the type of environment that Elene and others have been bringing up lately regarding OOC feelings being hurt, and lots of player smearing. I think I can reliably say which side will break first.

I definitely agree Shadow has its problems. It will be interesting to see how this plays out!

Btw this overly condescending, passive-aggressive paragraph of your post kinda invalidates anything else you tried to say in the rest of your post.
    NipsyIazamatKurakEhtiasGalileiSeurimasTetchtaWjoltyr
  • edited January 2022
    Nipsy said:

You are creating subjective rules that fit only your position.

In reality, it is no different from the very opinion you have what I would be doing, it is not that I am doing these things but instead representing an example similarly posed.

I'm not, though, and your stated opinion is very different from what is happening in game. Please see below.
    Nipsy said:

When we are winning, we are right, and when we are losing it is wrong. At the end of the day neither party is correct. There is no amount of justification or rules lawyering that will make it acceptable. It is purely going to take based on the state of things, one side finally having enough that they throw a big enough fit for any appropriate feedback.

This is some very weird Aetolian whataboutism, when I think about it. We're always going back to "this is just sore losers and sore winners and tether tribalism". I don't think this is an issue of tribalism. I think this is an unwillingness to accept in character consequences for in character roleplay decisions. You keep pointing everything back towards tribalism or side-picking - which, to me, reveals an assumption of bad faith. That's not something I am equipped to fix and nor is it my responsibility to. I have a game to play, after all.
    Nipsy said:

If we want to foster the type of environment that Elene and others have been bringing up lately regarding OOC feelings being hurt, and lots of player smearing. I think I can reliably say which side will break first. So, really as I see it, lets see what happens, I have been on good behavior as of late, and I'm not going to gather the masses to jump people for things like putting up shrines. (not like any of the defenders are even in the orders of the Gods for the shrines anyways) However, I know myself and others could certainly devolve our standards a bit to see what comes of it.

This sort of posturing is more deserving of the label of 'tether tribalism', dude.
    Naos said:

Listen man, I get what you're saying. It reads as if you have a very RPI outlook on the game, and I think various attributes of those kind of MUDs are unique and should be better incorporated into the Roleplay-Enforced game we play now.

But the game does not change simply because you want it to. The rules - the written in stone rules - do not alter because you feel like they should. If the game is to change, then bring up the possibility of that change, and promote a shift towards an outlook that people can slowly come to terms with rather than find it dumped on their lap because you feel like it should be so.

I don't think the rules you are alluding to actually exist.

Player killing is an acceptable and necessary avenue for conflict resolution in Aetolia. Contract
    enforcement, vengeance, or yes, roleplay, can be Acceptable reasons to attack another player. The
    visceral exercise of combat affords an unmatchable level of drama and challenge that help make
    Aetolia an exciting and memorable world.

No single death issues
    ----------------------
    Any issue filed purely over an attack where NO DEATH or a SINGLE DEATH occurred will generally BE
    DISMISSED outright. Death is a part of Aetolia, and there are numerous avenues to deal with the
    repercussions of player killing without the Administration stepping in. These avenues should always
    be taken, and issues that concern player killing of any sort should only be filed where they
    constitute serious breaches of conduct and may constitute harassment. This does not mean that Admin
    will never act if it is a single or no death involved. However, it is more likely to be dismissed.

Please keep in mind hard rules such as those that constitute open PK and the like will take
    precedence if it is found that they are intentionally broken.

Roleplay-based deaths
    ---------------------
    While a roleplayed motive can be a reason to attack another player, it is not carte blanche to kill
    whomever you want with impunity. EVERYONE is presumed to be playing a role in Aetolia, and those who
    violently inflict their roleplaying on others are subjected to a much higher standard.

Your role defines your motives, not the other way around. If it's not clear to others that you are
    immersed in a role, then you effectively aren't. The burden is on you to demonstrate that your
    aggression is in-character, not only at the time of a fight, but constantly through your character's
    everyday behavior, habits and speech. See HELP ROLEPLAYING for more information.

Hurt feelings only go so far as an excuse for player killing. Failure to apologize is not a good
    reason to continue killing someone repeatedly.

Teaming, assassination, and excessive PK
    ----------------------------------------
    Repeatedly killing the same person for the same reason is rarely acceptable behavior. Killing
    someone over and over, and other attempts to demoralize someone to the point of wanting to quit
    playing are good ways to attract the ire of immortals.

Any time you assist another player, or group of players, in slaying someone - you are expected to
    have a strong reason to help kill them.

Being hired to kill someone, by itself, is not enough of a motive. If you are claiming a bounty,
    make sure you are aware of the motive to begin with. Just killing them because there is a bounty is
    not enough. Both the hired assassin and the hirer are equally culpable for what results from their
    interaction. BOTH need to make sure their reasons justify killing, and both will be punished if they
    do not.

If you use assistance to slay someone, and do not land the killing blow, you generally _can not_ use
    the same reason and attempt to kill the person again.

Nothing in here says that what I'm doing is wrong. If you do not believe my roleplay is in good faith, that's an altogether different problem to be tackling than 'what is allowed for PK cause?'.
    SryaenNipsyKaiara
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
  • Well that didn't take long at all.
    NipsySryaen
  • I'm going to assume you are actively trying to be petty or vindictive, and that your roleplay is in good faith, otherwise I'm just like everyone else already assuming that the other side is only acting in a way to grief or cause issue.

Ultimately our specific argument boils down to me not agreeing with you feeling like you have 'carte blanche' on members of Bamathis' order and/or congregation when outside of normal avenues of conflict. And that's fine, we can disagree there. I do not believe in whimsical killing, and believe a well-written emote is infinitely more valuable than a well-crafted AI. This also doesn't change that I think people are being nasty to each other, and I don't rate it at all.
    NipsyIesid
  • I have a pretty good memory and I remember some rulings and shifts that were made in the past pretty clearly. The reason why HELP PK was actually written was because we as a community can't seem to reach a common understanding on what is acceptable roleplay consequences, so we were given admin outlines to manage our roleplay expectations. This being said, Aetolia is not Achaea, nor is it Imperian, nor is it Lusternia. We don't have the Avengers system, we don't particularly have explicit rules on what counts as cause, and we're also not cut-and-dry on what is PKable cause or not. 

All of these posts pretty much build upon what we should be thinking about, though. It seems very much clear that we hold divisive accounts of how RP should be enforced, but with all of these actions being considered, they also do not align with how the game views 'RPK' as a whole. 

Given how I feel Aetolia is a much more RP-intensive game compared to the rest of the other IRE games, I surmise this shouldn't be anything surprising. 

So where do we stand right now? What should we be agreeing upon?
  • edited January 2022
    Serious question: If you have an issue with the way he handles his RP-based conflict, then why don't you issue to challenge him on it? As opposed to issuing yourself, and not letting him provide his side?

"Defensible reason" isn't a concept that applies between players. It's for issues, and the admin to decide ultimately, because players are almost never going to agree on what constitutes a defensible reason. That's just a plain fact.
  • edited January 2022
    I think it's safe to say that most people don't agree with people doing things like that. Name and shame.

Edit: Like I said yesterday, we can't police that crap if we don't know it's going on.

SaltzDourif
  • edited January 2022
    I can't. They're anonymous trash accounts made to drop comments and dash/delete.
  • EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    edited January 2022
    Elene said:

I can't. They're anonymous trash accounts made to drop comments and dash/delete.

ISSUE ME about it, if you haven't already. HELP HARASSMENT covers that, and the admin at least have IP logs for character creation/etc.

Edit: To make sure I'm clear about this - I want the people who did this punished, because fuck harassing people for character actions.
    Edit again: Whoops, for some reason I thought Elene said forum accounts, can't trace IPs on Discord :\
  • When crap like this has come up in the past people have been told by the admin that they can't police things happening on Discord. But maybe that stance is changed with a new producer. I definitely agree that harassers should be punished somehow.

• Unfortunately you just have to turn off DMs from random people in large/open servers. I don't think there's much the admins can do if it's on Discord, which is probably why the policy is like that in the first place.
    NipsyElene
    edited January 2022
    I'm pretty sure discord can't be policed because its not directly connected to the game, unless its certain types of harassment which breach law, then it can be because its violations of things like "restraining orders" "threats of life" "certain varieties of harassment". That being said however, I would still try and get screenshots if people are being inherently toxic, to show the playerbase in the future, so that folks can make it abundantly clear that OOC threatening and harassment is not what we want to promote.

I mean, we all get salty with each other and have differing opinions on "how" things should be or work out.

But don't be disgusting to people. It doesn't look good on anyone, and we have to learn from that.
  • At the very least be brave enough to expose your shitty behavior for what it is, rather than hiding behind anonymity.

NipsyEleneValorieGalileiRihrinRhine
  • LOL can't believe someone feels -that- butthurt about Elene/Whirran. That's insane.
    NipsySeurimasGalilei
    edited January 2022
    I will protect Frogmom and Ogredad, they are a joy to be around IC, and I can assure you, if you wanted to RP at them, they would be down for it.

They make Bloodloch fun, and honestly Bloodloch is a pretty fun place as it is currently, for all the things I can say on the forums in hypotheticals and combative retort, people should base opinions off of things done and said IC, and keep them IC. We can be opinionated and sometimes harsh when we are passionate about something OOC, and the forums often sparks some fueds between differing beliefs.

But we are all part of a small community of people, no reason to be shitty in earnest.
    Galilei
  • LimLim
    edited January 2022
    Elene said:

I have felt that since the wars ended, and it hasn't abated. It has become a justification of "They did it first", and people don't care to stop and think if it's right to reciprocate in kind. 

Then, there are also attitudes like, "I don't know who did this and this in my org territory but since I don't know I will just enemy anyone who is in the org who perpetrated it or anyone who was previously involved in conflict around it" without even any attempt at roleplay. It feels shitty and just doesn't inspire the want to reach out and interact at all.

Every small bit of conflict that has been started now will always attract people that are not involved in them in the first place, and the justification becomes, "They are my allies", or "My org are allies to their cause", or "my friends that got assaulted I must revenge." Half of these are against the rules for what consents as 'RPK', but like Naos said, mostly are simply enjoying throwing those out the window.

Does this mean that the current set of rules that try to govern the conflict that we enjoy spurring are outdated and should be revisited? Or does this mean the game mentality as a whole is changing and we should all try to keep up? I think the faster we decide on what it is we're trying to accomplish, the less headache/heartache/griping we're all going to do and experience.
    I think the Bamathis RP thing was probably fine, although my personal two cents is that it is dragging on a bit long at this point because the story hasn't really developed beyond 'rahhh your God bad', with the same PK is being justified on those same RP reasons. Obviously I'm not the RP police and this is just a personal take, so take with a pinch of salt - but I'd be really keen to see it progress beyond the shrine feud (it's basically becoming another mini endless war) and see where it could possibly go. My guess as to why there's the feeling of 'PK farming' going on, because the RP rationale is starting to get a little stale.

I would add to a point Elene mentioned though - I personally do find the "They are my allies", or "My org are allies to their cause", or "my friends that got assaulted I must revenge." reasons are really weak sauce to justify PK. Unfortunately, it seems like only a handful of players bother to really put thought into their roleplay development to justify jumping into the fray - for the majority, I reckon, it's just a casual excuse to pile in. For instance, that loser who's been sending Elene those PMs? Bet you he/she isn't one of you guys who has bothered to put in effort into developing their RP (lol, my mind is still blown that someone bothered to go through the trouble to make anon accounts).
    Nipsy