Crafting Ideas

Comments

• Solaria said:
    Periluna said:
    I had a really weird dream a few weeks ago and I thought it was true until today. I could have sworn @Oleis made a post stating that flint was now cacheable. :/ Ruined my morning

(Still an Oleisbian though and quickly becoming a Slyphbian too)
    I bugged it once, they said it was working, but there are several of us that haven't gotten it to work. So, I rebugged it. I still <3@Oleis, though.
    So it wasn't a dream?
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Periluna said:
    Solaria said:
    Periluna said:
    I had a really weird dream a few weeks ago and I thought it was true until today. I could have sworn @Oleis made a post stating that flint was now cacheable. :/ Ruined my morning

(Still an Oleisbian though and quickly becoming a Slyphbian too)
    I bugged it once, they said it was working, but there are several of us that haven't gotten it to work. So, I rebugged it. I still <3@Oleis, though.
    So it wasn't a dream?
    Not unless we're sharing dreams!

• I made a changelog about it last week, but we all tend to dream about Oleis, so it's okay.

...As for why it's not working, well, I'll see what's going on. When in doubt, blame Razmael.

ArbreSolaria
  • I thought we were still blaming the old administration for everything
    SlypheSolaria
  • Blame Canada.
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Citrine and other gemstones that were fixed aren't working either.
  • ...crafting guild......

...whiteshadow....

Neithan
  • That's far beyond my area of expertise as it'd require some decent chunks of code to make happen I'm sure!

Crafters: I haven't forgotten about you guys, but classes started yesterday and I'm already swamped in RL work. I have a text file running with things I'm planning on adding, but right now it simply comes down to me getting a solid chunk of a few hours to add it all in. 

While that probably isn't what you wanted to hear, rest assured it'll be in hopefully by next Monday (no Monday or Friday classes, woop woop) at the latest.

Riluo
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    The thing with cacheables is that it doesn't work if the item resets to a location. There are a few pieces of flint (and probably other things) which reset and can't be cached, but a few more which don't have that restriction.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    The resetting thing is so annoying. Couldn't those materials be sold in some shop somewhere instead (and thus be cacheable)?
    Alexina said:
    The resetting thing is so annoying. Couldn't those materials be sold in some shop somewhere instead (and thus be cacheable)?
    I'm entirely okay with that. I'll have that discussion up here.
    [---]
    Piper
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Speaking of cacheables, I updated 8033 with more stuff that can't be cached.
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    At the request of the crafters clan, here's a list of fumology requests.

- Fruits and berries.
    - Citrus rind - or oranges and lemons, i.e. fruit, as above.
    - Mint leaves or mint flavor.
    - Cinnamon.
    - Non-concoctions herbs

- Not exactly a wish for additives in blends, I just wish they were like normal designs where we were able to add a custom smoked message for 1P and 3P.
    - The ability to PACK <blend> IN <pipe>
    Ferrik
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    If they add pouches of chew to fumology then Jensen might have to jump on the bandwagon
    Infin
    Yeah, fumology was kinda disappointing. Generic, non-customizable messages and the fact that people can't even see the names you make up when they handle the smokes makes it a bit meh.
  • Phoenecia said:
    - Not exactly a wish for additives in blends, I just wish they were like normal designs where we were able to add a custom smoked message for 1P and 3P.
    As Fumology is a talent (and will continue to be for the foreseeable future), this is not possible.
    Maghak
    edited January 2014
    Sorry, came out as bashing instead of the question I intended
  • Jensen said:
    If they add pouches of chew to fumology then Jensen might have to jump on the bandwagon
    Chew is something we can definitely look into, but it would require some serious work on the Fumology database and overall system for it. Needless to say: we like it, but don't expect to see it for a while.
    Jensen
    Jensen said:
    Is there a reason that talents can't have depth?
    You know I love you, but really?
    [---]
    Areka
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    @Jensen and others - Talents are cheap and one-shots (no learning investment), they provide some of the crafting experience but come with limitations and trade-offs. Could they improved upon? Of course! But that doesn't mean they've no depth or use because they aren't as customizeable as full craft skills. 

Maybe I'm just alone in that the 'mix and match for a taste you like' system seems pretty neat to me, especially as a flavour thing for the game. 
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Oh, I'm not pestering about wanting customizable smoking messages. I'm just relaying what was posted in the fumology request project in the crafters clan. Since talents are, well, talents, of course they're gonna be more limited in scope than the straight up craft skills. Most stuff created through talents with the exception of fletching and bombcrafting are purely for RP purposes anyway.
    Areka
    Areka said:
    @Jensen and others - Talents are cheap and one-shots (no learning investment), they provide some of the crafting experience but come with limitations and trade-offs. Could they improved upon? Of course! But that doesn't mean they've no depth or use because they aren't as customizeable as full craft skills. 

Maybe I'm just alone in that the 'mix and match for a taste you like' system seems pretty neat to me, especially as a flavour thing for the game. 

I think what I said came off more aggressive than I intended. I just enjoy this game and want to see everything brought to its fullest potential. The idea that talents have limited customization because they're cheap does not compute for me. I do however like that they're adding more RP elements like smoking to complete immersion
    Luthier, Ventier, Floristry and Pyrotechnics are talents, too, and you can customize their designs. I'm not sure why being a talent means you can't customize stuff - the precedent already set with talents is that you can, it's just a far more limited range, hence me being a bit disappointed to learn that the smoking wasn't actually customizable.
  • Any way I can get an option to make a tankard or mug as a jewel crafter?

I mean, I can make a cup and a glass. And no, not all tankards are made out of wood. 
  • @Rashar They took out most of the things we had doubled over across crafts. Now, when you buy a crafting license, you're buying access to all of those designs in the craft, since they no longer require them to be made out of anything specific to the class. I.E. Woodcrafts don't have to be made of wood. Etc. So if you want designs that aren't IN the crafts you have, you unfortunately now have to get the license that holds the design type in question.
    imageimage
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I might have mentioned it before in this thread, but please, for the sake of approvers everywhere, please make it physically impossible to submit a design that does not include a proper noun (or variation thereof) in the appearance field.

Let me give an example:
    Design #1   Months Left: 150
    Item type: Shirt  Components:  3 cloth
    Additional Ingredients: NONE
    Allowed: NONE
    Denied: NONE
    Autopay: NO
    Tag(s): shirt.
    Appearance:
    a grey shirt

This is the basic design for shirts. Shirts can be referenced to 'shirt' and 'top'. Now, I want a change so that if someone tries to 'design 1 appearance a white cotton t-shirt', the crafting system would recognize that neither the 'shirt' or 'top' noun had been used separately in the appearance line and give some sort of error message ('This item's appearance needs to include the basic item type in an unaltered form. Please consult 'HELP CRAFTING REFERENCES' for a list of acceptable references.'). Something like that.

What does this mean? It means people can't submit faulty items to the queue. Items such as 'half-mask', 'wyrmscale armour', 'waraxe', 'plate hauberk', and so on and so forth would be recognized by the system as incorrect nouns for their specific template (i.e 'mask', 'scale armour', 'battle axe', 'plate armour', and whatever references might be available in 'HELP CRAFTING REFERENCES'). This also means that you can't accidentally write a chair design for a table and submit it to the queue.

A code limit was already implemented for the length of appearance lines (40 characters or seven words) which makes it impossible to submit items that would be breaking the crafting rules in that regard. I just think that more code enforcements like this would remove a lot of frustration for both people that are submitting and people that are going over the queue, particularly when there is no ambiguity about how the rule is supposed to be applied.
    Could we get a "Designed By" field for designs, for when doing things for other people, or when transferring to an org? It would be purely optional/could be filled in (once, no do-overs) at any time, not just in design submission? I would use comments if those could be added post-approval, since that isn't something everyone wants thrown before the queue. 
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited April 2014
    Mentioned in rage. But. Could container volume get looked at?

Right now, teapots hold the most, at 50 sips, bottles hold 10, flasks hold 10, and cups hold 5(?) and shotglasses 2.

Bottles should hold at -least- as much as teapots. Feel like flasks should hold a bit more than 10, too. 15, 20 or so, maybe?

ETA: I just really don't want an army of vampires drinking booze out of teapots like pansies just because bottles are wtf small for some reason. >.>
    imageimage
    I think bottles are that size because beer bottles vs serving bottles. 
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    -.- Always assumed liquor/wine bottles, since that's what I've seen most people use/rp them as--given I've never seen a small beer-type bottle crafted. :/
    imageimage