Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• I'm kind of racist, to be honest.

I find non-humanish characters to be ugly. Excepting perhaps the cat critters.

Every alt I ever think about making is a human. :P
    IshinSlyphe
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    edited April 2014
    I don't understand what people are doing? You mean, like, our characters are mostly white or something?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    wat
    It was a topic that got discussed a few years ago, how most of the characters in Aetolia are either white or non-comparable to RL races (ie blue fish people, green lizardfolk, etc). 
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Someone has to marry sue.
    Rivas
  • Nalor said:
    I meant more of people being racist icly but over ooc stuff. If its ooc then make sure its ooc dont send IC tells with ooc context. (Considering ENGLISH is an ooc term) @Aishia
    Are people insulting you for being ESL? If so either issue them or shoot their gm or city leader an ooc message and let them know the person is being a racist unicorn. Could also name and shame because that isn't cool for them to harass you about.
  • NalorNalor UK
    edited April 2014
    Yes and no @Orus bout the ESL

And im not going to name and shame as its a forum rule and I'll most likely get banned!

Also Issues never get sorted out so thats pointless, I'll just stop being helpful! I dont care if its on clan etc as normally it's just a laugh but sending it in tells thats another story!
    Mudlet Bashing System for sale. Message if interested
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Moirean said:
    It was a topic that got discussed a few years ago, how most of the characters in Aetolia are either white or non-comparable to RL races (ie blue fish people, green lizardfolk, etc). 
    pfft
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Nalor said:
    Yes and no @Orus bout the ESL

And im not going to name and shame as its a forum rule and I'll most likely get banned!

Also Issues never get sorted out so thats pointless, I'll just stop being helpful! I dont care if its on clan etc as normally it's just a laugh but sending it in tells thats another story!
    The amount of people who are ESL in Aetolia are astounding. I am so sorry that you've been harassed about not knowing english as well as the person doing the harassing, that is suckish.

I honestly do urge you to reach out to the leaders of your organization so they can talk to the person doing so, because there is no need for such negativity. I know we  (as an Aetolian body)  tend to correct misspellings and grammar almost automatically sometimes, but if you send a 'hey, I'm ESL so please bear with me' message to them, that should stop.

After all, no one IS perfect at the grammar, even native speakers. 

• Cant be assed with all the bs .. I'll just stop helping people with coding!
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Ishin was actually quite black for a looooong time. I thought it was interesting, because there were so few 'black' people.

I feel your pain, @Nalor, and I try not to hate on people who are ESL, unless it's something small like correct there/their, or than/then, because I can see how that stuff can be really like...'What?' to a non native speaker. Hell, a LOT of native speakers still can't get it right. In which case I happily correct them too ^_^
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Teani
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I'm not a native English speaker and I confess that I sometimes turn into a grammar nazi. However, if asked not to correct someone, I generally stop.
    There are some people who -are- native English speakers who are terrible with grammar, so people shouldn't hold ESL against you. Some people's inability to use than/then properly is one of my pet peeves (and I know some of those doing this are native speakers), though it happens so often I've stopped correcting it.

IshinAryanne
    edited April 2014
    Regarding our characters being white, Ariadne is an Iranian Pochahantas because I wanted her to be hawt as balls and that combination is the most beautiful thing possible in my head. I do really worry, now that I've playing her all heavily forestal and with her distinctive speech patterns, that it might come off badly and insensitive-white-person/Katy-Perryish-using-a-culture-as-a-fashion-statement.

Regarding the ESL thing, that's dumb and people should chillax.
    Ishin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I try to make fun of everyone regardless of race!
    Ishin
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I correct everyone's grammar; I'm not prejudiced.  I do, however, recognize that constantly correcting is negative and makes someone feel needlessly stupid, so I try to restrain myself from doing it with every mistake and just try to do a little at a time so someone can learn versus being insulted.  I feel like it's a text game, so you should be doing as best you can to make your text correct.

That being said, I thought ESL meant English for Students of Other Languages (and was ESOL) and therefore a -class- and not a -person-.  I thought the person was just "not a native speaker" or whatever.  Please correct me here.
    Erzsebet
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I just assumed in this context ESL would stand for English as a Second Language.

AryanneIshinRivas
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Ishin said:
    because there were so few 'black' people.
    Welcome to IRE/Muds.

Setne is of course black, because I'm black, but he's not fat, because I want to live a fantasy.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    AryanneJensen
    Rage at coding for writhing. Handling every other affliction is so user-friendly, but to writhe effectively, I have to keep separate trigger lists of initiations, periodic messages, and failures, not to mention setting timers if I want to make sure I don't just permanently stop writhing for any given reason, etc. etc. Such a paaain.
    @Setne ....you're black?

Just kidding bro, you know I love you <3

I do have a rage, though. I rage at people who draw this massive line between coms and non-coms, and at the coms who treat non-coms like shit. I've seen it happen in city, guild, hell even Order(not on Ish), and I just...it bothers me. It would be like me being a com IRL(Marine) denigrating the piss out of some non-com(lawyer). It's -not- going to end well, because while I might beat him up, he's probably going to sue me for everything including my small hairs. I try(very hard sometimes) to get along with both sides, and I think I'm largely successful. I try to show respect, and in return, I seem to GET a lot of respect in turn. It isn't rocket science, and I -KNOW- that if -I- can do it, with all of my temper and anger issues, that there is simply no excuse for anyone else other than them being a juvenile bitch.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    TeaniKatszia
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox

Ishin said:
    It would be like me being a com IRL(Marine) denigrating the piss out of some non-com(lawyer). It's -not- going to end well, because while I might beat him up, he's probably going to sue me for everything including my small hairs. I
    I hope fear of retribution isn't the only thing keeping you from beating someone that looks at you funny up.

• BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Is it wrong I read "retribution" and assumed that Serrice meant the skill?
    Ishin
    @Serrice - lol no. I actually, for all my inclination towards it, don't like to fight unless I have to. I also don't like hurting people who don't deserve it.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • @Ishin wouldn't fight a lawyer anyway, he's scared of what @Faerah'd do to him!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

IshinFaerah
    F'in A I am, @Toz. @Faerah OP!
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Faerah
    I'm pretty much a non-comm these days. I dunno if I rage about that or not.
  • @Ishin - Is that really a big issue here? It was a huge issue in Imperian but I have honestly not seen very much of it here. Actually, a lot of the people I think of as your heavy PKers are also people who are heavy RPers which is...really odd to see from my background. Aetolia seems to favor RPers over PKers in terms of social expectations. Imperian is the reverse. I've never once heard anyone use the term 'masturbatory RP' here, for example. Most of what gets posted to the forums, the idea of the 'think' command, the Thank You thread would all get some pretty negative responses in Imperian when I played. RPers couldn't advance easily in an organization while PKers had an easy path to favors. RPKers were rare people. 

It -is- oddly hard to train/practice here. There's not as much support for newbie fighters. There's not as much infrastructure that allows them to get in relatively safe practice or practice on par with their experience level. 
    imageimage
  • Lin said:
    Rage at coding for writhing. Handling every other affliction is so user-friendly, but to writhe effectively, I have to keep separate trigger lists of initiations, periodic messages, and failures, not to mention setting timers if I want to make sure I don't just permanently stop writhing for any given reason, etc. etc. Such a paaain.
    No you dont, lua display(gmcp.Char.Vitals.writhing) it sets to 1 when youve writhed successfully... :P  @Lin

Lin
  • Nothing changing. Ever. Except superficial changes. No consequences for your actions, no way to 'get back' at someone if you let your character lose, because you can't make them let theirs lose except through pk...and pk deaths, who cares?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

IshinJensen
    Nalor said:
    Lin said:
    No you dont, lua display(gmcp.Char.Vitals.writhing) it sets to 1 when youve writhed successfully... :P  @Lin

oh my god
    Ishin
  • Rashar said:
    I'm kind of racist, to be honest.

I find non-humanish characters to be ugly. Excepting perhaps the cat critters.

Every alt I ever think about making is a human. :P

Me too, to be honest. I've tried to make chars that don't look human, but I just can't feel it. I've got a troll alt at the moment and I'm already talking myself into a reincarnation. In fact, in the two months I've had him, I still haven't managed to write a properly trollish desc for him, so I'm embarrassed to have him stop in rooms with other people.

Oddly enough, raja is the one exception for me too. And atavian but they're just humans with wings so they don't exactly count.

And it's not a 'prettiness' thing either. I'm quite happy to describe characters as ugly/fat/whatever. It's just the human bit that I have to insist on.
This discussion has been closed.