Crafting Ideas

Comments

• Erzsebet said:
    -I'd still like a NEWD ALLOW ALL NAME/ORG command for the sharing of designs.

-And a config option that defaults all new designs to autopay

- Settable categories for crafting, maybe? Like one could do NEWD LIST OUTFIT1 and it'd list all the things you associated with said outfit type?

-An option that let's us search designs in a way similar to the way wares in shops works? I.E.

NEWD LIST DIAMOND-DUSTED
      10371  a pair of silver-accented w...  Unpaid      Erzsebet        150
      10372  a soft diamond-dusted white...  Unpaid      Erzsebet        150
      10373  a pair of diamond-dusted wh...  Unpaid      Erzsebet        150
      10374  a simple diamond-dusted whi...  Autopay     Erzsebet        117
      10375  a diamond-dusted and silver...  Unpaid      Erzsebet        150
      10376  a soft, diamond-dusted whit...  Autopay     Erzsebet         83
      10377  a pair of diamond-dusted wh...  Autopay     Erzsebet         83
      10381  a diamond-dusted pouch of w...  Unpaid      Erzsebet        150

** It's not so big a deal when they're all in order like this, but I have a few things meant to go together that are like 46, 624, 5493, 6993, 12005 and so on. Not exact numbers, but spread out like that.

- Possibly also a Newd list all? Which would show you all of YOUR designs a la newd list AND all of the designs shown on NEWD LIST ACCESS

If it's not too much trouble, to have the newd list a bit more like INVCAT, where you can categorise designs. That way I can go newd list tuxedo and have jacket, pants, hat, shoes, tie, all together.
    ErzsebetRenaud
  • edited January 2013
    I'd like if in woodcraft, I could add an interaction message with some items that might display a room wide display. Such as being to throw dice, use puppets, fan yourself with a fan and so on. But this isn't limited to woodcrafting, you could swing a sword, hammer a shield, polish a ring, slam a book closed. I understand you could simply emote, but..

~Looping the strings to your fingers, you set a plain puppet dancing about on the ground.

~Tying the strings to his fingers, Shinji skillfully causes a plain puppet to perform a merry jig.

You could have two or three interaction options with an object.

It might seem silly to some. But it'd be nice to be able to interact with crafted items, like how clothing has the worn and removed messages, rather then merely just .. holding them.
    Macavity
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Oh! And to be able to add comments to designs even after they've been approved would be wonderful, so we can leave notes for ourselves or others whom we share the designs with.
    MoireanErzsebetTeani
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    The only downside I can see to that, is that is not being able to do variant words. If I'm making something blue, generally I call it blue and whatever shade of blue it is. 'The rich blue a vibrant shade of sapphire/indigo/whatever' and so on.
    imageimage
    Haydyn
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Would just need to have a database of approved colours that could be added to, and, yes, it would have some constraints, but it would also create more options than having to have to make 235235 of the same thing.
  • I haven't posted to the forums in ages- but, Areka's dye idea is too good not to post in support of. Really, this is brilliant, and would greatly improve crafting- and encourage more purchasing of crafts, given the customization potential. A database of approved colors would not be hard to create, there are already lists of color names out there that could be copied over easily enough.

It is also a potential gold sink, as, in order to dye an item, it could be necessary to purchase a bottle of dye, perhaps from NPC general wares merchants.

Teani
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited May 2013
    Okay! Time for more crafting suggestions:

There are a few commands I think would make managing designs a bit easier:
    • DESIGN MATCH [appearance|dropped|examined|all]  [text]: Searches your designs (and those you have access to as well) for the specificed text in the specified field. For example: 'design match appearance mahogany' would list 'a mahogany vial', 'a mahogany-hafted spear', and 'sturdy, mahogany-hued boots'.
    • DESIGN <#> DELETE (confirm): Just add a confirmation to this command. I am basically asking for this because of my next suggestion (so people won't lose their designs for trying to DESIGN 1234 DELETE COMMENTS).
    • DESIGN <#> COMMENTS DELETE (confirm): Delete an approved design's comments. Sometimes, there are a lot of comments in a design and it's a bit annoying having to scroll up just to read the design.
    • DESIGN <#> COMMENT: Make it possible to add comments to a design after it has been approved.
    • DESIGN MINE [UNPAID|DRAFT|APPROVED|SUBMITTED|REJECTED|EXPIRED] [||]: Basically, this would function like the current 'DESIGN LIST' command does. You could search for your own drafts, rejected, etc or a specific item type.
    • DESIGN LIST: Make this syntax list all the designs (basically, combine the suggested 'DESIGN MINE' and the current 'DESIGN LIST ACCESS'. It is super annoying not being able to search accessed items together with your own: just bunching them together for 'DESIGN LIST' would solve this problem. Ve'kahi in particular has so many designs and there's no easy way to sift through them all. The purpose of 'DESIGN MINE' would be to make it possible to search designs that you own without having to see the rest, if that is what you prefer.
    • CONFIG DESIGNAPPEARANCE [normal|full]: Changing the config to full would alter the output of 'DESIGN [MINE|LIST] so that the full appearance lines is visible (this would be really neat for those of us with longer wrapwidth):

Normal:
    Design#  Appearance                      Status      Owner        Months
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
         24  a vicious-looking dragon cl...  Approved    Alexina        Perm

Full:
    Design#  Status      Owner        Months   Appearance
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         24  Approved    Alexina      Perm     a vicious-looking dragon claw pendant

So. To summarize:

Make it possible to search designs for a specific term rather than the item type. Add all designs you have access to (via guild, city, house, or just being granted personal access to other crafters' designs) to DESIGN LIST. Keep DESIGN LIST ACCESS in case you want to see only those designs you have access to and not your own. Add DESIGN MINE to replicate the current DESIGN LIST in case you don't want to list all designs that you could potentially craft (DESIGN MINE EXPIRED comes to mind, since not everyone would want to renew designs they do not personally own - even if they have access to them). Make it possible to delete or add comments after a design has been approved. And finally, please -please- make it possible to see the full appearance line for designs when listing them.

The main thing here is to merge 'design list' with 'design list access' as well as make it easier to look through or search designs for whatever you need.

MoireanErzsebet
  • I've been working on these thoughts the last few days with the intent of posting them- with the appearance of the organizing thread, now seems as opportune a time as ever. I don't know if they've been made elsewhere, but if they have, I didn't see it.

Suggestions for Fumology

1. The ability to remain seated while smoking. This is a pretty big distraction, and although it's not a gamebreaking issue by any means, having to stand up to hit a hookah does detract from the aesthetic.

2. When probing a cigarette/cigar/rolled smokable, if rolled with a blend, this only seems to show up on 'ii', not 'probe'. It also is not revealed in a shop wares list. Revealing the blend when probed or brought up on wares would be helpful, especially since the same rolled smokable design can be rolled with various blends, and blend names add character.

3. The ability to smoke blends out of pipes. It seems silly that this is not yet possible, and although hookahs and cigarettes/cigars/etc. are nice, there's a certain style to smoking a pipe. More RP options are always a good thing!

4. More ingredients for potential blends, such as the harvestable berries. Dried fruits are commonly used in shisha tobacco blends, so it's kind of surprising that they are lacking atm. I know it might be staggering to have to code in every existing fruit in the game, but perhaps a seller of dried fruits, apples, oranges, plums, etc., prepared for this purpose could more easily enable the addition of fruits?

5. A shady seller in an alley somewhere who sells some 'special' ingredients for blends, like poppy resin, concentrated cactus weed oil, or diviner's sage, which give a slightly more involved message upon consumption in a blend- or even actual intoxication somehow?

6. More fire-creating devices for the RP aesthetic, namely matchbooks and matchboxes. Delve seems pretty advanced, and it wouldn't seem out of line for Ood to start selling the luciferin powder required to make them. Matchbooks could have 20 uses before they run out, and boxes 50-100? We've got tinderbox, so it's hardly a necessity, but potential RP props seem to go over well.

7. A 'humidor' container - woodcraft or furniture?

8. Insert Areka's perfumes idea here as a potential fumology addition. Or would that be its own talent? Scents seem to qualify as fumes of a sort.

HaydynArbre
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Please god give me more drugs to do.
    LinAngwe
    More things are popping up:

• Add an explanation to the 'WEAR <item> ON <location>'-syntax to 'help clothing' and 'help attire'.
    • Add something about the $(thing$) flag to 'help brewing'.
    • Supposedly, placing 'a' before the $(dye$) tag will replace it with 'an' if you dye it in colours that start with a vowel ('an orange hat' or 'an emerald-hued shield'). If this actually is true, add a clause about it in 'help design guidelines'.
    • If you in fact are not able to put 'a'  before the dye tag, change it so that we can. 'a $(dye$)-embroidered shirt' turning into 'an ivory-embroidered shirt' would be very nifty.
  • KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    Can we position chairs/stools at bars, please?

Emelle
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Pretty sure they changed that, but existing bar designs weren't changed.

• KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    Eleanor said:
    Pretty sure they changed that, but existing bar designs weren't changed.
    I just made a bar, crafted it the other day. Attempted to position stools at it. And received the message that I couldn't position them there. I'll double check though. Thanks!

Could be that they thought they'd changed it! It was a while ago iirc.

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited May 2013
    Comforter, duvet and throw synonyms for blanket type.

Pockets for vests.

Lantern/lamp/candelabra/torch for furniture.

Candlestick synonym for candleholder.

Bunk synonym for bed.

Rack as a synonym for stand. Armor racks!
    Alexina
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I thought I posted it, but maybe not: Can we PLACE items on beds? I constantly want to lay clothing out there or put @Eulalie's awesome pillow on the bed and can't.
  • Another suggestion for Fumology:

Currently, if a hookah is placed somewhere, and a flame sigil is attached, the flame sigil goes into the hookah's contents, making it impossible to fill with a blend. This should ideally be fixed, so that functional hookahs can be placed in public establishments.

• I would make sure that has been bugged, just to be sure someone upstairs is aware of it.
    @Moirean: There's already a rack design. See wine rack.

edited July 2013
    I'd like if we could make so the item type/references were hardcoded in for the appearance/dropped lines (kind of like how character limit was hardcoded in). There has been a lot of designs trying to circumvent this lately (halfmask, minidress, etcetera), and I'm not really sure if it's because people don't know the rules or just try to bend them. Either way, having the item type (or any of the accepted references) alone by itself in the appearance/dropped shouldn't be impossible to code in, right?
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Minidress is mine. I wasn't aware it was against the rules to use the keyword like that?
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Crafting nouns can't be obscured in any way. So you can't do 'minidress' because 'dress' is combined with another word. Likewise, you can't do 'half-mask', but 'eye mask' is allowed.
    The best thing would just be to go over 'help design guidelines' so it's not such a massive wall of text. Crafting rules should be intuitive; when making a dress or mask, it seems reasonable to assume you would be able to create a minidress or half-mask. @Tok was amazing when he did stuff for crafters, and I miss him.
    edited September 2013
    I'd be really happy if the code checked for the proper noun being used in a design. That is, if you tried making 'a cotton hat' out of a shirt design, the game would recognize that neither the word 'shirt' or 'top' (which is listed as an acceptable replacement in 'help crafting references') had been used and give an error message to the crafter trying to submit it. It seems like such an easy change to make, and it would save up a lot of time for crafters (both to those submitting designs, reading them over, and rejecting them). It would be even better if it checked so that the noun stood on its own (as per 'help design guidelines): meaning that 'a cotton top' would be accepted whereas 'a cottontop' would be recognized as an unlisted reference for the item.

I'd also love it if (assuming this is ever implemented) all current approved designs got checked to see that they had a word in their 'appearance' field that matched the base design.
    Moirean
  • Going to give this a bump, because Christmas and feeling giving and whatnot!

• ....crafters guild.....

• That's a bit beyond the scope of what I'm personally able to do!

• I have faith in you, young one...You can do it...

• PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    So, I just saw this get bumped, and I know I'm late to the party, buuuut.... >_>

Forging
    o If possible, could pauldrons get fixed? As it is, you can design them, but not actually make them, and it's been like that for months now.

Cooking
    o For cooks, a recipe for making waffles, or making it an alternative to the pancakes recipe.

o Be able to make bagels in cooking, maybe as an alternative to the rolls recipe.

Cooking Ingredients
    o Beets
    o Currants
    o Tapioca
    o Cassava root
    o Taro root

Jewelcrafting
    o Lantern
    o Pocketwatch
    o Compass
    o Plaque

Woodcrafting
    o Birdhouse/birdfeeder
    o Paintbrush

Furniture
    o Chandelier

Tailoring
    o Sleeves

Floristry
    o More flowers!
    o Pansy
    o Lotus
    o Bird of Paradise flower
    o Trillium

Trying to think of other things, but they'll probably pop back up sooner or later.