Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• Vadi has youtube videos up that explain in painful detail each and every step of making basic triggers/aliases/scripts. Also his accent is glorious.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

JaslineAngwe
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Ok, whatever, nevermind.
  • Toz said:
    Vadi has youtube videos up that explain in painful detail each and every step of making basic triggers/aliases/scripts. Also his accent is glorious.
    Ah Vadi, so useful yet so cold.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Having been one of those players that used to have to manual -everything- from sipping to curing, I would argue that to do well you require a system.  Firstaid helps with this dramatically but reaching endgame without something to assist you bashing is going to be a headache.  Also having a map window and an orgtell/says/tells window is a significant improvement to game quality over a vanilla game experience.  
    Aryanne
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I actually have an immense problem using mudlet too, so I can understand @Moirean's rage. I feel the same way too sometimes. I was pretty versatile with zscript, at least enough to where I could make my own lycan AI back when Balzic and Tyrak were both playing regularly. It is/was quite ugly, but damn if it didn't work pretty darn well.

I think one of my biggest issues is not having a list of variables to look through. A lot of times in cmud I would go through and make all my variables first, so I already had'em there, and then I'd use the list while I was going through and writing whatever script thing I was doing. I still don't know -any- kind of real technical terms, never taken a coding class or anything like that. Everything I know is from breaking someone else's stuff and making it work for me. That, and blowing up Balzic and some other buddies on AIM/Skype for help and having them explain it to me Barney-style.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Areka
  • I do think it would be easier for those of us who came up on zscript to transition to mudlet if we'd never touched zscript. The similarity is enough to make it SEEM like we should know wtf we are doing, but there are enough differences that it just ends up being tremendously frustrating. 

I grasp it better when I just start from scratch and assume nothing. 

imageimage
    Ishin
  • MaghakMaghak The heights of Stormcaller Crag
    If people are having trouble with Lua, may I recommend CLANHELP KLL? There are a significant number of players in the group who can help with system building or programming related issues.
    Ishin
    edited March 2014
    I toss the newbs into KLL when I am around. It just bums me out a lot to hear new players say things like "OK, I'm going to logout/turn off tells/etc for a bit so I can read this stuff to make some settings." That's...I dunno, it just seems the opposite of gameplay. 

Edit: Maybe someone could make a mini starter setup for mudlet or something? I made one for zMUD ages ago to give newbies something really simple that was both functional and would serve as examples for making basic settings, but nobody uses CMUD anymore, so I haven't bothered updating it. 
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Daskalos also has the Ducky system I think he calls it, Moirean, and I think its' free. Maybe @Daskalos could comment on it here? As far as mudlet goes...I used firstaid for a while when I first started playing again, and it worked pretty well for just bashing and stuff. So that could be decent for the curing side of things. Making aliases in mudlet isn't generally too hard though.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • I bashed to 85 on firstaid. Yeleni with Duckie, then I got TW.

Didn't discover the auto bash attacker thingie until like.. level 95. Man, what a game changer.

Because eff hitting b over and over again to hit things.
    edited March 2014
    Yeah I'm not talking about systems so much as basic little offensive set up stuff. Systems tend to be fairly complex, so they aren't really good examples of basic code. I mean more like a targetting alias, a really basic status bar, a really simple autobasher, a basic if/then for like rebound razing, stuff that people can look at to see basic coding examples and easily build on to set up their own offense.
    Areka
    Elyni recovered that one Kaeus made and tossed it out for free
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Ishin said:
    Daskalos also has the Ducky system I think he calls it, Moirean, and I think its' free. Maybe @Daskalos could comment on it here? As far as mudlet goes...I used firstaid for a while when I first started playing again, and it worked pretty well for just bashing and stuff. So that could be decent for the curing side of things. Making aliases in mudlet isn't generally too hard though.

Duckie is meant as a basic system that people can look at and easily emulate. It's more of a 'starter kit' than a system, but does have a few features in it, such as the autobasher.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Duckie is for CMUD. 
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    When I get some time I'll post the system I use for bashing, or at least the autobasher/autosipper part. I need to update it for other Shadow-aligned classes as far as bashing attacks. 
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn

Oh, how convinient that the topic is on systems or whatever. Because my rage is about maps. I love this Mudbot mapper thing, but the map I have is worse than a soup sandwich. I'll move from Room A to Room B, and I'll skip to some entirely unrelated area on my fancy schmancy map in the corner of my GUI that isn't even Room C, it's like Room Quad-Delta Epsilon Squared. You might even think I'm exaggerating when I say it takes me to a room that doesn't exist in any IRE Game, and you're be right, but it is precisely what it feels like. I get that I "shouldn't need an overhead map and blah blah blah walk from here to there by pure memory and know exactly where I am blah blah blah playing the game for eons blah blah blah." I apologize for having a handicap of needing a little GUI overhead map thing to maintain SI and mobility. It is my damn binky and I will shank anyone who disses my binky.

Don't know who the hell I have to throw credits at to buy an effing map that works, and namely someone who can help me set the damn thing up. The one benefit of having a job that leaves you with insufficient time to sleep, eat, and bathe is you can literally throw money at unicorns to make any and every aggrivating problem go away. I even read some guys name that has the best damn map for IMap ever made and he allegedly updates it every 10 seconds and it will single handedly make you win Aetolia, Achaea, and Imperian. You're screwed for Lusternia and Midkemia tho.

Where are you problem-solving people, take my money.

• SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    I use the map converter Lanira made and download the map from Aetolia.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Xavin's map file is well worth the price, and he sends you updates when there's changes to Aet's map!

As for a window that displays it, well, I'm running Echidnashaker, and there's one in that. I think any system you get will have a map capture, and you could probably pick a decent one out of one of the freebie systems around.

ArekaJensenArbre
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn

Xavin. That is the name. Maybe he responds to messages, we'll find out.

@Eleanor I use Citadel at present, so I think it should work. I have a little map capture in the corner of my screen. Gads I hope it works.

@Setne I tried that. I tried to download the map from www.aetolia.com/maps/map.xml or whatever the link is and it yells at me and says "403! U BAD MOFO! GO AWAY!" Soooo... that's out of the question.

Is Xavin's currently up to date with all the damn changes to the world? I can run around and reset the map tags for my frequently-visited places with enough ease, but I'll be damned when I try and walk around somewhere if it jumps me all over the place like a freaking frog from Frogger.

• DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Xavin's is very up to date.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Arbre
  • My name has been repeated three times. I've been summoned.

But seriously, @Demarcus, if you're interested shoot me a message in game. I'll get you set up and such if you want, too, if you have teamviewer. Otherwise I can try to walk you through it.

• The absolute no desire to login.
    imageimage
    Setne
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Elwyn said:
    The absolute no desire to login.
    Hey, this.

I log in because there are two - yes, two - people that I had things going with rp wise that I really feel like a jerk to drop, but logging in right now is literally on my list of chores.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    This is part confession, part rage. When I created Angwe, I had no concept in mind whatsoever except that the Sentinels were supakoo'. I literally just logged in and ad-libbed a cop out amnesia story because I gave it 0 thought beforehand. Sometimes I go to the character breakdown thread and just stare at it in frustration 'cause I can't bring myself to fill in all those blanks! I don't know HOW to answer them! On one hand, this has allowed Angwe to develop his own 'personality' organically. But really, sometimes I don't know why he acts the way he does, and this can be extremely limiting. Sometimes people say things about hints of a deep and complex character and I'm like, 'Wut. Oh, uh, yeah!' The rage is that IDK how to fix him w/o potentially conflicting with decisions he's made in the past or completely changing him.
    All the things you've experienced since creation - have those be the defining moments. I change aspects of Moi all the time, based on stuff she's experienced. 
    SolariaLinKatszia
    Angwe said:
    This is part confession, part rage. When I created Angwe, I had no concept in mind whatsoever except that the Sentinels were supakoo'. I literally just logged in and ad-libbed a cop out amnesia story because I gave it 0 thought beforehand. Sometimes I go to the character breakdown thread and just stare at it in frustration 'cause I can't bring myself to fill in all those blanks! I don't know HOW to answer them! On one hand, this has allowed Angwe to develop his own 'personality' organically. But really, sometimes I don't know why he acts the way he does, and this can be extremely limiting. Sometimes people say things about hints of a deep and complex character and I'm like, 'Wut. Oh, uh, yeah!' The rage is that IDK how to fix him w/o potentially conflicting with decisions he's made in the past or completely changing him.
    Jensen was my second character that worked for me.  I have loads of others but this one seemed to play out the best organically.  The pain for me now is that I reached all the goals I set out to accomplish, but I didnt have a great RP plan in mind when I started him.  I've matured as a player while Jensen grew, and it is apparent to me, but 90% of the people Jensen started around are gone so I doubt many notice it.  When I reawoke him just before you started playing I tossed in fighting, endgame, and cannibalism to add flavor, which has worked to an extent, but now I'm in the same boat as you.

• I am glad to know others out there feel like I am. I'm probably going to play an alt I created recently and see if that will work but I feel bad abandoning ppl I do have rp with on Elwyn. I hope they will understand that I just need a break from her.
    imageimage
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    It rankles me when people submit things to the design queue but don't take the time to approve or reject the other things in there, at least in the same tradeskill. Pull your weight!

AarbrokIshinErzsebet
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    I'm not sure if this is still the case, but you used to have to pay gold in order to be able to approve things. Additionally, I'm far from certain whether some items are using the correct grammar or not and typically tend to leave these items as they are rather than approving something that might be wrong or rejecting something that might be right.

Plus, the last few times I went over the queue, people got mad at me. So don't really feel like I want to bother with it.
This discussion has been closed.