Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• edited April 2017
    This is probably a silly idea, but could the Den be altered for WereRavens to be like.. Roost, usable in trees, and effectively a Den in that it creates a room IN, has all the effects of a Den, it can only be used in trees, however. (Maybe just add the option for Ravens, on top of all the other stuff)

I'd suggest the same for Crocs, letting them do something similar in rivers, lakes, or swamps... but yeah, flavor.

Rhoynn
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Satomi said:
    This is probably a silly idea, but could the Den be altered for WereRavens to be like.. Roost, usable in trees, and effectively a Den in that it creates a room IN, has all the effects of a Den, it can only be used in trees, however. (Maybe just add the option for Ravens, on top of all the other stuff) I'd suggest the same for Crocs, letting them do something similar in rivers, lakes, or swamps... but yeah, flavor.
    It's already a nest thematically. I think Tiur decided that putting it in trees had a lot of wonky code implications to it. 
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    TiurZaila
  • @Oleis oo, fair enough!

• TiurTiur Producer
    @Oleis has it. I was worried for the interactions with those who don't have swinging, people coming out being subject to shaking, and the lower incidence of environments with branches vs normal den environment choices. I didn't want a nest to be objectively worse.

Your patron can redescribe a den anyway, make it look not so... basic.
  • With an inherent tracking skill available to all wereforms, and Atavians having an inherent TRAVERSE skill for tracking in a local area with balance.

Can Wereravens be able to track from in the air, since we are generally a creature with flight it would be nice to have that skill available, or even an inherent TRAVERSE ability since it already has precedent, where people cannot follow you whilst airborne?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    You better not challenge me to a hoist-off @Seir I'm an OG. "claws115268" wyvern's claws, concealed.
  • edited April 2017
    So, folks that can harvest are focusing their harvesting abilities on the new cures as opposed to the older ones, understandably, which makes finding the old ones for those of us with fumology pretty tricky.

I'm aware we could just go harvest small amounts at a time ourselves, but there's always complaints about the game not having enough goldsinks; could we maybe get a mob set up in Esterport selling the old herbs? Boom goldsink for the folks too lazy to go harvest things to support their tradeskills/talents, AND it allows people to not waste part of their daily quotas on old cures.

EDIT: Rather than double posting, adding another: it'd be nice if we could FORGET FISHING and get back a chunk of the credits we put into it. Tradeskills allow for 66 credits of the 100 invested, and most other credit investments offer some way to get rid of it and get some back via tradein/similar.

EDIT 2: It'd be awesome if the artifact gauntlet/goggles were a staple offered by the ylem merchants, and were there every time. I don't quite get the need to change these out considering their high cost, this would be another good place for a gold sink that's consistent.
    Mariena
  • Double posting because evidently I just can't stop pushing for ideas.

For those of us that are impulsive when it comes to our credits, the ones that have credits just burning a hole in our pockets dying to be spent that browse the artifact list repeatedly...

AP LIST UNDER X

...would be amazing.

I have 100 credits? AP LIST UNDER 100 CREDITS would show me all artifacts 100 credits and below. Some sort of filter type deal like that would be nice. Same could work in reverse I suppose for OVER X for consistency, but the former would likely be more useful.
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Koda said:

Double posting because evidently I just can't stop pushing for ideas.

For those of us that are impulsive when it comes to our credits, the ones that have credits just burning a hole in our pockets dying to be spent that browse the artifact list repeatedly...

AP LIST UNDER X

...would be amazing.

I have 100 credits? AP LIST UNDER 100 CREDITS would show me all artifacts 100 credits and below. Some sort of filter type deal like that would be nice. Same could work in reverse I suppose for OVER X for consistency, but the former would likely be more useful.

Not quite what you're after, but AP LIST 200CR will list everything at 200cr (but not below). I'll look at adding an UNDER argument later on.

There's also AP LIST UNOWNED for the artifact collectors ;)
    KodaFezzix
  • Razmael the hero for that new filter, woo.

Next idea: Could paper maybe be made cacheable? It seems like all other talents/tradeskills have their primary comms, the ones that appear as base comms in just about every design (see: tobacco/leafs for fumology, sulphur, etc. for pyrotechnics, etc. etc.) cacheable except for papercrafting.

I totally get the argument for miscellaneous gems, cooking materials, rarer ingredients etc. not all having a spot in the cache, but seeing as paper is a required component for most of these designs, I think it merits falling into the cacheable category.
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Koda said:

Razmael the hero for that new filter, woo.

Next idea: Could paper maybe be made cacheable? It seems like all other talents/tradeskills have their primary comms, the ones that appear as base comms in just about every design (see: tobacco/leafs for fumology, sulphur, etc. for pyrotechnics, etc. etc.) cacheable except for papercrafting.

I totally get the argument for miscellaneous gems, cooking materials, rarer ingredients etc. not all having a spot in the cache, but seeing as paper is a required component for most of these designs, I think it merits falling into the cacheable category.

There already is cacheable paper. You can buy paper from Ood for fumology items, and that paper can be stored in the cache. Papercrafting paper is entirely different. So essentially, you have two types of paper already in existence, but you can't use one to craft your design if it uses the other.
  • Phoenecia said:

There already is cacheable paper. You can buy paper from Ood for fumology items, and that paper can be stored in the cache. Papercrafting paper is entirely different. So essentially, you have two types of paper already in existence, but you can't use one to craft your design if it uses the other.

Right, I should have specified cacheable papercrafting paper, specifically. It's a base comm for most of those items, so swapping it out for the fumology one isn't quite possible, as far as I'm aware. I was under the impression that you could only swap out additional commodities, not clear base ones.

As of now, papercrafting paper appears to be the exception to the rule, or one of them.
    The problem I see with making papercrafting paper cacheable is that you end up with two different kinds of paper in your cache with no way of being able to differentiate them. This might not pose a problem to you if you only have Papercrafting. But if you're like me and have both Fumology AND Papercrafting? It becomes a huge annoyance. The only real solution then becomes just making both Fumology and Papercrafting use the same paper comm.
  • edited May 2017
    Phoenecia said:

The problem I see with making papercrafting paper cacheable is that you end up with two different kinds of paper in your cache with no way of being able to differentiate them. This might not pose a problem to you if you only have Papercrafting. But if you're like me and have both Fumology AND Papercrafting? It becomes a huge annoyance. The only real solution then becomes just making both Fumology and Papercrafting use the same paper comm.

The other solution might be to do similar to ash (the herb) and elemental ash. Have one refered to as paper, and the other as papers.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    Pazradym
  • That would work. Or it could work like wood and magewood do. Currently if you outc wood it'll alternate between pulling actual wood and magewood.

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Xavin said:

That would work. Or it could work like wood and magewood do. Currently if you outc wood it'll alternate between pulling actual wood and magewood.

God that drives me NUTS.
    KerrynTeaniErzsebet
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I wish a mage would.
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Aishia said:

I wish a mage would.

Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Erzsebet
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    A cheaper artifact keg for brewing/drinks. Or a woodcrafting design for it!
    Mariena
  • ValainValain Enorian
    Two things related to Templars.

Could poleaxe be added as a two-handed blunt weapon noun?

Additionally, I feel like field plate should be equal to full plate in terms of stats so as to open up RP. Otherwise, mechanically, I don't see why anyone would ever use it. While this might not be realistic, I already don't see armour stats as particularly realistic (this isn't a criticism), plus the difference could be RPed.
    Valain said:

Additionally, I feel like field plate should be equal to full plate in terms of stats so as to open up RP. Otherwise, mechanically, I don't see why anyone would ever use it. While this might not be realistic, I already don't see armour stats as particularly realistic (this isn't a criticism), plus the difference could be RPed.

Poleaxes would be halberds, which fall under the Large Blades category in forging. Unfortunately, only Carnifex can use halberds. Templars do have access to glaives, though, for polearms, which is what I have Phoe use.

As far as fieldplate and fullplate go, once upon a time it used to be that fullplate could only be made and worn by the person who forged it, so if you weren't a forger, you were stuck with fieldplate. I kind of feel like fieldplate should have been done away with since you'll always be going for fullplate anyway for a knight class.
  • ValainValain Enorian
    Phoenecia said:

Valain said:

Poleaxes would be halberds, which fall under the Large Blades category in forging. Unfortunately, only Carnifex can use halberds. Templars do have access to glaives, though, for polearms, which is what I have Phoe use.

As far as fieldplate and fullplate go, once upon a time it used to be that fullplate could only be made and worn by the person who forged it, so if you weren't a forger, you were stuck with fieldplate. I kind of feel like fieldplate should have been done away with since you'll always be going for fullplate anyway for a knight class.
    My understanding was that the poleaxe was a different weapon from a halberd - shorter, with a hammer head frequently instead of an axe head - and that the word 'axe' didn't so specifically mean a blade to medieval people.

I take your point in regard to plate, although I was thinking that a breastplate might jive better thematically if someone were to use rapiers rather than longswords, for instance, without really necessitating a mechanical change, balance-wise. More of a muskateer sort of theme, equipment-wise, without the muskets. Less classically knightly, though, I guess. Honestly, plate-wearing rapier wielders has always felt odd to me.
  • DrestynDrestyn Bloodloch
    @Valain Get a forger to make a custom set of armour. Problem solved.

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    edited May 2017
    Breastplate is valid synonym for fullplate, I think.

As to the poleaxe dispute:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollaxe

Valain
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Idea #517
    2017/05/18 18:45:26: Please oh please oh please please please: make minipets WANDER at half-or-more the current frequency

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?! Reduce the spam! REDUCE!
    Arbre
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    oh my god you should see the fury with which this one hedgehog rolls about with
  • TiurTiur Producer
    @Aishia @Zaila I have bowed to popular opinion and doubled the speed of minipets.

Actually, I cut it by more than half.
    ZailaLinTeaniArbreDrestynMariena
  • @Tiur This is probably not the spot to ask, but I noticed that Guerrilla, in Wayfaring, is only accessible when you're underground (without mastery), but can't be used when you're in an underground environment. Is that the intent?

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    So, having relied previously on mudbot maps, I decided I'd try going without for a bit. So far I've not felt I've needed it very much, which is nice. Still, there was one feature of mudbot that I liked and very much missed when the WHO list changed. It was the ability to get the area name right next to the list. In an effort to fix this, I set about trying to create my own (not being a coder really sucks, just so you know) and I'm sure there are smarter ways to go about this than the way I chose.

Anyway, on to my little idea!
    After working on this tedious task, I realized that it might be good for more people to get this little feature, so I'm asking, is it possible for Admin to code in the areas to show after the vnum on WHO? Only if the person has the vnum, of course.

To demonstrate what it might look like (since I've already done a large part of the world for myself in (possibly) hideous color-code):

KelliaraRhyotZailaArbreKodaXavinMarienaSarita
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    edited May 2017
    I like that - I like that a LOT! I especially like it with different colors for different places!

Edit-to-add:
    If this feels like something that the admin wouldn't want automatically available for viewing, I'd totally buy an arti to do this for me, for the record.