Mafia: Original Flavor

Comments

• DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Serrice said:

@Moirean: I think you do misunderstand, because I don't see anything at all in the rules that says that if you claim innocent, @Damariel‌ comes down and public affirms it. We might as well just have everyone claim right now as a logical conclusion of that assumption and end the game right now.

As for the question of why an innocent would claim Fencer: well there is one reason, but I'm of the opinion that Xenia isn't using it, just because the reward is really small (mafia wastes their sniper rifle) and the potential consequences are too large (dirty cop accidentally hits the /real/ Fencer).

Also, the rules state that Le'Innocente, the Innocent *CAN* roleclaim and be affirmed by Divine Declaration at ANY POINT in the game. Soooo... you could claim innocent. In fact, the Innocent role-claiming may not be a terrible strategy since it gives us a confirmed person to go to, that can be 100% protected at night, and can let all true and false role-claims go through them. Just throwing the idea out there. I'll let others analyze it because I am one sleepy-Demarcus!
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    That sounds like the best idea - however, given how things turned out last game...
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    Even if the Innocent claims and  is confirmed, how can all the other power rules be confirmed. For instance, both Serrice and Xenia could claim through Innocent and it'd take time for us to get that sorted. Also, what happened last game?

Ahh, never mind. I found the thread and figured it out. Bad luck, that.

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    I think y'all missed the part where I said I forgot that there was actually a role named 'Innocent' in the game and that I meant 'townie'.

• I would not go with the role claim yet, yes. the Innocent would be the best one to protect. But, there is that chance of the warden getting pot shotted first. I say see where this plays out then go for a lock. Because yes, the Innocent can role claim, but there is TWO invests, one for both sides. Wait till the mafia invest is killed then go for it.

Serrice said:

I think y'all missed the part where I said I forgot that there was actually a role named 'Innocent' in the game and that I meant 'townie'.

Nah. I saw it. It just severely lessens the likelihood of you being the Lover.

While I was in the shower, I realized that the Lover had a good reason to claim as the Fencer. Even if someone tries to shoot you at night, your bulletproof vest absorbs it, amrite? So the only way you die is to lynch. If you claim the Fencer, unless someone bothers to investigate you which is pointless unless the power roles rally around you, you get to skate by free and clear. Everyone presumes you're innocent, and neither the Dirty Cop nor the Mafia are going to target you at night for fear of getting stabbed through the heart with a foil when they bring a gun to a fencing bout. So, there is the off-chance that one or the other is the Lover. Either way, it's still a win-win for the town to kill one (or both) of them.
  • Alright, guys, I had no clue that this had already started. Bad me. Give me a bit and I will read through everything and respond.
    @Demarcus, the lover is killed by the sniper rifle, which is the same thing the fencer is killed by.
  • Sigh, nothing is getting done here..

Vote: NoVote
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Xenia's slip-up.. I want to say it was an honest mistake. I don't believe, however, that she is the fencer. I'd definitely try and pull something like that to save my hide if I was in the position.

Unvote: Slyphe
    Vote: Xenia
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    With the counter claim i certainly puts Xenia's claim into question.

Unvote Aryanne
    Vote Xenia

• I'm not really comfortable with voting for any of the two fencer claims in round one. Going with Parker, then, both to get things moving and because I agree that the third vote seems a convenient place for a mafia member to try to push a train onwards. A bit of a tall shot, and one that I don't really expect to yield results, but it seems like the best one we have currently.

Unvote: Aren
    Vote: Parker

The fencer is somewhat of a dead man walking right now. If Xenia's the Fencer, then Serrice is a free baddie lynch. I saw we lynch Xenia and either hit a baddie....or know who to lynch next.

• I've kept silent for some time, because a number of mistakes have been made and I have been trying to figure out how to best rectify this situation. Throughout all the discussion, it's made me suspicious of @Demarcus. The only thing I can think to do is to just try to fully explain my actions, be honest and just hope that what is turning into a snowball of a problem for the town won't further become exacerbated.

I am the Warden of the prison. When I made that initial slip up admitting to getting a PM, I panicked. I didn't want to claim warden because well, the warden can not protect themselves. I saw myself as a deadman walking no matter what I did so I studied the various roles and decided that I had the best potential of helping the town by taking the sniper shot, offering a networking chance to the other power roles, and informing them of my true role.

My hopes were that the real fencer would read into my request to hold off a train in order to allow for further discussion as the actions of a town aligned person, or perhaps, would simply keep quiet. I have no reason to believe that Serrice is lying.

This turn of events must likely be a feeding day for the Mafia, making them think they have another easy game as they all know that neither of us are within their ranks. Demarcus' reasoning and argument would ensure that two town power roles were dead by day 2. His push for this, the seed of doubt planted within the minds of those who may have been willing to claim their roles and gleam what could be from it all, has made me feel certain that he likely is aligned with the mafia.

Vote: Demarcus

Can you elaborate on what you are citing as Demarcus's logic?

Well, now the Innocent definitely shouldn't claim if that's true. 

Xenia said:

I've kept silent for some time, because a number of mistakes have been made and I have been trying to figure out how to best rectify this situation. Throughout all the discussion, it's made me suspicious of @Demarcus. The only thing I can think to do is to just try to fully explain my actions, be honest and just hope that what is turning into a snowball of a problem for the town won't further become exacerbated.

I am the Warden of the prison. When I made that initial slip up admitting to getting a PM, I panicked. I didn't want to claim warden because well, the warden can not protect themselves. I saw myself as a deadman walking no matter what I did so I studied the various roles and decided that I had the best potential of helping the town by taking the sniper shot, offering a networking chance to the other power roles, and informing them of my true role.

My hopes were that the real fencer would read into my request to hold off a train in order to allow for further discussion as the actions of a town aligned person, or perhaps, would simply keep quiet. I have no reason to believe that Serrice is lying.

This turn of events must likely be a feeding day for the Mafia, making them think they have another easy game as they all know that neither of us are within their ranks. Demarcus' reasoning and argument would ensure that two town power roles were dead by day 2. His push for this, the seed of doubt planted within the minds of those who may have been willing to claim their roles and gleam what could be from it all, has made me feel certain that he likely is aligned with the mafia.

Vote: Demarcus

Now you're just grasping at straws. The metaphorical noose tightens and you're panicking. It's natural.

As for being suspicious of me? Nah. I fully realized that in bringing up the PM information I would mark myself as a vanilla Townie, which is absolutely the worst thing I could do for myself. I'm a dead man walking. There is a lot of information that can be gleaned from what has been posted, and if you think I'm *that* good to pretend to not notice the thread and then bring it up in a knee-jerk post, well, I'm flattered. I really am.

For those that don't know why being a confirmed townie is bad, you're one less random-lynch for day rounds, meaning an increased likelihood of hitting mafia. Typically the Mafia will target those that have been confirmed via Investigation or an awkward slip-up. They could choose to go after randoms to try for power roles. It depends. But in general, people knowing that you're free and clear is bad juju.

@Moirean I didn't see the part about sniper rifles passing the bulletproof vest. I just read the "wears a bulletproof vest that will stop any attempts to kill them at night." I assumed the 'any' was in fact all-inclusive and meant *any* attempt, but I see now the sniper rifle superscedes that and it should actually read "will stop all but a kill attempt with a sniper rifle." Or something to that effect.
    Should clarify since I despise editing posts: the knee-jerk post was my very first one saying I didn't realize the game had started yesterday, and afterwards realizing the lack of PM's to Townies could be very useful for early sniffs on power roles. I debated not bringing it up, but in the end figured my life for a Mafia's (or in this case, two, since Xenia is now vouching for Serrice... hrmmmmm!) was well worth it. I stand by my choice!
  • Hrm. I'm kinda with Ilyon in this. I just don't feel comfortable voting for Xenia or Serrice at this point. I especially don't see a need to suspect Serrice when it is the only counterclaim to fencer, and Xenia has now un-claimed fencer. I mean. This -could- be a crafty-nifty ploy by both of them, but it feels too disorganized for that.

On one hand, we could wait and see if someone counter-claims warden now, (which of course I think we'll do regardless of whatever ELSE we do) but in general, I don't feel comfortable voting for Xenia yet.

@Demarcus‌
    Why would you even think that "marking [yourself] as a vanilla townie" is "is absolutely the worst thing [you] could do for [your]self"? EVERYONE wants to come across as a vanilla townie in the beginning, as that makes you the lowest-priority-target possible. The Mafia wants to kill the power roles at night and the townies want to kill the mafia during the day. I expect several baddies who've been slow-to-respond, sitting in the rafters, are going to use that very ploy to lessen potential suspicion, "Oh! I didn't get a message! I thought it hadn't started yet!"

Suspicion increased markedly.

Piper
    Ugh, if you ARE the warden, don't counter-claim. That just gives the mafia another confirmed power role. I think we should either do a no-lynch, or lynch someone unrelated and watch to see how stuff shakes out in the night round. I'm going back to my Parker vote, mostly because Parker seems super flippant - she even said that nothing is happening, when this is a hella active round 1...

Demarcus
  • Moirean said:

Ugh, if you ARE the warden, don't counter-claim. That just gives the mafia another confirmed power role. I think we should either do a no-lynch, or lynch someone unrelated and watch to see how stuff shakes out in the night round. I'm going back to my Parker vote, mostly because Parker seems super flippant - she even said that nothing is happening, when this is a hella active round 1...

...what? Where did I say that. I've made two posts, one was a vote in the beginning and another was a somewhat joking post after someone said I looked suspicious. I've never said nothing was happening, and both of my two posts were before the two pages of discussion. Where you come off writing that, I'm honestly unsure.
    Parker said:

Not an early round death again, argh!

Vote: Aren.

Parker said:

I've played two..maybe three mafia games in all my years, and I had no idea that being third on a vote train on the first day was a bad thing. Someone show me all the unwritten rules!

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Best way to confirm is to lynch Xenia or I right now, imo, not jump on a random person. I still think Xenia's scum, but either way, since we're both claiming, we should lynch one of us, see what the results are, then study the voting patterns and the arguments that were made at the conclusion of this day.

@Parker - Erk, my mistake, I confused you with Llok. Your avatars are really similar.

@Serrice - Uhh, no. If Xenia IS the freaking warden, then we lose that. At the least, she can protect SOMEONE for a night round - if we lynch her, we lose even that.
    Aryanne
    For the record, @Parker was chosen because I rolled a four and she was fourth on the list. I'm actually going to withdraw my vote from her because, so far, there's been nothing she's done that has me thinking she might be scummy. My original vote was random and just to get people talking.

This is getting really messy though and, for the first time ever, I'm considering to vote for a No Lynch while people are investigated.

Sorry, forgot the:

Unvote: Parker
    Aryanne said:

Hrm. I'm kinda with Ilyon in this. I just don't feel comfortable voting for Xenia or Serrice at this point. I especially don't see a need to suspect Serrice when it is the only counterclaim to fencer, and Xenia has now un-claimed fencer. I mean. This -could- be a crafty-nifty ploy by both of them, but it feels too disorganized for that.

On one hand, we could wait and see if someone counter-claims warden now, (which of course I think we'll do regardless of whatever ELSE we do) but in general, I don't feel comfortable voting for Xenia yet.

@Demarcus‌
    Why would you even think that "marking [yourself] as a vanilla townie" is "is absolutely the worst thing [you] could do for [your]self"? EVERYONE wants to come across as a vanilla townie in the beginning, as that makes you the lowest-priority-target possible. The Mafia wants to kill the power roles at night and the townies want to kill the mafia during the day. I expect several baddies who've been slow-to-respond, sitting in the rafters, are going to use that very ploy to lessen potential suspicion, "Oh! I didn't get a message! I thought it hadn't started yet!"

Suspicion increased markedly.

Which is why I'm only counting you and I as legit townies. You had the exact same reaction as I did. Maite very well could be scum using your aforementioned tactic.

I'll try explaining why you DON'T want to be a confirmed vanilla townie one more time:

Say there are 18 people. 4 mafia and a loose cannon. So there are 13 townies. We're all trying to come to a consensus on who to lynch. If we know that Person X is NOT Mafia, we're down to 12 townie targets versus 5 legit targets. If the Mafia kills non-confirmed townies at night, they're dwindling that pool of other players while the town retains an advantage of having confirmed townies alive, skewing the lynches in their favor by just that much more. So, in our case, you and I are good to go, meaning we have 11 innocent targets and 5 bad ones. A 31.25% chance of hitting scum on a purely random lynch. Say we hit a townie. At night, the Lover and the Mafia both kill not you or I. Suddenly it is 8 unknown innocents versus 5 unknown baddies. Odds raise to 38.5% for a random lynch hitting scum. Now, if they kill you and I, they still have those 10 innocents to hide amongst. Brings the chance from 38.5% to 33.3% (assuming the Lover targets me and the Mafia targets you, or the other way around.) Does that make sense?

Also, being "suspicious" of someone who has all but confirmed via game mechanics that you're innocent, other than basically marking you to die at night, is an awfully odd way to repay them. But hey.
    TBH, even if Maite isn't a scum using that as a tactic, I kinda partially want to lynch her because this game is going to suck if people only check in once every 3+ days.
  • Demarcus said:

So, here's the current status of events:

-Roleclaiming the Fencer is the logical false-claim due to the power. It's basically a dare to use the sniper rifle on you because that's the only way you die without taking anyone with you. I noticed this when I read the role and figured someone would do it. I just didn't want to give anyone the idea to do it to be honest. The REAL Fencer probably wouldn't, because the sniper rifle is really not going to be used unless there is a clear target. The REAL Fencer would be better off not role claiming because then if the Mafia decide to try and night kill them, BAMMO! Sucks to be one of the Mafia.
    -Having TWO members of the Mafia false role claims sets up a nice little 'win-lose-win'. We lynch one of the two, thereby "reaffirming" the other as the so-called real Fencer. Now the Mafia have a 'confirmed' townie Power Role that will no-doubt want the rest of the townie Power Roles to confide in them. Then they get picked off one by one, making it an easy game.

Yeah, so... I suspect the REAL Fencer is laying low. I know I would be.

Worst case scenario? We kill one, it's the Fencer, so we kill the other tomorrow for a confirmed Townie. I'm good with either, but I'm really feeling the both-are-scum mentality.

@Moirean, this entire bit in particular. I have been rolling it around my head, trying to understand how two mafia members, both claiming the fencer, would be a smart move. They expose half of their force as false fencers, they possibly get the real fencer to claim, but ultimately know that nobody else but themselves currently have possession of a sniper rifle. It just doesn't add up to me, I would never go with that plan. What it does do is prevent people from talking to each other, claiming roles, and forestalling any information being shared between the town.

I didn't respond for a long time because I was mulling the possibilities over in my head. First off, why would the fencer out themselves if they knew the sniper was their only way to be killed without retribution?

There were only two logical explanations that I could come up with:

1. The fencer just had a knee jerk reaction to say, "hey, that's my role and this person is lying, all should know," without really thinking about about the repercussions. Something that perhaps those who don't play mafia too often (like Serrice) would probably do.

2. Is the Mafia and wanted to try and prevent people from talking in day 1.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards the first reason, I think that Demarcus is probably mafia trying to ensure two deaths off the town by day 2. Even if you guys don't lynch one of us, it's still very possible to happen because there are two killing factions out there who may very well want to see town roles die off early.

I don't think there should be any more power role claims, though, not yet at least. I mean, the way I see it, I may get lucky and jail the right person at night, assuming you all believe me and don't lynch me, and then we have one or perhaps both Serrice and I alive tomorrow.

Oh, forgot to...

Unvote Parker

Because I fail at recognizing avatars. However, you made more votes than the two you have claimed, so I'll be remembering that discrepancy...

Uhhhh.

I don't really think Demarcus is "confirmed" at all. In fact, I definitely see where Xenia is coming from, now that he's hammered in over and over just how confirmed he is. HE is the one who brought up the power role pm (which I will be dubbing the P3) that's now had TWO of our power roles out themselves. He basically set the bar for when was too soon to be posting, first citing that he thought the game wasn't starting until a day later (to explain away why he wasn't around until then) and then casting a net of potential guilt over everyone who had posted before him who isn't a known forum junkie - which is silly, by the way, since it's absolutely conceivable that all of us would be watching forums in anticipation of the game getting started. And because of the delicious charm drama (the rage thread was absolutely BLOWING UP at the same time as this).

Still, fishing expeditions and all that, and this net managed to haul in Xenia making a mistake and talking about her PM. Her second mistake, claiming as the fencer, then revealed a second power role as Serrice counter-claimed. Not only did these two get outted in a direct response to his own actions, he is pushing for a lynch on them, claiming that they could BOTH BE mafia.

On top of that, he then makes quite a heavy case for why he's a confirmed townie because of this situation he himself created, and subsequently why that means he's completely off the radar for a lynch vote.

Finally, he suggests that maybe the Innocent should ALSO reveal themselves.

It's also kind of a lame way to sniff out mafia. It's really meta and kinda against the spirit of the game, imo.

I'm going to go with Xenia and vote for Demarcus.