Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• I can’t express how much I enjoyed reading all of this with my morning coffee. Absolutely gold. Never change. 
    TetchtaReaveValeriaIazamatValorieIllikaalSryaenHolbrookNipsy
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    Toz said:

@Sryaen the reflection in the glasses alone makes that not, in fact, a unicorns post. That's top notch good job.

It means that the letters on the computer screen are actually backwards, so our hacker friend is doubly gifted for being able to hack and read a flipped screen.

IazamatLinTetchtaSryaen
  • Web got mirror bombed at that exact point, sorry not sorry.
    TetchtaNipsyGavramel
  • Sibatti said:

Toz said:

@Sryaen the reflection in the glasses alone makes that not, in fact, a unicorns post. That's top notch good job.

It means that the letters on the computer screen are actually backwards, so our hacker friend is doubly gifted for being able to hack and read a flipped screen.

Maybe he has his glasses backwards

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    edited October 2021
    Edit: NVM I'm dumb

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Areas gated behind organizations when they still count towards Explorer rankings. Drives me absolutely nuts!
    #endrant

LinIazamatValorieIllikaalNipsyTetchta
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Teani said:

Areas gated behind organizations when they still count towards Explorer rankings. Drives me absolutely nuts!
    #endrant

That's why I stopped trying to pump my ranking eventually. The only areas I had left would require me to break into places inaccessible to burrowing, or beg an Order member to let me into some sacred space. It stinks!
  • Excuse my while I start Dendara touring business.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Tetchta
  • NipsyNipsy Setting fire to Aeryx's mine
    I dont have any peeves so far....I have been amused alot lately by those who do....reading this thread made me chuckle on a few occasions.

Keep doing you, everyone.

Everyone has been pretty nice that I have interacted with. Even when im being a loudboy in shouts.
    Teani
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Illidan said:
    Excuse my while I start Dendara touring business.
    It would be nice if it were possible to RP your way into those places somehow, but it's not even possible to follow a Sentinel into their Eastern Ithmia nook, nor Spinesreach's secret library. Other places that are gated are mostly gated through RP, and it feels silly to inspire to foul play or breaking in by keeping things locked tight.

(Also, I've already had a tour of Dendara, but thanks for offering! :tongue:)

• Wanting to quit and move on from Aetolia and then my favorite promo comes along. 

TetchtaSeurimasTsarra
  • @Araseth bold of you to assume that I am any smarter than a potato.
  • edited October 2021
    Iazamat said:

The idea that one needs an exhaustive list of (RP) things to CF people for instead of just CFing people for being active, present, and contributing to the game/org as a whole. You can CF people for more than just rote chores and mechanical objectives.

I have realised ever since I came back to play Aetolia (early 2020), that no one ever really seems to CF for anything outside of what is earned as 'rewards' for Ylem/city involvement/what have you. When I ask about it, I get told that it's abusable because people would then CF for anything they want, which makes cityrank less meaningful, and therefore, it then becomes this ingrained notion that no one should ever use their CFs for any other reasons aside for redemption of city rewards. Further, when people reach CR6, then CFs become 'mechanically useless'.

The only mechanical benefits that cityrank comes is the ability to writelog (CR3), prefix/suffix (CR4), citizen new people (CR5) and eventually to cityfavour/citydisfavour(CR6). Aside from these and depending on your org, cityranks would probably also affect how many credits someone can purchase in the city credit sale. Get this: you don't even need to be of a certain cityrank to contest for a spot in the ruling council either. More shallowly and more commonly, I think cityrank is seen as a means to boost reputation and ego.

Since CFs are ways for people to organically recognize others for doing things for the city, and if it's general concern that people would spuriously use their CFs to rank someone up for no reason or something, I would appeal for a system which allows us to detach cityrank from cityfavours (something like the current guild rankset system?) and allow us to attach rewards to every cityfavour given.

Or...

Somehow, people can fix this notion that we should continue to gate CFs under reward redemption only. But changing minds are difficult, and god knows I've tried to encourage others to use their CFs more.
    NaosIazamatIesidTeaniRhine
    The concern over "favoring for no reason/just because/just to rank someone up" is a false concern imo. For one, there's already folk who do that. Secondly (and more importantly), boiling down recognition to a pure mechanical exchange (25 points boy oh boy now I can buy my Congratulations Deluxe Package) misses the point entirely.

Cityfavors are a gold star system, and while getting one at CR6 is "mechanically useless," things like favors are a pretty great way to encourage engagement and participation. What's more, witholding them so they're only attained from a specific system is going to discourage and deincentivize people finding ways to liven up an org that fall outside that purview.

Your last paragraph, @Elene, is really bonkers to me though. Who are the people who think we should only be favoring via point redemptions whose minds need changed? Because lemme attem, they're actively hurting their own orgs. Who is hurt by having more people at CR6? Is it really that big of a deal if 90% of the city is CR6?

IazamatSryaen
  • I always get mildly offended when someone asks "Do you want a few dollars passed for your work, or how about I tell you you're pretty?" - pay me, kthx.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Iazamat
  • Toz said:
    I always get mildly offended when someone asks "Do you want a few dollars passed for your work, or how about I tell you you're pretty?" - pay me, kthx.
    Do you want to draw my character for me for free? I can display this on my Twitter to help you with exposure.
    IazamatTetchtaAyastiaZeheiaTsarra
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    edited October 2021
    Elene said:
    Toz said:
    I always get mildly offended when someone asks "Do you want a few dollars passed for your work, or how about I tell you you're pretty?" - pay me, kthx.
    Do you want to draw my character for me for free? I can display this on my Twitter to help you with exposure.
    Considering how often this happens for literally anything, this is PAIN. 
    LinSibatti
  • NipsyNipsy Setting fire to Aeryx's mine
    Is the favour thing a Bloodloch thing?

Spinesreach favours for achieving things, or doing good in events and stuff.... Bloodloch needs to stop being such sourpusses.
    I have noticed that Spines does more of the sort of favoring folk are talking about here, and more orgs should do likewise if they're not already.

IazamatNipsyEleneAlela
  • I am 100% subtweeting Bloodloch.
    TetchtaNipsyAlela
  • Elene said:

Toz said:

I don't think I'm supposed to be exposing myself on Twitter...

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

EleneNipsyAxiusZeheiaTsarra
  • Getting unenemied to Mournhold is still impossible as far as I know. So we are stuck unable to do quest or shop there, damn annoying.
    Areas which can only be explored by certain organizations like western wilderness, annoying and unfair.
    Ahhh ranting is so liberating. :p
    Saidenn
  • Neoma said:

Getting unenemied to Mournhold is still impossible as far as I know. So we are stuck unable to do quest or shop there, damn annoying.
    Areas which can only be explored by certain organizations like western wilderness, annoying and unfair.
    Ahhh ranting is so liberating. :p

You can get unenemied to Mournhold but it requires someone getting enemied to the cult under it for you.

edited October 2021
    Xavin's right, but also I can say that getting enemied to NPC factions is piss-easy to do, and a PAIN in the rear to undo.

Sincerely,
    Guy Who Probed an Ophidian Before Kickin' His Butt and Didn't See a Loyalty Tag, and Is Now Enemied to the Ophidian Empire

Reave
  • I'm really close to snapping over the fact that cities got turned into the central orgs of the game, but any potentially uncivil conversation, regardless of its merits and RP, is consistently ushered off CT and people are told to "handle it in private". C'mon, folks. Stop stifling stories.
    TetchtaSryaenAlela
    edited October 2021
    It just feels like a total rejection of "yes and," honestly. Like if a bunch of people are having a conversation, especially if it's relevant to the org, I'm not sure I see the point of saying "take it off CT." Just seems to:
    1. Turn the conversation into a fight about whether or not people are justified in having discussions on CT
    2. Totally discourage activity.
    Like yeah if folk are droppin swears left and right or if one person is dominating the place for their bad poetry, maybe try to shut it down. But, like, if you're just annoyed that people are talkin', CTOFF is right there. Like that's why it exists. Just turn it back on later.

edit: especially if that converation is, idk, maybe the type of thing that might leave a trail of breadcrumbs for celani who are trying to figure out what to do and then suddenly find a thread that people are showing interest in. They watch CT a lot and we shoot ourselves in the foot by shutting down RP conversations that might lead somewhere neat.

IazamatTeaniIllikaalAlela
  • Tetchta said:

It just feels like a total rejection of "yes and," honestly. Like if a bunch of people are having a conversation, especially if it's relevant to the org, I'm not sure I see the point of saying "take it off CT." Just seems to:

1. Turn the conversation into a fight about whether or not people are justified in having discussions on CT
    2. Totally discourage activity.
    Like yeah if folk are droppin swears left and right or if one person is dominating the place for their bad poetry, maybe try to shut it down. But, like, if you're just annoyed that people are talkin', CTOFF is right there. Like that's why it exists. Just turn it back on later.

edit: especially if that converation is, idk, maybe the type of thing that might leave a trail of breadcrumbs for celani who are trying to figure out what to do and then suddenly find a thread that people are showing interest in. They watch CT a lot and we shoot ourselves in the foot by shutting down RP conversations that might lead somewhere neat.
    Phew chile. Unironically, dealt with this in Duiran when stuff popped off. There was no foul language at all. Just literally people complaining that the conversation, heated as it was, was happening on CT, and then being labeled as "poison" for telling them to just turn CTOFF if they didn't want to hear or deal with it. Wild.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    IazamatTetchtaAlela
  • When people talk about issues, like, for instance, a lack of realism when it effects them, but when it doesn't, argue that you need to pull up those suspenders of disbelief. 
    ObaSryaen