Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Vharen said:
    Things in a genre get compared. Criticism and comparisons facilitate growth. 

It's also more likely, on an Aetolian forum, to hear about the good things or things people would like to see from other MUDs as opposed to ones from Aetolia. Though, even for that, Aetolians in general seem to be more positive overall from just my past couple weeks on the forums.

On topic, I wish I could customize my scythe without spending credits. 

Let me try and correct the point I was trying to convey: Its okay for us to take some ideas from other MUDs, even though I've never really been a fan of copy catting. What really irritates me is when someone wants to make this MUD, or any other MUD a borderline carbon copy of some other MUD that they hail from I.E wanting to make Aetolia as close to Lusternia as much as possible. If you want that MUD, then go play it. But don't try and drag every little thing that the other MUD has to offer over here.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    You can't forge scythes?
  • MkO had some interesting concepts, but in trying to separate themselves from the other IRE games, I think they really hurt themselves. MkO doesn't have reincarnations, because they wanted to stay true to the source material. And while I applaud that attempt, the fact that the source material had to be converted into a playable game to begin with means that they've already put a very, very wide gap between themselves and the material. For an IRE game to be without this mechanic? Seems more detrimental to the game as a whole than it doing any good to appeal to the diehard Feist fans.

I guess that's an IRE-related rage, but it'll do here!
  • Atrapoema said:
    To be fair, there are some things (both mechanics and rules) that could stand to be the default standard across all IRE MUDs. For instance, Imperian is still stuck in '05 with ridiculous guild laws that will put you on probation for learning, as a novice, without the guild's express permission. And they can't even tell you why they do this. Aetolia abolished all that crap ages ago and has been absolutely better for it since. I can think of more than a few mechanics Aetolia could stand to snatch from the other MUDs to better benefit its playerbase, too.
    Wut? This has not been the practice for years. If it's happening again, then extra blech. 

I'm playing Aetolia in part because it has the most well-balanced game between crafting, RP, and PK with the best assortment of mechanical progress. It's the best game, IMO, that IRE has right now. That doesn't mean there aren't things that are useful and nifty from other games.

As small as it is, I'd personally LOVE the AB <skillname> option. I keep trying to do it, it makes me sad every time it fails. And I also dislike the way crafting approvals are handled here. It does not seem to be -any- faster than Imperian crafting approvals, and seems to be even less consistent with rules applications and less good about catching -actual- errors instead of perceived errors that are really just complaints about styles of writing.

Aetolia is unique, but that doesn't mean new ideas can't be brought up from other games to improve what's here. Especially ideas that emerge from other games within the -same- company. Better mechanics are never a bad thing.
    imageimage
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Lin said:
    You can't forge scythes?
    Nope!

And several forged things see little to no use! /grumpgrumpgrump
  • Yah, there's a guild in Imperian doing it (again?). It might have been a taaad bit OOC to press the secretary about why it's the way it is, but I couldn't help myself. Turns out, they really don't have a reason for it, and he struggled to even get me a half-unicorned one.

As for crafting approvals, how are they handled in Imperian? We used to have an admin-centric approval system (with, possibly, admin-approved approvers?), but it could take ages before anything was passed through, so the system was streamlined. It's honestly much, much better than it used to be, and I'd hate to see it change.
  • Scythes are made from a Hematurgy ritual, so no go on the Forging customization. I'm definitely not sure, but don't the other classes with weapons not made through forging typically have a way to customize it?

• Sents had to buy the artifact dhuriv, but they took those away, so nope.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    All, I think, save Sentinel Dhurives. Just 'cause. I'm pretty sure I've seen custom scythes before, though.
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    You can't customize dhurives or maces. You can customize mage and shaman staves (both have an artifact version).

Scythes and athames probably fit into the first group.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Sacrificial daggers can also be used as athames, and customized. 
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    No custom maces? Since when?!
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    Areka said:
    Sacrificial daggers can also be used as athames, and customized. 
    I didn't know that! Awesome!
    Angwe said:
    No custom maces? Since when?!
    Since we stopped having artifact ones.
  • Same time we lost custom dhurivs
  • Atrapoema said:
    Yah, there's a guild in Imperian doing it (again?). It might have been a taaad bit OOC to press the secretary about why it's the way it is, but I couldn't help myself. Turns out, they really don't have a reason for it, and he struggled to even get me a half-unicorned one.

As for crafting approvals, how are they handled in Imperian? We used to have an admin-centric approval system (with, possibly, admin-approved approvers?), but it could take ages before anything was passed through, so the system was streamlined. It's honestly much, much better than it used to be, and I'd hate to see it change.
    Imperian has really just taken a serious turn for the absolute worse. :( Every time I wander about over there I am made extra sad.

Crafting approvals are handled by designers who have either been hand-selected by the admin-volunteer in charge or after having successfully crafted a certain number of designs in their trade skills. I -believe- it is 100+. Which SHOULD suggest that they have at least a decent understanding of the laws of English and the assorted crafting rules specific to Imperian. The hand-selected ones got thrown on all the trade skills to improve turnover rate. Approvers get paid credits for their work. I think 1 credit per 4 reviews. If someone is making a lot of stupid rejections/approvals, they get tossed from the program. We can see how long something has been sitting in the approval queue by date and things that have been there too long turn red. 

Aetolian Rage: Having to write a letter four. times. before words actually appear in said letter. Having weird issues with white space vanishing selectively when composing stuff too. Arghblargh.
    imageimage
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Buying lots and lots of cryptic chests and the most valuable item I got was hunting boon tokens. Didn't get any of the new minipets, either. I feel so unlucky.

:(
  • Illidan said:
    People that compare Aetolia to any of the other IRE MUDs, or other MUDs in general. Anytime someone starts a sentence off with "Well in Achaea/Lusternia/Imperian we have blah blah blah." This isn't either of those MUDs. This is unicornsing Aetolia. Keep the shit that stays in other MUDs in other MUDs, and don't unicornsing bring it here. I'm sure if we wanted those elements of the game, we'd go and play that game. We're producing our own unique features, and I don't appreciate people trying to take that away by always comparing/wanted to copy every fucking thing from every other MUD. 
    Comparing a game that has relatively the same mechanics, owners and play-style to another game? Even one being an exact copy of the other? Cant imagine why people would do that :/.

It's frankly natural for people to compare Aetolia or any of the other Muds to one of the others. They can express an idea or improvement the other game has which would make a great change here. Several of the ideas are actually worthwhile.
  • edited July 2013
    Angwe said:
    ...Munsia, you straight-up refused to roleplay or even stay in-character on multiple occasions, forcing people to roleplay around your stubborn OOCness. That's why I have you on ignore, not 'cause our characters clash. Because of you, the player.
    No offense, but I don't care about your character, or you...nor did my comment have anything to do with you, or a situation involving you. 

Also, I'll have you know that on grid I've never broken the IC persona. However, don't involve yourself in tells with me, or messages...let alone messages that are emotes (what the heck is that anyway?)  because you will 90% of the time be met with OOC in those regards. Do I care what you feel like in those areas? No. I'm a narcissistic player that cares about their own gains and only their own gains. 
    You know messages and tells are both IC right?
    Atrapoema
  • Lin said:
    You know messages and tells are both IC right?
    Find me an admin that'll enforce your idea of that in game and we'll talk. 
  • Lin's assessment seems correct to me.

i am rapture coder
    XavinEsperMoireanIllikaalArbre
  • Omei said:
    Lin's assessment seems correct to me.
    Pretty sure I'm not allowed to post issues on the forums, unless the rules here are different

In any case this is how it plays out. 

You don't end up enjoying the fact that I refuse to roleplay with you through messages (ESPECIALLY MESSAGES) let alone tells, you issue over it. Admins turn it into a mild warning my way, and they inform you to ignore me, or don't talk to me.
  • Lin said:
    It's your job to learn the rules of the game you're playing.

Oh I know the rules. There's a difference between knowing the rules, and bending them your way. I have no overly large interest to interact with half of the games populace. If I require something of someone I attempt to do it through the most IG ways possible, otherwise I think this is a beautiful deterrent for anyone talking to me ever.
    Oh god it's Nhenna all over again.
    Sarita
  • you don't know the rules, because you were just wrong right there about messages and tells being out of character- this is not an RP optional game. Every act you take is IC unless you have the consent of all parties involved to be OOC.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• edited July 2013
    Lin said:
    Oh god it's Nhenna all over again.
    Or it's just Munsia. I've been doing it like this for 10 years.  We done derailing over your jihad? 
    Toz said:
    you don't know the rules, because you were just wrong right there about messages and tells being out of character- this is not an RP optional game. Every act you take is IC unless you have the consent of all parties involved to be OOC.

Opinion. I've already laid out how it will work. 
    We actually are. Let's get back on track, you're right.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School

Alright, let's move on from this.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • Regarding the scythe thing Riluo and someone else both had ice drenched, and shadows coated scythes back in the day.  I think it might have been Kadvar but do not quote me on it.
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
This discussion has been closed.