Mafia: Original Flavor

Comments

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Moirean said:

I don't even get how you can "accidentally" "reveal" that you didn't get a PM. I'm just operating under the assumption that everyone will SAY that they didn't get one as proof of their innocence and that everyone actually did get a PM until confirmed otherwise.

Just to clarify why things look strange to me (and maybe this is all because English is not my native tongue or something, I don't know).

The bolded part is what makes me pause. To me it reads as if you await some kind of confirmation on whether everyone got a PM or not, and until you do, you're going to assume everyone got one.

Based on my knowledge, I consider it confirmed that not everyone got a PM, thus making me believe that since you require confirmation, you actually did get a PM, making you a power role.

I thought maybe I should toss that out there for others to read it again and say if my English really is that bad or not.

• @Teani, what she's saying there is that everyone (even those who did get a PM) are now going to say that they did not receive one.

• Personally, I don't think there's much to gain off spending a lot of time dissecting that statement, but feel free!

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Again. I am not saying that everyone got a PM. I am saying that I am playing the game under the assumption that everyone got one (ie EVERYONE IS MAFIA) unless proved otherwise. It was a throwaway comment basically just reiterating what the game's basic premise is, explaining it in terms of the PMs, since Demarcus was saying him not getting a PM was important. I was replying that WE ALL are gonna say we didn't get PMs. We go in, suspicious that everyone is mafia, while everyone pretends to be a villager.
  • The other game we played I got voted out because we wanted to rush through the round, brought up by Moirean. The first round of this game Moirean got on me because of some mix up with Llok, somehow. And now she's brought me up again. I'm really not sure what I did, but there are people far less talkative/active than me.

The reason I didn't want to change my vote is because I would've gone to a no lynch last round, and from what I've read, that would've made me look more guilty? So I'm sort of in a pickle now.

Vote: Llok

I agree with what Moirean had to say about his posts. He might even be mafia and we could hit two with one stone!
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I see. Sorry if I misunderstood that statement then. It really threw me off, especially since I don't go in thinking everyone is mafia. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong? I actually try to discern all kinds of roles. <.<

• edited August 2014
    Damariel said:

The cock crows - and dawn breaks over the little town of Puzzolente. It finds most of the population already awake, clustered around a grand casa down Via Pistola. The door has been broken in, the furniture smashed and burnt, and its occupant, Aryanne, shot several times over. The polizia have been quick to lock down the scene, looking for any evidence that could point to the murderers.

Edit: @Damariel‌ can this be interpreted as not the dirty cop, as there were multiple shots as opposed to 1?

• There was only one kill performed last night. I have opted to not directly clarify who was responsible in any of the reports I give.
  • Ok, so the investigator investigated me and found me as innocent. He decided to take a leap of faith and contact me, we also decided to bring Serrice in on the fold of our conversation.

Serrice is reluctant to trust the both of us, however, I think it's in the town's best interest if the dirty cop were to contact me at this time.

I have been debating on whether Aryanne's death was the result of the dirty cop and perhaps the mafia attempted to snipe Serrice, or if the cop has not used up any bullets yet.

Moirean
  • I'm a little suss at Xenia at the moment. She claims Jailor but it might be a ploy to keep the townspeople from lynching her. If I was the jailor at this point I wouldn't put in a counter claim as if Xenia is Mafioso you'll be dead pretty quickly and no one could protect townspeople. I'll wait a bit before voting but I'm leaning to Xenia.

Politics
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    To be fair, if someone else claims Jailer, then we can at least kill one scum along with the 'Jailer'. If no one claims, then we might kill scum and one innocent... or we could kill two innocents.

Idk, I feel like it's paramount that if Xenia is lying and there is a real Jailer out there, that they should claim right now.

• Mm, a tricky situation indeed. Basically none of the Xenia's claims is verifiable. Going to wait how that develops, in the meantime:

Vote: Jami

This is more of a hunch than anything, but she made a total of two posts, first of which was "I play for the first time", and second one was "Demarcus sounds like scum", which sounds like a mafia trying to blend in.

Also still suspicious of Piper, as we had a train on Piper in the first round and it got random-diverted towards Demarcus.

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    edited August 2014
    I don't know. If Xenia was the real jailer, why did she first claim she was the fencer in the first round? The only thing that actually did was to force one of the power roles to speak up, and now the mafia know who not to hit (the fencer). Why would you even be jailing the fencer when the mafia would want to hold off killing her for as long as possible? Killing the fencer at night would remove one of their own and since their numbers are really limited, they would just avoid killing her altogether?

I changed my vote to Xenia because her actions came off as really suspicious and it seemed like we'd have a way of verifying one scum on day one (both Serrice and Xenia had claimed the fencer role so one was obviously lying and why the hell would a townie do that?). I changed my vote from Xenia because everyone else had already jumped another train and we were obviously not going to lynch her on day one, at which point my vote on her was not doing anything at all. If I was indeed mafia, I would have kept my vote on her to avoid suspicion and let whoever else felt like day one was dragging on for too long to seal Demarcus's fate (a train that did not really make any sense to me at all in the first place).

People kept going back and forth without really comitting to anything and it was confuzzling the hell out of me because there was no logic to what was going on.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Ack. I edited my post for typo but then I realized we're not supposed to edit posts at all in these games, right? So, meh.
  • You do know there is TWO investigators. One Town and one mafia.

• I apologise Moi!

Your gambit from the last game was make or break, a hero if you won or a villain if you lost. And I would have applauded you had you won, but you didn't and I needed a way to break away from my mafia companions so I targeted Aarbrok. Exposed what gave the detective away and villainised you to get people on my side.

This game my comment wasn't really targeted at you at all but the entire vote train to one who hasn't had a great deal of time came out of nowhere. It was random diversion off someone with a reasonable cause to lynch.

I have a few questions because I dont have an amazing amount of times.

Is Xenia the jailor?

Slyphe, please don't be so harsh with your comments, last game we targeted you as the one to do our job for us and you did it better than any of us could. Thanks.

The diversion of the train away from Xenia (which I read as primarily lead by Moirean) struck me as dodgy, seeing as Demarcus had done nothing that seemed questionable, bar try to talk about what was going on. The telling point is that the train on Xenia wouldn't stick while the train on an innocent went full speed ahead.

We have a number of quiet people. Typical scum play would be to hide among the various groups that form.

There's the quiet people which Demarcus did last game.
    The semi posters who add reasonable logic to the game. (I did this last game, FU if you think I didnt :P )
    The loud posters who draw a lot of attention, aka Aarbrok.

I don't see any reason for Xenia to not have died last night if she's the jailor. Mafia trying to bait us in to wasting a day round on her? Possibly.

@ Parker - Moirean said you jumped onto a train with little visibility which is why she voted for you. I voted you for the irony of the reason presented.

I want to agree with Ilyon, however, sounds like a good call.

Vote: Jami
  • @‌Alexina and whoever else, I am going to explain my logic again, plus include some of my new decisions.

Why I claimed fencer:

1. Fencer can be killed by the mafia's sniper rifle at night without taking out any of the mafioso.
    2. At the time, before Serrice CC'd me, I was the only person who had inadvertently claimed a power role.
    3. I assumed that since I was not mafia, that the mafia would likely look to off me in the night.
    4. If I said I was the fencer then the mafia would waste their sniper shot on me, and the real fencer would be safe from that.
    5. I would get a role call from the town, tell those people that I was actually the jailer.
    6. I figured that the fencer would not speak up because they know that if anyone attacks them they would kill them, but not if they were shot by a sniper rifle; a fake fencer would mean a wasted sniper shot.

Why I jailed fencer:

1. I figure mafia is wavering between me and Serrice. Since Llok, you and a number of others are already suspicious of me, my guess is they may try and off Serrice.
    2. They can do so safely with the sniper rifle, but not if she is locked in my jail cell.
    3. Anyone in a jail cell is immune to all attacks, however I am always a sitting duck.
    4. On the chance that they attacked Serrice, whom I believe to be the true fencer (perhaps incorrectly), there would still be 2 town power roles alive.

Am I speaking to the real Investigator?

1. A mafioso will not gain any new information about who is who by reaching out to me, this also goes for including Serrice in on the conversation.
    2. The best a fake investigator can do is guide us in the wrong direction on who to lynch, however they seem to be as unsure as I, in that they spent their evening investigating me.
    3. I am likely going to be killed off tonight by the mafia, if it is the real investigator, then they need a voice to speak through, Serrice will have to be that voice.
    4. If the investigator dies tonight then it's possible that Serrice or I are not who we say we are. I felt it important to make the information that someone claiming to be the investigator had reached out to me to the town.

My actions from this point forward:
    1. I have made a number of mistakes in that first day, I don't see myself as the best 'leader' to the town. Since I am pretty much out there with an X on my head, to both sides, the best I can do is offer information, my own logic, and hope that the town prevails.
    2. There are 16 people alive. If I assume that everyone who has claimed a role to me is telling the truth, this gives gives me 13 people who are possibly guilty. 2/13 (15%) is the dirty cop and the innocent, 1/13 (8%) is the lover, 4/13 (31%) are the mafia.
    3. The dirty cop will investigate as guilty, this may throw the investigator off accidentally. If we can save some time and confusion on this with a PM from the dirty cop to me, this will likely be good for the town.

• Numbers and statistics have never been something that really aide in my decision making process. For me, it just makes matters confusing.

We still have quite a few people who have not said anything for this day. I want to hear them speak up before I can try to determine who is on my side or not, and that I can trust.

Xenia's openess makes it appear I can, but I am leery.
    Given Llok's quick flip to explain away his behavior after I post with logic explaining why he's probably guilty...my vote stays on him.
  • That makes no sense but okay.
  • The problem Xenia is that what invest contacted you. The town invest may not trust you enough and the mafia one contacted you and now you are just a puppet for the mafia. Your doubling claiming is for the most part really really bad for the town as it pretty much killed two power roles in one shot. I doubt the mafia will kill you as you are helping them more than the town itself. With all of that I believe you are more of a liabiltiy to the town so,

Vote: Xenia

I'm confused by the logic there. Someone contacted her saying they are the investigator. Why does that person have to be either mafia/normal investigator?
  • Damon, even if that were true, killing off a town member isn't going to help the town. I'm going to sit on my vote until more people respond.

• Cause if the mafia invest gets her, have her protect one of them to keep the vigil from shooting a baddie. Like the 4th mafiaso or associate to keep them safe till later on in the game.

• That would be an issue if the investigator were instructing me on who to jail, thing is, that hasn't happened, and I don't think it will. What I imagine happening is me saying I'm jailing person X.

She doesn't see a message about being investigated, unless I'm missing something in the rules. I don't see where you are getting that the only other alternative to our investigator contacting her is the mafia one doing it.
  • She said the invest contacted her, yet she does not know which one it is. Because, there is no way to tell. As far as I am concerned I will not be trusting anything Xenia has to say during this game until the mafia invest has been killed.

Damariel said that there is no anonymous note passing this game. Someone contacted her, saying that they are the investigator. I am not sure if your insistence on that person being SOLELY potentially one of the two investigators is a result of confusion or knowledge that the rest of us don't have.

From how I'm reading it, there's no facilitated note passing. So, basically, we contact each other, and can claim a role. There's no sort of verification in there, and anyone can PM anyone else saying they are whatever role they want.
  • Yes, and what I am saying is A: someone contacted her saying they are the invest. B: what invest contacted. C: Using her as the main source of information for the town currently, with who knows what actual invest (if they are in fact the invest contacted her). Gives her the ability to start a train on someone, yet not know who really is leading the choo choo.

Yeah but I'm saying ANYONE could have contacted her saying they were the investigator, not just the two investigators. If if was only the two investigators, yeah, I'd be like hmm, well which is it - but the fact that ANYONE could have done this and ONLY one person did, seems to make it more likely that the person is who they say, if that makes sense? I don't understand why you are going on about the mafia investigator - whoever contacted her seems to have made it clear that they were the village investigator. I don't know why the mafia investigator would role-claim to her.