Crafting Ideas

Comments

• ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    Could we get a (preferably consistent) idea of what's too modern for Aetolia and what isn't, possibly? Maybe this belongs in lore, rather than here, but a solid idea of where the line is, would be great, since it's apparently shifting around all of a sudden.

If sunglasses aren't too modern, what else that we've been told for RL years (rightfully so) is too modern is suddenly kosher?

Query mostly aimed at but not limited to @Razmael who I'm told is the person whoever's shelling as Becue lately talked to about this latest ruling.
    imageimage
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    There is not a consistent year or period to define Aetolia. Different technologies evolve at different paces and in different ways than our world. I can't speak to that specific ruling because I don't know, but trying to find a blanket rule of any variety is going to be fruitless. 

A better question, in crafting and most other things, is this: do I want this because it seems like a natural and intuitive product of Sapient technology, or do I just want it?
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Vhummim
    Well, the answer to that re: this ruling, is definitely the latter, because they're pitch black reflective sunglasses. :/

@Oleis Not asking for a blanket rule, just some kind of idea where the line is so I know what to approve and what to reject, since we're apparently deciding what's kosher and what's not on a case-by-case basis.
    imageimage
  • Ooh? So we can have things that we develop using contextually appropriate skills, tools and materials? Time for SCIENCE!
    If -that- were the case, @Vhummim, we could have clockwork stuff that does clockwork-viable things. Like. Clocks.
    imageimage
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Man, are we going to have Aviators up in here now? :(
    Apparently, as long as we don't point-blank say that they're meant to keep sun out of the eyes, sunglasses are completely kosher.

-.-
    imageimage
    edited April 2015
    Though, @Oleis, I do have a question with that. Ages ago, converse high tops were in the queue. Canvas laced shoes with a sap sole aren't outside of Aetolia's technology, but the style and implication were completely and too clearly a modern reference, which was ruled a no-go. Will this still be the case? It's pretty easy to shoe-horn.

Edit: for more in that case, things like baseball hats (which do not require modern tech, but their context and styling and societal vernacular are the problem), etc.
    Erzsebet
  • My sunglasses are something like 'a pair of dark sun glasses'. They're thinly sliced gemstones or something, tinted to keep the sun out? Either way, they're mine and artifact and I totally rock them.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Ishin
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Toz said:

My sunglasses are something like 'a pair of dark sun glasses'. They're thinly sliced gemstones or something, tinted to keep the sun out? Either way, they're mine and artifact and I totally rock them.

I used to have a pair of goggles that basically did just that ages ago. In fact, I -still- have two pair of goggles on Ishin. I'm not entirely sure why tinting something is forbidden tech. Can someone asplain?
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    It's not the tinting that's the problem. It's either:
    a) trying to make something with completely modern association/intention/styling (like my issue with Aviators becoming a thing. Ancient china had sun glasses of a sort, with smoky quartz, but I have like, MAYBE 2% faith that anything made in Aet would be honoured/worn like that, the likelyhood is far more to be Neo or Gary Oldman in Dracula or something, the latter being an iffy 'on the line' - though I also don't like tuxedos and fedoras because I'm a grumpist)
    b) Trying to do something more than what Aetolian tech can do (like UV protective film/treatments, etc)
    There are many things I could say to that, because your commentary confuses me...but tbh it's not worth the discourse.

"Okay."
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    In short: Tinted glass isn't the issue. The issue is when the design implies something that is too modern (either in the design itself, its intention/context, or its construction/materials/physical feasibility). Tinting something isn't forbidden tech.
    Erzsebet
  • Then it's alright if we style it appropriately? Would inventing new style names help? Aetolia does seem to love its made-up names for things.
    Ishin
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    In my opinion there are far too many "modern" things in the game already. Also, there are far too many aliases for different things to make people lazy and not attempt to describe something and instead trust that people will google whatever it is they have created to know what it looks like.

For example:
    A dress is a dress, possibly a gown, and could be described as having different cuts and designs. PUT EFFORT IN THE DESIGN ELEMENT rather than use a fancy word that people have to google and call it a fucking dress.

A hat is a hat. If it looks like a gangter/mobster fedora, describe the rim and the top, the slant and the design in a way that makes people know what it looks like and calle it a hat, not a fedora!

My opinion. I know that not everyone agrees. :neutral:

Ishin
  • There's a reason we use words to describe styles in the real world.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    yeah I have no clue what half the weird crap is with like a BLAHKABUOLOL style whatever.
    The idea of using style words in the sdesc is not so one can be lazy with the design, but so the sdesc serves its purpose--to give the viewer a quick synopsis of what the item is/looks like. Because let's be honest--very few people actually read the descs of clothing not their own.

For that matter, even those of us who do, sometimes have issues doing so because of how the code works. If they happen to have a second pair of pants in their inventory, it makes it so you can't look at the ones your RP partner is actually wearing, etc.
    imageimage
    Still say a dress is a dress. I don't want to have to google things when I read a short desc.

Sometimes people fall back on the word and then expect others to know or google what a sherwani is instead of actually doing a good job describing the thing in the desc. It's a long, usually collarless coat with hidden buttons along the front. It's a long coat! Why use a word that people might have to google instead of describing the thing?

edited April 2015
    Because a sherwani and a longcoat are different things?

And the word sherwani draws up a very different image when used than a longcoat--also point of fact, googling longcoat does not give you pictures of sherwani.

Not sure why googling a word, be it a style of thing or otherwise, you're unfamiliar with is a big deal. Or just reading the actual desc for an idea of what it looks like if you don't know what it is and are feeling too lazy to google.

I have no idea what all these forging alternates are, at least not without scouring google and sometimes Areka's brain--doesn't mean Areka should be limited to describing a thing as a dagger instead of a seax, when she means to describe the latter. She still does a bamf job descing the thing to be what it is, she's not using it as a lazy short-cut, she's using it 'cause it is what it is.

Not sure why it's an issue, ultimately.

Is like. Harsh and rough can mean the same thing. But if harsh is more accurate to your intent, why would you use the other?
    imageimage
    'cause if it ain't Rough it ain't Right.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    AldricHaven
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I think the big line is if a vast majority of people won't know what something is because it's so obscure, and doesn't evoke an image to them it's probably still missing the point of being that specific completely.
    Teani
  • Erzsebet said:

Not sure why googling a word, be it a style of thing or otherwise, you're unfamiliar with is a big deal.

Love you to death (and you know that), but citing this in defense of something when you yourself on the forums have previously cited, "I know I could do x, but I'm lazy" as reason(s) not to implement things, or reasons to implement things, is soooomewhat hypocritical.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    edited April 2015
    Of course googling a longcoat won't give me pictures of a sherwani, but if I read a good extended description of the longcoat someone is wearing, I will imagine what it will look like just fine. It's just that -sometimes- people count on you already having an image in your head when you read the word sherwani in the short desc and they won't put as much effort in describing the actual cut in the extended. You might not be one of these people, but there are some like that. I'd rather not give them the option of slacking when describing an item.

When I, for the sake of this discussion, googled the word sherwani and watched the images, the first thing that popped into my head was "Oh, so it's a kind of long coat." I'd never heard of it before and that's still how I would describe it. What is so wrong with allowing those who are "lazy" to paint their own image of what you are wearing without google?

an embroidered, collarless longcoat with concealed buttons
    This gives me an idea what I'm looking at, and if I am in a hurry, I can create my own image of what it actually looks like.

a partially embroidered, red sherwani
    This makes me have to google if I don't know what a sherwani is before I can even figure out what part of the body it goes on.

(using this as a model: http://cdn.indusdiva.com/44876-thickbox/red-banarasi-jacquard-art-silk-and-dupion-sherwani.jpg)

If they want to know more specifics, they will look at sherwani, but it should not be necessary to "look item" for a brief interaction to build up an image of what someone looks like, nor to use google. Sorry, @Erzsebet, I just can't agree with you there.

Aldric said:

Erzsebet said:

Not sure why googling a word, be it a style of thing or otherwise, you're unfamiliar with is a big deal.

Love you to death (and you know that), but citing this in defense of something when you yourself on the forums have previously cited, "I know I could do x, but I'm lazy" as reason(s) not to implement things, or reasons to implement things, is soooomewhat hypocritical.
    Not seeing where I'm being hypocritical. She's totally completely allowed to be lazy in this regard--I'm not saying she -has- to google anything, just that doing so isn't a big deal. (I personally google the everloving unicorns out of almost everything I encounter that I don't already know though, so grain of salt, etc. Of course, I consider googling the word instead of reading the desc the lazy route, personally.) Reading a description of the item is an easy way to avoid googling if you'd rather not, and most people use their attires well-enough to indicate what part of the body a thing is being worn on, to look at in conjunction with the sdesc, even if you feel like being lazy enough to not read the desc either.

If I want to design a sherwani, I want to call it a sherwani because ultimately, it's a sherwani. COULD I desc it as a longcoat? Yes. Could. But it's still a sherwani. And if I didn't know what one was, I'd rather have someone desc it that way (like Areka and her seax/other forging alts I'd never heard of before) so I can pull it up on google and see what it is.
    imageimage
  • I am going to step in and state to keep this thread for crafting ideas, as that is its intent.

If you wish to continue on a course of action there are in game means we can appease to (IE Message Becue), however this is spiraling ever so dangerously into the domain of defensive action when that is not the intents of the forums.

Thank you, from your friendly Celani!
    Dristin
  • HI, HAVING A HIDDEN OOC REFERENCE NOTE WOULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. THANK YOU. 
  • Lim said:

HI, HAVING A HIDDEN OOC REFERENCE NOTE WOULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. THANK YOU. 

This has already been brought up and, unfortunately, won't be an added feature.
  • I 10900033737 times out of ten will not read the long description of an item. I'm a pretty avid reader and RPer, but I'm just not going to do it. Unfortunately, it's up to you to tell me what your item is in 50 characters or less. ( or whatever ).

Have no problem googling what a thingie is. (LOOKING AT YOU, WEIRD GREEK TOGA DRESS WEARING @AURESAE). Will do that before I read the description which, let's be honest. Most times you assume the reader knows what your item is. You can tell me all day about how awesome your fedora is, but I'm still seeing a cowboy hat until I Google it.
  • Delete crafting, embrace nudity.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021